The Technology Troubleshooting Thread

Go to your online banking service if you have one, or failing that call up your bank and ask them to cancel the direct debit (or US equivalent).

Failing that e-mail Amazon and ask for there assistance on the matter.

Apparently, I can't stop them charging £50, even though I had no idea they'd turned on the benefits. On one hand, I've now got free one-day delivery for a year. On the other, I really can't afford it.

My DVD burner/player on my PC is acting weird now. If I put in a standard music CD, it seems just fine. However, I have several CDs that are, well, not self-help, but they are for my business and they are pretty much instructional CDs, not music. Those don't play at all. If I put in any kind of CD-Rom, 19 times out of 20 it won't read it or even acknowledge that there is a disk in the drive. But it will still read DVDs and burn both CDs and DVDs. I've done a full system restore twice and that doesn't seem to fix the issue. Every now and then, if I've just restarted my PC, it will read the first cd-rom I put in, but if I change the disk I'm screwed. WTF???

Excel Question
I have a massive employee database on an excel spreadsheet at work and I want to create a search engine (with a google style GUI) - does anyone know how I could possibly create and code the gui and search code on sheet one to bring up results from the result engine on sheet 2? I could just use CTRL+F but I actually want to design a nice looking search page

Do you know VBA code at all. I can give you an example to get you started, but without actually seeing your spreadsheet a lot of it will be just generic.

It sounds like you are trying to do the same thing as a Ctrl + F feature, but have it look a little neater and just return the data on the one person you are looking for.

Let's assume that sheet 2 has three columns: Name, Department, and Employee ID, in that order. We'll also, for the sake of this demonstration, assume that the sheet has information on 500 employees, with a header row on Row 1, for a total of 501 rows of data, in columns A, B, and C. Obviously, you don't need it to check Row 1, so we'll leave that out. On your sheet 1, the interface, you can format the sheet however you want, but we'll assume that you want to search by Employee ID, for the sake of this demonstration. You type the Employee ID in cell A1, then click a button you would create from the Forms Toolbar found under View -> Toolbars.

The code based off of my suppositions would look something like this (anytime you see a ' that represents comments explaining what we're doing, not part of the actual code)

Sub findit()
Sheets(1).Select
Range("a1").Select
'This tells the program where to find the info you are looking for
EID = Range("a1").Value
'This declares a variable that says I AM LOOKING FOR THIS EMPLOYEE ID
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
'This makes it so that the screen just displays your search page, without flashing a lot while the program works
For i = 2 To 501
'This declares your variable, i, to determine how many rows of data you need to search through
Sheets(2).Select
Range("c" & i).Select
'This starts the search. For each cycle of the For-Next loop, it will look in column C, at whatever Row i currently represents
If Range("c" & i).Value = EID Then
'If it found a match then...
Range("a" & i & ":c" & i).Copy
'Copy that entry and...
Sheets(1).Select
'Go back to the search page...
Range("a2").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
'Paste the info there
Exit Sub
'Oh and don't forget to stop searching
Else
End If
'If it doesn't match what we were searching for, proceed to the next step
Next i
'This says, ok, we didn't find it yet, lets try the next row

End Sub

This is a fairly basic bit of programming. I tested it and it works fine. The formatting and such is up to you. Of course, you would want to remember to change the variables and ranges to match the data you are trying to pull, the location, and the number of rows you are pulling from. If this helps at all, or you have any questions about how to implement it if you want to use something like this, feel free to PM me.

My DVD burner/player on my PC is acting weird now. If I put in a standard music CD, it seems just fine. However, I have several CDs that are, well, not self-help, but they are for my business and they are pretty much instructional CDs, not music. Those don't play at all. If I put in any kind of CD-Rom, 19 times out of 20 it won't read it or even acknowledge that there is a disk in the drive. But it will still read DVDs and burn both CDs and DVDs. I've done a full system restore twice and that doesn't seem to fix the issue. Every now and then, if I've just restarted my PC, it will read the first cd-rom I put in, but if I change the disk I'm screwed. WTF???
1) Do your instructional CDs play on other CD-Rom drives?

2) Have you tried copying the instructional CDs to a different CD and playing the burned copy on your CD-Rom drive?

3) Can you afford to buy another drive? I mean, you can buy DVD drives for $50-$80, depending on what quality you want.

1) Do your instructional CDs play on other CD-Rom drives?

2) Have you tried copying the instructional CDs to a different CD and playing the burned copy on your CD-Rom drive?

3) Can you afford to buy another drive? I mean, you can buy DVD drives for $50-$80, depending on what quality you want.

1) They play fine in any other CD or Cd-Rom drive, just not mine.

2) When I put them in my CD-Rom the drive fails to recognize that there is even a disk there, so it won't copy them

3) Lol right now no. Lost my job two weeks ago and haven't found another one yet, so I'm scrambling just to make rent.

That's about what I figured though. It's probably time for a whole new system, I've had this one for three years now...

There is a slight possibility that you have corrupt drivers. Try to update them first before you buy a new drive. You can usually find them on the manufacturers website unless it's a custom, otherwise just google the make/model of the drive and you should find them fairly quick.

I have started playing Starcraft again, and have had latency issues with alot of games I join.

My issue is though, I cannot create games online, I create them and people do not see them so cannot join them. After a bit of looking up Ive found I need to open up a port in order to allow it, but nothing on the internet is clear enough for me to understand how to do it.

If anyone can provide assistance, I appreciate it alot

Do you use a router to receive your Internet?
Yeah I do
Then you will need to sign in to your router, and open a port from there. You sign in to your router by putting your router IP in the address bar of an Internet browser.

For example, if your router is a Linksys, the IP will most likely be 192.168.1.1, as that is generally the default IP address for the router. If you want to know your router IP, go to a Command prompt (MS DOS prompt), and type in "ipconfig". It will give you a bunch of names with numbers attached. Look for the number next to "Default Gateway", and that should be your router IP.

Type that number into your address bar and hit Enter. Now, you will need to log in to your router, and how you do that depends upon how you set up the router. I can't help you with that.

Once you get into your router, you will want to look for an option to either open port or port forwarding. You should be able to open ports from there.

I'd recommend you do a Google search on some recommended ports to open before you just randomly decide what to open, as opening the wrong ports can lead to severe security risks.

Can someone tell me if there is any possible way of importing images into Photoshop CS4. I have the portable version and as such I have no help menu. Any help would be great Thank you.

Can someone tell me if there is any possible way of importing images into Photoshop CS4. I have the portable version and as such I have no help menu. Any help would be great Thank you.
I'm not sure what you mean. Can you explain further? Like, give an example of what you want to do?

All right, so, some of the words in the posts I see are blue and linked. What is this, and what free program can I use to remove them?

If you are using Firefox, go to mozilla.com and go to Add-ons at the top. Search for Adblocker Plus, download it and install it. You should see those links gone now.

How come when I download a movie or a video that's an .avi file Windows Media Player only plays the sound? I'm really not that good with that kinda shit and would like some assistance.

Or just do yourself a favour and download DivX or VLC and they play them anyway.

How come when I download a movie or a video that's an .avi file Windows Media Player only plays the sound? I'm really not that good with that kinda shit and would like some assistance.
To actually answer your question, the problem is you don't have a proper video codec, which will decode the video file for your computer.

There are many different codec packages out there. For simple .avi files, your best bet will be to download the DivX codec pack. Just do a google search for it, and it should be easy to find.

Additionally, I recommend ffdshow codec package as well. When combined with the DivX package, I've never had a video file I could not play, with the exception of .flv files. And then I just use VLC player for that.

My Xbox won't let me download M rated demos and anything else that's M. I can play M rated games, but not download the demos. I of course have Xbox Live and everything else that goes along with it, and as far as I know, the settings are all set to allow anything. I read somewhere that you have to wipe the harddrive to get it to change, but that doesn't seem right to me, anyone know a way to change the settings, or to get me to download M rated demos? Thanks!

You should check your parental settings. Make sure that you are allwong everything and then try again. If that fails, DO NOT DELETE EVERYTHING ON YOUR HARD DRIVE! Mainly because you wont be able to get it back. My to go to the website and make sure that all of your account details and profile details are all in order. If that fails and you still can't download, I suggest calling Xbox Live Customer Support and they will help you better. If that's not a good idea for you for one reason or anotheR, there is a troubleshooting section on the Xbox website.

On the wii you have the ability to play gamecube games and there are two slots for gamecube memory cards. However, I cannot figure out how to get into the memory cards on the wii like you can on the gamecube to erase or copy any files. Does anyone know if this is possible or do I need to keep my gamecube for this purpose?

On the wii you have the ability to play gamecube games and there are two slots for gamecube memory cards. However, I cannot figure out how to get into the memory cards on the wii like you can on the gamecube to erase or copy any files. Does anyone know if this is possible or do I need to keep my gamecube for this purpose?

Sure thing, on the Wii main menu in the bottom left where it has the Wii logo, click on that and you'll go into another menu that says settings on the right and data management on the left. Click data management and this will get you the option to access the Wii hard drive, the SD slot and the GC memory card. Obviously click on the GC memory card and after this it's self explanatory.

So, perhaps someone here better versed in technology can help me out here. I've just started burning DVDs on my computer (I have Vista, so I'm using the free Windows Movie Maker), and it's been met to limited success. I discovered that WMV files were the best for burning onto a DVD, because some of the AVI files I have end up only with the audio converting onto the DVD and no video. So, the first disc I burned was a movie, and it works 100% fine in my DVD player. Now, I burned another DVD later on of some wrestling footage, WMV format again, and I put it in my DVD player. The DVD works, the menu shows up perfectly (complete with the theme song to the PPV playing in the background I put on it), and I can press play, but once the actual footage starts, It goes to maybe 2 seconds in, and the picture freezes. Not the DVD, but the picture. The DVD still has the time running down as if it were playing perfectly fine, but instead I've got a frozen image of Vince McMahon's screaming face for about an hour and a half. Which makes my problem seem worse.

Am I doing something wrong? If the menus work, shouldn't the actual DVD? Are there some kind of codecs I need to download and use with the DVD maker? Any help is GREAAATLY appreciated and will be met with mucho rep. Sly, Ty, someone care to help?

So, perhaps someone here better versed in technology can help me out here. I've just started burning DVDs on my computer (I have Vista, so I'm using the free Windows Movie Maker), and it's been met to limited success. I discovered that WMV files were the best for burning onto a DVD, because some of the AVI files I have end up only with the audio converting onto the DVD and no video. So, the first disc I burned was a movie, and it works 100% fine in my DVD player. Now, I burned another DVD later on of some wrestling footage, WMV format again, and I put it in my DVD player. The DVD works, the menu shows up perfectly (complete with the theme song to the PPV playing in the background I put on it), and I can press play, but once the actual footage starts, It goes to maybe 2 seconds in, and the picture freezes. Not the DVD, but the picture. The DVD still has the time running down as if it were playing perfectly fine, but instead I've got a frozen image of Vince McMahon's screaming face for about an hour and a half. Which makes my problem seem worse.

Am I doing something wrong? If the menus work, shouldn't the actual DVD? Are there some kind of codecs I need to download and use with the DVD maker? Any help is GREAAATLY appreciated and will be met with mucho rep. Sly, Ty, someone care to help?
Do you not have Cyberlink DVD Suite? Or do you not like using Windows DVD Maker? Both of those are superior to Movie Maker.

As far as your particular problem, try burning it again and see if you get the same issue.

Do you not have Cyberlink DVD Suite? Or do you not like using Windows DVD Maker? Both of those are superior to Movie Maker.

Well whenever I use Movie Maker it just uses the Windows DVD Maker program anyways. I don't have Cyberlink DVD Suite, is it freeware? Is it any good? I actually kind of like the Movie Maker on Vista. Well, I like the DVD Maker atleast and the option to create your own menu and import music over that menu.

As far as your particular problem, try burning it again and see if you get the same issue.

Right-o, I just hope I don't waste another blank DVD, them bastards aren't cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back