The Nirvana 20 Day Song Challenge

Day 14 - A song that makes you sad

[YOUTUBE]k2Fr90sOxbs[/YOUTUBE]

There isn't a Nirvana song that makes me actually sad, there are very few songs that do but if I had to pick, and I do if I want to finish this challenge, I will go for "Polly". Just knowing what the song is about is a bit unsettling, and I remember reading somewhere that a couple of blokes raped a girl at a later date, but while singing the song to her. That is just disturbing.

Day 16 - A song from the first album you ever bought

[YOUTUBE]wQsotR9-Nz8[/YOUTUBE]

And what if I never bought an album? Shame on me. Guess I'll go with the album that I first downloaded, which is Nevermind.

For a song, I'll go with Breed - it's a kick-ass one. The chorus is twisted and its a catchy song overall. :D

I believe the first album from Nirvana that I bought was Nevermind. I will go with "Territorial Pissings". To start the song off with a quote from "Get Together" by The Youngbloods was one of those rare comedic moments in a career bolstered by gloomy and cynical lyrics. And then when the song actual kicks in the first line "When I was an alien", let you know you were in for a weird/kick ass song. I also love the complete stop right after the bridge before it comes tearing back at you. Sometimes I forget how much I loved Nirvana. This thread is like rediscovering a lost love.

[YOUTUBE]D0o1aH0Ck3g[/YOUTUBE]

Day 17 - Your favorite single

[YOUTUBE]pkcJEvMcnEg[/YOUTUBE]

Man, this was hard. D: I just picked one out. Like I pointed out before, this was the song which I thing made me a fan. You just gotta love the weird imagery it creates. My favourite line is when it goes "I'm so ugly but that's okay 'cos so are you..."

My favorite songs from Nirvana tend to be the non-singles but if I had to choose one, I guess it'd be:

[YOUTUBE]JpMt_YqVbhw[/YOUTUBE]

In the interest of keeping things fresh, if I don't use the songs I've used for other days "About A Girl" wins this round. Simple lyrics, simple chords and a small solo to flesh it out. Yet it's so insanely catchy.

Day 18 - Your favorite from Incesticide

[YOUTUBE]p2MDlvg-4qc[/YOUTUBE]

The second song that makes me happy, after Son of a Gun. It's crazy, s******y and kick ass, right towards the abrupt end. :icon_mrgreen:

My god, this is an all out battle between "Dive" and "Aneurysm".

[YOUTUBE]PvwqSMRtoSI&ob[/YOUTUBE]

"Aneurysm" wins based solely on the fact that it was a live version that I watched and Dive was just the audio. Love the intro which serves as a bridge and outro as well. Simple lyrics but so much energy

Day 14 - A song that makes you sad

[YOUTUBE]1hGBYey28CQ[/YOUTUBE]

It's a depressing song in general and Kurt Cobain just makes it really emotional as if he was the person in the song. It also makes me sad when you realise this song was one of the last songs he ever performed live before he commited suicide

Day 19 - The song with your favorite riff or Kurt scream

Well my favorite Kurt scream is definitely the, "I would Shiverrrrrrrrrrr........." bit from "Where Did You Sleep Last Night". Pretty sure I already used that song once though and to keep things fresh I'm going to go with the "favorite riff" part of this challenge. Probably one of the least known songs from Nirvana's catalog. "Spank Thru", I believe only appearing on the Muddy Banks of The Wishkah album.

[YOUTUBE]lxNYAe85L20[/YOUTUBE]

From :05 - :46 there is a riff unlike anything Nirvana ever did. It almost has an early Johnny Cash feel to it. And I guess this song does have one of my favorite Kurt screams at 1:04

[YOUTUBE]xI60hTEmkEI[/YOUTUBE]

Kurt's scream at 03:50 is just... OwO And the way he pauses and stares at the audience for like a second with his eyes wide open and goes back to singing. Awesome cover.

Eek! I've got some catching up to do, so here comes a tri-fecta, starting with,

Day 15 - Your favorite from MTV Unplugged in New York

The Man Who Sold The World. The whole album is fantastic, as Kurt's voice is toned down for the most part in comparison to his singing efforts on the studio albums. This track in particular it feels like I'm hearing Kurt rather than just listening to him (cliché'd BS I know). "Who knows, not me, I never lost control, You're face to face, with the man who sold the world," is one of the most retrospectively heart-breaking lines of the whole album.

The only Nirvana album my sister didn't own was Incesticide, and once learning that Sliver was on that album I seeked it out. While I skip more tracks on it now than I did when I first had it, there are still some great songs I still regularly listen to. Son of a Gun and Molly's Lips were the 2 that stood out the most when I first heard it, but the brooding grungey atmosphere of Aero Zeppelin is what I'm going to go for here. They lyrics are amongst the most thoughtful that Kurt ever wrote and come across as a collection of negative thoughts surrounding parts of his life such as relationships, the direction of Nirvana and society as a whole.

The double A side of All Apologies and Rape Me.

2 songs with contrasting moods that perhaps encapsulate the polar extremes of the feelings of Kurt. Though All Apologies isn't necessarily upbeat, "The songwriter told biographer Michael Azerrad that while the lyrics had nothing to do with his family, the song's mood (which Cobain summarized in the words "Peaceful, happy, comfort") was intended for them." (So sayeth Wikipedia.)
Rape Me however is a lot more negative and is about Kurt's feelings towards the mainstream success that he was having to deal with. The opening sounding like Teen Spirit is by no means an accident and send chills up my spine the first time I heard it.

[YOUTUBE]zh1lce1PwmY[/YOUTUBE]

While I love The Man Who Sold The World and Where Did You Sleep Last Night they're quite obvious choices so I decided to go for another one.

Written by the Meat Puppets (who actually played on this song) its an interesting song with some strange lyrics that just go together and is a nice acoustic track.

Day 20 - Your favorite Nirvana song

What an impossible question to answer! My favorite things to listen to by Nirvana are no joking probably the covers off of Unplugged. Not so much that I think Nirvana's originals suck I just REALLY like the covers. But if I had to pick my favorite song written by Nirvana I guess I'll go with:

SAPPY
[YOUTUBE]etUXKqC5_J8[/YOUTUBE]

Ever since I discovered this song when I was trying to find all the rare stuff before the box set came out I've been enamored with it. Something about the crazy "Laundry Room" chorus and the feedback-y solo just makes this song stand out.

Well it's been fun, but I'm ready to let go of Nirvana for a while now, lol.

Day 20 - Your favorite Nirvana song

[YOUTUBE]qv96yJYhk3M[/YOUTUBE]

This was way harder than I thought it would be... I'm going with one of Nirvana's last recorded and great songs, 'You Know You're Right.' The lyrics are so simple yet so full of meaning. This song makes Kurt seem like a seriously depressed individual who's crouched in the corner of the room, rocking back and forth. :( ♥

I have been without internet access pretty much constantly for like the last week and a half so I will do a couple today.

[YOUTUBE]icZaSHYakiw[/YOUTUBE]

Just a really catchy, fun song. I liked it from the moment I heard it. I believe it is a cover but I am not totally sure. I absolutely love the way Kurt's voice rises for the line "an illustrated book about biiiirds".

[YOUTUBE]cdXlXT32ER4[/YOUTUBE]

A good, old fashioned proper grunge song in my eyes. Aggressive, pretty heavy compared to alot of Nirvana's stuff and it shows them in their early more-raw era. Should have been longer.

Another multi-post as I want to catch up on this.

Definitely "Come As You Are". It is my favourite Nirvana song by far. I have already posted the video once, so I don't want to clog up the thread with another YouTube clip.

As I do not have the album yet- I have just ordered it from Amazon actually, I will have to say "Been A Son" for now. Once again, not reposting the video. I will edit this "Day" once I have the album and if I find a song I like more.

"Blew". I love that riff, heavy and grungey. Absolutely brilliant. It is a shame that the song is not more well known, and most casual Nirvana fans I speak to have never heard it, only knowing the more famous singles from Nevermind. Once again, this was posted (as my favourite song from Bleach, so not reposting).

[YOUTUBE]gla-s6CsW3Q[/YOUTUBE]

I like it because its really catchy and the lyrics are quite interesting. Apparently it was written about Kurt Cobain's sister and how their dad wished she was a boy instead of a girl (hence the title)

This is Sliver. Insanely catchy song that is so simple but reveals quite a lot about his early experiences in life as well as his insecurity complex. It could be considered one of their happier songs in a way, as the final verse lyric is "I woke up in my mother's arms", which is a nice image, especially when he has constantly repeating that he wants to go home for most of the song.

Where Did You Sleep Last Night.

Do I even have to give any kind of detail about this? You know the one I mean. Only a picture is required for this.
14419134:jpeg_preview_medium.jpg

Day 20 - Favourite Nirvana song

After some thought, I think I'm going to go with About A Girl. It's one of those songs I can just randomly find myself humming to out of nowhere and seldom skip when it comes on. Yeh, it's About a Girl for sure.

Putting Smells Like Teen Sprit seems like a cop out so I'll put my favourite single from In Utero

[YOUTUBE]n6P0SitRwy8&ob=av3n[/YOUTUBE]

I really love the song, but for me the video is what makes this a great single. The imagery of the old guy in the hospital bed and on the cross while wearing a santa hat and pope hat is quite striking, as is the girl in the KKK outfit.

Gonna have to go with Aneurysm

[YOUTUBE]QD0D7IuriWQ[/YOUTUBE]

Its just a super catchy riff. Yeah the lyrics don't make much sense but I think thats part of the charm of it.

There's to many good riffs for me to whittle it down to one so I'll go with favourite scream

[YOUTUBE]WEUz9mDYm4g[/YOUTUBE]

It really does sound like he has Tourette's. I really like it because I feel he just needed to have a massive release of energy and this song helped him do it.

Day 20 - Favourite Nirvana song

Back to the beginning, it was the first Nirvana song I listened to and it still is arguably my favourite.

[YOUTUBE]qv96yJYhk3M&ob=av2e[/YOUTUBE]

Its just a combined of all the things I love about Nirvana, quite restrained stuff and an angry release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back