The Kanye West Fan Thread

Murder To Excellence - Kanye West & Jay-Z

This represents so much and is such an impactful peice of art. What makes Murder to Excellence so unique is that Jay-Z and Kanye depict the grim state of Black America in the first half of the song and then celebrate the great achievement and excellence in Black America in the second half.

A lot can be taken from these lyrics, "The paper read “murder…black-on-black murder." Kanye and Jay and telling us how bad black on black crime is here in America. One of the hottest lines from the song come from Jay-Z when he says that he's the reincarnation of Fred Hampton, who was murdered by the FBI, in his sleep, on December 4th, 1969, the day Jay was born: "I arrived on the day Fred Hampton died / I guess real n*ggas multiply."

In the second half of the song, called Excellence, Jay-Z observes that he only sees few blacks the higher he goes giving shout outs to both Will Smith and Oprah then says "that ain't enough, we need a million more." On Kanye's Excellence verse, he states "In the past if you picture events like a black tie. What's the last thing you expect to see? Black guys." Then later adds, "What's the life expectancy for black guys?" And without answering "The system's working effectively, that's why." Like I said, these lyrics are damn powerful and probably one of the very few political rap songs that have actually worked very well. We all know Kanye is very vocal about America's shortcomings, but now he's invited Jay-Z to share his thoughts in this wonderful masterpeice.

These lyrics are great but Swizz Beatz and producer S1 did a wonderful job making this beat. Murder To Excellence relies heavily on a chorus of vocal samples and aggressive drums along with some of the most pointed lyrics present on the album. It switches production styles halfway through the song which represents the split on Murder and Excellence. This song is phenomenal. It's definitely meant to be taken seriously but is without a doubt a fun listen.

While he may not be one of my favorite musicians, Kanye is better than people give him credit for. Anyone who has yet to check out Watch the Throne really should because it has arguably Kanye's best work on it. His brief tag team with Jay-Z created a memorable album that was highly anticipated. I just bought it the other day although Hamler had recommended a few good tracks from it back in September. I like every track on it. The beats are insane and the rapping is done well by both guys. Kanye haters, listen to that album and see what he has to offer.

I was never a big fan of Kanye originally, but after I heard the song below with him an Common on Chappelle's Show I opened up to checkin out his stuff. Now I would say I'm an every once an a while fan, I have major respect for him as an artist and theres plenty of his stuff that I really like, but this one is still my favorite to this day. But I think he gets too much hate and not enough respect, whether you like his personality or not there is no denying his talent.

[YOUTUBE]bkofj6C--VQ[/YOUTUBE]

While he may not be one of my favorite musicians, Kanye is better than people give him credit for. Anyone who has yet to check out Watch the Throne really should because it has arguably Kanye's best work on it. His brief tag team with Jay-Z created a memorable album that was highly anticipated. I just bought it the other day although Hamler had recommended a few good tracks from it back in September. I like every track on it. The beats are insane and the rapping is done well by both guys. Kanye haters, listen to that album and see what he has to offer.
Awesome bro, you definitely speak the turth. I would love to hear what some of your favorite songs from the album are?
[YOUTUBE]bkofj6C--VQ[/YOUTUBE]
One of my favorite collaberations between Common and Kanye West. Honestly, I've always believed Kanye and Common would make a way better Collaboration album together than Kanye West and Jay-Z. Nevertheless, Common is one of the best rappers of all time. Mix that with the best producer of the last decade in Mr. West and you have pure gold. I don't know how much you've listened to these two together but here's a couple of songs they've made together which I consider some of the best rap collaborations to date:

- Punch Drunk Love
- Southside
- Magic Man
- My Way Home
- Wack N*ggas
- GOOD Friday

Just a couple of recommended songs in case you like the Common/Kanye sound. Common is on Kanye's GOOD Music roster and I'm suprised they haven't really been collaborating a little more than they have lately. Also, catch Common's new album The Dreamer, The Believer when it comes out. It has some amazing tracks on it. I'll proabbly give ot a short review when it comes out.

Also, I owe you more rep.

A Look Back....
Can%27t_Tell_Me_Nothing.jpg

Kanye West's song from his album Graduation is one of Kanye's more underrated songs that wasn't played all that often. The song Can't Tell Me Nothing had huge success even getting a nomination at the 50th Grammy awards actually losing to Kanye's own song Good Life. The song contains audio samples of ad-libs provided by Young Jeezy as well as background vocals provided by Connie Mitchell of the Australian electronic group Sneaky Sound System.

The song featured great production from DJ Troomp . The lyrics are even better. Kanye even admits that the more attention he gets, the more stupid he acts; "I feel the pressure, under more scrutiny / And what do I do? Act more stupidly." Kanye's lyrics hover between insecurity (lyrics above) and arrogance("Bought more jewelry, more Louis V/My mama couldn't get through to me...I guess the money should've changed me, I guess I should've forgot where I came from").

An overall great song which is a fine listen. Not only is it one of my favorite songs from Kanye's Graduation album but one of his more underrated songs as well.

Awesome bro, you definitely speak the turth. I would love to hear what some of your favorite songs from the album are?

No Church In the Wild
N****s In Paris
That's My B****
Who Gon Stop Me
Made In America
Why I Love You
H.A.M.

I like those tracks the most because they have really great beats and what I felt were some of the stronger lyrical work of both guys on the album. It exceeded my expectations completely and the only thing stopping me from giving it an A is one track, 13 I think, has several minutes of quiet before it starts, and that was always a pet peeve of mine with music.

A- for the review. Love it and have been listening on my way to/from work.

I am not really the most avid follower of music release dates, as well as checking out an entire album upon release. I usually discover songs through pondering around youtube or from a TV show. About a month ago I was watching a Kanye West music video on youtube when I cam across: Power.

[YOUTUBE]YOshf_FeG6c[/YOUTUBE]

This shit is amazing. The beat is incredible, the lyrics are stupendous and everything about this song screams epic win. I read that he wrote this while he was on 'Exile" in Hawaii after the Taylor Swift incident (As apart of "My beautiful Dark Twisted fantasy) so he had plenty of material to work with here after the public reaction. Due to that reaction there was a lot of room for creativity during the creation of this song. I am torn between this and Stronger on which is the best Kanye song. Regardless this is his best single since Stronger.

Just looked over the nominations for the upcoming Grammy's. While Kanye has more than anyone else with seven, and his last album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is up for Best Rap Album, the fact that it got passed over for an Album of the Year nomination is baffling. While it technically didn't come out this year, it was within the nomination window, and is by far the best album I've heard in a long time. I don't know who chooses what's nominated, but those people need to get their heads on straight.

This shit is amazing. The beat is incredible, the lyrics are stupendous and everything about this song screams epic win. I read that he wrote this while he was on 'Exile" in Hawaii after the Taylor Swift incident (As apart of "My beautiful Dark Twisted fantasy) so he had plenty of material to work with here after the public reaction. Due to that reaction there was a lot of room for creativity during the creation of this song. I am torn between this and Stronger on which is the best Kanye song. Regardless this is his best single since Stronger.
Power is better than Stronger in every conceivable way.

While Stronger definitely has it's moments, it cannot out do the work Kanye put into Power. He took three reletively unknown songs (King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man, Afromerica by Continent Number 6 and It's Your Thing by Cold Grits) and meshed them in a well produced song that seems so original. Stronger seemed to borrow much of the sucess Daft Punk made from the song. Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger was a very popular song and Kanye simply capitalized off that. I don't wanna sound corny, but Power seemed from the heart. Power seemed like he put months of work into it and didn't do the song because he wanted his album to sell. If you ask me, that time away helped Kanye. Before, he was falling off. During his hiatus, he started focusing on the music again; his beats improved, his lyrics improved, and even his attitude improved greatly. Personally, I get the success of Stronger. But it just screamed average to me.

Just looked over the nominations for the upcoming Grammy's. While Kanye has more than anyone else with seven, and his last album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is up for Best Rap Album, the fact that it got passed over for an Album of the Year nomination is baffling. While it technically didn't come out this year, it was within the nomination window, and is by far the best album I've heard in a long time. I don't know who chooses what's nominated, but those people need to get their heads on straight.
That's one of the many bad perks of being an asshole my friend. There no fucking doubt in my mind My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy deserves at the very least a nomination. I'm going with my gut here but I bet the Grammy higher ups dislike Kanye's often bad public displays and wouldn't want him winning over someone the public adores like Adele or The Foo Fighters in their most prestigious award category. What's even more fucked up is that although Kanye tops the grammy's with SEVEN nomintions, he's only nominated in one of the top categories (song of the year). I find it to be complete horseshit. Late 2010 and 2011 was the year of Kanye. He overcame the Taylor Swift incident and hit harder than any other main stream hip hop artist this year. MBDTF deserves the honor and it's hard to take the Grammys seriously when one of the top albums in the time period isn't even mentioned. Anyway, that's just my two cents. If anything, Kanye will hopefully take home a couple Grammy's to stroke his already huge ego.

Watch The Throne...The Sequel??

Jay-Z recently spoke with MTV about continuing to work with Kanye West on another collaboration album. He suggested another album could be in the works and quite possibly be due out as early as late next year 2012.
Jay-Z on MTV said:
It depends on how this thing finishes up. We — I say ‘we’ because I’m in Throne mode — we’re in a great place creatively. You might see a Jay, then Kanye and a Throne album next year. You know, we’re really in a great place creatively. We really found our zone.
It seems unlikely but these two can suprise us with absolutly anything. Kanye has promised a sixth studio album as well as a G.O.O.D Music album next year as well; it seems impossible to include another album on that list. If so, I can't help but imagine next year will be another phenomenal year for Kanye West. If a sequel to Watch The Throne turns out to be legit, you better bet your bottom dollar it'll be as sucessful as the first. Take that for what it's worth.

Kanye West Wins Four Grammy Awards

kanye-west-rapradar.jpg

He looks so happy...and high.

Kanye West won four Grammys at last night’s award show. The awards he received were Best Rap Performance for his collaboration with Jay-Z titled Otis, Best Rap Song and Best Rap/Sung Collaboration for All of the Lights, and Best Rap Album for his album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. A great list of songs.

The big award for The Song of the Year award, which Kanye was nominated for All of the Lights went to Adele for Rolling in the Deep. No harm there as Adele has had a phenomenal year in music. Out of the seven categories he was nominated, he won four which West hasn't accomplished since 2008 when he was nominated for 8 awards. Ever since his release of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, West has been on a HUGE roll. He's released arguably his best album yet in 2011, dropped one of the most anticipated collaboration albums of the year in Watch the Throne, and it's been slated that a G.O.O.D Music album is do out in the spring. He's worked on albums, produced awesome beats for many songs we hear on the radio and he's damn deserving of the awards he received last night at The Grammys. He’s definitely stepped his game up. Congratulations Kanye.

White Dress
By Kanye West

In my absence, anther Kanye work has dropped: Cruel Summer. Cruel Summer is a work from all of the artist in the G.O.O.D Music family. Featuring phenomenal headbanging songs like Clique, Mercy, the I Don't like Remix, and one of my favorites from the collaboration album, The Morning which will definitely be a big song if given time. Through all of the uncontrollable headbanging, clubbanging, "we got money, you don't" lyrics, Kanye's managed to turn himself back into the Kanye we haven't seen in...say seven years; 2005 Kanye. The song I'm referring to is called White Dress. You won't find this track anywhere on Cruel Summer, or even his rumored upcoming album, instead, you'll hear it off the upcoming movie The Man with the Iron Fists' soundtrack.

From what I've seen so far in trailers, The Man with the Iron Fists will feature alot of kung-fu bloody action - you know your typical martial arts movie. Kanye's most recent release sets the complete opposite mood. A smooth beat is layered over screwed vocal samples from Game’s All the Way Gone, sung beautifully by Mario. Kanye’s voices leaps in detailing his passion toward this this mystery woman. Rumors swirl that this song is meant for Kim Kardashian or his ex-girl, Amber Rose. While those rumors could certainly be true I cannot get passed that. This song isn't meant for one person, rather meant for Kanye’s past and present fans. There’s something here for everybody. Whether you’re into Kanye's work for the beat or his lyricism, White Dress has it. The profanity most of us have become accustomed to is gone. He’s actually speaking positive about a female which is shockingly unheard of from mainstream hip hop artist.

Very Fucking Recommended

White Dress is unbelievably awesome. I’d recommend this song to just about anyone who listens to mainstream rap. Whether you’re a fan of Kanye West the artist or not, give this a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back