The WWE Should be More like UFC!

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Heh, Sidious would kill me for this...)

I don't mean gimmick-wise, or in-ring-style-wise, but there are several things that WWE could take from UFC in order to improve. This came to me when I was watching UFC for the first time yesterday, as I wanted to try and get into MMA a bit more. It didn't work, but it gave me some ideas.

First off were the interesting video packages on every fighter before each fight. There needs to be a lot more of those in every show. NXT does them, and I love them. They give you a lot more insight into the wrestler's character and motives. It helps each match feel a lot more important. Why can't WWE do this? Instead of a RAW recap, give us a small interview video. I know they try to do this from time to time and make great videos for feuds, but I think giving one to competitors before each match would make us, the audience, care more for the wrestlers. Plus, the wrestlers could use them to work on mic skills. It's a win/win situation.

Next, UFC acknowledged Takanori Gomi's background, and put him over as a "legend" in MMA. They showed clips of his fights from different companies.

Why can't WWE do this?

WWE has nothing to fear. I know TNA likes to think of itself as competition, but it really isn't, at least not yet. Why can't the WWE buy a small amount of ROH or even TNA footage for debuting stars and put it in video packages, while acknowledging legit backgrounds. Imagine if they had done it to R-Truth. They could have put him over as a legit world title contender and sold him to the fans immediately. They could do this with any big-name indy star. They're doing this on NXT with Daniel Bryan (albeit only with FCW footage), so why not everyone? Who will it harm?

I know WWE is paranoid about giving TNA free advertising, but I don't see why companies can't work together. TNA right now isn't even a real blip on the radar. Indy promotions are just that: Indy promotions. Purchasing a small amount of footage and acknowledging legit backgrounds will do nothing to harm the WWE in any way. In fact, it would help them by showing off future stars before they arrive in the company.

Third, the WWE should have more interesting announcers. The announcer yesterday put a lot of showboating into the announcing, adding nicknames, arm flourishes, and drawn out calls. Why can't the WWE add in showboating to make the announcing of the names bigger and better? It made each fight feel less like a fight and more like an event.

So, tell me, are these good ideas? Do you agree or disagree?

I once thought it would be cool for a promotion to have weight classes like UFC and boxing. Have a heavyweight, middleweight, lightweight, etc division and champions. Don't make any one division more important than the other. That way wrestlers of any size would be able to get over and main event. I really don't think that this idea would work, but it would be an interesting concept. This has been kind of off topic so far, so I'll try to go back to the main topic.

I don't think that EVERY match needs to have a video package. Does Sheamus vs Evan Bourne really deserve one? I would only have them on PPV's. Have them be what WWE did the first few weeks on NXT. Have the wrestlers talk about themselves as well as the match. It would add something different to what we've seen 100 times before.

I agree with a lot of those points. I think the reason NXT is so compelling is because it is people actually trying to make it in the wrestling business and feuds develop from that concept. In the main programs it seems that championships stem from feuds and not the other way around. UFC is basically what I loved about the old WWF/WWE. People who are in the business to be the best not because it's cool or makes you money.

I get the feeling that matches never just happen anymore. They all serve some greater purpose (further a feud or set up a feud). In the UFC every fight is each fighter trying to prove they can make it.

With that said, I think the ideas you just posed are great. It would be awesome to see more information on these guys. Let's know something about them and not just that they're there. The NXT guys are very compelling because I know about them. I know Tarver has boxing background, I know Otunga is "a-list", and I know Slater has a rock star thing going. Point is I can connect with them immediately because I know more about them. The interview system would be an amazing way to get the wrestlers to improve their mic skills. They could break down their interviews and fix what makes them uninteresting or bad on the mic.

Also I think the video package would be amazing as well. I actually have never seen Dragon wrestle outside of NXT, and the videos from FCW, and it would be cool to see what everyone is talking about. Also, like you said, it makes new wrestlers more credible without the slow build.

Lastly the announcers are tough. It would require some cooperation from the people writing their stuff and Cole, Stryker, etc. I think it would be great if they made things more interesting. I sometimes think that they would be better off pretending like they have never seen a wrestling match so cool things would seem that much cooler when an announcer freaked out... kinda like Joey Styles.

the reason you see the video's from gomi's past was because they were from the defunct pride fighting championships, which ufc's parent company now own. wwe wouldnt be able to buy footage from tna im pretty much sure tna would laugh at them if they tried.

Divisions-wise, WWE was a lot like UFC when it came to having a weight class. I don't know why they stopped but they had a Cruiserweight Championship and everything else.

And back in the early 2000's WWE had something called "Tale Of The Tape" which was kind of like a UFC featurette where it listed the superstars, their battle strategy, finishers, etc. But that stopped too.

Honestly, I never want to see WWE looking like UFC except for their care for their fighters. They promote their Ultimate Fighters exceptionally well, where they don't need a gimmick to get over. WWE should look into that.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy gimmick wrestling; in fact I love it it's the reason I keep tuning in. But from an individual standpoint Vince McMahon should take some notes from D. White. He sells it well.

I'll admit that sometimes they don't hype things as well as they should but seriously think about this, if every match and wrestler who was wrestling that night had a video package that was 2 minutes long plus commercials you may get 3-4 matches out of this, I mean you have commercials and stuff too so you really lose the feel of the match by it being hyped all night.

I mean I remember they were talking about some match on UFC Fight night Live and it was hyped for half the night and was a 30 second fight and I was disappointed going thats it yeah thats nice you knocked him out but I wanted 15 minutes of blood.

but if you must know the WWE does hype their wrestlers but its one wrestler a week on WWE Superstars so you get to know them.

Then you have major feuds in a video package, but I wouldn't have a wrestler talk about whats going on because it does take away from the gimmick.

OK, maybe a package for "every match" is an exaggeration, but how about for the main events of the shows, and some for wrestlers that need to keep momentum going? And on PPVs they could have one for every match. They could even incorporate them into the feud packages by showing big moments in the feuds and then the wrestlers' reactions.

As for purchasing footage, I beliee that indy companies would be a lot more receptive than you think. WWE is the biggest company out there and there is no denying this. They could give the other companies some free advertising, because it's not like they're going to be a major threat any time soon. Maybe this is an idealistic view, so I'll offer an alternative. Many wrestlers go through FCW, right? Why not show clips from there?

It seems as if this idea would work better for the main events. It would definitely give the matches a much more realistic feel. I remember a couple of years ago when they sort of did the UFC promo videos for Brock/Rock. It was a very good package that I enjoyed quiet a lot and mind you that was before I got into MMA. If they did something like that for the title matches it would work a lot better then doing it for all the matches, not to mention it would consume anymore time because in essence you're still just doing a video package to hype the same match, but with a modification.

I like the "Ultimate Fighter" idea for the WWE. I know they tried it with Maven, but, I think they could have made it a little better.
Let the wrestlers have their own personalities (or try to use their own persona).
A panel of judges (Triple H, Vince, + others) vote them off. Vince knows what he wants, it's going to make money. I think it'll be a good idea.

Those are good ideas but this is something I've been thinking about for a while and I think that the WWE should emulate other things from MMA organizations...

First, MMA doesn't use adult storylines to sell their product. I don't care if Joe Rogan talks about how exciting the technique in the grappling is until he's blue in the face. Because the reason professional wrestling was invented is b/c real fights are boring and rarely as exciting as the hype. It's either a two minute knock out for $50 on a pay per view or 15 minutes of two dudes rolling on the ground. No moonsaults, no fireworks, no refunds. All they have is just a little bit of trash talking at weigh ins and press conferences, maybe even some sort of training debacle the continues on into the octagon. No using of Ortiz's girlfriend Jenna Jameson and any other relations she might've had. The WWE is going in a more family friendly direction, so maybe using some more backstage vignettes for feuds, like when Kurt Angle's celebrating trashed milk all over the Undertaker's bike.

Another step would be in presenting the WWE as more of a sport. Most MMA fights wind up being 15 minutes of half wrestling on the ground with no knockout blow. And keeping time outside of time limit matches might help steer it in that direction. This way you can gauge a good Jericho fight as a crazy ten minute wrestling clinic or Kane being a monster and killing someone in a two minute squash. Also, post match press conferences might be a good idea to continue feuds, it'll give local newspapers, WWE magazine, and PWI something to do when the WWE is in town. I know the WWE had to break kayfabe and remove itself from presenting itself as a sport in order to be legal in some states, like New Jersey. So I don't now close to presenting itself as a sport WWE can do as part of the legality. But very few still believe in prowrestling as a straight fight and not a show. And just because you know it's just a show doesn't mean you can't enjoy the stunt work, the characters, and the spectacle.

Also, in MMA a rear naked choke is a sure finish. Once it's clinched the match is over and the only thing left to see is if the dude will tap out or pass out. But it's been years since I've seen someone lose in wrestling to a sleeper (which is basically the same move). I think the last time was either when Tazz was still wrestling and winning, or the handful of times HHH used it. Every other time, they do the painfully predictable two and a half hand drops before coming back to life and either elbowing or suplexing their way out. Maybe have HHH use it as his submission finisher more often, b/c every other top tier guy has their main finisher and a submission, ie John Cena has the FU/STFU, Jericho has the Codebreaker/Walls of Jericho, Undertaker has the Last Ride/Tombstone/Hell's Gate.

Another idea idea would be using KOs or TKOs more often. HHH could just pedigree a dude to death or the ref could immediately stop the match after a Tombstone with Undertaker's opponent's leg still twitching. I mean sometimes the pin is just inevitable, so why bother and bring out the smelling salts. I know some wrestlers might think it makes them look weak, but it's just a show. Actors don't get mad when they lose in the end, Heath Ledger was a badass joker but I doubt he tried to use his clout to get a draw with Christian Bale, and Topher Grace didn't try to get Venom a more suitable finish against Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man. The main difference is the Dark Knight and Spider-Man 3 both ended and it's done. Wrestling continues and there is always the rematch.

:rolleyes: I think this UFC style type thing has some merit to it. Granted many of the submission moves you see the superstars using, you already see on the UFC shows already. The Undertaker's Hell's Gate, is the Triangle hold, and the Dragon Sleeper, etc..list can go on. I think the possibilities are endless. Especially going back to the days when you had Ken Shamrock in the Lion's Den thing going on, that would really intensify a match. Imagine someone like Maryse who is strictly show, where as you have Beth Phoenix who is power and technical. I think it'd be a way to elevate and prove those who REALLY want to be there, and those who just want to use it as a springboard for HOLLYWOOD or Modeling careers. Because wrestlers/fighters will use ANY platform to show their skills no matter what the arena. I for one wouldn't mind maybe a PPV that WWE does maybe like "Rage In The Cage" (I know the name is already taken,) but something along those lines..like in a UFC type cage. :shrug: Also, rest in peace, Benoit, if he were still alive, if this submission type UFC thing were to happen, you KNOW he'd be like a BEAST in this field.

Lastly the announcers are tough. It would require some cooperation from the people writing their stuff and Cole, Stryker, etc. I think it would be great if they made things more interesting. I sometimes think that they would be better off pretending like they have never seen a wrestling match so cool things would seem that much cooler when an announcer freaked out... kinda like Joey Styles.

OK, here you've misunderstood me, and I think I may have to clear things up for a few people:

When I say "announcers" I mean in-ring announcers, NOT commentary teams like Cole/King etc.

Bruce Buffer was loud and excited as he said the names of the fighters. He drew out the names for as long as possible in order to get a great crowd reaction. He gestured, and was extremely dynamic with his announcing. I don't see why Justin Roberts or Tony Chimel can't do that. It's the little things that make each match seem more exciting.

What you are asking wouldn't work in my opinion. For the most part, in my own experience, most UFC fans don't watch each and every fight night and only watch the monthly PPV's. So the pre-match interviews on UFC TV comes in handy as we get to see these interviews again, We see the training they have gone through and their confidence levels rise. This works because the fight we are about to see on the PPV (or even the fight nights... they all have the same build up) is real. What happens is not pre-scripted. It may often be predictable but surprises can happen and do often. Most recent example is Carwin's KO of Mir. I expected Carwin to pick up the win, but not in that manner, nor in the first round. I also didn't expect GSP to win so comprehensively over Hardy, perhaps that's because I was rooting for my fellow Brit though.

WWE hasn't got that unpredictability. Sure, occasionally you have moments like the Jack Swagger winning the MITB seeming from nowhere or Shawn Michaels retirement being kept under wraps but, as I've often said, if you could gamble on Pro Wrestling we'd all be rolling in it. Because of the almost assurance as to who will win most matches at a PPV, a pre fight promo video isn't really enough. The storyline that leads up to the PPV on Raw or Smackdown is integral to it being memorable or not.

Example for that would have to be Shawn Michaels Vs Chris Jericho a few years ago. Imagine all you watched was the PPV fights. Sure, they were good matches but the work we got from both competitors on the mic, especially Jericho who perhaps created his best ever persona during that storyline, made it phenomenal. Memorable. Special.

The pre fight interviews in MMA are what we see take place in the ring on Raw each week in WWE. In regards to how NXT videos are presented... sure they're similar to the UFC ones but I've seen the same video multiple times for each rookie. I's not personal to the fight they are due to have. It is more character building rather than storyline focused. That's again due to the real/fake divide.

What the WWE does need to realise, as mentioned earlier in this thread by CrunKSinatrA, Submissions.

There are 2 things in particular. Despite their "Don't try this" videos, they know we do as kids. I even do it now, at 23, at times. Aaaaand because we're not really trained to do things, we put people in wristlocks and figure fours and sharpshooters and they fucking hurt. Back when I was a kid, it made me actually respect wrestlers more for withstanding these finishers as long as they do, sometimes even escaping. I was tapping after suffering my first Walls of Jericho within 10 seconds. It hurt. But I'm watching The Rock suffer in agony for minutes at a time. Wow. How tough must he be?

Now, MMA is much more mainstream. More people watch it. More people actually know what it is and we see things like a kimora or a rear naked choke or an arm bar and they tap pretty much straight away and if they don't they suffer for it. Are we then supposed to believe that submissions aren't painful when we watch WWE? Makes me think they aren't applying it correctly.

Submissions should be rarely used and be match enders. Wrestlers should really struggle to avoid them being applied. Flee from the ring. A few wrestlers do, but that's normally main eventers. I'm not as good as Hornswoggle at wrestling but I'd still try with all my might to avoid my arm being broken. So why can't Carlito?

I don't mean gimmick-wise, or in-ring-style-wise, but there are several things that WWE could take from UFC in order to improve. This came to me when I was watching UFC for the first time yesterday, as I wanted to try and get into MMA a bit more. It didn't work, but it gave me some ideas.
YOu're right, there are definately things that Vince can and should learn from places like MMA. And chances are, he is learning/taking ideas from them (he's an experienced mind, and he's got enough brain power to know what works for a similar product might work well for his).
First off were the interesting video packages on every fighter before each fight. There needs to be a lot more of those in every show. NXT does them, and I love them.
I love them too. It's one of those things that makes NXT better than any prior method of getting newbies onto the main show. I think NXT meets some of your other things that UFC does better than WWE.
They give you a lot more insight into the wrestler's character and motives.
Yes they do. Thanks to the NXT packages, I know that Daniel Bryan's dream is to headline WrestleMania, Wade Barrett wants to make millions, That David Otunga went to Harvard and has met the President... twise. They're great.
It helps each match feel a lot more important.
I'm not sure about that. If it highlighted a feud, or showed the two's differeing opinions maybe. I'd have to see it in action.
Why can't WWE do this? Instead of a RAW recap, give us a small interview video.
God yes, drop the Raw Rebound. If you're watching SD or NXT, chances are you watch Raw too. It's a waste of time and effort. THe small interview would be an awesome thing to put in, as you say it builds character
I know they try to do this from time to time and make great videos for feuds, but I think giving one to competitors before each match would make us, the audience, care more for the wrestlers. Plus, the wrestlers could use them to work on mic skills. It's a win/win situation.
But then you've got the whole quality vs quantity thing. Lets face it, the microsegments are not going to be as awesome as (for example) the HBK/'Taker packages. They dont need to be either, as long as they look professionally done. In addition, as long as they keep the freaking awesome packages for big feuds, it's win/win/win (we still get awesome packages, it helps people work on their mic skills, we get more reason to care about the characters).
Next, UFC acknowledged Takanori Gomi's background, and put him over as a "legend" in MMA. They showed clips of his fights from different companies.
See: Daniel Bryan's NXT package. They admit he's an indie god, trained by SHawn Michaels and isnt a Rookie. That's as close as you're going to get to that since WWE cant use footage from ROH or other Indie feds because (A) they dont own the rights to it and (B) Advertising the competition = big no no in Vince's book
Why can't WWE do this?

WWE has nothing to fear. I know TNA likes to think of itself as competition, but it really isn't, at least not yet.
You're sort of right there. TNA isn't close to being able to match WWE in the ratings. However, as I said, free advertising is good for TNA and gets little benefit for WWE.
Why can't the WWE buy a small amount of ROH or even TNA footage for debuting stars and put it in video packages, while acknowledging legit backgrounds.
WWE buying ROH footage has very little downside (as long as they scrubbed out the ROH logos and/or replaced them with WWE/FCW/AWA/Other subsidury/meaningless logos. However I dont think that ROH would agree to it. A lot of their income (I believe) still comes from DVD sales. If WWE purchesed the rights of that footage, I think that'd mean ROH couldn't have it on their DVDs any more (which would mean no more Bryan Danielson DVD sales and any backlog DVDs with footage that WWE owns). TNA, no chance in hell. Mentioning WWE did wonders for WCW in the Monday night wars.
Imagine if they had done it to R-Truth. They could have put him over as a legit world title contender and sold him to the fans immediately.
If they put him over as a multiple time NWA/World Champion, yes they could have. Not that WWE have shown that they want hom in the main event and he didn't get MASSIVELY over without it.
They could do this with any big-name indy star. They're doing this on NXT with Daniel Bryan (albeit only with FCW footage), so why not everyone? Who will it harm?
Aside from the fact that WWE doesnt hire Big Name Stars very often (Punk and Bryan are the only two which I can think of that made it further than jobberville) and when they do, they typically spend long enough in developmental for WWE to be able to use its own footage in any video packages (I believe even CM Punk was in OVW for a couple of years). And the difference between FCW and ROH is that WWE owns it and therefore doesnt have to buy the footage or advertise what could be constructed as competition.
I know WWE is paranoid about giving TNA free advertising, but I don't see why companies can't work together.
See: WCW mentioning WWE. they were streets ahead at times, and they lost (see: Mick Foley putting asses in seats)
TNA right now isn't even a real blip on the radar.
I qouldnt go that far, given how it's at the same time as raw, and you REALLY dont want to be givong fans in the closet about the competition an endorsement to give said competition a look
Indy promotions are just that: Indy promotions. Purchasing a small amount of footage and acknowledging legit backgrounds will do nothing to harm the WWE in any way. In fact, it would help them by showing off future stars before they arrive in the company.
wouldnt hurt the WWE no. It would massively hurt the indie fed though, as I said earlier. Also, McMahon tends to try and get his imported superstars over by their WWE persona and actions rather than trly on a preexisting one.
Third, the WWE should have more interesting announcers. The announcer yesterday put a lot of showboating into the announcing, adding nicknames, arm flourishes, and drawn out calls. Why can't the WWE add in showboating to make the announcing of the names bigger and better? It made each fight feel less like a fight and more like an event.
I totally agree here. Announcers and commentators should be more like Matt Striker. Completely excited, and pulling random nicknames out of nowhere. He'd probably make a good announcer actually.

First off were the interesting video packages on every fighter before each fight. There needs to be a lot more of those in every show. NXT does them, and I love them. They give you a lot more insight into the wrestler's character and motives. It helps each match feel a lot more important. Why can't WWE do this?
I disagree. A wrestler gets over by presenting his persona to the crowd himself. If WWE were to make these packages, then anyone can get over. The wrestlers need to show they have what it takes to make a connection with the audience. A package like this would just basically allow anyone to go up on the card without much promo time in the ring. Its one thing to talk to a camera, its another to directly interact with the crowd.

Instead of a RAW recap, give us a small interview video. I know they try to do this from time to time and make great videos for feuds, but I think giving one to competitors before each match would make us, the audience, care more for the wrestlers. Plus, the wrestlers could use them to work on mic skills. It's a win/win situation.
Again no. They should cut both. Ring time, weither its on the mic or wrestling, is better than an interview in pro wrestling.
the crowd needs to know you mean business and you aren't afraid to show your character to them in person. Remember, its not a sport, its a form of entertainment through sport. Plus, people are payin got see you in the ring, not watch the monitor.

Why can't WWE do this?

WWE has nothing to fear. I know TNA likes to think of itself as competition, but it really isn't, at least not yet. Why can't the WWE buy a small amount of ROH or even TNA footage for debuting stars and put it in video packages, while acknowledging legit backgrounds. Imagine if they had done it to R-Truth. They could have put him over as a legit world title contender and sold him to the fans immediately. They could do this with any big-name indy star. They're doing this on NXT with Daniel Bryan (albeit only with FCW footage), so why not everyone? Who will it harm?
[/QUOTE
]
PRIDE was defuct and bought out by UFC. Its similar to WWE and WCW.

I know WWE is paranoid about giving TNA free advertising, but I don't see why companies can't work together. TNA right now isn't even a real blip on the radar. Indy promotions are just that: Indy promotions. Purchasing a small amount of footage and acknowledging legit backgrounds will do nothing to harm the WWE in any way. In fact, it would help them by showing off future stars before they arrive in the company.
WWE allowed ECW to appear on screen. That bit them back. If WWE started promoting other... umm... promotions, they would basically be creating their own competition. I already mentioned ECW's rise through Monday Night Raw, now recall WCW. Eric Bishoff giving out the Raw results. On January (4th I believe) 1999 Raw turned the tide of the Monday Night War and it was all thanks to WCW for promoting them. If anything has been learned from the 90's its to avoid promoting the enemy.

I hate the nickname aspect of MMA. There is no reason behind them. They're just there. But why? Why is Chuck Liddel "The Iceman"? Why is Randy Couture "Natural"? Why is guy reffered to as such? When you look at WWE you have Edge, "The Rated R Superstar". Why is he named that? Because he Lewd, Crude and Tattooed. He tried to have sex on live TV and he has a hardcore wrestling background. Why is Batista an "Animal"? Because he's destructive in the ring, he's a strong man with an attitude and can hurt people. As an "animal", he seeks dominance at any cost.

Like I said, the wrestlers are the ones that need to provide the identity and make it grow. The announcers are just there to lend a small hand, hell, they can even be their own characters, just look at TNA's Jeremy Borash.

Probably...

I think there are some things that the WWE could do like the UFC. Rankings should be part of the WWE. In the UFC there always grooming the next title contender, always building up someone for the next "shot". A lot of times in WWE its the same old song and dance. I think that if there was some sort of rankings system within wwe it would bring more prestige to the title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back