• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TNA the UFC of wrestling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panic Switch

Dark Match Winner
TNA and UFC have quite a lot in common:
- A unique shaped ring, 6-Sides (TNA) and Octagon (UFC)
- More adult oriented progamming.
- TNA has at times dipped into the MMA style.
- In TNA, MMA fighters are respected (Lashley's gimmick is largely based upon his MMA career).
- TNA often incorporates real-life elements into storylines, giving it a realistic feel which of course UFC has as it is real.
- Both are "extreme" in nature of entertainment.
- Both are on the same network in the US.
- TNA has implemented a few more realistic match finishes in recent times, the time limit finish, the knock out finish etc.

So what do you guys think? Am I correct in the likening of UFC to TNA? Is this bad for TNA or good?

No offense, but in no way are TNA and UFC the same. UFC is at the top of its game and TNA is doing its best to figure out how to start CLIMBING to the top.

You note a few things that make TNA different from WWE, but being different doesn't always make you good.

im sorry too tell you but ufc and tna are totally different ufc knows its audience and how to make money where as tna are still trying to find there main audience so its a good idea but they are quite different

I was in no way referring to the way each company is managed but rather what product is produced. I thought that was made clear. Nor did I ever contend that TNA was as successful as UFC or WWE for that matter. Please read what I posted and my examples given before posting outlandish statements that do not relate to my original post's point.

TNA and UFC have quite a lot in common:
- A unique shaped ring, 6-Sides (TNA) and Octagon (UFC)
- More adult oriented progamming.
- TNA has at times dipped into the MMA style.
- In TNA, MMA fighters are respected (Lashley's gimmick is largely based upon his MMA career).
- TNA often incorporates real-life elements into storylines, giving it a realistic feel which of course UFC has as it is real.
- Both are "extreme" in nature of entertainment.
- Both are on the same network in the US.
- TNA has implemented a few more realistic match finishes in recent times, the time limit finish, the knock out finish etc.

So what do you guys think? Am I correct in the likening of UFC to TNA? Is this bad for TNA or good?

I'm not sure if I see the point you are trying to make, but you are comparing organizations from two different sports. However.... I do think that TNA has more similarities to UFC than WWE does, and if that's more along the lines of what you meant then I agree with you because TNA's product would appear more interesting to UFC fans than WWE. As for if it's bad for TNA or not, as long as it gets them more fans then it's good because the more fans you have, the better.

I'm not sure if I see the point you are trying to make, but you are comparing organizations from two different sports. However.... I do think that TNA has more similarities to UFC than WWE does, and if that's more along the lines of what you meant then I agree with you because TNA's product would appear more interesting to UFC fans than WWE. As for if it's bad for TNA or not, as long as it gets them more fans then it's good because the more fans you have, the better.

Yes you got my point perfectly. I agree, if they can tap into the UFC audience, there is potentially a lot of profit to made in that. UFC garners a large array of viewers and if TNA can gain their attention (like the Hogan interview on The Ultimate Fighter), a lot of them may switch over to see what the fuss is all about. The six-sided ring may leave them believing that there is some sort of association between the two organizations as well. I just personally feel that the UFC audience is what TNA should be trying to reach out to, as it would be their safest bet for tapping into a new market in my opinion. Thoughts?

Yes you got my point perfectly. I agree, if they can tap into the UFC audience, there is potentially a lot of profit to made in that. UFC garners a large array of viewers and if TNA can gain their attention (like the Hogan interview on The Ultimate Fighter), a lot of them may switch over to see what the fuss is all about. The six-sided ring may leave them believing that there is some sort of association between the two organizations as well. I just personally feel that the UFC audience is what TNA should be trying to reach out to, as it would be their safest bet for tapping into a new market in my opinion. Thoughts?

Maybe. The major problem is that some UFC fans hate the fact that both WWE and TNA are scripted. UFC is real, so TNA could turn away some of that crowd although a few of the ones who tune in out of curiosity might stick around. It never hurts to try to extent into a new group to market towards, like when Hogan cameo-ed on the Ultimate Fighter. The majority of UFC's fans won't like TNA at all, but that Hogan interview was a good idea because there's the chance at making new fans. I like that TNA is at least trying to make new fans in different markets because that is the best thing they can do right now.

Maybe. The major problem is that some UFC fans hate the fact that both WWE and TNA are scripted. UFC is real, so TNA could turn away some of that crowd although a few of the ones who tune in out of curiosity might stick around. It never hurts to try to extent into a new group to market towards, like when Hogan cameo-ed on the Ultimate Fighter. The majority of UFC's fans won't like TNA at all, but that Hogan interview was a good idea because there's the chance at making new fans. I like that TNA is at least trying to make new fans in different markets because that is the best thing they can do right now.

True, it is a good sign to see that they are reaching out. For a long time now, TNA was a small fish in a big ocean. But now with support building up from Spike and Hogan coming in, they are branching out to different mediums of entertainment etc. to attract viewers. I see this as a major improvement, for a long time now, it seemed they were doing little to nothing to attract new viewers.

Dagger Dias was right in his first sentence.

The problem with your statement is that isn't a coherently logical analogy. If someone said "A company" is to "X sport" as "B company" is to "Y sport" (leaving "entertainment" aspects aside for simplification) you would have to apply how A company is to B company in respect to both sports (in terms of the analogy you present, B would represent all other companies in that medium). Saying TNA respects MMA, incorporates aspects of MMA, or incorporates realism is not a comparison between the two; it's an interrelation that is frankly one-sided (as UFC does not share incorporating aspects of TNA, unless you count interviewing the Hulkster and Dixie Carter). Saying both are extreme and adult-oriented are not particularly specific to their organizations in relation to other organizations for terms of the comparison. Both being on the same network is irrelevant for any real discussion of how they are potentially equivalent to each other in comparison to other organizations in their medium.

The fact that they both have unique rings for their sports is the only point you made that supports your analogy.

If I said NBA is the NFL of Basketball most people would automatically agree because they are both the top, most commercially-viable, critically respectable, forefront company of their respective sports. That is why people would rather equivocate WWE with UFC. No one would say Arena Football is the NHL of football because they are both "action-packed"; it's a strange equation. Now you could maybe say TNA is the AFL of wrestling. That sounds like an arguable analogy and we could use the unique ring argument again as Arena plays with nets and a half field.

True, it is a good sign to see that they are reaching out. For a long time now, TNA was a small fish in a big ocean. But now with support building up from Spike and Hogan coming in, they are branching out to different mediums of entertainment etc. to attract viewers. I see this as a major improvement, for a long time now, it seemed they were doing little to nothing to attract new viewers.

I've mentioned it before in other threads that TNA just needs to advertise more. If we saw a TNA commercial as often as we saw a commercial for WWE's shows and PPV's, they would begin doing a lot better. Show commercials on channels other than Spike, keep doing cameos for the wrestlers on other programs, have them go on talk shows, I dunno.... They have a lot of options they can exercise. I want TNA to succeed, they have to begin doing stuff like the ideas I listed more often if they want to find new fans faster because they can't rely on commercials on Spike or people finding them by randomly flipping through channels.... (which is how I found them the first time back in 06). I predict that TNA can become huge in the future if they advertise better AND keep trying to tap into different markets of fans to look for because they can only keep getting better in my opinion if they keep that up.

Exactly. WWE or TNA aren't going to pull in new viewers that are UFC fans. Those guys already made up their minds about pro wrestling. TNA needs to concentrate on bringing in WWE fans and keeping their own fans happy.

a little bit. I think a more accurate comparison would be TNA vs UFC right before ZUFFA management took over. At that time, the UFC had just made some major plays(regulated by NJ and Nevada) and had just had change in the management(SEG to ZUFFA). The key portion is that management gave Dana White the ball and let him run with.

TNA is in similar circumstances. They've made some key plays(signing WWE caliber talent, prime time TV deal, video game) and Hulk is coming in. What remains to be seen is if there is a Dana White for TNA. Someone who loves the business so much they are going to bust their butt to make it succeed.

I see some similarities, but I'm not sure if pure MMA fans watch or even respect Pro wrestling. Ken Shamrock transitioned very well in the WWE, but who knows if he brought in NEW fans. TNA fans can easily become UFC fans, but I think the majority of UFC fans would still see TNA as fake fighting. Incorporating an 'MMA style' would only make pure MMA fans see wrestling as even more phony.

Heres how i look at it, UFC fights are boring compared to TNA matches. Most MMA/UFC fans i know think WWE is a joke but watch TNA for guys like Kurt Angle and Samoa joe because of their submission background.

I am making this claim because who ever has seen the Wolfe VS Angle matches knows what i am talking about. Even though Wolf VS Angle is scripted, you cant deny that there matches are more entertaining than a 100 boring UFC fights that are exactly like WWE matches where they spend most of the time in a hold. If a hardcore UFC fan watches Wolf and Angle then you have automatically got yourself a new fan.

The only thing they have in common is that they're both trying to seperate themselves from the genre they are. UFC wants people to think that they are ultimate fighting, what they actually are are Mixed martial artists. And TNA doesn't even have wrestling in their name. If they ever replaced WWE they would probably label their performers Actioneers or something gay like that

WWE is obviously the UFC of wrestling, considering it's currently #1. It has all the biggest names, has the most fans, and is the most recognizable.

TNA would be the Strikeforce of wrestling. It has some big names, including the best fighter in the world (Fedor, the AJ Styles of MMA). It's also taken some top guys away from the UFC, like Dan Henderson, and has a product that is probably almost as good as UFC's, at least for hardcore MMA fans. As a casual fan, I'd much rather watch a UFC event, as I know much more of the fighters. I'd imagine that's how a lot of the casual wrestling fans feel about the WWE. They know a lot more about it than TNA, so they'll watch it. The difference is that TNA is just as available as WWE, while UFC is much more in the mainstream than Strikeforce.

That was a rather disorganized post, but basically what I'm saying is that no, TNA is in no way the UFC of wrestling.

I understand what you are trying to say, but no, TNA and UFC are in know way similar. The extent of their similarities is simply that they are on the same network. Anything else done to simulate or pay homage to UFC by TNA is done BECASE they are on the same network and they want a good relationship with both Spike and UFC to possibly eventually get some of those fans.

For all intents and purposes, if we break it down to Wrestling and MMA categories, WWE would be the UFC of Wrestling, TNA would be something like Strikeforce.

If you compare what you pointed out though I don't see that many reasons to rank TNA as similar to UFC based on style/looks/feel or anything else. I don't really find TNA to be "extreme" perhaps they are more extreme because WWE is more PG now. I also don't think that the six sided ring was created with UFC in mind, so that's just a coincidence to compare there. Ken Shamrock was treated as a big deal when he was in WWE and you can bet if they could bring in someone like Forrest Griffin or a known name they'd be treated as a big deal too.

I think the big problem people are having with this thread is the title of "TNA is the UFC of Wrestling" because whether you meant it or not, people are going to imply that that means they are the top organization.

I don't see why no one understood what the OP was referring to. He is basically saying UFC is an "extreme" version of competitive sports. Very hardcore, adult oriented, and "grimy" so to speak. No flashy lights, and fancy colors, and bobble heads and toys. Just gritty competition, and people getting down to business.

He is saying TNA is like that to wrestling. It is not flashy. They don't have children orientated programming. There's no hornswaggle, or diva's dressing up in santa suits. There's no cheesy guest hosts, or Michael Cole trying to sell the lamest shit on the planet as something "cool". Its just "let's get down to business" wrestling.

I guess I can agree with him, as TNA is the most extreme mainstream form of wrestling. He is not comparing and contrasting TNA's product to the UFC's. He is using a simple analogy. TNA is to Wrestling as UFC is to Sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back