Exclusive on WWE.COM - Sting Opens Up About INJURY

L@RISANO

R.I.P Mustang Sally :( :( :(
http://www.wwe.com/inside/sting-interviewed-about-night-of-champions-injuries-27958909

The moment was disturbing to watch. At the 11:58 mark in his WWE World Heavyweight Title Match at Night of Champions, Sting was heaved backward through the air by his opponent Seth Rollins and into one of the turnbuckles. Upon impact, the iconic Superstar's head snapped back with alarming velocity. Once he landed, his legs betrayed him, and he wobbled out of the corner, his right leg faltering so completely, he collapsed near the ropes. When Sting fell a second time, the referee waved in a WWE trainer to determine if The Icon was still able to compete. He insisted he was. And though Sting eventually lost the match, the WWE Universe took mild comfort in seeing him soldier on.

Since that night, rumors have been rampant as to what really transpired and whether or not Sting was truly as hurt as many had feared. Herein, The Vigilante speaks exclusively with WWE.com about what exactly went wrong, his thoughts on the title-retaining Seth Rollins and whether or not he'll ever compete again.

WWE.COM: It’s been a few days since your match at Night of Champions. How are you feeling?

STING: Aside from a stiff neck, I’m a little banged up, but otherwise, I feel good. Pretty standard after wrestling a match like that.

WWE.COM: Can you set everyone straight on the extent of your injury, as you await further evaluation?

STING: Bottom line, I had tingling, numbness down both arms, all the way to my fingertips. And then, later in the match, I just fell wrong, whatever it was, and this time [the tingling and numbness] went down both arms and into my legs, and I couldn’t feel my legs too well. They just felt like rubber. I don’t know how to describe it. I had to go down on all fours there for a minute, get my composure. I was a little … I was worried.

Long term, well, I’m just going to take care of the short term first and see how the long term might play out.

WWE.COM: What kind of treatment did you receive after your injury at Night of Champions?

STING: I was out in the hospital — out like a light. They had a neck brace on me, and they were pumping me with [medication] to get me out of pain. I had to do a CT scan and an MRI. They ended up talking to my wife, and I have some details from my wife, but I still have [further evaluation ahead]. They mentioned cervical spinal stenosis, but that’s only part of what I heard. I don’t know if there’s anything else. The doctor did tell my wife, “He’s going to have to get this dealt with. He’s lucky he walked out of there.”

WWE.COM: Is getting back in the ring again something you’d want to do? Do you have that desire to return?

STING: [long pause] Hmmm, in the right scenario … in the right scenario, yeah.

WWE.COM: Were you aware of exactly when your injury occurred during the match?

STING: Oh, yeah, definitely. Both times into the turnbuckle. First time was like a whiplash. [pause] It’s my fault, bottom line. I know better. The second time, I went up into the air and back toward the turnbuckle like that, I thought, “Well, that’s not going to happen again,” and it did. The second time was worse.

WWE.COM: That was when you lost your legs a bit.

STING: Yeah.

WWE.COM: Have you watched the match at all?

STING: No, I have not.

WWE.COM: Any desire?

STING: You know, for 30 years I have watched very, very little of myself wrestling, so I probably would not.

WWE.COM: Can you describe what was going through your mind toward the end when the referee stopped the match?

STING: The referee, the doctor, they’re all in there talking to me: “Are you OK? What’s going on? Can you continue? Are you all right? Tell us what’s happening.” And the whole time, I’m just thinking, “Oh, man, not now,” I mean, I want this to be good, you know? And if it ends up being the last thing I ever do in the ring, I don’t want to go out like this.

“God help me.” I’m trying to just shake it off, you know? “C’mon, c’mon.” I’m stamping my feet or moving my toes, just trying to get a feel back, get my legs back underneath me. It started to kind of clear up a little bit. My fingers were still tingling and all that, but my legs were not at that point. I said, “Let me try to continue, let’s just try it.” So I just stood up and walked away from them, and we continued.

WWE.COM: At one point, as the evaluation was happening, the crowd began chanting, “Sting! Sting! Sting!” Were you aware of that and, if so, did that help to motivate you?

STING: I don’t remember that now. I don’t remember a “Sting!” chant [during that evaluation], but I was very coherent. The doctors were talking to me — everyone was talking to me, so I knew what was going on. I’d like to say in the moment I had to have heard and understood what the crowd was doing. From the dive from the top rope onto Seth on the floor [prior to the evaluation], the crowd started a “Sting!” chant there, and I thought, “Wow.” I mean, they see this [type of maneuver] every other minute, but coming from the 56-year-old guy, I think they appreciated it all the more.

WWE.COM: How would you describe competing against Seth Rollins?

STING: The biggest pleasure. I’m honored. After 30 years and working with some of the best and some of the greatest, [Rollins] is, I’m telling you, he’s got to be the best I’ve ever worked with. I mean, this guy has it. And I think he’s just scratching the surface on what he will do. I’ve never seen somebody as talented. He’s working two [matches] on Raw, two [matches] on the pay-per-view, he’s involved in every other segment and it’s physical. He’s got guys coming from every angle. There’s a lot on his plate. He’s carrying a lot, and he’s handling it. He’s proven he can do it. I’m just glad I had a chance to work with him. He’s the kind of guy who could be in there with a broomstick and make something very interesting happen, a match that people would love somehow.

WWE.COM: That’s incredibly high praise coming from Sting.

STING: Really, I can’t say enough. He poked his head in the ambulance and said, “Man, I’m so sorry. I don’t know what happened.” I said, “Seth, don’t worry about it. It’s not your fault.” And he, for 15 minutes, he said, “I just wanted to tell you what an honor it was, what a pleasure. I can’t believe I had a chance to get in the ring with you and work with you. I was you for Halloween when I was a kid.” He was on and on about it, but man, this young guy, he doesn’t have any idea how much I appreciate being able to work with him.

WWE.COM: Well, where does that leave Sting? Was this your last match?

STING: I hate it when I’m asked that question because the answer truly is a question mark, and the question mark is as bold as it could ever be at this point.

WWE.COM: Wait and see?

STING: Yeah, for now.

WWE.COM: Well, the important thing is that you walked away from it. There’s been quite a bit of speculation on the Internet as to what happened, so thank you for taking the time to speak with us. Any closing words for your fans?

STING: I have not been on the Internet, but I have heard some things here and there. To be quite honest, I just shut myself in once I got home. I can’t tell you the number of text messages and phone calls I received. But listen, I’m grateful, thankful and appreciate wrestling fans now — after 30 years — I appreciate them now more than I ever have.

Some really interesting stuff has been said. It does seem as though this could well be the end of the road for Sting's In-Ring career.
However, he did put over Seth Rollins' credentials big time, going as far as calling him "The Best" he has ever worked with.

I'm still holding out faith, albeit very faint, that the Icon vs the Phenom match could still happen, possibly at Mania 32, in a grand sendoff for perhaps 2 of the greatest gimmicks in Pro-Wrestling history.
Nevertheless, as Sting pointed out, he has to take care of the short term first, before thinking too far ahead. Hope he can make a recovery soon enough. Get well soon, Stinger! "You Still Got It!"

Gained a ton of respect for him for finishing that match, though it was pretty stupid considering it's a neck/spine injury.

I hope the Stinger doesn't have to go out like that. I understand he's in his mid-50s and in incredible shape, but Father Time always wins. Unfortunately, the bumps and toll on Sting's body may have finally caught up with him. I'll always be a fan. Thanks for everything Sting. From my childhood to now you will forever be an ICON in the WRESTLING WORLD and your STAR will always shine bright.

Tons of respect to Sting for putting over Rollins not just in the match, but also in the post-injury interview. And all the more respect to him for worrying about ending the match in a proper way even when his body couldn't run anymore. I thought that the cries of his injury were exaggerated like the post-WM Taker reports, but seems like it really was very serious. Glad that he is okay now and hope he will be able to return for one last hurrah. (I'm still hoping for a Sting vs Taker match!)
Btw, I wonder why he didn't care much about the fans for the last 30 years though... I don't remember reading about Sting ever having a bad experience with a fan.

Spinal Stenosis is pretty common in anybody in their late 40s and up, just your body breaking down due to the again process. Most people don't even know they have it until they get hurt so I'm not surprised about the diagnosis. Depending on the severity of it treatment is anything from medication and exercise all the way on up to having your vertabrae surgically fused together, which is essentially what put guys like Rick Rude, Arn Anderson, DDP and Edge and probably a few others on the sidelines so we probably have seen the last of Sting as far as an in ring performer goes. I don't think anyone could blame him if he decides to call it quits, he's had an amazing 30 year career(love him or hate him he has) He's been a superstar everywhere he's gone and even more amazingly is he did it without the WWE's help. Not to mention he's only had two major injuries, his patellar tendon early on in his career and this. If that match closes the final chapter on his career I think he can look at it and be proud, yeah he doesn't have a PPV win in the WWE but up until that buckle bomb him and Rollin's were having a fantastic match in my opinion, so if the Stinger has to hang it up, all I can say is thanks for the memories.

I've talked about this in a post already. I would just like to requote it for you.

One ought to know that Sting is 56 years old and his body can't go beyond the limit. But he went and got injured. They should've discussed in the meeting what moves should Rollins allowed to us. Or maybe Sting should've told Rollins to not buckle bomb him again after he experienced whiplash from the first one. Both men are responsible here

Cheers!!

This certainly isn't as bad as once thought, because the WWE generally won't turn an injury into a work unless that performer is coming back. Typically, if this was a career ender, there would be no statements about it, and then Sting would make a retirement speech, if they deemed it necessary, or, like Christian, he'd just fade out. Since he's already doing a worked interview on WWE.com, I have no doubts that there is all intention for him to return.

You really have to admire professional wrestlers. The entire nature of this form of sports entertainment is to pretend you're in pain, making it virtually impossible for us to tell when someone is truly injured......but whether they are or not, they soldier on.

Here's Steve Borden at age 56, knowing he's far from peak shape for pro wrestling.....and experienced enough to know he's taken a shot that would force athletes of other sports to head immediately to the sidelines.

What does Sting do? He tells the officials he wants to continue.....and does, finishing the match.

Why?

Because that's what his kind does, that's why.

I think of how many major league baseball players I've suspected of faking (or exaggerating) injuries to get some time off......and when I do, it reminds me how unfair it is when folks refer to pro wrestling as 'fake.'

You really have to admire professional wrestlers. The entire nature of this form of sports entertainment is to pretend you're in pain, making it virtually impossible for us to tell when someone is truly injured......but whether they are or not, they soldier on.

Here's Steve Borden at age 56, knowing he's far from peak shape for pro wrestling.....and experienced enough to know he's taken a shot that would force athletes of other sports to head immediately to the sidelines.

What does Sting do? He tells the officials he wants to continue.....and does, finishing the match.

Why?

Because that's what his kind does, that's why.

I think of how many major league baseball players I've suspected of faking (or exaggerating) injuries to get some time off......and when I do, it reminds me how unfair it is when folks refer to pro wrestling as 'fake.'
The difference between those in the big five sports are paid GUARANTEED money by contract. Even if they have a sniffle, a lot of team officials will scrap them for the game. Why? They have MILLIONS of dollars tied up in them. Why do you think pitching a complete game is such a rarity these days? Any Manager that is risking a $10 million arm by pitching him every inning of every game is asking to be fired. Even if that pitcher went 35-0 with 600 strikeouts and an ERA of 0.00, that Manager is going to get canned for reckless use of a pitcher because he pitched over 300 innings. Not a way, in this day and age, to protect a $10 million arm.

In wrestling, if you do not work, you do not eat. Plain and simple. If Sting could not wrestle, they will find another live body. Why do you think Adam Rose will do anything short of being VKM's personal toilet paper to stay in WWE, when his career might be better off elsewhere? He is at least guaranteed WORK. Maverick's nutrition is NOT cheap. Unless it is covered by insurance, Rose is dropping $1000-1500 a month just on the G-Tube feedings. He'd have to wrestle every day in the Indy scene to just HOPE to pay for it all. Look at the average Indy wrestler. They have to have side jobs just to put food on the table. So, Hot dogs and handshakes do not work. But, if they are offered a payday, they will go wherever there is money. But, they will go. Why? They do not work, they do not eat.

:worship: :worship: :worship: Massive respect to Sting for finishing the match as well as putting Rollins over, big time. And yes, he put him over in the interview.

I don't think this is anyone's fault. Sting, a 56 year old guy, worked a solid match. Rollins gave his best too. Sting hadn't been wrestling for a long time. Moreover, this is one of Rollins' signature moves. So, he couldn't resist executing the move.

Kudos to Sting!

In wrestling, if you do not work, you do not eat.

You make good points, and this paints Sting in an even better light for continuing to perform Sunday night. At his age and with his legacy, he could have bowed out early since he doesn't have to worry about where his next meal is coming from. But he adhered to the time-honored method in pro wrestling: keep going.

Your post also reminds of me of those 'special' contracts in WCW during the Bischoff era. I might have it wrong but didn't guys like Kevin Nash have deals that guaranteed they were paid whether they wrestled or not? I remember reading that he canceled out of a bunch of appearances.....and he was compensated anyway. If so, that was a good example of having his cake and eating it, too.

It was guarenteed up to so many appearances, I think I've heard Nash say it was like 180 appearances a year so I guess anything after that he really wasn't required to fullfill unless he wanted to.

Sting is an ICON no doubt about it! He gained an enormous amount of respect but also,the man is 56 years old! The way his head and neck was snapped violently worried me that he snapped his neck on the spot..

He is ever so lucky that he walked away from that match,and him continuing in that match when he didnt have to? Why? Because People Bought Tickets to see the Stinger compete thats why..

I am sick and tired of people continually to bash pro wrestlers but thats another subject. Hell a Major League pitcher has a hangnail and is placed on the 15 DL! I understand the guaranteed contracts and such but wresters are very tough individuals!

I'm sure we've seen the last of Sting as an in ring competitor, I would hope he has one last one in him because he looked fairly good out there before the buckle bomb, but if this is it then despite the injure I honestly think he went out on a high note, he had some impressive spots in the match from going through the announce table, to the high cross body to the outside, even the buckle bombs, in my opinion I think he held his own pretty well against a man half his age, and I've watched Sting for 20 plus years and yeah he's lost quite a bit over the years but you know what he finished the match, walked out under his own power and despite those who think he's being buried in the WWE its all a matter of opinion, he's now done it all, he had an amazing career throughout all of Turner's WCW(and before) winning all their major titles, he had a fairly good run with TNA, had his Wrestlemania moment and even a WWE Championship opportunity. To quote Triple H his legacy is intact and will live on forever, WWE will find plenty of use for him still through the WWE Network and DVDs. I love Sting he's been my favorite wrestler since the day I started watching, but I'd rather see him walk away now then risk further damaging himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back