The song that got you into...Green Day

Hyorinmaru

Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
[YOUTUBE]lt8RkltVcIw[/YOUTUBE]​

back when I was about 14 my older brother was listening to Green Day's Album Nimrod when I went in his room to hang out with him (AKA smoke a bowl). After a bit this song came on and I really started listening. Since then I have listened to Green Day while I was sober and I can say that Green Day is one of my favorite bands. I own all of their albums from 39/smooth to 21st Century Breakdown and I love all of them. If you are a fan of this kind of music and have never heard Green Day first move out from under that rock you call home and give them a listen I promise you won't be disappointed.

[YOUTUBE]4AC7ebHkFcY[/YOUTUBE]​

F.O.D - Fuck Off Or Die by Green Day. No I'm not depressed and I don't have any tempted up anger problems which are psychologically burning away my brain cells. When I bought "Dookie" I accidently pressed backwards and I thought this song was the first song on the album while it played, and I instantly started singing the catchy melody of the chorus. So to me, this song got me into Green Day.

If not this then "Welcome to Paradise".

[YOUTUBE]NUTGr5t3MoY[/YOUTUBE]

I heard this song quite a long time ago on the radio. Back then, I thought it was phenomenal, because the rock that played was mostly grungy and moody, and here is this cat with his opening words of "Do you have the time to listen to me whine about nothing and everything all at once?" It was like a slap to the face to me; this guy was fire! Green Day since then has always reminded me of the punk bands of old, like The Clash. Ever since I've been hooked and I consider myself a GD fan.

Other songs that got me interested: Jesus of Suburbia, When I Come Around, and Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)

[YOUTUBE]SKBU6gOlgR4[/YOUTUBE]

I had never heard of Green Day before this song. My friend was really into them, and noone else I knew got any of their stuff. I remember being round at his house and he showed me this band he loved, and this was the track that immediately stood out for me. I ended up buying the single, and then getting International Superhits when it came out, with all Green Day's biggest songs on it.

I much prefer their stuff from around this time, with this still being one of my favourites of theres. I was into my Nu Metal around the time I heard this, so it was totally different from everything else I was listening to, but it was cool

[YOUTUBE]UNq9gmY_Oz4[/YOUTUBE]​

I'm sure this was it. With those opening descending chords who wouldn't be hooked? Listening to it now, it's still mesmerizing. And then following it up with the frantic "Jaded" was brilliant. I didn't really know much about them at the time I heard this which was probably a year or two before "American Idiot" came out. I mean I'd obviously heard and heard of them but I'd never really listened. I'm probably in the minority with this but I prefer the "modern" Green Day as opposed to "classic" Green Day. Probably has to do with not really being enamored with punk and the fact that Billy Joe has made leaps and bounds in songwriting (starting with "Time of Your Life"). Don't get me wrong, I do like their older stuff but the new stuff grabs me in a way their older stuff didn't (and like I said, not really being into punk).

The song that got me into Green Day, as far as fanboyism is concerned, was Boulevard of Broken Dreams. (Story is below the video) Although if you want to get technical then it was "She" because my older sister had Dookie when it first came out and played some of the songs for me when I was little, I liked it enough to get my own but it was not until years later that I would become a fanboy, so here's the song that did it:

[YOUTUBE]GMDd4on20Yg[/YOUTUBE]

I had been listening to them as far back as when Dookie first came out, but did not see how awesome they were until I heard Bouelvard of Broken Dreams because I liked that song so much that it made me go buy American Idiot which is now one of my all time favorite cd's. This in turn then led to me looking back on the other two Green Day albums I already owned, Dookie and International Superhits. I realized I had a lot of great music there. I've been a huge fan ever since.

[YOUTUBE]woBmpK8SaHM[/YOUTUBE]​

American Idiot - Green day

I'm sure I was 9, when my Older sister was going through her songs, looking for a better song to set as her ring tone.

And then this comes up and I love the beginning so I ask her to keep playing it.

That's when I asked her to play more songs of them..

So yeah :)

Mine was "When I Come Around." I had heard Green Day prior to that but didn't think they were anything special. Once I heard "Dookie" and more specifically When I Come Around, I was hooked.

I tried to post a link to the video but it got screwed up. Sorry.

Should I just mention something off 39/Smooth or Kerplunk (back when I bought anything put out by Lookout! records)? In any event, I got tired of them by Nimrod (or just about then). The Kerplunk cut of Welcome to Paradise was probably what got me "into" them (here's some more parenthetical writing for you to read. Hope you enjoyed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back