Billy Corgan Joins TNA as Senior Producer, Creative and Talent Development

Sweettre15

Pre-Show Stalwart
Here’s the latest arm-twist to the field of professional wrestling: Billy Corgan – yes, that Billy Corgan – wants to use a medium that is decidedly heavy on piledrivers and figure-four leglocks to explore issues of race, ethnicity and gender.

Corgan, leader of the innovative rock group Smashing Pumpkins, has joined TNA Impact Wrestling as senior producer of creative and talent development and, as such, will have a strong hand guiding such luminaries as Kurt Angle, Bobby Roode and Jeff Hardy and their exploits on TNA’s flagship “Impact Wrestling” program that has airs on Discovery Communications’ Destination America cable network. Rather than trotting out the same old “heels” and “babyfaces” – pro-wrestling argot for “bad guys” and good guys” – Corgan thinks fans are ready for new stories.

“There is a tremendous opportunity to go into really fresh, new directions,” Corgan explained in an interview. Having characters who explore race or transgender issues is certainly a possibility, he suggested. “There are ways to explore those themes in ways that are productive, create new stars and show that value-based ‘babyfaces’, no matter what their background, no matter where they come from, can draw new audiences and inspire people in new ways.”

Corgan’s thinking is necessary to stand out in a crowded field that is largely dominated by World Wrestling Entertainment and is also filled with overseas competitors like Japan’s New Japan Pro Wrestling and Mexico’s AAA Mega Championship, explained Dixie Carter, TNA’s president, in an interview. “We need to make our existing characters have a greater depth to them,” she said. “We want the stories to have a depth and a meaning to someone that is relevant today. Billy can really help that.”

In decades past, wrestling’s portrayal of different cultures has not always been kind, whether it be the headdress-wearing Native Americans known as Jay and Jules Strongbow, the mute behemoths called The Wild Samoans, or the effeminate character “Adorable” Adrian Adonis. TNA is betting that it can bring new fans to the arena by giving a stronger nod to cultures with growing influence in American society. It’s a tactic that big advertisers ranging from Coca-Cola to General Mills have adopted in the last few years, running commercials featuring families from a wider range of backgrounds and using multiple languages. TV networks have also begun to cast more broadly for programs like “Black-ish” and “Fresh Off The Boat” that try to offer viewpoints from African-American or Asian-American characters.

TNA’s maneuver comes as WWE has also begun efforts to bring a wider crowd to its antics. The Stamford, Conn.-based company recently launched a new campaign with NBCUniversal – which shows WWE programs on its USA cable outlet – that plays up the heroic and charitable works by such wrestlers as John Cena.

For Corgan, the match-up with professional wresting is not as unlikely as it might first seem. The writer of such tunes as “Bullet with Butterfly Wings” and “Tonight, Tonight” says he has been a wrestling fan for much of his life, originally getting into the sport by following competitors such as Verne Gagne and Dick The Bruiser. “It was about tough guys in tights, before the really colorful stuff came in more fully into the 1980’s,” he said. In recent years, Corgan even ran a small wrestling promotion around Chicago.

TNA’s Carter said she met Corgan several years ago and was familiar with his deep interest in the sport, and convinced him to join her executives for a plotting session. Some of his creative work will begin to show up in TNA programming slated to hit the air in early May, she said.

Corgan believes his ideas will “ break new ground.” In 2015, he said, adding “those social and cultural issues that are sort of a ‘don’t’ go there’ subject” will result in themes that will feel more meaningful to current audiences. “I think there’s an endless supply of things in our culture where people are dealing with race or with gender, et cetera, and you can get into these things in a way that is both revelatory and enlightening. Treated the right way, ultimately, the good guy wins. The right ideas win.”

TNA bouts have run on Destination America since January. Discovery and TNA struck a multi-year deal in late 2014 that also includes the U.S. premiere of various series and specials from the company and gives Discovery international broadcasting rights for the programs in certain regions.

Source: Variety

My thoughts: Personally, I think that if it's presented properly and the competency level of the writers are there then it can be something quite engaging but If not, it'll just come off as pretentious, heavy handed preaching. Hopefully, it's the former and not the latter.

EDIT: The Title should say: Senior Producer of TNA Creative and Talent Development

I wonder how much this is going to affect the music department, specifically Serg Salinas' role? Right now Serg effectively records most, if not all the music for the company. Some are great, others less so, but Corgan's history in music is rich, well beyond his days with The Smashing Pumpkins. Could be like an adrenaline shot in the arm there.

I wonder how much this is going to affect the music department, specifically Serg Salinas' role? Right now Serg effectively records most, if not all the music for the company. Some are great, others less so, but Corgan's history in music is rich, well beyond his days with The Smashing Pumpkins. Could be like an adrenaline shot in the arm there.

In terms of creative I don't know. If Corgan's role in writing music is any indication he likes to have pretty much all control so I don't know what he'd be like in terms of creative writing.

In regards to the music I dig a lot of TNA's current themes (Bram's especially) and I wouldn't have thought they needed help overall but Billy Corgan has over twenty years of experience in writing really good stuff. I suspect if he does anything in terms of themes there will certainly be an some interesting stuff coming out.

As someone who watches TNA on and off, and as someone who's a huge Pumpkins fan, this has me intrigued. Corgan's two strongest traits are his creativity and his outspokenness. He's not shy when it comes to talking about certain issues, and he's not shy when it comes to trying something different or unpopular.

I'll have my eye on this. But with Corgan's track record, I have no idea where it's going to go. Fingers crossed for something great.

Frankly I think this is pretty awesome news. And I feel even better about it after watching the Skype conference call between him and Josh Matthews TNA posted. Corgan is a great musician and writer, and I know he has some booking experience in Chicago. I really have high hopes for how this is handled, if Corgan's title is actually "Senior Producer/Writer" that would mean he'd basically be the new booker and I think that could be amazing. Corgan is highly intelligent and I have no doubt he could produce some compelling and groundbreaking stuff if he gets the chance to. This is fantastic news for TNA and wrestling in general. The only problem is Destination America. Will they be okay with these new themes and ideas? They seem to be pretty demanding of TNA, atleast if you believe the rumors.

And oh man, if the Pumpkins did someone's theme that would be awesome. They're still an awesome band even after all the lineup changes.

Today is the greatest, day I've ever known....
Despite all my rage I'm still just a six-sided cage..

Jokes aside surprisingly, this is actually a pretty solid signing:

- Corgan's got a demonstrated history of being creative.
- Corgan's not a spring chicken to the wrestling industry, as he helped build up Resistance Pro Wrestling
- The guy's not only a builder, but also a fan.

After being hounded for their mistakes, it's fair to admit TNA made a solid business decision here. Hopefully this leads to better things for them (including perhaps striking a deal with RPW or another affiliate to be their developmental territory - Which serves a need they lost after ending their agreement with OVW.)

Billy Corgan is also student of Paul Heyman. Back in ECW, he worked with Paul and learned a lot, and it was seen during his tenure of RPW. This could turn out to be something solid for TNA.

+1 for TNA with this move

[youtube]YbaVBQj80X0[/youtube]

Frankly I think this is pretty awesome news. And I feel even better about it after watching the Skype conference call between him and Josh Matthews TNA posted. Corgan is a great musician and writer, and I know he has some booking experience in Chicago. I really have high hopes for how this is handled, if Corgan's title is actually "Senior Producer/Writer" that would mean he'd basically be the new booker and I think that could be amazing. Corgan is highly intelligent and I have no doubt he could produce some compelling and groundbreaking stuff if he gets the chance to. This is fantastic news for TNA and wrestling in general. The only problem is Destination America. Will they be okay with these new themes and ideas? They seem to be pretty demanding of TNA, atleast if you believe the rumors.

And oh man, if the Pumpkins did someone's theme that would be awesome. They're still an awesome band even after all the lineup changes.

This is a great point, especially if we consider the reports they were over-reaching and getting on the nerves of TNA officials about wanting Angle and Taryn pushed, etc.

Plus, if you take what Corgan said about pushing the envelope, delving into gender issues, gay issues, etc. and then consider the target audience of your average Destination America viewer... could be like trying to mix oil and water right out of the gate.

Wow- a high risk, high reward move. Billy Corgan at his best is a creative tour de force; he's responsible for two of the seminal albums of the 1990's, and he's still pushing out great work, even if it's not accompanied by buzz in the music industry anymore.

On the other side of the coin, Corgan has the Vince Russo problem- he's got a lot of great ideas, but he needs a filter on them if people are going to be trying to sell them as a mass media project. He also has the Vince McMahon problem- he firmly believes (and not without some amount of prior justification) that he is the best man to accomplish a given task, and insists on absolute control to that extent.

Regardless, I'm super excited for this. Billy Corgan, on the creative end, is someone capable of presenting professional wrestling in a way which may make it seem interesting again. He's also someone capable of being crushed by corporate bureaucracy and walking away from the project after three months. Time will tell, but this is exactly the kind of 'refresh the brand' move that TNA has been needing.

Billy Corgan at his best is a creative tour de force; he's responsible for two of the seminal albums of the 1990's, and he's still pushing out great work, even if it's not accompanied by buzz in the music industry anymore.

Right there is were I already get worried, we've seen wrestling bookers like Bischoff & Russo try there ideas that came off in the 90's in the 00's and beyond.

Corgan will probably get TNA a bit of fanfare, and his appointment may work out to be a great bit of business for the wrestling industry as a whole.

But every time a celebrity gets involved in this side of the wrestling business, one name always sticks out in my mind......David Arquette.

I'm probably not the only one who is reminded of when TNA hired Hogan & Bischoff, for similar reasons as Billy Corgan. I know Hogan was probably hired more as an on-air character and "international ambassador" (if that title applies), and I'd bet that the company thought that Bischoff could help behind the scenes. I know Bischoff became an on-air character as well, and I thought I remember reading that both of them would at least sit in on creative meetings - but maybe weren't given too much control over storylines...again, I don't know what (if any) roles Hogan and/or Bischoff played behind the scenes, other than maybe putting their two cents in when they had opinions on what the creative team had come up with. In other words, I doubt Hogan or Bischoff were contributing many ideas for anyone who wasn't considered "main event level".

It seemed that both Hogan & Bischoff had an agenda (ie: Brooke Hogan and Garrett Bischoff). Corgan doesn't seem to have a similar agenda, and also seems to want to focus on the current roster. Hogan & Bischoff immediately added to TNA's roster with names like Ric Flair, Jeff Hardy, Brian Knobbs, Mr. Anderson, etc (not to mention their kids). Again, Corgan seems more focused on improving the current product & roster.

As long as Corgan resists the urge to put himself on TV (if he's telling the truth about how busy he is then he probably won't), and isn't given complete control, I think things have the potential to work out well. I think Impact has been great ever since moving to Destination America, so I hope things won't change dramatically after Corgan starts writing for them. God, I really hope we don't see Corgan become an on-air GM or something in the future. Don't say it won't happen, because with all this buzz TNA is currently getting over hiring Corgan I wouldn't be surprised if they're already talking about it in production meetings.

I like that Corgan mentioned that he wants to make everyone on the roster "matter" (I'm paraphrasing, but that's what I took from his interview with Josh Matthews). So many IWC members are always talking about "the good old days" of the Attitude Era, and I'm a firm believer that it wasn't necessarily the TV-MA rating that made the show good back then; it was more about every character on TV actually having a compelling storyline. I know the competition from WCW was also a factor, and it seemed the WWF's roster had very high morale at the time. Their roster in the late 1990s was outstanding, and everyone was able to take what they were told and knock it out of the park (most of the time).

If TNA can make their audience care about Spud, they should be able to do similar things for guys with no on-air personality (like Tigre Uno, and Manik - to a lesser extent). Granted, a performer can be given the greatest storyline in the world and still not deliver a good performance...but I feel like Corgan has a lot of passion for TNA (and pro wrestling as a whole). Hopefully that passion will end up being contagious, and we'll see TNA's talent start to seem like they really care again. I suppose that the opposite could also happen, and TNA's low locker room morale (if you believe some recent reports) could rub off on Corgan instead (that seems to have happened to others in Corgan's position in the past)...I hope that doesn't happen, and that Corgan is able to keep his passion after working for Dixie & Co for a while. I can only imagine that the actual process of writing 52+ shows a year could suck the creativity (and love for the business) out of anyone if they're not careful.

Reactions: X
Right there is were I already get worried, we've seen wrestling bookers like Bischoff & Russo try there ideas that came off in the 90's in the 00's and beyond.
If Billy Corgan's approach to TNA is layering several guitar tracks over each other, then I'll be concerned about him using his ideas from the '90s today. However, the art medium he's working in currently is extremely different from the one where he applied his 1990's ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back