TNA Region, Edmonton Subregion, Second Round: (4) Lou Thesz vs. (13) Rikidozan

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Lou Thesz

• Rikidozan

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the TNA Region, Edmonton Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under TNA Rules. It will be held at Rexhall Place, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

53_Rexall_Place_Exterior

13.jpg

#4. Lou Thesz

Vs.

rikidozan.jpg

#13. Rikidozan

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Rikidozan's was hands down the most influential man in the history of Japanese pro wrestling. Though I'd argue his popularity has since been eclipsed by Antonio Inoki and his longevity. Like Frank Gotch, Rikidozan was cut down close or at the peak of his career, so he suffers in the longevity category. But like Santo he was primarily big and one era of the world, even though he did see consistent success in Hawaii. While Thesz was an international superstar known all over the world like Gotch.

Drawing power - ultimately it's Thesz. Even though Dozan still has TV rating records that have not, and probably will not ever be surpassed. By anyone.

Consistency - has to be Thesz again. Not only was he chosen to lead the NWA during the 50's and 60's. But he remained a big star and was brought back to be it's flagstaff champion in the 70's during his late forties. No other NWA champion had the honor of representing the NWA through two eras.

Longevity - Again has to be Thesz.

Accolades - Thesz was a world champion of some sorts longer than anyone else in history, and while Dozan did defeat Thesz for a major title on American soil, Dozan returned the favor several times. The point should probably go to Thesz for his sheer longevity.

Charisma - Split here. Both men knew how to talk, act, and present themselves to an audience. Perhaps Dozan did it better. He was able to drive interest in the pro wrestling industry, where others had tried to get the industry booming there in the past but failed for some reason or another. The problem is that Thesz was also greatly revered in Japan. And I think he was the ultimate compliment to Dozan. Along with others like Karl Gotch.

Overall legacy - Again it probably should be Thesz. All things considered.

In ring ability - I've seen more of Thesz than I have Dozan. Dozan worked primarily one style with little variation, while Thesz was able to adapt to the changes in the industry and rework his style to suit the needs of the audience. He could work face or heel, and could implement the "entertainment" style as well as anyone else, while still never abandoning his roots as a scientific wrestler.

This match should be Thesz's. Usually Dozan loses to someone allot worse than him [ala Bret Hart] but not this year.

Vote Thesz.

Well, these two did wrestle in their primes, and Rikidozan won, but it shouldn't be case closed. Thesz lost to Rikidozan to do him a favour, and it happened for a Japanese audience predominantly. I think there's an argument to give it against Thesz here, but the reality of it is that this would have been a draw, but as we are trying to progress the person with the most likelihood of winning the tournament, Thesz has to take my vote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back