Who Wins This Matchup?

• Edge

• El Santo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the TNA Region, Brasilia Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under TNA Rules. It will be held at the Nilson Nelson Gymnasium in Brasilia, Brazil.

Nilson+Nelson+Parking+Lot

Edge-Banner.jpg

#7. Edge

Vs.

El_Santo.jpg

#10. El Santo

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Assume that all wrestlers are at full strength after their first round matches.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Tough draw for El Santo, because Edge is the greatest Brazilian wrestlers in the world. If this was a match in any other part of the world, I may have given it to Santo, but unfortunately, Edge is on Home Turf.

Edge for the 1 2 3.

Obviously the winner is Santo, the bigger star to come out of his country, the Hulk Hogan of lucha libre. Edge's career can be summed up by his long slew of week long title reigns that amounted to practically nothing. El Santo was a media darling and wrestling mainstay in Mexico for 40 years. The only American pro wrestler that would have Santo's staying power, influence, and impact would in fact be Hogan.

Santo wins. There's no comparison. If you vote for Edge then you shouldn't be participating in this tournament. Period.

Obviously the winner is Santo, the bigger star to come out of his country, the Hulk Hogan of lucha libre. Edge's career can be summed up by his long slew of week long title reigns that amounted to practically nothing. El Santo was a media darling and wrestling mainstay in Mexico for 40 years. The only American pro wrestler that would have Santo's staying power, influence, and impact would in fact be Hogan.

Santo wins. There's no comparison. If you vote for Edge then you shouldn't be participating in this tournament. Period.

I literally know nothing about Mexican wrestling, so I won't pretend like I know of the impact Santo had on the business, but doesn't every Hogan/Cena-esque face of the company in Mexico get booked to the moon? If memory serves me correctly, Sin Cara was a huge hit in Mexico but when he came to another company he was Botchy McBotcherson.

Note that I'm not comparing Sin Cara to Santo in any way shape or form. I'm just merely questioning the logic in Lucha Libre booking.

I literally know nothing about Mexican wrestling, so I won't pretend like I know of the impact Santo had on the business, but doesn't every Hogan/Cena-esque face of the company in Mexico get booked to the moon? If memory serves me correctly, Sin Cara was a huge hit in Mexico but when he came to another company he was Botchy McBotcherson.

Note that I'm not comparing Sin Cara to Santo in any way shape or form. I'm just merely questioning the logic in Lucha Libre booking.

It's asinine to do so considering that A.) Mistico had the backing and exposure from a major established promotion known everywhere and B.) Santo and Cara worked totally different styles [high flying versus technician.]

Santo was so popular during his heyday that Mexico didn't need to outsource stars like Lou Thesz to help build the credibility of stars in the country. If you fought Santo you were over immediately. No matter the outcome. Santo was the reason why stars like Mascaras and Guerrero had a platform to showcase in the first place.

And then you factor in the fact that Santo wasn't just a wrestler, he was also a major crossover icon. Movies, television, comics, books, radio, cartoons. He was revered the same way that Tom Brady, or Michael Jordan, or Nicholas Cage, or Matt Damon would be here. A true household name that everyone knew and admired. Well beyond the scope of what a simple WWE wrestler would be.

There's no way to justify a serious vote for Edge other than favoritism and ignorance.

Edge never really had a consistent run at the top. He has a plethora of meaningless title reigns, and his longest reign of 105 days consisted of him beating an out of prime Mysterio twice, before losing to Taker. Granted, he lost to extend the Streak, but it still was yet another short reign, in comparison to other reigns guys were getting during the RA era.

El Santo on the other hand was more than relevant for 40 years and is an national ICON in Mexico, so much so that when he died, he received a state funeral.

This really isn't a hard choice.

Edge was a solid go to guy on the second tier show. Santo was the undisputed top guy for a few decades. I'm not very knowledgeable on Mexican wrestling history but I know Edge is not a big enough name to eliminate Santo from this tournament.

I learned a little about El Santo in last year's tournament, and I learned enough to vote for him over Edge. I liked Edge a lot but he was never really the top guy. El Santo was the top guy for a long long time. I would have liked to see Edge go a little farther. but it will stop here for Edge.

How times change for Edge. Remember when he was in the final? Edge is fantastic and I think people wrongly downplay his achievements, but here he is, in latin America against the most influential and successful luchador of all the times. Santo is a far better name and bigger prospect and must go through here.

Edge was very good, but his accomplishments overstate his true level. Even when he was WWE Champion, he was never the guy. The word legend gets thrown around a lot, but Santo is truly a legend in Mexico and really is one of the all time greats. Edge just isn't close to that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back