The ressurection of the WWE Lightweight Division

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it could work, but I severely doubt the WWE will go for it.

While alot of the smaller wrestlers could probably compete for the IC or US titles, I have always felt that those titles are a stepping stone to competing for the World Heavyweight titles. A good, long run with a secondary title like the IC or US title can really benefit a wrestler and help to prepare them for a step up to the main event.

Guys like The Rock, Triple H, Bret Hart, Edge, Angle, Benoit, Y2J, Orton and so many others have been IC champion and gone on to be World Champion, already having the credibilty of holding a prestigious title in the WWE. If a cruiserweight like Evan Bourne, Amazing Red, Chris Sabin (I know they arent in WWE but just bear with me) etc held the IC title, the possiblity of them moving up to compete for the World Title is remote. That belt is likely the highest they can go within the WWE.

For this reason I do not see why the Cruiserweight title could not return as a prestigious title in the WWE. If Vince wanted to, he could sign up the best lightweight wrestlers in the world and put together the best Cruiserweight division in the world, bringing in masked luchadors and other high flyers from all over the world, outdoing anything TNA have ever done with their X-Division.

And you cannot tell me the young fans (WWE's TARGET AUDIENCE) would not like it...they would eat that shit up! See the reaction Bourne, Rey and Sin Cara get when they pull off a stunning move. With a good Cruiserweight division, this could be seen every night. The fans would care about it, and with the right promotion it would work.

Smackdown could be the home of the Cruiserweights, with the Divas exclusive to Raw. I am a fan of Cruiserweight wrestling, and I think its a shame that such talented athletes do not have a World Title of their own, in their weight division. Sin Cara could compete for the World Title one day, if he is pushed right, but why not allow him to dominate the Cruiserweight division and help to rebuild the prestige of the belt.

I would definitely like to see it back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back