TNA Attitude ERA

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamwrestling

Getting Noticed By Management
There's been a little talk here and there on this board lately about TNA resembling the WWE attitude era, so I decided to creat a thread about it. So here's my opinion on the topic:

I think that TNA completely resembles the attitude era of the WWE. Now let me compare some of the top things from the WWE attitude era and TNA today:

THEN: WWE was trying to beat WCW
NOW: TNA is trying to start competing with WWE

THEN: WWE had to defeat the star power of WCW. People like Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, Ric Flair, Kevin Nash, Roddy Piper, Sting, and numerous other wrestlers that were already previously established.
NOW: TNA has to go up against the star power of WWE with already established names such as Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Kane, John Cena, Booker T, etc.

THEN: WWE competed with the big star names with people who were extremely talented in wrestling ability but were relatively unknown at first but they built them up to big names: Stunning Steve Austin turned to Stone Cold Steve Austin, Rocky Miavia turned to The Rock, Hunter Hearst Helmsley turned to HHH.
NOW: TNA is trying to compete with the big star names of WWE with people who are extremely talented in wrestling ability and on the microphone but are relatively unknown but will become big name stars in the not to distant future: Samoa Joe, Chris Sabin, Austin Starr, Maverick Matt, Robert Roode, etc.

THEN: While the WWE was building up those unknown names and turning them into big name stars, they had already previously established big name stars main eventing while the young guys midcarded their way to the top: Undertaker, Mankind (big name from ECW), etc.
NOW: TNA is maineventing the already known wrestlers while the young guys midcard THEIR way to the top: Jeff Jarrett, Sting, Christian Cage, Rhino, etc.

Those are the comparisons and they seem very similar.

The big difference though is that WCW was a closer competitor to WWE then TNA was. The Attitude era of the WWE made the storylines and stuff a little more edgy, they brought more sex onto tv and stuff, they tested their limits. WCW wouldn't even touch that...and when they did try, they failed miserably. I don't think TNA would even attempt to touch it either...and I don't think they'd be able to duplicate it either. As a matter of fact, nobody will.

The WWE attitude era in theory changed the entire business...because before it, the things that I mentioned above were never seen in wrestling(aside from in ECW). Even so, ECW was a small business at the time so it was the first time that a big wrestling company attempted something like that. The stuff that went on during the Attitude era is what put WWE over the top of WCW once and for all...it's what ended the close rivalry.

That kind of close rivalry doesn't even exist between TNA and WWE yet...especially considering that Impact could only draw a 1.0 putting out their best and Raw could put out a 3.5 at their very worst. I don't think anything that TNA is doing resembles the Attitude era at all....we're really only seeing the beginnings of a potential competition.

youre right in saying that TNA is sort of going through an attitude era, but the bottom line is wrestling isnt as popular today as it was back then. RAW used to pull 5.5-6.0 ratings, and Nitro 3.0-3.5 on good nights. Now Raw (the A show) pulls 3.0 average, and the last few weeks TNA hasnt done 1.0. Also the one thing IMO that holds TNA back is the quality of their shows, dont get me the wrestling is awesome, but the commenting, camera work,the Orlando crowd, the Six sided ring, and mostly the name TNA, just dosent sound like a big time promotion.

I agree that the commentating is horrible, but the orlando crowd will be leaving soon and even so, they're still such a great crowd. They're really in to it. The Camera work isn't that bad, the Six sided ring is a great idea. Sometimes things need to change for the better. The Six sided ring adds more room and gives you more ropes to use. The name TNA is awesome. Total nonstop action wrestling just sounds like something that would have high action and more wrestling than talking and that's exactly what it is. But I agree, the commentating needs to go NOW!

The Next Wrestling Boom is around the bend. The 1950's boom....up in down in 60's & 70's. Then the Giant Boom of the 80's with WWF and Hulkamainia and NWA's big rise.

Then there was the downward spiral of the mid-90's...until WCW and the NWO refreashed the industry in 96 which lead to the WWF Attitude era. Then WCW went out and ECW folded. From then to now basically has been the drop.

Now its about to heat up again. TNA is stepping up and will began to rise. WWE will evolve and change to compete. Both Promotions will be the best they have ever been.

The Indies will boom as a result.

So there you go. Yes TNA is going into its attitude era...its not there yet. Wait until its in Primetime.

Yeah, I should've changed the way I phrased my view on this subject. I think TNA WILL enter it's attitude era.

The Attitude era of wrestling was what I was brought up on, I loved watching it with my brothers and I witnessed first-hand the immediate impact of it all. I don't ever think there'll be another golden age of wrestling like back then. Still, TNA vs WWE will produce some interesting stuff.

I agree. I was brought up during the attitude era as well. I still know a lot about people from looooooooong before that, but that's the time when I watched WWF every single show it was on. Even on the spanish channel because I couldn't get enough.

TNA does have its own version of the attitude era going on right now. But to be honest I would say that TNA is more like the new wCw than a new WWF. The advantages they have though is that they have a lot of young up-and-comers as opposed to wCw's dads army.

TNA has alot of superstars that have the potential to become high classes stars...problem is TNA isnt nowhere in in competition with the WWE....the rating tells it all....WWE is owned by WWE while TNA isnt owned by its own its owned by another company name... TNA will never reach WWE potential i believe...esp with these horrible announcers and the gay storylines they display...the PERHAPS potential is there but its not being done right and never will they arent gonna reach wwe status NEVER

^^^^^^^^^^^
I disagree and agree at the same time, I belive that they do have the potential, But I dont think that they are going to use it in the right way to become a real threat

Well, as long as people just tune in and give TNA a chance, TNA can succeed. TNA always delivers when they give a promise. Ex: They promised a huge comeback to help Jarrett, they brought in Steiner. That was huge. They promised a HUGE announcement, they brought in Angle AND announced a new timeslot. They always deliver and never dissapoint me when they promise something big. I think they're pushing all the right guys in the company, so if they keep this up, they can increase ratings when they go to an earlier timeslot.

Alright, as we all obviously know, for the past 4 years TNA has made an effort to entertain the fans with fast pace, high risk wrestling. For a while I think that this will work and this will keep TNA on it's feet for the next 2 years or so, but could it really carry TNA to the hights of WWE?

Here's what I'm saying, while yes, I agree that the X Division is entertaining, in all reality it's kinda dull. How long can one man see a Body Slam and say "awe" at it when it's used once in a match. Now compare that to how many time a man can stay interested in wrestlers going up and down, up and down, up and down the entire match for two to three matches a night.

Couldnt disagree with you more. Look at ROH. IMO, Ring of Honor is nothign but X-Division action. Perhaps with a little less flying per individual match-up, but in general its X-Division from start to beginning. There are other feds that do this too, but ROH is the best and better known USA example.

While I get what you're saying, the truth is, you can never get sick of seeing good wrestling. ECW did it for years too. And the only reason the Cruiserwights didn't maintain there prestige in WCW for more than two years is because they were treated and handled wrong, juts like in the WWE today. The truth of the matter is, in the event that TNA were to attract a large audience; once people watch the X-Division, how many of them are gonna be able to sit through a WWE style match. I know that I can't watch WWE anymore, simply for the fact that unless I'm watching Paul London, Kendrick, Matt Hardy, Helms, Beniot and the like, I fall asleep. And that is no shit the absolute truth.

In all fairness, you have a valid point. When I first started watching old Cruiserweights, then the X-Division, ECW, ROH, I would scream woah! woah! at almost every move I saw. And yes I rarely do that anymore coz I've seen it before, but I can still watch these matches and enjoy them. But what I cannot watch is WWE wrestling. Its just too slow, and once accustomed to the pace of things like the X-Division you find it hard to go back. That's the reason for the drop-off in WWE ratings. Its not just the crappy storylines, its the wrestling. WWE was fats paced, brutal and exciting during the Attitude era, but not anymore. When WWE slowed down, people were unaccusomted to watching such a slow pace and they switched the channel.

And I hate when peole say the X-Division is dull. The matches alone speak more than stupid gimmicks ever could. And to be honest I would prefer for gimmicks to stay out of the X-Division. Why can't these guys just be themselves. The only complaint I have as far as the X-Division goes is that the guys don't get enough air-time. Hand the dudes a mic and watch them do their thing. Especially guys like Daniels, Skipper, Petey Williams. All guys that range from good to incredible on the mic, and are not given that opportunity. Wrestling can only go so far to connect fans with wrestlers. Their words are the missing link thats needed to complete the package.

IMO the only thing wrong with TNA right now is Sting and JJ. But I understand that they are necessary for the time being. Its just that TNA was so much better without them dominating the scene. Once TNA is able to go head to head with the big E (if this does happen), they can be removed and let the young guys shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back