TNA Region, Edmonton Subregion, First Round: (13) Rikidozan vs. (20) Arn Anderson

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Rikidozan

• Arn Anderson

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the TNA Region, Edmonton Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under TNA Rules. It will be held at Rexhall Place, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

53_Rexall_Place_Exterior

rikidozan.jpg

#13. Rikidozan

Vs.

arn-anderson-01.jpg

#20. Arn Anderson

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Arn Anderson, the consummate professional, one of the greatest in-ring technicians of all-time, a fluid, no nonsense delivery on the mic, Hall of Famer, member of the greatest faction in pro wrestling history and WWE agent. Multiple time Tag Team and TV champion across NWA, WCW AND WWF. And sadly, I just can't vote for him in this matchup.

Rikidozan, although of Korean descent, basically single handedly launched pro wrestling (Puroresu) in Japan to meteoric heights. He gained the respect of Lou Thesz, the biggest superstar in the world at the time, winning the NWA International Heavyweight Championship from Thesz in Japan. He trained future greats Inoki and Giant Baba and feuded with Blassie and The Destroyer in the 60s in two more international classics.

Basically what I boil this matchup down to is the fact that without Double A, pro wrestling in America would have been slightly less entertaining during the 80s and early 90s, but without Rikidozan, pro wrestling in Japan wouldn't have risen to the meteoric heights that it did, at least not as quickly as it did.

If you don't know who Rikidozan is by now, then shame on you. Rikidozan is obviously one of the most significant professional wrestlers in history against one of the most significant professional wrestlers in the four horsemen. It's not a contest in terms of their relevance, Rikidozan must win.

Arn Anderson is the single most overrated wrestler in this tournament, I've come to believe. He achieved a pile of NOTHING in singles through his career - one of the greatest tag team/faction wrestlers ever, with a heap of ability, but in a kayfabe tournament there's just nothing to fall back on.

Rikidozan is a perfect example of an early era star that's good enough to progress a few rounds. Do I think his peak was eclipsed by Inoki? for sure. By Misawa? that's closer. but he's got form vs the elite singles wrestlers, and Anderson doesnt. it takes very little thinking for me, and unfortunately Riki has an awful draw in Thesz in round 2 where it's probably all over again. One year we'll get him far though

Honestly I have no idea how Arn Anderson keeps making this tournament. He was a minor Horseman. The muscle. The enforcer. He rode the coattails of men that were 10 times more popular than he was. Seriously he was like the Mark Henry of the group if the Horsemen were the Nation. Shame we couldn't kick him for someone far more deserving like Billy Watson or Joe Stecher. Either of those guys vs Dozan would have been a good match.

Dozan was the father of puroresu and one of the most popular and revered men in Japan along with Karl Gotch and Antonio Inoki. Arn does his spinebuster, it doesn't work, and then he promptly gets squashed.

GG. Vote Dozan.

Disclaimer: I won't pretend that I have in-depth wrestling knowledge about a wide range of superstars. So, I'm going to perform my voting a little differently. There will be 127 matches in total in this tournament. I've comprised a list of 63 random 1v1 events. I'll randomize the list and base my vote off the results of who I think would win the selected event with my odd logic.

This event: Madden 15

Logic: Okay, okay... The front part of my list is top heavy with video games. I'll go with the quick unfunny logic for this one. Arn Anderson looks like a good ole boy who enjoys the sunday ritual of american football. Rikidozan on the other hand probably doesn't know the first thing about american football. If this were baseball, he might have chance. HOWEVER, his country is the innovator of technology and video games. HMMMMMMMMMMM. Nope, Arn Anderson wins.

Winner: Arn Anderson

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back