The Miz Tops The PWI 500 List

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
As we all know, Pro Wrestling Illustrated compiles a list of who the powers that be at the magazine believe are the 500 best professional wrestlers in the world. According to a story I just read by Ryan Clark, PWI has put The Miz at the top of the list for 2011.

The PWI 500 is another of these little "industry awards", for lack of a better term, that's often just fun to talk about and generally kick around. I expect a pretty good amount of pissing and moaning with The Miz beng ranked #1 but, let's face it, who else has generally created as much buzz and overall interest in a World Championship picture in 2011 as The Miz? The time period this year's list covers is from June 1, 2010 thrugh May 31, 2011, so CM Punk just missed the boat.

Good. Yes good. I know posters will come in here bitching about the decision but the truth is, The Miz deserves to be number one in the PWI500. No other wrestler in the WWE, TNA or any other promtion had a better year then The Miz. He's went from being a midcarder to defending the WWE Championship and main eventing Wrestlemania defeating the top wrestler in any organization in John Cena. Not to mention he's defeated another top babyface in Randy Orton. This is Miz's year and I for one am happy for the guy. To anyone who says he doesn't deserve this, think of one wrestler who's had a better year than The Miz...CM Punk, no, Cena, no, Christian, no, AJ Styles, no, Sting, no. Face it, The Miz is damn deserving of this honor.

Good. Yes good. I know posters will come in here bitching about the decision but the truth is, The Miz deserves to be number one in the PWI500. No other wrestler in the WWE, TNA or any other promtion had a better year then The Miz. He's went from being a midcarder to defending the WWE Championship and main eventing Wrestlemania defeating the top wrestler in any organization in John Cena. Not to mention he's defeated another top babyface in Randy Orton. This is Miz's year and I for one am happy for the guy. To anyone who says he doesn't deserve this, think of one wrestler who's had a better year than The Miz...CM Punk, no, Cena, no, Christian, no, AJ Styles, no, Sting, no. Face it, The Miz is damn deserving of this honor.

I can think of several...

Let's see here...

1/Super-Orton. He has his face turn happen after Wrestelmania last year when he took out Legacy and then from there went on a run un seen since Cena in 2005. Orton destroyed anyone in his path with out of nowhere RKOs and winning multiple World Championships, including one where he took on 5 other guys to do it. He didin't need the money in the bank suitcase either to have a cheap win.

2/ Super-Cena. Single handley ended The Nexus invasion that plagued Raw since Summerslam last year. He took them all on, was forced to join them and then invaded Raw himsefl to take them out one at a time before ending them by taking out Barrett in a chair match where he dropped 23 chairs on Barrett's head..

3/ And let's talk about Barrett, not so much at the end of the year, but man did he turn the WWE inside out after he won NXT and then brought Nexus inot the WWE guns ablazing. Destroying WWE legends like Ricky Steamboat and even Vince McMhaon himself. What an amazing year for a so called Rookie, he ended up in multiple title matches and made Super-Cena into his puppet, have we ever seen that from a guy in his rookie year. Did we ever see a rookie do this before? Awesome on the mic, solid in the ring... main evented several ppvs and Raws...

4/ Are we talking rookies, hell yeah we are, then what about Albertio Del Rio's year.. what a debut, what a year, what a ring entrance...

5/ Then there are TNA, yes Jeff Hardy screwed up at the edn there but he was basically unbeatable in TNA last year. Unbeatable, what about Rob Van Dam's title reign that could only have ended due to an attack from Abyss hospitalising him. Then there is Sting and how he just keeps getting better and better. He tunred inot this vicious heel fighting in sceret for Dixie Carter beating the absolute shit out of RVD in his debut and then did the same to everyone else. Then returns and beats Hardy for the title.

Say what you liek about the Miz, but there are a heap of guys who had way better years than him IMO...

Oh I was wondering why my thread got deleted but it looks like you beat me to the punch hammer. Yeah but on to the list. Miz definitely deserved to be number one on the list if you look at all he accomplished from the time frame. Miz won raws money in the bank, he was the united states champion for a few months during that period, he had some great matches with Daniel Bryan, he won the wwe championship from Orton, he successfully defended the wwe title at Tlc, Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber, and he successfully defeated John Cena at the grandest stage of them all at wrestlemania 27 in the main event. I can't think of anybody who had an even close stretch to the Miz's during that time frame. So Miz definitely deserved the top spot.

The Miz was overshadowed during his entire title run by John Cena and The Rock, when put in the same room/ring as them, he was quite clearly NOT on their level.

Now put CM Punk in that position, and he will hold his own. Punk is the best in the business, the Miz has already become stale and you can't be no.1 while being overshadowed during your entire reign, Miz is simply not a top tier guy

The Miz was overshadowed during his entire title run by John Cena and The Rock, when put in the same room/ring as them, he was quite clearly NOT on their level.

Now put CM Punk in that position, and he will hold his own. Punk is the best in the business, the Miz has already become stale and you can't be no.1 while being overshadowed during your entire reign, Miz is simply not a top tier guy

Anybody put in between John Cena and The Rock would of been overshadowed period. You could of thrown Orton in that situation and he too would of been overshadowed. The Rock had just returned after seven years and Cena had talked trash about him while he was gone. Everybody wanted to see The Rock of the past generation go at it with Cena of this Generation everybody wanted to see those two go at it. It was a lose lose situation for Miz let alone anybody. Then you say Miz has gotten stale god that's a stupid statement. That's why he always gets big reactions doesn't he. What a dumb post.

Good lord, The Rock was there for a month out of The Miz's title reign.
1/Super-Orton. He has his face turn happen after Wrestelmania last year when he took out Legacy and then from there went on a run un seen since Cena in 2005. Orton destroyed anyone in his path with out of nowhere RKOs and winning multiple World Championships, including one where he took on 5 other guys to do it. He didin't need the money in the bank suitcase either to have a cheap win.
Orton has been in the same position he is in currently for the last year or so. The Miz, however, has clearly grown into main event material.
2/ Super-Cena. Single handley ended The Nexus invasion that plagued Raw since Summerslam last year. He took them all on, was forced to join them and then invaded Raw himsefl to take them out one at a time before ending them by taking out Barrett in a chair match where he dropped 23 chairs on Barrett's head..
Cena would have been a good choice but I'm pretty sure Cena has won it before. I would've had no problem if Cena won it this year.
3/ And let's talk about Barrett, not so much at the end of the year, but man did he turn the WWE inside out after he won NXT and then brought Nexus inot the WWE guns ablazing. Destroying WWE legends like Ricky Steamboat and even Vince McMhaon himself. What an amazing year for a so called Rookie, he ended up in multiple title matches and made Super-Cena into his puppet, have we ever seen that from a guy in his rookie year. Did we ever see a rookie do this before? Awesome on the mic, solid in the ring... main evented several ppvs and Raws...
Wade Barrett had a mediocre year at best. Great impact when he debuted but slowly started to lose his buzz. The Miz stayed relevant throughout the year.
4/ Are we talking rookies, hell yeah we are, then what about Albertio Del Rio's year.. what a debut, what a year, what a ring entrance...
Hell of a wrestler, but didn't have anywhere as much of an impact as The Miz had.
5/ Then there are TNA, yes Jeff Hardy screwed up at the edn there but he was basically unbeatable in TNA last year.
Good year, but left. I'm pretty sure PWI doesn't want to have a druggie on the cover of their most popular issue.
Unbeatable, what about Rob Van Dam's title reign that could only have ended due to an attack from Abyss hospitalising him.
But stayed irrelevant.
Then there is Sting and how he just keeps getting better and better. He tunred inot this vicious heel fighting in sceret for Dixie Carter beating the absolute shit out of RVD in his debut and then did the same to everyone else. Then returns and beats Hardy for the title.
Didn't improve in anyway. He keeps the title for a while, then leaves. It's the same every title reign. No where as impressive as the Miz's.

I may not like Miz, but I think he is actually deserving of the feat. He was pretty entertaining as WWE champ and no one had the rise to the top like he did in the course of the voting year. He went from glorified mid card to top heel in the company at one point. Miz had one of the better US title runs in recent memory and then went on to become WWE champ, win a Wrestlemania main event, and he defeat Cena and Orton (WWE's top stars). Miz had a great year and is well deserving of being number 1 in the PWI500.

Good lord, The Rock was there for a month out of The Miz's title reign.

Orton has been in the same position he is in currently for the last year or so. The Miz, however, has clearly grown into main event material.

Cena would have been a good choice but I'm pretty sure Cena has won it before. I would've had no problem if Cena won it this year.

Wade Barrett had a mediocre year at best. Great impact when he debuted but slowly started to lose his buzz. The Miz stayed relevant throughout the year.

Hell of a wrestler, but didn't have anywhere as much of an impact as The Miz had.

Good year, but left. I'm pretty sure PWI doesn't want to have a druggie on the cover of their most popular issue.

But stayed irrelevant.

Didn't improve in anyway. He keeps the title for a while, then leaves. It's the same every title reign. No where as impressive as the Miz's.

These are all your opinions and you are entitled to them as Iam of mine but like AngryCenafan stated he was overshadowed by two other performers. It doesn't matter who they are, it made Miz look like a third wheel and was meant to be the Champion.

And I don't get some of your arguments... this isn't the most improved award, this is the top wrestler in the industry award, Super-Orton was an unstoppable beast as was Cena. barrett a mediocre year?? What the hell? He was so hot at the time he was on the poster of a ppv... was Miz?

I forgot to add Hiroshi Tanahashi on that list also, as without him the Japanese industry would be in a tonne of trouble.

How about Kane? Miz was a surprise, but Kane was a bigger one. Let's face it, no one thought Kane would have a World Title run this late in his career. He held it for 5 months, one of the better reigns of the last few years. He beat Undertaker 3 times at consecutive PPVs to retain the title. He had some amazing promos as well, one of which pretty much got him his push.

The problem is with this list PWI will only have a guy who works for a US national tv promotion number 1 so its TNA or WWE right now. One year they put Malenko number 1 ahead of Misawa for the sole reason Malenko-WCW ,Misawa-All-Japan. Its just sad to see a guy who's push is almost solely based on the fact that he knows what to say in interviews and was on the Real World so he can get booked for these interviews that other wrestlers will never be booked for, and not on his talent or ability to make people believe he could win a real fight.

These are all your opinions and you are entitled to them as Iam of mine but like AngryCenafan stated he was overshadowed by two other performers. It doesn't matter who they are, it made Miz look like a third wheel and was meant to be the Champion.

And I don't get some of your arguments... this isn't the most improved award, this is the top wrestler in the industry award, Super-Orton was an unstoppable beast as was Cena. barrett a mediocre year?? What the hell? He was so hot at the time he was on the poster of a ppv... was Miz?

I forgot to add Hiroshi Tanahashi on that list also, as without him the Japanese industry would be in a tonne of trouble.

You have to realize, Orton and Cena where very stale at this point. They've also won the award multiple times. Orton's viper gimmick was getting very stale around Royal Rumble time, and Cena hasn't done anything new since 2008. The Miz, is a perfect example of someone who has paid his dues. From jobbing in ECW, all the way WWE Champion.

When the Miz is on my t.v ,I switch the channel or I wash my dishes. He basically got a monster push because he's a good PR guy for WWE and is willing to do every public appearance possible to promote the company.

Doesn't change the fact that i can't stand the guy and he had a stinker main event match at wrestlemania with Cena. He's basically got "Go away" heat with me so i completely disagree with the PWI decission and i think he's totally underserving of the top spot.

You have to realize, Orton and Cena where very stale at this point. They've also won the award multiple times. Orton's viper gimmick was getting very stale around Royal Rumble time, and Cena hasn't done anything new since 2008. The Miz, is a perfect example of someone who has paid his dues. From jobbing in ECW, all the way WWE Champion.

That argument is like saying if PWi had a tag version, we'll put Santino and Kozlov at the top because Beer Money has won it a lot. And the Miz didn't pay shit for dues he constantly canceled the few indy bookings he took back in the day any time MTV called, he didn't start wrestling more than 30 matches a year until he got a WWE contract, and his push has as much to do that he gets interview bookings that the rest of the roster won't because he was on the Realworld. This award has never been about the best wrestler in the world, or at least one guy from New Japan, All Japan, Prowrestling NOAH, CMLL, or AAA would have won it at least once in twenty years..

These are all your opinions and you are entitled to them as Iam of mine
You're right, but you come here to have your opinion debated.
but like AngryCenafan stated he was overshadowed by two other performers. It doesn't matter who they are, it made Miz look like a third wheel and was meant to be the Champion.
Like I stated, The Rock was there for one month. I don't care who is in the ring with him, they are going to be overshaddowed. Look at the guys you gave me, Randy Orton has been overshaddowed by John Cena since 2008. RVD and Jeff Hardy have been overshaddowed by Hogan. Wade Barrett definitely doesn't deserve that honor and Sting didn't even make an impact this year.
And I don't get some of your arguments... this isn't the most improved award, this is the top wrestler in the industry award, Super-Orton was an unstoppable beast as was Cena.
But who are you going to remember the most; someone who stayed on the same level throughout the year or someone who has improved?
Barrett a mediocre year?? What the hell? He was so hot at the time he was on the poster of a ppv... was Miz?
Actually yeah he was; see Bragging Rights 2010 or Over the Limit 2011 or even Wrestlemania. Was Wade Barrett on numerous talk shows, radio shows etc.? Barrett had one good feud and was quickly was pushed under the rug. He isn't even over anymore.
I haven't followed him but I've seen quite a few of his matches.

Anybody put in between John Cena and The Rock would of been overshadowed period. You could of thrown Orton in that situation and he too would of been overshadowed. The Rock had just returned after seven years and Cena had talked trash about him while he was gone. Everybody wanted to see The Rock of the past generation go at it with Cena of this Generation everybody wanted to see those two go at it. It was a lose lose situation for Miz let alone anybody. Then you say Miz has gotten stale god that's a stupid statement. That's why he always gets big reactions doesn't he. What a dumb post.
The Miz entire reign turned into a dud! how did it end? losing to Cena, a mediocre WM match, and being in the shadows of ROCK/CENA the "BEST" does not get overshadowed by other people! nobody can make the argument MIZ is the no.1 guy in Wrestling over the last year!

The Miz entire reign turned into a dud! how did it end? losing to Cena, a mediocre WM match, and being in the shadows of ROCK/CENA the "BEST" does not get overshadowed by other people! nobody can make the argument MIZ is the no.1 guy in Wrestling over the last year!
It wasn't a dud, it was a reason to watch raw. Who had held the title before him? Super-Orton and Super-Cena. At least Miz was refreshing. Plus, his promos were pure gold. [and he won a wrestemania by the way]

When the Miz is on my t.v ,I switch the channel or I wash my dishes. He basically got a monster push because he's a good PR guy for WWE and is willing to do every public appearance possible to promote the company.

Doesn't change the fact that i can't stand the guy and he had a stinker main event match at wrestlemania with Cena. He's basically got "Go away" heat with me so i completely disagree with the PWI decission and i think he's totally underserving of the top spot.

This is 100% correct... The Miz & the Nexus are the 2 SOLE REASONS that I quite watching WWE in August of 2010. Anybody with half of a brain knows that the only reason that the Miz was given any kind of a push at all was because he used to be on the Real World. The media liked this about the guy and Vince pushed him because he thought that the media attention around a "reality star" would be good business. Now no one cares about this jack ass anymore and his "story" is old news. No more title reign or anything for him, and not another title reign (if ever) in the forseeable future.

I expect a pretty good amount of pissing and moaning with The Miz beng ranked #1 but, let's face it, who else has generally created as much buzz and overall interest in a World Championship picture in 2011 as The Miz? The time period this year's list covers is from June 1, 2010 thrugh May 31, 2011, so CM Punk just missed the boat.

Since you put it that way i strongly agree that The Miz should be #1, Yes Punk was a bit late for the boat trip but one year from now this punk story wont be fresh on our mind, Miz only lost the title a few months ago and he was on every single tv show he could have been on.

With my conclusion being that The Miz at #1 isnt a surprise.

I don't know if anybody realizes this, but in 2010, AJ Styles was #1 on the PWI 500 list, yet Randy Orton was given the PWI wrestler of the year award, and Orton was #4 on the PWI 500.

What I'm getting at is that they don't know what they're doing, so I wouldn't put much stock into PWI. Miz was great, but you could easily put CM Punk #1 for 2011.

Thoroughly deserved, I am so pleased for Miz. He works his bollocks off for WWE and the fans. 2010 was a defining year for him, a great year aswell.

I'd love to say Punk, but I think it's a bit too late for him to jump up the list to take the op spot.

If Miz is #1, then Punk is almost sure to be the next WWE Heel on the list, Punk and Miz are gold when it comes to getting heat. I saw both these guys earlier this Month(While Punk was 'suspended') and they both cut Promos, and they were both Awesome(Pun Intended) Miz had a go at us for doing the "What?" thing and that we should think of something new, followed up by a "Silence while I say my catchphrase"

Both Guys are Awesome, currently the best workers in the WWE (Cena Sucks)

I love the Miz. I always thought he was pretty good, but I have a personal story as to what really convinced me he was a star.

House show, Springfield, MO. Right before Mania. Main event is Orton vs Cena vs Miz.

Miz comes out first to a decent pop. He's a heel against the two biggest babyfaces/stars in the company. He gets on the mic, starts saying some stuff to a decent reaction, 5 minutes later the crowd is booing and screaming at him the loudest it was all night. the end of his promo when he was saying "I'M THE MIZ AND I'M AWWWWWESOOOOOOOOME!!" I couldn't hear him. He was yelling it as loud as he could but the crowd was booing so much louder. I was sitting 6th row right under one of the overhanging speakers too. Basically he took a decent reaction, in a match where the crowd is amped up for Cena and Orton, and got them worked up so much that his promo got a loduer pop than Cena's entrance, which isn't a rip on Cena. I'm basically saying that Cena's pop is usually the loudest of the night and Miz beat it.

As for the guy above me who said "(Cena sucks)" come on dude. Come on. Seriously? People who write about wrestling for a living say that if you don't think he's good in the ring then you lose credibility. Plus he's the biggest draw and the main job of a wrestler is to job. You can say you don't like him (which he probably worked you into doing), but you can't say he sucks. He does his job better than anyone (drawing) and people who critique this shit for money say he's good.

The right choice was made for this list. The Miz held 3 titles over the year and was wildly entertaining during his reigns. He also put over Daniel Bryan which holds some credence in my book. He gave Jerry Lawler a title match which allowed "The King" to get his Wrestlemania moment. (Granted, the Miz v. Lawler feud was dumb as was the Lawler v. Cole feud, but he deserved a WM match) Did some decent work w/ the Big Show as Tag champs as well.

The Miz is great on the stick which has been well documented, and I also feel his in-ring work has improved by leaps and bounds. Take last nights Raw match w/ Mysterio in which he completely overshadowed Rey even though he lost the match.

To all the people that say he was given everything on a silver platter due to him being on the Real World, I say bullshit. He was lambasted in the locker room by other wrestlers who felt he didn't belong. He has proven everyone wrong on his path to being (arguably) the top heel in the company.

To be honest, he's done a lot more in the last 12 months than anyone else. He was US Champion, then Mr. Money in the Bank and finally WWE Champion. On top of all that, he main evented WrestleMania (and won), beat Orton and Cena, got Daniel Bryan over big time when he returned, and did the same for Alex Riley when he turned. Miz was pretty much gold the last year or so, and he's rightfully earned his spot topping the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back