Time to get rid of the TitanTron and Stage

Do you prefer a Stage/TitanTron entranceway or an Old School Entranceway?

• I prefer a Stage/TitanTron entranceway, like the company currently uses

• I prefer an Old School entranceway, like the one used on Raw at MSG-- no large Stage or TitanTron

Results are only viewable after voting.
With the name of the show being "Raw", I feel the entrance setup look on Monday at the Garden would actually be more appropriate, anyway. Raw typically implies a state of being "Uncensored, Uncut, Uncooked" (to borrow the show's former catchphrase).

This would only bring that feeling back to the show's roots in what it used to stand for, while giving the entire show a much-needed facelift.

Let them keep the stage for the PPV's, but this is what the weekly shows need.

With the name of the show being "Raw", I feel the entrance setup look on Monday at the Garden would actually be more appropriate, anyway. Raw typically implies a state of being "Uncensored, Uncut, Uncooked" (to borrow the show's former catchphrase).

Here I think is the root of my disagreement with Sidious. The "MSG setup" is a great setup for an "alternative" wrestling show running from undersized arenas. I would so steal that look for TNA if I were them.

But, whatever it was when it began, Monday Night Raw is no longer that show. "Raw" is no longer the stripped down, less polished alternative to the syndicated show. Raw is now the flagship program of the pro wrestling industry. It is the Big Bad Motherfucker Show with all the money, all the stars, the big arenas, the big company, the big pyro, the big Titantron. Embrace it.

It has no place at this point pretending to be an underground, gritty, guerilla phenomenon.

It should look like it costs a bunch of money. It should look like a contemporary answer to the Roman gladiatorial games, not like they oversold a small college gym by accident and are trying to adjust.

Here I think is the root of my disagreement with Sidious. The "MSG setup" is a great setup for an "alternative" wrestling show running from undersized arenas. I would so steal that look for TNA if I were them.

But, whatever it was when it began, Monday Night Raw is no longer that show. "Raw" is no longer the stripped down, less polished alternative to the syndicated show. Raw is now the flagship program of the pro wrestling industry. It is the Big Bad Motherfucker Show with all the money, all the stars, the big arenas, the big company, the big pyro, the big Titantron. Embrace it.

It has no place at this point pretending to be an underground, gritty, guerilla phenomenon.

It should look like it costs a bunch of money. It should look like a contemporary answer to the Roman gladiatorial games, not like they oversold a small college gym by accident and are trying to adjust.

Oh, yes ... and the MSG setup looked just like an old and dusty "college gym". :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that the setup was needed to match the show's name. That would be a supportive argument, but that isn't the primary reason I want the setup changed.

I want the setup changed because Raw has used a Fucking stage since 1997 .... over 12 years now ... and I want a change in scenery.

I simply prefer to see wrestlers actually walk down an aisle from the back, instead of coming out of a huge stage with a ramp. I'm tired of seeing that style of an entrance, and want a change.

They can make the entrance area elaborate. They can have exactly what they had Monday, or go even more elaborate. That's fine. But I simply want the stage and ramp concept gone and want a new look for the show.

Oh, yes ... and the MSG setup looked just like an old and dusty "college gym".

I'm not saying that it looks that way at MSG. But there is a legitimate marketing argument sometimes to go for the small, gritty, packed-to-the-rafters feel, and the MSG setup came closer to that. Watch an ACC game from Duke or UNC's home arena--there are four, five thousand people there and it's a complete madhouse. That's what the MSG setup felt like to me. You could easily hold Duke's or UNC's games at the NBA arena in Charlotte like St Johns and Georgetown do in NY and DC and sell out the building, but as a marketing decision they don't.

I'd say that given that WWE is the numero uno big fish dominant company with no credible competition, Raw and Smackdown should go for a "big event, big money, first class" feel. WWE TV events should look like a Final Four game in a first-class arena with all the bells and whistles.

TNA, on the other hand, should try to make their product look like that UNC-Duke game on campus with a small, maniacal crowd. TNA should steal the MSG setup. That would be Good For Business.

I voted for stage and titantron only because, although I am not keen on the current stage, especially being the same on all shows (and I know its money cutting). But I do like the fact you have three areas, the stage, ramp and ringside and its not so easy to cut promos from that entranceway.

It also looked too cheesy for me when they projected the name of the wrestler behind them when they did a promo (I remember seeing a cheesy DX sign on the door). THat was a huge throw back to the new Gen era

Was that really a throwback? A throwback to what? It was completely different from most new and old school entrances.

In the 70s and 80s, they made long walks on Superstars and at PPVs, but just no ramp or screens. Watch an Ultimate Warrior entrance from 1989. Watch WM2 or 3 or 4. You'll see this is nothing like an old school entrance.

Monday's entrance was short and sweet. Not far to walk at all and had a great look and feel. This isnt the first time they've used this entrance. Watch the Scott Steiner entrance from the 2002 Survivor Series on Youtube. WWE likes MSG to have a different feel than most events due to it's history.

As much as everyone likes it, this is not something that will happen often. WWE relies on the long entrance and video screens now. A short path to the ring will not allow for advertising, commentator banter or the hyping of a wrestler.

That looked like something newish to me and I was more than happy to see some creativity from creative (shocker!). It added a different element to the show, that cannot be disputed. I thought that they tried some new things Monday night which was nice to see.

While I liked the old-school feel, I only enjoyed it as a one night thing. The current titantron and stage the WWE uses right now is part of the future. You have to change with the times. Now given that local house shows dont use a titantron or a stage, That is the only time that I will actually tolerate not having one. When I thought of this post, I thought of one thing, "Christian's Return". When Christian returned on ECW back in February with an all new entrance video and theme, I didnt know who it was at first. I had thought Hornswoggle had undergone a gimmick change. However, the only thing that signaled his return before he walked out was his face on the titantron. The WWE needs to use this stuff to get larger crowd reactions during returns and debuts. Thats why they should keep it

While I liked the old-school feel, I only enjoyed it as a one night thing. The current titantron and stage the WWE uses right now is part of the future.

Says who?

If anything, the use of a large "stage" has been the look of the WWE for the past 12 years. Enough is Fucking Enough and give us a different look.

You don't need some huge, bulky stage for an entrance at each show.

You have to change with the times.

You're right. It is time for a change, alright. A change away from the stage-look.

Now given that local house shows dont use a titantron or a stage, That is the only time that I will actually tolerate not having one.

Well, I guess it just put a damper on your day what they did in New York, then ... because they had a nice entrance setup, but didn't use a bulky stage and ramp.

When I thought of this post, I thought of one thing, "Christian's Return". When Christian returned on ECW back in February with an all new entrance video and theme, I didnt know who it was at first. I had thought Hornswoggle had undergone a gimmick change. However, the only thing that signaled his return before he walked out was his face on the titantron. The WWE needs to use this stuff to get larger crowd reactions during returns and debuts. Thats why they should keep it

Yeah, and I still heard the crickets churping when Christian debuted, despite all that.

People become apathetic to the same old look all the time. The stage and ramp setup have been around for far too long, and it has lost its luster. It's time for a facelift and to go back to something most of today's fans have probably never seen before .... the concept of a long aisleway to come down, with some nice video effects from the back.

Hey guys! I just saw this post and joined just so I could comment.

I must say as an avid wrestling fan for the last 18 years that RAW on Monday Night felt VERY old school. Due to the setup and the promos felt better, Piper/Vince was classic, whether they do square off at WrestleMania 26 remains to be seen but they cant let this dream match fade away.

The Main Event delivered in every way, I didnt expect The Undertaker to Tombstone Cena and if they plan Cena v Taker at WrestleMania, should it be Champion vs Champion? Or do you guys feel it should be a classic One on One match? Back to the whole setup, WWE needs to change and it shows you that whenever they want, they can pull off a great show and after watching RAW on Monday Night, I feel WWE should hold all their shows at MSG just like the old days and keep the arena with no stage or titantron.

Looking forward to meeting some people here and share my views on the World of Professional Wrestling :)

David (AngleisTNA)

oh god,The second I saw the MSG stage on Raw,I knew all of you people would be start complaining on how WWE should keep it.well they can't and won't, WWE relies on the big stage because there all about flashiness and showing off,not moving backwards,WWE paid a bunch of money for that HD stage,why in the world would they lower themselves to something that small

was it nice and something refreshing?Yes it was but the only reason WWE even used it is ebcause MSG is a very old building and setting up the big HD stage is very hard,also WWE wants MSG shows to differ from there usual shows

expect the usual HD stage the following monday

Being a person who only had video tapes to study from the old school days considering my age, I am used to the Titantron and Stage area having no problems with it whatsoever. I can see the differences in both era's and they had their effect. But to say to get rid of that entire area in the one shot is a little harsh.

If there are talks of ridding of the area, the best way to do so (including only televised events) would be on PPV's. The entire thing is basically full of matches with the occassional backstage segment here and there. It would not hurt them at all to replace it as these backstage segments are only used to keep people interested, which could easily be replicated by an in-ring promo. For the weekly shows like RAW, I think only ECW or Superstars could do without the entrance area. Superstars is just a card full of midcarders mainly for exhibition purposes and ECW... well it would feel more ECW without the glitz and glammer of the stage where some would be more comfortable by calling ECW, ECW.

For RAW and SmackDown, these shows are too big to get rid of that area at the moment. They use quite a lot of backstage segments and like to further feuds, make matches, etc. These are the shows that use storyline more than wrestling matches to entertain.

I think the mentality may be a bit reverse that I have seen from the past several posts.

Aren't the PPV events actually supposed to be the BIG events? People are actually paying for these shows and the hype around the weekly shows all are done for the purpose of promoting the PPV's. Therefore, doesn't it make more sense to give them the elaborate stage setup to the PPV's as opposed to free weekly TV?

Furthermore the shows should be differentiated. TV and PPVs should not all look the same.

Quite frankly, if I'm tuning into a PPV, I expect more production value, as opposed to the same production value and "more of the same" of what I get on Free TV.

It works both ways. From a business perspective, it seems to be a little more logical to make the bigger events contain the flashy set-ups to give it that bigger feel. But, in the same token, the TitanTron and Stage area is used a lot less frequently on a PPV than the Weekly TV shows. PPV's use mainly promotional videos for matches and couple of backstage segments, requiring the titantron. On an average, shows like RAW and SD use the TitanTron a lot more in a smaller time frame concerning the amount of backstage segments as well as hyping PPV's, commercial's, etc.

For me, I really couldn't give one damn about whether they decide to keep or rid of the stage and titantron. If I had to choose, I say to keep some sort of TitanTron so that way people in the high rafters can view the match better on the big screen as well as the WWE being able to do important backstage segments, etc, etc. The stage is something that really doesn't need to be implemented at all, possibly for the PPV if you feel the need to make those events stand out.

It works both ways. From a business perspective, it seems to be a little more logical to make the bigger events contain the flashy set-ups to give it that bigger feel. But, in the same token, the TitanTron and Stage area is used a lot less frequently on a PPV than the Weekly TV shows. PPV's use mainly promotional videos for matches and couple of backstage segments, requiring the titantron. On an average, shows like RAW and SD use the TitanTron a lot more in a smaller time frame concerning the amount of backstage segments as well as hyping PPV's, commercial's, etc.

For me, I really couldn't give one damn about whether they decide to keep or rid of the stage and titantron. If I had to choose, I say to keep some sort of TitanTron so that way people in the high rafters can view the match better on the big screen as well as the WWE being able to do important backstage segments, etc, etc. The stage is something that really doesn't need to be implemented at all, possibly for the PPV if you feel the need to make those events stand out.

And I hear you. I'm just one of the people that gets all into the Stage setups, entrances, audio ... and overall production value of the shows.

I just think that it should be imperative that the PPV's be differentiated in terms of look and overall feel between the weekly free shows. After all, it's the PPV's that the company actually are hyping and want people to spend $50 on. So therefore, they need to offer something more ... a lot more, instead of simply longer matches. It needs to be something else, instead of just "more of the same" from what you get on weekly Free TV. And they need to make a big deal out of these events.

Now, putting simply a black curtain up is one thing ... but what they did on Raw last Monday was hardly just putting up a black curtain. They had video screens on both the sides and the back on a swivel door where the talent came through. We're not talking about putting up a black curtain for talent to walk through. We're talking about a smaller setup, however still having a technical setup featuring lights, video screens, etc. We're simply talking about giving the stage and perhaps Titan Tron a rest for a while and keeping them for the BIG events where they count.

You know, looking at the poll results, I'm going to change my position on this, from a Shareholder point of view. A lot of people like the MSG setup. I didn't like it as much, but a lot of people did. And I doubt that anyone would be really upset at seeing the Titantron and stage off of Raw.

I would keep it on Smackdown and therefore ECW (ECW still tapes on Tuesdays, right? I've been on a spoiler avoidance program) to help differentiate the shows.

It would make some people happy, and it wouldn't piss anyone off that much.

So, I'd say that going to the "old-school entrance" would be Good For Business.
It also means that TNA can't copy it without looking like blatant copycats.

Now, putting simply a black curtain up is one thing ... but what they did on Raw last Monday was hardly just putting up a black curtain. They had video screens on both the sides and the back on a swivel door where the talent came through. We're not talking about putting up a black curtain for talent to walk through. We're talking about a smaller setup, however still having a technical setup featuring lights, video screens, etc. We're simply talking about giving the stage and perhaps Titan Tron a rest for a while and keeping them for the BIG events where they count.

Ah... ohkay... now I am understanding this point of view. Most of the time my work schedule does not allow me to view weekly programming at all. Where I live, there are at least 4 different times during the week where all the free TV is shown and repeated. I did miss the MSG event and did not see the set-up.

If you are referring to a small set-up like what the early variations of the WWE's rebirth of ECW had, then I would be in much favour for this. The stage is not an essential part of the show unless you are going to do some sort of spot. Get rid of the high-platform and re-make the stage into the old school theme as not many people will complain about this. No-one watches the WWE to determine how a stage looks. I'm still very iffy on the TitanTron. This is still an essential part of the show where it plays video packages for feuds, airing commercials for extra finances, playing wrestler video clips when they walk into the arena... sure, a smaller one would suffice but getting rid of the entire TitanTron wouldn't be a good idea because of its use.

Ah... ohkay... now I am understanding this point of view. Most of the time my work schedule does not allow me to view weekly programming at all. Where I live, there are at least 4 different times during the week where all the free TV is shown and repeated. I did miss the MSG event and did not see the set-up.

If you are referring to a small set-up like what the early variations of the WWE's rebirth of ECW had, then I would be in much favour for this. The stage is not an essential part of the show unless you are going to do some sort of spot. Get rid of the high-platform and re-make the stage into the old school theme as not many people will complain about this. No-one watches the WWE to determine how a stage looks. I'm still very iffy on the TitanTron. This is still an essential part of the show where it plays video packages for feuds, airing commercials for extra finances, playing wrestler video clips when they walk into the arena... sure, a smaller one would suffice but getting rid of the entire TitanTron wouldn't be a good idea because of its use.

That is pretty much mostly what I am suggesting.

I mainly want the stage and the ramp GONE from the weekly TV shows ... and go back to them coming down an aisleway like we used to have.

However, I am not suggesting that WWE do away with a flashy setup at the entrance where they come out or anything. That is still imperative. I still want some sort of gated entranceway setup with lots of LED lights going off, smaller video screens, etc. And I want the setup to be different for each of the 4 shows.

But the main thing I am saying is to eliminate both the stage and TitanTron for the weekly shows, because I would rather the elaborate setups be used for the PPV's, since people are paying more for the extras. And plus, it makes those events look larger than life.

I know you aren't in favor of eliminating the TitanTron, but since every arena has a huge overhead monitor in the middle of the arena anyway, which shows all directions, I would rather them air the video segments on that for the house crowd. That way, they can still continue doing everything they're doing today ... and still give the shows a new fresh look, which is badly needed.

However, I am not suggesting that WWE do away with a flashy setup at the entrance where they come out or anything. That is still imperative. I still want some sort of gated entranceway setup with lots of LED lights going off, smaller video screens, etc. And I want the setup to be different for each of the 4 shows.

4 shows proved to be a hassle in setting up different entrance ways, the reasoning behind having a universal stage area. It takes a lot less time to prepare from going ECW to SD. Especially during times when all four weekly televised shows are being held in the same arena for that week. Sure, a change in stage to make it smaller would be nice and I would be all for it... but you have to consider time constraints and added labour of the workers.

The entranceway setup has to look professional, but there isn't much need for having LED lights or video screens. The use of them just can "kill" the mood set in the arena. Imagine the Undertaker walking out currently on SmackDown where the LED's and screens resemble his signature entrance. It aids in the effect, but when you really boil down to it... the entrance becomes too commercialised. However, imagine having Undertaker come out back in the old school days when these luxuries weren't around to the same sounds, smoke screen effects and arena lighting's as he does today. It would add more emotion considering that the entire arena would be darkened instead of having the entrance way spoil the mood.

I know you aren't in favor of eliminating the TitanTron, but since every arena has a huge overhead monitor in the middle of the arena anyway, which shows all directions, I would rather them air the video segments on that for the house crowd. That way, they can still continue doing everything they're doing today ... and still give the shows a new fresh look, which is badly needed.

I can vouch for myself, I'm not sure about you, about the fact that I have attended live shows before. Not the big product of a weekly episode of WWE, but one of the World Wrestling All-Stars. Back a few years ago, they had the best free agents, including Bret Hart, working with the company. I was there and they had a TitanTron with not much of stage for one of their shows. Now, I was in the ringside area and I can tell you that I was grateful not to be able to look to the top of the arena just to watch what went on behind the scenes. People in the ringside area need the TitanTron to look and view if need be, it would be somewhat of a health issue to be looking that far back just to view a Santino segment.

4 shows proved to be a hassle in setting up different entrance ways, the reasoning behind having a universal stage area. It takes a lot less time to prepare from going ECW to SD. Especially during times when all four weekly televised shows are being held in the same arena for that week. Sure, a change in stage to make it smaller would be nice and I would be all for it... but you have to consider time constraints and added labour of the workers.

Why should anyone place emphasis on the time restraints of the workers over production value, overall look and presentation of the show to the viewer? Have you ever seen them move the stage before in between tapings? I have. And moving the huge stage takes a long time. However, whenever they moved the ECW entrance in, when they were doing that, they got it in, in no time. And it still gave the show a unique look to it.

I don't give a damn about the worker's time, quite frankly. That's part of business and producing television. They have enough workers there to make it work and make it work fast.

Besides any of that, don't you think that having a smaller setup will take less time to move than a huge stage? It certainly did with ECW.

With my way, you have your cake and eat it too. Each show will have a unique look to it, and the sets can be changed very quickly.

No. Absolutely not. Maybe for a couple of shows a year, but not as a permanent change. I personally felt like the stage looked crowded and the TitanTron and Stage adds to the spectacle of the show. A small stage is part of the reason I can never take ROH or FCW seriously. It just looks more professional when you have the big flashy stage. It would be okay to do for maybe 3 or 4 shows a year, but definitely not for every show.

It'd be nice but it's not gonna happen. It was a one time deal with MSG being the host arena. The Titantron and ramp are ALWAYS gonna be there. It helps the nosebleed fans see the action in the ring, plus the segments, etcetc. It's become a part of the WWE. A part of their identity.. if you will. I'd like to see them bring back the old school style entranceway they did but it won't happen.

I would love to see them go back to no Titantron. When you have no special effects and videos to make you stand out it makes the wrestler's use the creativity to make them stand out from the rest. When a wrestler has the determination to make it, they will put effort into their entrance creating a pop or heat. Let it be up to the wrestlers, not the Jim Johnston or the special effects

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back