The Rock VS Sting

Ming

Es exspectata.
A couple of weeks ago I had a little debate with somebody over Youtube and he claimed that Sting was better than The Rock (overall, not just in the ring or on the mic), In my opinion The Rock is better but I grew up a big Rock fan so I would be biased. I just want to know everyone else's thoughts on the debate and see who is actually right in this argument.

I would like to know who is better Overall, with everything taken into consideration. All I've seen of Sting is his feud with Bret Hart and his feud with Kurt Angle in TNA, he isn't much better in the ring than The Rock in my opinion.

I apologize if this thread has been done, this is my first thread so go easy on me :)

Achievements:

Sting:

Jim Crockett Promotions / World Championship Wrestling
NWA World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
NWA World Television Championship (1 time)
WCW International World Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
WCW United States Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
WCW World Heavyweight Championship (6 times)
WCW World Tag Team Championship (3 times) – with Lex Luger (1), The Giant (1), and Kevin Nash (1)
Battlebowl Battle Royal (1991)[52]
European Cup (2000)
Iron Man Tournament (1989)
Jim Crockett, Sr. Memorial Cup (1988) – with Lex Luger
King of Cable Tournament (1992)

Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI Comeback of the Year (2006)
PWI Match of the Year(1991) with Lex Luger vs. the Steiner Brothers at SuperBrawl
PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year (1988)
PWI Most Inspirational Wrestler of the Year (1990)
PWI Most Popular Wrestler of the Year (1991, 1992, 1994, 1997)
PWI Wrestler of the Year (1990)
PWI ranked him #1 of the top 500 singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 1992
PWI ranked him #15 of the top 500 singles wrestlers of the "PWI Years" in 2003
PWI ranked him #52 of the Top 100 Tag Teams of the "PWI Years" with Lex Luger in 2003

Total Nonstop Action Wrestling
TNA World Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
TNA World Tag Team Championship (1 time)– with Kurt Angle
TNA Match of the Year (2009) vs. A.J. Styles at Bound for Glory, October 18, 2009

Universal Wrestling Federation
UWF World Tag Team Championship (3 times)– with Eddie Gilbert (2) and Rick Steiner (1)
World Wrestling All-Stars
WWA World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
Best Babyface (1992)
Match of the Year (1988) vs. Ric Flair at Clash of the Champions I
Most Charismatic (1988, 1992)
Most Improved (1988)
Worst Worked Match of the Year (1995) vs. Tony Palmore at Battle 7

The Rock:

PWI Match of the Year (1999) vs. Mankind in an "I Quit" match at Royal Rumble
PWI Match of the Year (2002) vs. Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania X8
PWI Most Popular Wrestler of the Year (1999, 2000)
PWI Wrestler of the Year (2000)
PWI ranked him #2 of the 500 best singles wrestlers of the year in the PWI 500 in 2000

United States Wrestling Association
USWA World Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with Bart Sawyer

World Wrestling Federation / World Wrestling Entertainment
WCW World Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
WWF/E Championship (7 times)2
WWF Intercontinental Championship (2 times)
WWF Tag Team Championship (5 times) – with Mankind (3), The Undertaker (1), and Chris Jericho (1)
Royal Rumble (2000)
Slammy Award for New Sensation (1997)
Sixth Triple Crown Champion

Wrestling Observer Newsletter
Best Box Office Draw (2000)
Best Gimmick (1999)
Best on Interviews (1999, 2000)
Most Charismatic (1999–2002)
Most Improved (1998)
Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame (Class of 2007)

I've never really followed TNA, so I don't know much of Sting's recent career, however, I watched a fair bit of WCW. To be honest, I think that Sting's loss of credibility at Starcade '97 was enough to tip Rock over in terms of influence and whatnot.

As for in-ring ability, Sting's style and ability seemed almost tailor-made for 80s/90s style wrestling, and as style has developed, his style has been left behind. It's simply my opinion, but I think that the Rock's more modern style makes for a more interesting match. I'm just an Attitude mark I guess.

As for the mic, again, I didn't have much to really say about Sting following his loss to Hogan at Starcade. He just couldn't win me back after that.

tl;dr: The Rock pulls away with an impressive margin in my opinion.

I have to say watching wrestling since 1988 that Sting has the edge, sure Rock was over for a period, but when he left his act was getting stale a little, plus The Rock oversold alot and recovered from big moves very quickly to go back on the attack.

On the other hand Sting has covered several periods in wrestling and always been near the top since 1988. His work with the NWO was superb and the crowd reactions mental.

I never did get why the Rock was so popular, all catch phrases and no trousers to me. Stings would rock The Rock

A couple of weeks ago I had a little debate with somebody over Youtube and he claimed that Sting was better than The Rock (overall, not just in the ring or on the mic), In my opinion The Rock is better but I grew up a big Rock fan so I would be biased. I just want to know everyone else's thoughts on the debate and see who is actually right in this argument.

I would like to know who is better Overall, with everything taken into consideration. All I've seen of Sting is his feud with Bret Hart and his feud with Kurt Angle in TNA, he isn't much better in the ring than The Rock in my opinion.

I apologize if this thread has been done, this is my first thread so go easy on me :)

Achievements:

Sting:

Jim Crockett Promotions / World Championship Wrestling
NWA World Television Championship (1 time)
WCW International World Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
WCW United States Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
WCW World Heavyweight Championship (6 times)
WCW World Tag Team Championship (3 times) – with Lex Luger (1), The Giant (1), and Kevin Nash (1)
Battlebowl Battle Royal (1991)[52]
European Cup (2000)
Iron Man Tournament (1989)
Jim Crockett, Sr. Memorial Cup (1988) – with Lex Luger
King of Cable Tournament (1992)

PWI Comeback of the Year (2006)
PWI Match of the Year(1991) with Lex Luger vs. the Steiner Brothers at SuperBrawl
PWI Most Improved Wrestler of the Year (1988)
PWI Most Inspirational Wrestler of the Year (1990)
PWI Most Popular Wrestler of the Year (1991, 1992, 1994, 1997)
PWI Wrestler of the Year (1990)
PWI ranked him #1 of the top 500 singles wrestlers in the PWI 500 in 1992
PWI ranked him #15 of the top 500 singles wrestlers of the "PWI Years" in 2003
PWI ranked him #52 of the Top 100 Tag Teams of the "PWI Years" with Lex Luger in 2003

Total Nonstop Action Wrestling
TNA World Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
TNA World Tag Team Championship (1 time)– with Kurt Angle
TNA Match of the Year (2009) vs. A.J. Styles at Bound for Glory, October 18, 2009

Universal Wrestling Federation
UWF World Tag Team Championship (3 times)– with Eddie Gilbert (2) and Rick Steiner (1)
World Wrestling All-Stars
WWA World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)

Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards
Best Babyface (1992)
Match of the Year (1988) vs. Ric Flair at Clash of the Champions I
Most Charismatic (1988, 1992)
Most Improved (1988)
Worst Worked Match of the Year (1995) vs. Tony Palmore at Battle 7

The Rock:

PWI Match of the Year (1999) vs. Mankind in an "I Quit" match at Royal Rumble
PWI Match of the Year (2002) vs. Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania X8
PWI Most Popular Wrestler of the Year (1999, 2000)
PWI Wrestler of the Year (2000)
PWI ranked him #2 of the 500 best singles wrestlers of the year in the PWI 500 in 2000

United States Wrestling Association
USWA World Tag Team Championship (2 times) – with Bart Sawyer

World Wrestling Federation / World Wrestling Entertainment
WCW World Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
WWF/E Championship (7 times)2
WWF Intercontinental Championship (2 times)
WWF Tag Team Championship (5 times) – with Mankind (3), The Undertaker (1), and Chris Jericho (1)
Royal Rumble (2000)
Slammy Award for New Sensation (1997)
Sixth Triple Crown Champion

Wrestling Observer Newsletter
Best Box Office Draw (2000)
Best Gimmick (1999)
Best on Interviews (1999, 2000)
Most Charismatic (1999–2002)
Most Improved (1998)
Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame (Class of 2007)

If you're going by overall, then I think you have your answer there by looking at the long list of accomplishments. I loved The Rock because of his catch phrases and his mic work. Before "The Rock" 3/4 of the people would say "Rocky who?".

I loved Sting before and after his "Crow" image. The fact remains is that he has been electric and always will be. Sure, he shouldn't of lost to Hogan at Starcade in '97, ultimately though, his career has been sensational; he didn't just stick around long enough for his gimmick to seem like it's golden and then completely leave. All of the little Attitude Era kiddo's need to un-insert their head out've the past's behind and see who developed and stayed throughout the different decades. 80's, 90's, 00's. Now it's 2010 and guess who's still around? Sting. He's the one that throughout everything, managed to persevere and stay strong and stayed steadfast in his opinions, and faith.

I acknowledge the fact that both are absolutely amazing. The Rock though, did amazing things for the Attitude Era ONLY. How would he manage in today's Era? Hardly. He'd be so watered down and stupid it wouldn't even be watchable. Half of the insults he used were just funny because he was "edgy". I never got over the fact that one of his finishing moves was a freaking elbow to the chest of all things. Some can say it was a signature move, but I remember many matches where he ended on it, and not just "The Rock Bottom".

Ultimately, I could continue on and on of things I love and hate about both. But in the end, it'll always come to one end result, Stinger wins it. Hands down. Anyone else that thinks otherwise, well... you're labeled fucking ******ed by default in my opinion. Just my thoughts.

Tough call because both were favorites of mine. Sting is better in the ring than The Rock. If you were to pit both of them in a match at Mania, you'd easily be able to hear the chants of "Rocky"

Sting had been an NWA staple for years, his Crow gimmick in WCW is what made me really come around to him. He has had some really good matches, granted I hardly follow TNA since the man I despise(Hogan) has stepped in and kept urinating on the already burning fire, but Sting has had some good showings in TNA.

The Rock though, he never had explosive technical matches, but he was always entertaining. Eventhough he usually oversold the impact of moves and undersold the damage. He still had the fans behind him. He was also a third generation superstar(which I like when its in their blood).

Overall though its still hard to choose, but Sting beats Rocky because unlike The Rock, Sting can have 5 star matches.

The Rock was a flash in the pan. He probably became more of a star than Sting did...but that's because they're completely different personalities.

Sting has been main eventing for well over 20 years while The Rock main evented for maybe 5 years and then packed his bags.

Overall? Sting is way better (IMO) but if you put Sting's best year up against The Rock's best year...The Rock would probably take it. The difference is Sting has been disgustingly consistent throughout his career while The Rock had a short career where he became huge and quickly faded away.

My pick: Sting

Nobody is better there both Equal, both of there achievements we're all planned/setup, they both made money for the chairman of the board which is the most important thing. so fuck all you dick lickers who like to argue about stupid shit. Fuck I hate arguing.

Nobody is better there both Equal, both of there achievements we're all planned/setup, they both made money for the chairman of the board which is the most important thing. so fuck all you dick lickers who like to argue about stupid shit. Fuck I hate arguing.

First off.

There = A place
Their = A group's possession.
They're = They are.

You lost 10 internetz.

Also, if you hate arguing so much. Then why would you even respond. There is a solution.

1) Make a noose out of sharp wire and hang it from a water pipe in your home.
2) Write a note that says "I finally did it."
3) Place it on the bed.
4) Find super glue.
5) Stand on said bed from Step 3.
6) Stick your head through the noose.
7) Place hands on both cheeks until glue has stuck them to your face.
8) Jump off.
9) ????
10) Profit.

You just successfully ripped your head clean off. :)

Nobody is better their both equal, their achievements were planned/setup. Most importantly they both made money for the chairman. I pick Nobody because I don't like either of them.

Sting is the last of the old school wrestlers.....still believable (i.e. Arn Anderson) :worship:, still will job to someone if need be (i.e. Flair) :worship: :worship: :worship:, and can at least put on a decent match. No, no more high flying, or extremely dangerous moves (none of this is to be taken from the Rock mind you), and yes, in my opion, Rock sold less than what Sting did, and really---it's probably an even match in some categories.....BUT....I don't know of the Rock competing in more than maybe a 15-20 minute match ever (if I'm wrong then I apologize)....and a match means when the bell RINGS...not the intro, etc. Sting went toe to toe with Flair---both in their prime---at the Clash of Champions I. Yes I know...unless the stipulation calls for an Iron Man match of a set time limit.....I don't recal getting over like that. Of course, those days of matches lasting more then 10 minutes--outside of PPV frame---are a thing of the past. So...bottom line....Sting over Rock.

Nobody is better their both equal, their achievements were planned/setup. Most importantly they both made money for the chairman. I pick Nobody because I don't like either of them.

ok you said that already. dont just post something 2x & not give any sort of credible reason why. saying they are equal but you pick no one b\c u dnt like them isnt a very good reason. just proves ur ignorance & the fact u want attention.

now, as far as who is better? imo sting is. the op said it best. his list of titles\histroy speaks for itself. he is the man. the icon. he has fought the best for decades. vader, hogan, luger, nash, flair, steamboat, angle, styles.... he is still going today. yea he is older but can still go & gets a huge reaction from the crowd. he has been one of the greats around for a reason.

rock was fantastic, but only for a short time in history. rocky did beat some greats, but his in ring ability was far from close to stings. the only thing he has over sting is fantastic work on the mic. far superior imo. rock would be greatly appreciated if he came back, but his character would suffer in the 'pg' era. would somehow diminish what we remember him for.

i think the better question is, 'who is better? hbk or sting?' now thats the match i always wanted to see....

there is no right answer as it's an opinion, that being said I love both these guys, both have given me a tremendous amount of entertainment... Sting has given me more, so I give him the nod simply for longevity (Rock has given it to me outside of wrestling but we're only focusing on wrestling, right?)

First off.

There = A place
Their = A group's possession.
They're = They are.

You lost 10 internetz.

Also, if you hate arguing so much. Then why would you even respond. There is a solution.

1) Make a noose out of sharp wire and hang it from a water pipe in your home.
2) Write a note that says "I finally did it."
3) Place it on the bed.
4) Find super glue.
5) Stand on said bed from Step 3.
6) Stick your head through the noose.
7) Place hands on both cheeks until glue has stuck them to your face.
8) Jump off.
9) ????
10) Profit.

You just successfully ripped your head clean off. :)

Or you could not talk shit on a thread, in a post that contributes absolutely NOTHING to the topic at all. Take that shit to the cage, you did nothing in that post except prove you are an ass. Wow. Congrats. Want a cookie?

As for the OP, I don't think there really is a way to answer this fully. The die hard WWE fans are mostly going to say Rock, and the WCW/TNA ones are going to say Sting. Same thing that always happens when you try one of the "Who's Better" threads. If you define more of what you mean by "Better" then it's easier. In ring, Sting.. Except for now. Now he's a shell of his former self. But in his prime, he was good. Promo? Rock. No one can deny that one.

Rock is the better entertainer.
Sting is the better wrestler.

Overall...I won't choose between those two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back