The Sport that you believe deserves more recognition.

Hulk Hogan's Brother

Stop asking me what I'm gonna do!!!
This thread is to discuss about those sports that you believe deserve more recognition in terms of either television coverage, worldwide recognition, a place in the Olympics or whatever other criteria you seem fit. Just make it a point to explain that criteria. Also try to give reasons as to why you think the sport should be more recognizable and why isn't it as popular as some of the other sports.

My Answer: Squash.

Anyone who has played this game knows how awesome a game this is. This is an indoor game in which you have to hit a rubber ball against a wall in such a manner that your opponent is not able to hit it back either before it bounces twice or just plain misses the ball due to the speed at which it has been hit. Mostly at the interntional level the former takes place. The game is almost impossible to play the first time round as the rubber ball bounces a lot and it is really hard even to follow it, let alone hit it.

There are two system of scoring points in squash. One is the English system and the other is the PARS or the American system. Both systems are basically the same except in the English system you can only score points if you are on the serve while in the American system you can score points just by winning a rally irrespective of whether you are serving or not.

I think that I can go on about this wonderful game but a video will do a better job for me.

[YOUTUBE]KXMQZDnh5oM[/YOUTUBE]

As you can see, the action never stops. It requires a lot of stamina and skill to play this game.

Main reason why it is not so popular:

The main criticism against squash is that it is a difficult sport to view whether on TV or in person. The ball travels very fast making it almost impossible to follow. Also the best place to view squash is if the spectator is facing the main wall but as spectators are seated all around the four walls, they are sometimes not allowed to enjoy the sport fully.

What should be done to remedy the situation?

Basically I think that a slower, less bouncy ball needs to be used. Yes, it might take away some of the entertainment but it will make the sport more viewable and that will be better for the sport itself.

Where would I like to see Squash?

At the level where Tennis is. Basically squash is played a lot at the domestic or collegiate level but not as much at the international level. There needs to be a grand slam for squash, not just one world championship. Also the World Championship needs to draw more recognition around the world. I'd also like it to be an Olympic Sport but that is one thing that might be achieved sooner rather than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back