• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE Lucha/Masked Division?

mikde_

I'm from Winnepeg you idiot!
Right so i have noticed many people want to see the return of The Cruiserweight Championship...i am not one of those guys. All though great at the time i really think WWE need to do new things to really turn the corner.

So i thought why not have a Lucha/Masked division? They could hire some of the guys from chikara and get some mexican luchas in and that could be their crazy fast paced comedy (chikara guys are hella funny) section of the show and i guess it could be their own little X-Division.

Sure its not a amazingly original idea but Lucha wrestling is starting to gain a bit of interest and starting to boom a little in the global wrestling world so aslong as they stay focused on it and dont dillute it then i think it would be hugely entertaining and popular.

What do you guys think?

What's wrong with it just being a Cruiserweight division? It's pretty much the same EXACT thing, except more specific. The more specific it is means that there's less talent to pool from which would mean a waste of the talent they already have...unless they for some reason start wearing a mask. Just bring back the Cruiserweights and it'll be good.

Also, don't have Hornswoggle involved unless its a real quick thing where he complains about still being champ and gets his shit kicked. That's all from him

I agree with the poster above just bring back the cruiserweights. There simply isn't enough space for WWE to hire enough luchadors to give them their own division. Also there is plenty of talent that could make up a cruiserweight division although it may be difficult to have one now that WWE is announcing weights at 210 lbs minimum. Isn't cruiserwieght like a 220 max or something close to that?

Also just gonna say this you are gonna get mobbed by cracks about Sin Caras for every color of the rainbow. Just sayin.

2 things:
A: I think rather than just a division why not bring back a whole separate show??
Los Super Astros was a spanish only show televised on Univision. It was announced in Spanish, had mostly the cruiser weights but also had some heavy weights like Savio Vega.
Essa Rios, Vega, Julio Sanchez, Pantera, Giant Silva, Apolo Dantes, Super Crazy and others.
Taka and Funaki, Scotty 2 Hotty and a couple of other main roster guys also showed.

B: WWE has been looking at bringing back the cruiserweights and has even signed some lucha libre stars that have not yet debuted.

I actually love that idea, get a title belt and everything. I have no desire to see the cruiserweight division back because of the fact that WWE will just push all the wrong guys anyway and most of the matches will suck or be ended crappy. If they have a lucha division they will have no choice but to have good matches, their are mostly no crappy wrestlers in mexico, they don't allow the same crap vince does

so then why not just give them (the show) superstars, and bring bag the cruiser title. like theirs bourne, jomo, sin cara, mysterio, primo(i think?), and like another poster wrote they are signeing luchadors that havent even debuted......

there should be a superstars title. limiting it to cruiserweights is not the best idea. i find the best match ups tend to be when people of different styles or sizes fight.

the problem would be that title would change hands a lot as people get pushes or when they move to raw/smackdown story they would just vacate the title. i think employing a college football like ranking system would help where the toped ranked guys get a chance to fight on raw/smackdown.

You're against a cruiserweight division, but you want a lucha division? From one side show to the other, eh? There's no need for it, at all. They can very easily insert lucha-style guys into their main product. The strict division would only sap the interest and make it look pointless.

There's no need to have a separate division for these guys. This isn't the Attitude Era where you can have a bunch of pointless titles and just insert guys into the picture -- No, because there's no reason for it. Why can't a lucha/masked guy compete with everybody else? Why does he need his own division? Rey Mysterio has done a great job, becoming a top star, multiple time World Champion, etc. Would you rather have had the WWE limit him and not allow him to grow to his full potential as a performer?

Another thing: Not all Mexican wrestling is "fast paced." Sure, a lot of it is geared towards more agile cruiserweights, but they have heavyweights as well. The style can encapsulate quite a bit. Plus, as was seen by the Sin Cara vs Hunico match at Hell in a Cell, it doesn't seem to be interesting to a large part of the WWE audience. Sure, the match was no clinic, but even so, the style is not something that would easily translate over to a large majority of the WWE audience.

After looking at the FCW roster there is only one other guy wearing a mask is some guy called Epico. As I'd never heard of him I did some research it turns out that he's Tito Colon under a mask.

I'd much rather have the cruiserweight title back as it was but not as a lucha title. I watched some old cruiserweight matches recently and they were really good. However I've heard that Vince wants to use people's really weight unless they're under 200lbs. Which suggests he doesn't want to bill people as too small. This makes me think it won't comeback.

the reason i thought it would be a good idea is mainly because its something a little different.

Plus i was watching some chikara and thought this kinda thing would fit in really well with the PG era and the kids would get a huge kick out of some of the crazy characters.

For me the cruiserweight title just sounds lower league. It's basically saying that these guys are not big enough to compete for heavyweight titles so they can have their own.
A lucha division would be similar but it would have no weight limits unlike the cruiserweight title. Sure it wouldnt be a huge focus of the show but it will be a nice little break between the american style matches and something that could warm the crowd up.

I also like the idea of WWE having their own show for them. Let's face it, it will be a nice little niche and something a little out of the ordinary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back