The Reason behind WWE's Ratings Crisis

bk555

Olympic Gold Medalist
As you all know, WWE has seen a substantial drop in their ratings over the past few months. People think this is because the roster isn't deep, the storylines are poor and things like that. However, these answers are much to straightforward and cannot solely account for such a poor rating.

The Reason behind the WWE's ratings fiasco is the lack of focus on the WWE title. Don't believe me? Check this out.

It has been over 6 months since the WWE title match has main evented a PPV. That PPV was TLC which did well in PPV buys. Since then we have had the Royal Rumble, the Elimination Chamber with Kane and John Cena, Wrestlemania with the Rock and John Cena, Extreme Rules with John Cena and Brock Lesnar, and finally the biggest flop, Over The Limit with John Cena and John Laurinitis.

I understand why WWE feels it necessary to main event some non-title feuds at times, but they have become so into this concept that they have failed to recognize that fans pay to see Championship matches. They just have that natural appeal. And so, if the WWE champion CM Punk is not focused on at all, they will eventually get bored by the non-title John Cena matches and eventually get bored.

The Ratings problems can be solved if the WWE title is moved to the top of the priorities list as usual. Besides, John Cena vs The Big Show is not a very marketable match, so No Way Out would be a good place to start.

Or another solution would be to just give Cena the belt since he is in the main event already at every pay per view.

Oy vey, another thread of griping about how AWFUL it is that a match goes on second-to-last instead of last. How it just RUINS the value of the title.

Honest question: Why?

Why is it SO damaging that the WWE title match isn't the last match of the night? Does that mean it's not important? Does that mean it's not a selling point of the PPV? Does that mean people don't watch it? Don't remember it?

There are three important spots on a PPV card. 'Act One' Main Event, Pre-Main Event, and Main Event. At Wrestlemania, this was HHH/Taker, Punk/Jericho, and Cena/Rock. Those three matches are your selling points for a PPV. They're not necessarily equal, but they're all meaningful and all very important to the event.

The WWE Title match is defended at every PPV and always in one of these spots. That means it's relevant and important even if it's not actually the last match of the night.

Of the five PPV's you mention, one is the Royal Rumble, which never ends with a title match. Two are Rock's return match and Brock Lesnar's return match. Are you really not going to put those on last? I mean, it doesn't matter how much you do to elevate the WWE Title, it's not going to be as big a deal as the freaking Rock returning to the ring. With Over the Limit, it hinged on a (supposedly, anyway) shocking twist moment. You really don't have any choice but to put a cliffhanger on last. So that's 4 of 5 with an explanation, and 3 of 5 where putting the non-title match on last was CLEARLY the right call.

More importantly, it just doesn't matter that much. We're just talking about which match goes second-to-last instead of last. How much does that really make a difference?

or it could just be the NBA Playoffs, Hatfields & McCoys, summertime so more people go out at night (especially preteens and teens since theyre out of school), May Sweeps on all the TV networks, etc. etc.........

But sure you could go with your opinion......i guess

That's a reasonable conclusion, honestly. I think that the problem is that though we, as fans, somewhat desensitized them from holding back guys like Punk, Bryan, Ryder, Kofi, Truth, etc. They just don't trust anyone enough to keep Cena out of the main event. And that is pretty retarted, because as you said, TLC did the best out of all the PPV's within a 6 month radius (barring WM and Extreme Rules, which had Rock and Lesnar to beef it up), and Cena didn't main event it. Hell, he wasn't even on the show if I remember correctly.

And ask yourself: when was the last time Punk, the WWE champion, closed RAW? He always either starts the show or starts off the 2nd hour. Why? They still aren't ready to trust him over Cena. Sure, they gave him the title, a memorable reign and the '13 cover, but he never has the spotlight. I think it could be the way he came up: he kinda got over by basically saying "Screw this company," and can't imagine the higher ups appreciating that. This resentment over having stars they didn't make/stars they didn't want or expect to get that over has held back a lot of people, like Punk, Ryder, Kofi, Kaval, etc. These are the stars that people love to see, and when you ignore us and stick to Cena too much, you lose ratings.

You can also factor in Holidays, Summer, NBA finals, etc. but if you have a great product, people will make small sacrifices to see it, imo.

for me, it's because the chances of a major title change doesn't happen on tv anymore. on raw and smackdown of old, there was always a chance that the title would change hands at a moments notice.

no more. i don't even remember the last time the title changed hands on one of the tv shows.

well I pretty much agree with what other people are saying, and and I remember a while back I made a thread asking about what wwe superstars had the longest run on top, and it came out that austin only had like 2 or 3 years and rock only had a few too and cena has had 5+. And yes I know the whole hating Cena has been done to death from everybody, and I dont really mind him. But I just think people want some more variety in the MAIN EVENT scene and not in the under card scene.

So yeah maybe if people saw that the last match of the night advertised somebody else other than Cena that'll spark some interest.I mean im sure if people kept just seeing Austin or Rock in the same Main event scene for 5+ years straight with no character change people would've gotten tired of them too. The thing is they did have other wrestlers to take up the main event some times and mix it up cause you had foley and HHH and taker and angle. And also over the time both Austin and Rock did change up their characters and went from faces to heels and vice versa

I think some people have brought up good points. CM Punk being at the 10 o'clock slot instead of the end where he should be is one of them. Cruiserweights would help as well. And Brock Lesnar is my answer to everything. If a woman ever decides to defy social norms and propose to me, I am going to answer with "Brock Lesnar."

Changing around where the title is defended won't make any difference in TV ratings or PPV buyrates....at all.

People watch when there's a reason to watch. Good stories, characters they care about, something unexpected, excitement, pulling back on the extremely annoying characters as excuses for top heels...you know, stuff WWE hasn't done or put much effort into for a few years...that's what will change ratings. Nothing else.

or it could just be the NBA Playoffs, Hatfields & McCoys, summertime so more people go out at night (especially preteens and teens since theyre out of school), May Sweeps on all the TV networks, etc. etc.........

But sure you could go with your opinion......i guess

Worst, most tired excuse ever. Why wouldn't the NBA Playoffs or Hatfields & McCoys be worried about their ratings because they're going up against Raw? That's how it used to be.

The most interesting and exciting television wins. There's ALWAYS something on TV now. Man if I was responsible for helping explain to company executives why Raw ratings were down and I complained about how we were going up against other programs, I'd expect to be fired on the spot.

Here's an idea...tell us what you're going to do about getting our product back into the minds of these TV viewers first and foremost for next time with solid, original plan instead of whining and placing blame on something else.

I have to agree with TC. Regardless of what anyone says, the WWE Title is the biggest prize of them all, and it's supposed to be represented as such. Back in the day, the title matches were always the main event, and titles changing hands was considered a big deal.

The problem is rooted with the fact that there are 2 main championship belts, the WWE Title, and the World Heavyweight Championship. I understand that the WHC is supposed to be the "Smackdown" main belt...I get that; the problem is that the very fact that the WWE has 2 different belts that are the championship belts has already devalued the very point of being champion.

Look at Daniel Bryan for example. He was WHC, lost the belt to Shamus, lost his rematch to Shamus, and then decides to go after the other one, hoping for better luck. It's like "Well if I can't win one of them I can always win the other."

Another problem is how ridiculous the WWE Title has become. It looks like a toy. It says "Champ" on it instead of "Champion". Really its almost an embarrassment when you compare it to past WWE Title versions. Again, I understand that back when John Cena was a much bigger deal than he is now (and I know he's still a big deal, I mean when most of the crowds were still behind him) and he was still doing his "thuganomics" character, that the changing of the belt was done as a "play off of his character"...but that was like, what, 10 years ago now? Almost?

The point is, the WWE Championships have become a complete joke, especially the WHC...that's why its used as the opening match at some PPV's now, because it doesn't matter, its a throwaway match.

Is Big Show VS John Cena bigger than the WWE Title match at No Way Out? Not a chance.

Will it still be the main event of the night? You bet it will be.

Very good thread, and a lot of good points why the ratings are low. Several factors happening..

Outside Factors:

Summer time= More BBQ's and less TV watching. The sun is out, so less television watching. More outside activities. Bound to happen during this time of the year.

Poor, Poor, Booking

Danial Bryan and CM Punk are having amazing matches. Good compelling story-lines. Too bad WWE management gave Danial Bryan and Sheamus a 15 second match at WM. Why would you care about someone who had a 15 second match?

You have the Big Show telling people why he turned heel. You don't need that guy to talk. You don't need his music. You just need him to destroy a face in a squash match. Give two or three choke-slams, and have his opponent leave on a stretcher. That's it. No run in on matches. No beating up people in the backstage. Just destroying people in the ring. Instead of that, he is walking around in a suit, telling people he has this guaranteed contract.

Logical Reasoning

This could go under booking, or creative. You have Brock Lesnar lose to Cena. Then have Cena lose to Johnny Ace. You have HHH make a couple of appearances, while Johnny Ace is being a corrupt General Manager. Wouldn't it make sense to have HHH once a month come out, and make People Power Johnny get in a squash match, or over-ride a decision or two?

Hell, you just had this great feud with Jericho and CM Punk. You have it end just after two matches? Jericho brought Punk's family, beat him with whiskey bottles, and attack him for months. Then you turn around and throw that guy in a fatal four way match for another title? It would of made sense for him to win the title at Extreme Rules, and tell people he is going splits for awhile. Make that title worth something. You just can't end a good feud like that. Have CM Punk tell the crowd he is going to search for Jericho, he is going to get his re-match.

The Failure of The WWE Network

You really think I want to watch reality TV with old professional wrestlers? Reach out to the other wrestling organizations and some of the semi-pro MMA companies. Fill in the time slots with "Sports Entertainment". Not gibberish that I'm not going to watch. Granted this isn't a reason for low ratings, but then again it hurt the company.

Take the training Wheels off

Only a couple of guys in the company make their promos sound like something they mean. Many of the other guys sound like a robot with facial expressions. Treat the business like a trade. Realize a good performer who can do things on their own will bring in more business then a robot spewing out lines. Give me somebody I want to boo or cheer for.

Too Many Titles

Two world titles and both talents are on the same show? This could go under logical reasoning or poor booking. But, take these extra titles and put them on FCW. Yea, that's right. US Title and WHC on FCW. You can call me whatever you want after that. But,you have five titles, and only 4 hours of television. No one is defending the titles, and they have very little meaning.

Too Many Pay-Per-Views

Find your bottom four pay-per-views, and trash them. Spend more time promoting the card. Develop good feuds for the mid-card.

Use The Basics

A good heel stable. A good mid-card face. A good mid-card heel. A sinister manger. A promo on why someone wants to fight. A couple of surprises. A sinister manger could of helped the Lord Tensai Gimmick. You can call me silly for saying that. But you if had the right manager, people would of hated and feared Tensai.

Conclusion

Live sex shows make the Divas Division worth while. Hey-O!

Very good thread, and a lot of good points why the ratings are low. Several factors happening..

Outside Factors:

Summer time= More BBQ's and less TV watching. The sun is out, so less television watching. More outside activities. Bound to happen during this time of the year.

Poor, Poor, Booking

Danial Bryan and CM Punk are having amazing matches. Good compelling story-lines. Too bad WWE management gave Danial Bryan and Sheamus a 15 second match at WM. Why would you care about someone who had a 15 second match?

You have the Big Show telling people why he turned heel. You don't need that guy to talk. You don't need his music. You just need him to destroy a face in a squash match. Give two or three choke-slams, and have his opponent leave on a stretcher. That's it. No run in on matches. No beating up people in the backstage. Just destroying people in the ring. Instead of that, he is walking around in a suit, telling people he has this guaranteed contract.

Logical Reasoning

This could go under booking, or creative. You have Brock Lesnar lose to Cena. Then have Cena lose to Johnny Ace. You have HHH make a couple of appearances, while Johnny Ace is being a corrupt General Manager. Wouldn't it make sense to have HHH once a month come out, and make People Power Johnny get in a squash match, or over-ride a decision or two?

Hell, you just had this great feud with Jericho and CM Punk. You have it end just after two matches? Jericho brought Punk's family, beat him with whiskey bottles, and attack him for months. Then you turn around and throw that guy in a fatal four way match for another title? It would of made sense for him to win the title at Extreme Rules, and tell people he is going splits for awhile. Make that title worth something. You just can't end a good feud like that. Have CM Punk tell the crowd he is going to search for Jericho, he is going to get his re-match.

You really think I want to watch reality TV with old professional wrestlers? Reach out to the other wrestling organizations and some of the semi-pro MMA companies. Fill in the time slots with "Sports Entertainment". Not gibberish that I'm not going to watch. Granted this isn't a reason for low ratings, but then again it hurt the company.

Only a couple of guys in the company make their promos sound like something they mean. Many of the other guys sound like a robot with facial expressions. Treat the business like a trade. Realize a good performer who can do things on their own will bring in more business then a robot spewing out lines. Give me somebody I want to boo or cheer for.

Too Many Titles

Two world titles and both talents are on the same show? This could go under logical reasoning or poor booking. But, take these extra titles and put them on FCW. Yea, that's right. US Title and WHC on FCW. You can call me whatever you want after that. But,you have five titles, and only 4 hours of television. No one is defending the titles, and they have very little meaning.

Too Many Pay-Per-Views

Find your bottom four pay-per-views, and trash them. Spend more time promoting the card. Develop good feuds for the mid-card.

Use The Basics

A good heel stable. A good mid-card face. A good mid-card heel. A sinister manger. A promo on why someone wants to fight. A couple of surprises. A sinister manger could of helped the Lord Tensai Gimmick. You can call me silly for saying that. But you if had the right manager, people would of hated and feared Tensai.

Conclusion

Damn. Very nice totally agree. Now let me add my 2 cents.

Way too many generic heels and faces. You've got heel A and heel B teaming up against face A and face B. It's redundant and old. People can watch Raw from week to week and not miss a thing. That's a big problem. Another one is that there's basically no tag team division to speak of and the mid card division is small and irrelevant with the exception of rhodes and ziggler.

Wait, is the OP really arguing that ratings are going down because CM Punk isn't main eventing? Has it ever occured to you that CM Punk isn't main eventing as champion because he isn't drawing? The WWE made the right decision in every case you mentioned. If anything, taking the belt off of Punk might help. As for another guy's question, is Big Show vs Cena bigger than the WWE title match? Of course it is.

Wait, is the OP really arguing that ratings are going down because CM Punk isn't main eventing? Has it ever occured to you that CM Punk isn't main eventing as champion because he isn't drawing? The WWE made the right decision in every case you mentioned. If anything, taking the belt off of Punk might help. As for another guy's question, is Big Show vs Cena bigger than the WWE title match? Of course it is.

See I got to disagree with you there. He is still selling merchandise and gets good pops when he comes out. In addition. The Big Show isn't nearly as big as a draw as Punk now.

Now yes, taking the belt off of Punk might be a good idea. But the thing is... How is the belt coming off of him. If Jericho smashed his head with a bottle of whiskey to win the belt. Then, you would have the belt come off of him in a very good way. Now, if you pull that lame Money In The Bank crap where someone comes in after the match to win, then it might De-value CM Punk's reign.

Oh yea, the WWE did that last year. Tried to make Triple H look good again.

But, no. Punk is a good draw. I think Punk and Lesnar could put on a good three or four Pay-Per-View matches. Hell, make sure Heyman books that.

As for another guy's question, is Big Show vs Cena bigger than the WWE title match? Of course it is.

Please explain how John Cena VS Big Show, a match that has absolutely no value at all is more important that a match for the WWE title? And I'm not talking about from the standpoint of WWE and how they view the championship. I'm talking about the reality of a singles match with no real value at all taking priority over the main WWE championship match.

John Cena VS Big Show should be second to last at best on this card.

Sure it might be about when certain wrestlers are on screen, and it might be about what matches are the main event, but one thing that never really gets looked at is the fact that WWE markets to kids these days and tries to be a family friendly program, but they never seemed to consider the fact that when you aim your product at children and it's on til 11pm on a school night, ratings will naturally drop the later it gets.

My nephew watches, but goes to bed at 10, which I assume is the case for a lot of kids watching. Not many families are gonna let the youngsters stay up until 11pm on a weeknight to watch wrestling, especially in the days of DVR. WWE wants to cater to the kids, well what happens when those kids head to bed and turn off the last hour of the show? Ratings plummet after those TVs go off for the night.

I'd say the reason behined the poor ratings is Daniel Bryan. He's the single most annoying wrestler of all time. That Yes! crap is the gayest wrestling catch phrase ever and I don't mean gay as in homosexual, I mean gay as in a motivational marketing techniques seminar.

Daniel Bryan certainly makes me change the channel.

CM Punk isnt drawing because WWE dropped the ball on him, but they could've easily picked it back up if they put some effort into his rivarlry with Jericho. Jericho has yet to get one solid and convincing win since his return and therefore didnt pose a real threat to begin with. He should've won the rumble, had actual good build up to the WM match, and then taken the title off Punk in the rematch. The lackluster booking of the WWE championship is whats hurting the ratings because they're relying on Big Show and John Cena, two guys who have lost a lot of steam in the past year alone, to make up for it.

CM Punk isnt drawing because WWE dropped the ball on him, but they could've easily picked it back up if they put some effort into his rivarlry with Jericho. Jericho has yet to get one solid and convincing win since his return and therefore didnt pose a real threat to begin with. He should've won the rumble, had actual good build up to the WM match, and then taken the title off Punk in the rematch. The lackluster booking of the WWE championship is whats hurting the ratings because they're relying on Big Show and John Cena, two guys who have lost a lot of steam in the past year alone, to make up for it.

This is well said. CM Punk could be drawing and should be drawing. His issues are completely the fault of WWE creative. I don't understand how anyone who's a real fan of enjoyable wrestling entertainment could defend what creative has done over the last year and a half now. Punk is just the latest victim of it.

CM Punk not drawing? What have you been watching. He is the most over superstar in the WWE right now and is their leading merch seller. Would you say Bryan isn't over as well.

Someone made the point that CM Punk appealing to older audiences and having him on at the 10 slot gives less incentive to watch the rest of the show. And Cena's fans are mainly little kids who have bed times, so he should be at the 10 oclock slot.

Outside Factors:

Poor, Poor, Booking

Logical Reasoning

Too Many Titles

Too Many Pay-Per-Views

Use The Basics

Conclusion

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some good points made. I will comment on each point.

1)The best way to conclude if it being summertime being the reason, is to compare whether WWE ratings went down around summer other years as well. If they have, then this may be a reason. If not, then the reason is something else.

2)If you remember with the Big Show, he didn't give an explanation as to why he turned heel. He said that he doesn't owe anyone any explanation.

3) Agree with you on logical booking. I feel that storylines aren't explained well enough. I would have liked to have seen Punk v Jericho have ended their feud in a Ladder or a Cage or Last-Man-Standing Match.

4) Agree about the failure of the WWE Network.

5) Take The Training Wheels Off- I think that Vince is afraid of stuffing up, and his critics targeting him. He needs to stop being so paranoid. SCSA and the Rock became HUGE partly because they cut their own promos, not one scripted for them.

6) Agree about too many titles.

7) Too Many PPVs-Vince reduced the PPV by one this year. I can't see him reducing them to less than one a month, not as long as they still make money.

8)Use The Basics- I agree.

9) Live sex shows for the Divas Division.- Won't happen (I know that you were just joking). Especially because of the PG rating, and today's PC society, my hopes of HLA between Kelly Kelly and Eve will have to stay the stuff of fantasies, I'm afraid!

Is there anything more loathsome than WWE fans say "its because _____ was on!" to excuse a poor rating. As if NFL, NBA, MLB and normal TV shows never existed before, as if NFL and NBA began in 2009 and thus it explains Raw's poor ratings that are nearing WCWs in 1999 soon.

When WWE was at its peak, it had to compete with all those above, and every goddamn excuse in the book that the WWE zealot can think of and WCW, a rival company doing the same thing they were.

After the NBA playoffs its "its summer people arent home", then "Its NFL man" and it just keeps going. Do you goddamn think there will be a time where NOTHING else on TV is on a monday night? Seriously, do you realize how utterly insane and delusional you sound?

Maybe this is how Vince's stooges break the news to him when the rating comes in the night after, "uhm yea...2.7 but there was a basketball game on" that way Vince may not fire them and buy the BS excuse.

The product is poor, Big Show is in the main event scene, they forget their own storylines and do not have any stars other than Cena.

i love it how everyone online thinks they know all the truths and know more then WWE or even TNA.

But really, there is countless reasons why the ratings are down, its summer, NBA, same old booking and so on the amount of excuses people use are countless but could it just be, people just grow out of wrestling and have other ways they wish to spend their time. Sure WWE was able to go up against NFL and NBA back in the day ... but that was back in the day when wrestling was the hot cool thing and now its not and people have moved on from it.

So really its just the change of he times all shows go through it (ok WWE really isnt a TV show like, How i meet your mother or family guy, game of thrones) but even shows i listed before have bad weeks, and other shows have a few bad weeks that lead up to that show being axed. And thats it WWE is a Tv show of sorts and it goes throught its highs and lows like all things do as with TV one week your the hot show the next your not.

I think the reason the ratings are dropping is because the quality of the Storylines is dropping. Aside from the Daniel Bryan character, everyone else seems stale. CM Punk was great last year. But he has gone on to comply with WWE corporate (which he should as its his employer), but what WWE should have done is allowed him to be more anti-establishment like he was in THAT promo. Everytime I hear Punk say "WWE Universe" it makes my suspension of disbelief go....

John Laurenitus is not an interesting Character and is a weak version of Vince's tv character. Big Show is boring and has been past it for a decade or longer. Mark Henry? He was only ever entertaining in his Sexual Chocolate role when he recited poetry. Rey Mysterio has been out for ages with Injurys and suspensions - people miss watching him. John Cena character has been the same for almost 9 years- his character needs to go bad at some point..the problem is theres no point unless WWE creates stars to compete with him when hes a bad guy.

Big Show VS Cena for the 50th time is bigger than CM Punk VS Daniel Bryan for the WWE title? Really? :O

Didn't you see Over The Limit? The reaction that Punk-Bryan match got from the fans in the arena was fantastic. The fans were completely into the match and so was I when I was seeing it.
As for the Cena match, the fans in the arena were about half into that match as they were into Punk-Bryan. No one seemed to care. And when Big Show came for the Oh-So-Shocking-Twist about 2% of the fans gave a fuck. The rest stared. They didn't boo. They didn't cheer. They didn't care. They just stared.

See.. Brock-Cena I understand. Rock-Cena I understand. Even Kane-Cena I understand because at that time everyone was talking only about whether or not Cena will turn heel.
But Cena-Laurignaitis? I dont get.
And Cena-Big Show for the 50th time? That's just rubbish!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back