Thumbs Up to Creative - Good Use of Rusev

chicagokmc

Getting Noticed By Management
I’m encouraged by the recent use of Rusev. I wasn’t that thrilled to see him win the US Belt until last night when the Authority made it clear they were behind it and that they “support” Rusev. Some of you might think this is more blatant misuse of the Authority but I’m just the opposite on this one. The US vs Russia motif for all of Rusev’s feuds is not only stale but now it seems forced. The one part I did like about Rusev/Sheamus is that, even though it was for the US belt, him being Irish naturally pulled things away from US vs Russia.

And a huge thumbs up to Stephanie. She can be both excellent and annoying as top female heel, but I applauded when she told Lana to shut it and that we’re tired of hearing about their politics. Again a good move to me, especially the way she did it. Rusev can still be the unstoppable Russian force without everything having to be about the additional politics.

And finally his inclusion on Team Authority makes all the sense in the world. The Authority “helping” Rusev is logical – even the most dominant of heels take short cuts here and there. It’s what makes them heels. And again it makes sense that the most dominant wrestler not named Lesnar be a part of this “how in the world will Team Cena beat them” Authority team.

Thoughts?

I've really enjoyed what they have done with Rusev. Sure the promos became a little tiresome but the live crowds are eating it up so who am I to complain.

His work in the ring is very good - that has been clear since NXT. In fact, it's refreshingly good for someone of his size and build. His athleticism is pretty damn impressive too.

Rusev is so talented and dangerous that The Authority would turn their back on America. That is just wonderful. Good matches, a fantastic valet and strong booking. It seems they mapped out their plans for him from his debut to now ensuring the best way of him looking like a monster. They aren't pissing about which is the key and Rusev can hopefully do really well.

The Authority “helping” Rusev is logical – even the most dominant of heels take short cuts here and there.

If helping Rusev is logical, I would think it pertains only to the Authority using him to attain their own goals; I can't see a reason they would want Rusev for any other reason. After all, Stephanie calling Lana a "Russian twit" seemed to indicate that while the Authority is willing to use Rusev for their own purposes, they certainly aren't looking to advance his career. Stephanie's disdain indicated that she is concerned with the Authority above everything else; any individuals who cross her will pay the price....even those fighting on the side of the Authority.

Last night, it appeared really odd to watch Rusev standing at ringside, casting an eye on someone else's match and occasionally reacting to what he was seeing. It didn't fit what we've seen of him to this point.....and to see him standing there without the "Russian twit" seemed even odder.

If anyone has been cast as a loner, it's Rusev. He needs only Lana, who can't help him with the physical part.....but that's the thing, he hasn't needed any help in that area. The guy is a potent, self-contained unit who doesn't even have to cheat to win, as most villains do. In fact, he rarely brawls, because his scientific approach to wrestling doesn't call for it. An exception occurred last night, when he briefly exchanged punches with Sheamus .....but it was the exception proved the rule, as Sheamus is an acknowledged brawler who simply forced Rusev to play his game.

Yes, Creative has made superb use of Rusev. I liked him from the beginning because the plan for him has been followed to the letter. He is what he is.....a loner, a consummate singles wrestler, a nationalistic stalwart who fights for his particular brand of patriotism.

Hopefully, taking him off the path by having him team with the Authority won't derail what he's been doing so far.

I agree. So far, I've really liked what they've been doing with Rusev. Like most wrestlers, he does have a few inherit weaknesses. He's not that great on the mic but, at the same time, his current gimmick doesn't call for him to be good on the mic. That's what Lana's for. While I agree that the promos are a little repetitive, she still does a good job and her accent is spot on. I'm not surprised seeing as how she spent much of her childhood living in Latvia when it was part of the Soviet Union. Plus, she ain't bad to look at either.

Rusev also has some pretty decent athletic ability. He's not super cut or anything, he just looks like someone that's obviously a weightlifter and is strong as an ox. He also performs the best dropkick I've ever seen from a guy that's well north of 250 pounds. I'm not sure what the overall future holds for him. I don't know if he'll be in the main event picture anytime soon, doubtful and I don't think he should be there at this point, but I think he could have a bright future if he isn't offered up as a sacrifice to John Cena.

Sally, I don't think it will derail him. In fact, I think it will help. The main reason I didn't like Rusev winning the US belt was the same reason I didn't like Shield Ambrose having the belt. No matter what you do with it in today's WWE, the US belt will always be a mid card belt. It limits the title holder to an extent to facing mid-carders. Rusev has already gone thru the top logical mid carders, unless they plan on stretching out the Sheamus feud or giving Cesaro a shot. I think the whole Survivor Series thing gives us a break from the US/Russia stuff and could serve as a good reset point for Rusev. I also have a feeling (just a hunch) that Ryback will definitely end up on Team Cena, that Ryback and Rusev will go at during SS and that will lead to a Rusev/Ryback program that might actually be interesting now that they are trying to re-push Ryback.

In some ways, I applaud Creative's use of Rusev, while in other ways, I think they have made a mistake.

On the positive side, they have built him as a largely solitary monster. He, with Lana as his annoying mouthpiece, has built a better heel persona than frankly I thought he was capable of. In his systematic defeats of Swagger, Henry, and Big Show, as well as the smaller names he has squashed along the way, he has truly established himself as a force in the company, one of the better current heels on the roster. Establishing him as the United States Champion, with all of the irony that encompasses, seems like a logical progression for his character. He should go on to be a strong US Champion, with a fair bit of momentum along the way.

All of that said, it seems illogical to me to put him on Team Authority. Here is a guy whose sole purpose appears to involve loyalty to Vladimir Putin and Mother Russia. He's been a solitary figure (Lana notwithstanding) who seems to oppose everything USA. He has beaten their Real American Champion, their strongest champion, and their giant champion (pardon my paraphrasing), and has now become the new United States Champion. I would think he wouldn't need help from anyone else, and would have no interest in offering assistance to them. So therefore, it seems inconsistent to me to put him on a team with four other Americans, teaming up for a cause which I would have thought would have no meaning for him or Lana whatsoever.

Why would Putin or Mother Russia be concerned about Team Authority? Why would Mark Henry (despite his recent heel turn) all of a sudden be OK with being a teammate of Rusev, and vice versa? Even though they are heels, why would Triple H, Seth Rollins, and the rest of the gang all of a sudden be OK with aligning with someone so openly anti-American? Sure they're a gang of heels, but not from this perspective, it just doesn't seem consistent to me.

I would have expected Rusev and Lana to say thanks, but no thanks, to the offer of joining the Authority. We don't need any assistance from you, we will continue to run rampant over the entire roster on our own. This would lead into a singles feud/rematch between himself and Sheamus, which he would win, and he would continue along his current path, all for mother Russia. Seems more logical to me than being an Authority lackey, a guy in the background of a faction he doesn't seem to belong to.

Overall, creative has done a fine job with Rusev. They have taken a gimmick which has been done to death over the years, and actually made me interested in it. Hopefully this Team Authority affiliation is a bump in the road, a hiccup in an otherwise logical and steady progression through the ranks of the WWE.

I agree. So far, I've really liked what they've been doing with Rusev. Like most wrestlers, he does have a few inherit weaknesses. He's not that great on the mic but, at the same time, his current gimmick doesn't call for him to be good on the mic. That's what Lana's for. While I agree that the promos are a little repetitive, she still does a good job and her accent is spot on. I'm not surprised seeing as how she spent much of her childhood living in Latvia when it was part of the Soviet Union. Plus, she ain't bad to look at either.

Rusev also has some pretty decent athletic ability. He's not super cut or anything, he just looks like someone that's obviously a weightlifter and is strong as an ox. He also performs the best dropkick I've ever seen from a guy that's well north of 250 pounds. I'm not sure what the overall future holds for him. I don't know if he'll be in the main event picture anytime soon, doubtful and I don't think he should be there at this point, but I think he could have a bright future if he isn't offered up as a sacrifice to John Cena.

Agree.

Also, I think the key to Rusev in the long-term, is taking him away from the Nationalistic character and just making him a legit Monster Heel, with his unique fighting style that he has.

So far, so good for his build, and I am looking forward to seeing how his eventual first defeat is handled in the aftermath.

It's another "part" to his push to see him used in this "winner takes all" match... he's now a big enough force to be considered essential by The Authority. They are clearly still hedging their bets with Lana, it is VERY likely she will go face at some point purely on her fan reaction and that she is a highly marketable woman. All Diva's go this route who become "big" it stops being about a heel quite quickly and with her Hollywood background that is something WWE is going to want to exploit sooner rather than later.

This is the test run to see if Rusev can "play with others" and work without Lana at his side... if it comes off then I expect a split between them at some time... I actually thought I saw the start of it with the Rock promo, Lana very subtley played off the Rock's compliments... you could imagine her "leaving Rusev and Russia behind" for the Rock and Hollywood or Rusev deciding he no longer needs her and binning her himself...

But 2 months ago you couldn't have seen ANY of this in Rusev's future, only the same "Machka, Crush, Repeat" so yeah, fair play to them, they seem to be doing well with him.

I think Lanas character needs more work.

She need to turn on Rusev, and become a diva.

She's to hot.

They're really making him out to be a big deal. They weren't behind Swagger this much last year when he was bashing Americans every week with Zeb Colter and he got a world title push.

It just goes to show how much they really value Rusev. I just hope they don't have the title become a decoration like it has been for Sheamus and Ambrose.

Is it just me or are they setting up Rusev turning on the authority at Survivor Series...albeit I doubt he'll turn face in the process. More than likely it will just end with everyone abandoning them. Otherwise, I don't get why they'd have Steph be verbally abusive towards Lana. If anything, being nice to Lana is enough to get heel heat. So I presume this is leading to something.

Is it just me or are they setting up Rusev turning on the authority at Survivor Series...albeit I doubt he'll turn face in the process. More than likely it will just end with everyone abandoning them. Otherwise, I don't get why they'd have Steph be verbally abusive towards Lana. If anything, being nice to Lana is enough to get heel heat. So I presume this is leading to something.

While an interesting point you bring up, I just took it as Stephanie is heel towards everyone not in the authority. It's her bubble of guys versus the world. Lana wasn't in the bubble, heel or face doesn't matter to her. I wouldn't object to Rusev abandoning the authority though, then he could feud with Triple H or Kane, granted Kane seems like a step down to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back