The Rock and our Match of the Year

NegativeFeedback

Mid-Card Championship Winner
1400621_10202809388704255_971903521_o.jpg

Well I just finished watching our Match of the Year so I can understand what all the casual fans enjoyed about it, and frankly, it was just as mediocre as I remembered it.

But that's besides the point. After the match, The Rock looked SAD. He was bummed the hell out. It seemed like he didn't want to be there. When he raised Cena's arm on the ramp, he just put a face like apologizing for what he was doing.

Now, Rock posted on Twitter that it was an HONOR to put over John Cena and that he has earned his brotherhood. But that's not how it came off on TV.

I'm guessing it's because Rock came back to feel the electricity of the crowd. To entertain and soak up the pops. He missed it. And he was being forced into a position where he was being booed out of the building for raising Cena's hand. I doubt Rocky has a problem with putting anyone over, but I think he just didn't want the fans turning on him while he did it.

But if my theory is true, I have no idea what he thought it was going to be like when he came back and put over Cena. He had a year to prepare for being booed out of the building when he raised Cena's arm.

So why do you think Rock looked bummed? Any other theories?

The match itself was as you say mediocre, but them being two of the biggest names in WWE history probably got them more votes then anything else. They also probably got a lot of votes from people that didn't watch all the nominees, so they just picked the people they knew the most.

As for after the match, I don't remember it that much. I remember Rock looking like he was hurting, and he did get injured in that match so that was understandable. If I was him I probably would've wanted to get my ass backstage asap so I can get checked out, since he looked like he was feeling like crap.

Is this even a serious post? He had is abs ripped to shit. Most people wouldn't even have been standing... So it's alil understandable that he doesnt look "happy" right there..

He just lost a match that was billed as the biggest of his career: WHY IS HE NOT HAPPY? He should be doing cartwheels, right?

People were complaining that Eva Marie was smiling after she lost a match and understandably so. He lost a match which equates to being disappointed.

The man is a Hollywood actor maybe he is selling the fact he lost and John Cena is now the superior man. He raises Cena's hand out of respect but surely he is still upset. Moreover, he was injured so that wouldn't help.

I really doubt that The Rock would be petty enough to be upset because he a) he had to put over Cena b) people were booing him. He has been around wrestling long enough to know better and he might just be the most popular wrestler of all time. People adore Rocky and I don't think there is much in this.

Considering the muscles he tore during the match there's no wonder why he didn't look enthused, not to mention he just lost the WWE title, why would any wrestler look happy that he lost the title? Why would any wrestler be happy he lost at the main event of Wrestlemania? Did Cena look happy he lost the year before even though he broke the PPV buyrate record with the man celebrating in the ring? I get its predetermined but you have to keep a semblance of reality out there or everything goes to shit in a hurry.

Realistically if a person loses the title, even when he's being a sport and honoring the guy that beat him it doesn't change the fact that he lost the title, why wouldn't he be bummed?

So a torn muscle and the fact he lost the title seem like pretty good reasons to be bummed to me.

Thought it was laughable when they had this match listed but considering the names Im not surprised. The match itself was average at best and the outcome was the most predictable of any match i had ever seen in my life. But hey it figures they had to appease Cena since D Bryan won superstar of the year. Anyways for match of the year, I would have left Undertaker and Punk, but added Jericho and Punk from Payback. Where the hell was Cena and Punk from Raw? Del Rio & Ziggler had a great match at Payback too. Not to mention all of the Raw matches with Daniel Bryan against Rollins, Cesaro, etc. i would even included the SmackDown MITB. Just dont get why Triple H and Brock 3 was on there when the first two matches were average. That match was a horrible choice. But hey leave it to WWE to not get the best match right

Real Top Matches-
Undertaker vs CM Punk (WM 29)
CM Punk vs Chris Jericho (Payback)
Daniel Bryan vs Seth Rollins (Raw)
CM Punk vs John Cena (Raw)
Alberto Del Rio vs Christian (SummerSlam)
Brock Lesnar vs CM Punk (SummerSlam)
Daniel Bryan vs Randy Orton (Raw Street Fight)
Goldust & Cody Rhodes vs Shield (Battleground & Raw for the titles)
Shield & Real Americans vs Rey Mysterio, Rhodes Brothers & Usos
Cesaro vs Kofi (Main Event)

I thought the Rock looked properly humble in defeat, chagrined by the notion he had just lost a match to a man whom he had been disrespecting so completely in the promos leading to the contest. Yet, the same time, he seemed properly impressed that Cena took his best and beat him, anyway. In other words, it was show business, all the way.

After all, the Rock's participation in wrestling was a 2-year plan, with the details of WM29 having been worked out before WM28. ("Rock, you'll beat Cena this year and he'll take the victory next year. Yeah baby, love the concept!")

Having known a year before that he was going to lose, I truly doubt Rock was "bummed out" or sad. If anything, the pain from the torn muscles might have more to do with his sadness.

NOTE: This match was an event; a genuine event.....and that may be why it was called the match of the year. As far as what I saw as the best contest, nothing could touch Cena-Punk, but that was shown on Raw, and the best match nominees were all PPV affairs.

Thought it was laughable when they had this match listed but considering the names Im not surprised. The match itself was average at best and the outcome was the most predictable of any match i had ever seen in my life. But hey it figures they had to appease Cena since D Bryan won superstar of the year. Anyways for match of the year, I would have left Undertaker and Punk, but added Jericho and Punk from Payback. Where the hell was Cena and Punk from Raw? Del Rio & Ziggler had a great match at Payback too. Not to mention all of the Raw matches with Daniel Bryan against Rollins, Cesaro, etc. i would even included the SmackDown MITB. Just dont get why Triple H and Brock 3 was on there when the first two matches were average. That match was a horrible choice. But hey leave it to WWE to not get the best match right

Real Top Matches-
Undertaker vs CM Punk (WM 29)
CM Punk vs Chris Jericho (Payback)
Daniel Bryan vs Seth Rollins (Raw)
CM Punk vs John Cena (Raw)
Alberto Del Rio vs Christian (SummerSlam)
Brock Lesnar vs CM Punk (SummerSlam)
Daniel Bryan vs Randy Orton (Raw Street Fight)
Goldust & Cody Rhodes vs Shield (Battleground & Raw for the titles)
Shield & Real Americans vs Rey Mysterio, Rhodes Brothers & Usos
Cesaro vs Kofi (Main Event)

I think a lot of people have been under-appreciating the stellar work The Shield has been doing for the past year. They've had multiple 4+-star matches and no one is listing them in their top matches.

I actually made a list for a blog that I'll copy/paste here. I literally named 50 matches between Raws and PPVs that were all better than Rock/Cena and Lesnar/Triple H. You'll see a bunch of SHIELD matches there.

1. #1 Contender for WWE Championship: John Cena vs. CM Punk (Raw 2/25)
2. The Undertaker vs. CM Punk (Wrestlemania 29)
3. CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho (Payback)
4. No Disqualifications: CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar (SummerSlam)
5. Tables, Ladders and Chairs match: Kane, Daniel Bryan and Ryback vs. Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns (TLC)
6. Daniel Bryan vs. Antonio Cesaro (Raw 7/22)
7. Chris Jericho, Sheamus and Ryback vs. Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns (Raw 2/18)
8. World Heavyweight Championship: Christian vs. Alberto Del Rio (SummerSlam)
9. WWE Money in the Bank Ladder match: Randy Orton vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Rob Van Dam vs. Sheamus vs. Christian vs. CM Punk (Money in the Bank)
10. Daniel Bryan vs. Seth Rollins (Raw 6/10)

11. WWE Championship: Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena (SummerSlam)
12. The Undertaker, Kane and Daniel Bryan vs. Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns (Raw 4/22)
13. Money in the Bank Ladder match: John Cena vs. Dolph Ziggler (TLC)
14. Daniel Bryan, Kane and Kofi Kingston vs. Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns (Raw 5/20)
15. Chris Jericho vs. CM Punk (Raw 2/04)
16. WHC Money in the Bank Ladder match: Damien Sandow vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Jack Swagger vs. Antonio Cesaro vs. Wade Barrett vs. Fandango vs. Dean Ambrose (Money in the Bank)
17. WWE Tag Team Championship: Cody Rhodes and Goldust vs. Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns (Raw 10/14)
18. #1 Contender's Elimination Chamber: Randy Orton vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Kane vs. Chris Jericho vs. Mark Henry vs. Jack Swagger
19. Steel Cage match: John Cena vs. Dolph Ziggler (Raw 1/14)
20. Street Fight: Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton (Raw 6/24)

21. CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Goldust and The Usos vs. Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, Roman Reigns, Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper and Erick Rowan (Raw 11/18)
22. WWE Tag Team Championship: Cody Rhodes and Goldust vs. Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns (Battleground)
23. John Cena, Sheamus and Ryback vs. Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns (Elimination Chamber)
24. Daniel Bryan vs. Roman Reigns (Raw 9/16)
25. WWE Tag Team Championship: Cody Rhodes and Goldust vs. The Usos vs. Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns (Survivor Series)
26. John Cena, Goldust and Cody Rhodes vs. Damien Sandow, Jack Swagger and Antonio Cesaro (Raw 11/04)
27. Daniel Bryan, Kane and Randy Orton vs. Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns at (Raw 6/03)
28. Cody Rhodes vs. Randy Orton (Raw 9/02)
29. Daniel Bryan vs. Chris Jericho (Raw 2/11)
30. Daniel Bryan vs. Dean Ambrose (Raw 10/21)

31. Royal Rumble match won by John Cena (Royal Rumble)
32. Christian vs. Randy Orton (Raw 08/26)
33. Daniel Bryan vs. Seth Rollins (Raw 8/26)
34. WWE Championship: John Cena vs. Damien Sandow (Raw 10/28)
35. Chris Jericho vs. Rob Van Dam (Raw 7/15)
36. Extreme Rules: Randy Orton vs. The Big Show (Extreme Rules)
37. WWE Tag Team Championship: Kane and Daniel Bryan vs. Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns (Raw 5/27)
38. Chris Jericho vs. Dolph Ziggler (Raw 4/22)
39. Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus (Raw 7/8)
40. John Cena vs. Dolph Ziggler (Raw 1/07)

41. WWE Championship TLC match: Ryback vs. CM Punk (Raw 1/07)
42. Randy Orton vs. Cody Rhodes (Raw 4/29)
43. CM Punk vs. Randy Orton (Raw 7/08)
44. WWE Championship: The Rock vs. CM Punk (Royal Rumble)
45. WWE Tag Team Championship: The Usos vs. Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns (Money in the Bank)
46. World Heavyweight Championship: Dolph Ziggler vs. Alberto Del Rio (Money in the Bank)
47. WWE Intercontinental Championship: Chris Jericho vs. The Miz vs. Wade Barrett (Raw 3/18)
48. Randy Orton vs. Jack Swagger (Raw 5/20)
49. WWE Championship: Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton (Night of Champions)
50. Daniel Bryan vs. Ryback (Raw 6/03)

I've been a writer for a while, and at a certain point of writing a lengthy saga that constantly recycles it's own waste, you just go by the numbers and focus mainly on the money you make off of people who are too stupid to know the difference between A material and recycled waste. We've all been there, writers that is, and we just hope like hell that we rediscover our mojo by accident at a certain point.

Wrestlemania has to be special. You can't rely on spontaneous situations like the fans unwavering support for Daniel Bryan or the Edge/Lita/Matt Hardy tryst, you're expected to force a knee jerk spectacle that makes almost no sense and is only big for being completely artificial in its potential.

John Cena booked as being put over by The Rock was something that couldn't not happen. Even though the WWE knew that the fans weren't about to cheer for Cena over The Rock, even after being shamefully put over by The Rock, they still had to do it to maintain the continuity of the show. Or rather, to feed the beast that is Cena's ego and pretend that they haven't created the worst monster since Mantaur.

John Cena lost to The Rock at the Wrestlemania before-hand. That's all the justification that John Cena needs to defeat The Rock at the next Wrestlemania. The match happened, it had a sloppy back and forth finish that made me seriously consider researching my carrier's refund policy and it was done. Even though that match was garbage, it happened and the WWE's only method of damage control in regard to it is to grant it an accolade like a Slammy Award for best match.

Notice how there was not a single Daniel Bryan match nominated for that award.

Notice how there was not a single Daniel Bryan match nominated for that award.

I think WWE did some specific rules when it came to selecting nominees.
  1. Only PPV matches
  2. No double nominees

They probably ignored the Raw matches because they don't want to advertise that the matches they give away for free are better than the ones on PPV. Watch the show for the hype and pay for the great matches. With the added third hour, it's not like that anymore. Raw has been putting on some great matches thanks to Bryan, Punk, and co. But with this rule, I'm guessing they didn't even consider Punk/Cena, Bryan/Seth, Bryan/Cesaro, or the multitude of Shield matches on Raw. Case in point, Goldust and Cody won the tag titles on Raw, but were nominated for the inferior rematch on PPV.

And it can't be a coincidence that there were no double nominations anywhere this year. A lot of award shows do this already. It's best to have variety and not look like the award show is biased from the get-go.

I'm guessing they just threw Cena/Rock on the board, which immediately disqualified his much better matches with Ziggler, Shield and Bryan.

Then they put Punk/Undertaker up there, which disqualified Punk's matches with Jericho, Lesnar and Rock. And that left Triple H to stroke his ego by putting his match with Lesnar up there.

Now, the big mystery is how they ended up with a 3-star match like Rhodes/Shield over a bunch of 4-star classics like Shield vs. Kane, Bryan and Ryback, Christian vs. Del Rio and the Money in the Bank matches. I'm assuming the nomination was a tribute to the tag match that preceeded it which was far superior.

Bryan got the shaft big time, but a lot of his classics were on TV, and his great match with Cena was DQ'ed when Rock/Cena was put up there. He still could have gotten his match with Shield in, but for some reason, WWE didn't choose it. Maybe because it was in 2012? If it was that, they were being silly. What better way to pump the crowd for TLC by awarding Match of the Year to a TLC match?

wrestling is a work, i doubt someone as successful as rock cares about whether he wins or loses a wrestling match. it's called selling, something todays guys know little about

1400621_10202809388704255_971903521_o.jpg

Well I just finished watching our Match of the Year so I can understand what all the casual fans enjoyed about it, and frankly, it was just as mediocre as I remembered it.

But that's besides the point. After the match, The Rock looked SAD. He was bummed the hell out. It seemed like he didn't want to be there. When he raised Cena's arm on the ramp, he just put a face like apologizing for what he was doing.

Now, Rock posted on Twitter that it was an HONOR to put over John Cena and that he has earned his brotherhood. But that's not how it came off on TV.

I'm guessing it's because Rock came back to feel the electricity of the crowd. To entertain and soak up the pops. He missed it. And he was being forced into a position where he was being booed out of the building for raising Cena's hand. I doubt Rocky has a problem with putting anyone over, but I think he just didn't want the fans turning on him while he did it.

But if my theory is true, I have no idea what he thought it was going to be like when he came back and put over Cena. He had a year to prepare for being booed out of the building when he raised Cena's arm.

So why do you think Rock looked bummed? Any other theories?

As others have said, The Rock basically tore his ribs off the bones during the match, would you look happy with that kind of injury?

As for the match, personally I don't find it to be AMAZING, but it's certainly not terrible. I've seen MANY worse matches involving either of those guys, and plenty of worse matches have headlined WrestleMania.

So is everyone believing it was legitimate injury now? I remember some fans questioning it when he missed Raw? I thought it was credit to him for finishing the match with that injury. I know he wasn't gonna stop and leave or anything but I bet he was concerned with the movies he had coming up.

As for the match, it wasn't match of the year I think we all know that but I don't it was a bad as some people make out in my opinion. I think Rock himself actually performed quite well in it too. I know his cardio wasn't gonna be fantastic but I think he did well in that match.

Be pretty disappointed as a Rock fan if he goes out like that personally. I'll be even more disappointed if when he returns he gets booed. Be a bit harsh I think. Although if he does get booed maybe they could down the Hollywood Rock route again, that was awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back