The Kanye West Fan Thread

G.O.O.D Music's
Pusha T- Mixtape
pusha-t-fear-of-god-e1300328155934-300x300.jpg

Fear of God

I don't know if many of you have listened to Pusha T but he's a phenomenal artist. He's signed to Kanye West's G.O.O.D. Music record label. He may be known as one half of the duo, The Clipse. He appeared in Kanye West’s Runaway and various of other tracks on Kanye’s latest album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Fear of God feature very top notch producing like Kanye West, Nottz and the almighty Neptunes. His choices with guest appearances include Rick Ross and Ab Liva on the track I Still Wanna and even includes 50 Cent in the Pharrell-assisted Raid. He freestyles over Soulja Boy’s Speakers Going Hammer and does a damn good job at it. Some of the other stand outs are My God, and Feelin’ Myself which sound very radio-ish.

The Fear Of God mixtape is great. It’s not up the Clipse albums, but it’s proof that Pusha T may have some legs as a soloist. He shows his ability to write a narrative in the Nottz-produced Alone In Vegas, where he showcases his arrogant disgust for those beneath him, and a keen believability. With Kanye West and G.O.O.D Music in his corner, nothing but good can come from this phenomenally gifted rapper. Big Sean from the record label seems to be getting an album ready for release, but if it were up to me, Pusha has to be next in line.

”My God”
[YOUTUBE]Clo0U1BMR5I[/YOUTUBE]
”Feelin Myself"
[YOUTUBE]KoRi80ZLVtE[/YOUTUBE]

Kanye West wins Best Male Hip Hop Artist at BET Awards
bet-awards.jpg

Kanye West was nominated for four awards at this year's BET Award show: Video of the Year for Runaway, Video Director of the Year, and Best Collaboration for All of the Lights feat. Rihanna. But perhaps the biggest achievement of that list would be his win for the Best Male Hip Hop Artist for 2011 - his third win for that category in his hip hop career something no other hip hop artist has yet to accomplish. Kanye beat the nominees of B.O.B, Drake, Lil Wayne, and Rick Ross.

I gotta say, he deserves this shit. It's about time Kanye's hard work is finally paid off. He's been damn busy with producing albums from The Game, Jay-Z, Big Sean, Snoop Dogg, Pusha T, B.O.B, Drake, and Rick Ross and not to mention producing his own album which has received a phenomenally amount of praise.

By the way, his sixth studio album is due out this Summer according to his Twitter. Take that for what it's worth.

Kanye fans, lets all congratulate Kanye West for his win at the BET awards.

BREAKING NEWS

Kanye West and Jay-Z's NEW Collaboration Album Watch the Throne due out August 2nd.
tumblr_lnt7zsknfD1qz4xr9o1_250.jpg

Yes, that is the [OFFICIAL] album cover. After numerous promised realease dates, various sources have confirmed Watch the Throne is set to be release on August 2nd 2011. According to Watchthethrone.com, a single is set to be released within the next couple of weeks.

Tracklisting according to DdotOmen.com is as follows:

1: Lift Off
2: N*ggas in Paris
3: PrimeTime
4: New Day
5: Living So Italian
6: Otis Redding
7: No Church In a While
8: I Can’t Stop/Spazz/Murder to Excellence
9: Sweet Baby Jesus
10: Love You So
11: H.A.M

I don't know how official the tracklisting is but it's damn good. However, some of the songs Kanye West and Jay-Z have released through twitter apparently didn't make the cut. I don't have a problem with the Wacth the Throne but I do want some big names on the album. It looks to be complete and in the final stages of production. Can't wait for August 2nd :).

That is if Kanye doesn't change his mind again. Lulz. Oh yeah, did you hear Kanye's new solo album is due out this summer. Haha, yeah right.

Otis
By Kanye West & Jay-Z feat. Otis Redding

I was a bit skeptical when I first heard Kanye West would be sampling Otis Redding's Try a Little Tenderness. But the song isn't actually that bad. But sadly enough this track is your typical rap track with Jay-Z rapping about his watches and international connections and Kanye West doing his best to one-up him with lines about having multiple Mercedes, private jets and whatnot. The lack of a chorus and the somewhat weak verses make this sound a lot more like a freestyle than a studio effort. Considering this, it actually seems like an insult to sample Otis Redding’s emotionally powerful Try a Little Tenderness. Not a bad rap song but come on, I expect a little more from the two kings of rap and especially my boy Kanye.

Fuck it. If you're a fan of Kanye and Jigga, you'll like it, but if you're not, you'll be turned away pretty quickly. Otis still manages to be a good song. The Redding sample and the verses exclusive of one another aren’t bad, they just aren’t the greatest fit together. So yeah, fuck it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE
On the release of Watch the Throne

Watch the Throne is actually coming out August 8th on digital download while hitting stores August 12th. The following is tracklisting: (and yes, H.A.M. (the original single from the album) is only on the deluxe edition)

1. No Church In the Wild (feat. Frank Ocean)
2. Lift Off* (feat. Beyoncé)
3. Nigg*s In Paris
4. Otis (feat. Otis Redding)
5. Gotta Have it 6. New Day
7. That’s My Bitch
8. Welcome to the Jungle
9. Who’s Gon Stop Me
10. Murder to Excellence
11. Made In America (feat. Frank Ocean)
12. Why I Love You (feat. Mr. Hudson)

On the Deluxe Edition

13. Illest Motherfucker Alive
14. H.A.M
15. Primetime
16. The Joy (feat. Curtis Mayfield)

Kanye West leads the MTV Video Music Awards with a total of 11 Nominations
2011-mtv-video-music-awards-profile.jpg

So while I was living under my rock for the last month or so, it was announced Kanye West would lead the MTV music awards with 11 Nominations. Some of his categories feature two nominations for Yeezy. Kanye has definitely been working his ass off for the better part of last year and everywhere you turn he's there. Kanye's been producing albums for just about everyone important in the rap game with the exception of Eminem. His All of the Lights single is one of the most downloaded songs of 2011 and it was recently reported Katy Perry might break the rercord for most number one singles on a single album since Michael Jackson's Bad (I think Kanye had a little something to do with E.T. making it big like that). Anyways here's the nominations:

All of The Lights feat. Rihanna and Kid Cudi

Best Male Video
Best Collaboration
Best Hip-Hop Video
Best Editing in a Video

E.T. By Katy Perry feat Kanye West

Best Direction in a Video
Best Collaboration
Best Special Effects in a Video
Best Editing in a Video
Best Art Direction in a Video

Power feat. Dwele

Best Art Direction in a Video
Best Special Effects in a Video​

I cannot wait for August 28. Let's hope Kanye ass rapes the MTV Video Music Awards with his big black...nevermind.

Hamler Presents:
Watch The Throne Review

After those two pricks Jay-Z and Kanye West announced they would be producing a collaboration album together and making us wait a fucking decade, Watch The Throne...is here. And what's any Kanye related project without a review from yours truly.

1. No Church In the Wild (feat. Frank Ocean)
It starts out fine but yet underwhelming at first. An album called Watch The Throne should definitely start off fucking huge. While Jay-Z's verse is ih so forgettable Kanye raps about forming new religions. Frank Ocean sounds pretty good but I feel this song should have been later in the album. The beat switches at the end for no reason whatsoever.

2. Lift Off* (feat. Beyoncé)
Let me start off by saying Rihanna > Beyoncé. The chemistry is already there between these three so I don't see why she isn't on the track. Anyways, the much anticipated track featuring the Jay-Z's bitch is not as great as i was expecting it to be. Beyonce starts the song with her powerful vocals, but after the intro, we only hear from her in the chorus. The last minute or so is the most interesting, as the chorus which we’ve heard over and over gets reworked on some new percussion, but alas, it’s just an outro.it's the second track from the album yet still not much. Kanye’s verse starts off strong before he begins mumbling his lyrics, while Jay Z’s follow-up is almost nonexistent. The song looks to have most mainstream appeal (with Beyoncé and all) but there isn’t enough of a definitive or inventive line to really draw me in.

3. Nigg*s In Paris
I like this shit, my personal favorite from the album. "That shit cray." Hahahaha, this beat is amazing. Basically, Paris is representing a place that you are not. Not exactly Kanye's best verse here as I can't understand what the fuck he is saying but damn this song is catchy. There’s also a Blades of Glory sample (“No one knows what it means, but it’s provocative!). Lol.

4. Otis (feat. Otis Redding)
I did a review of this song earlier in this thread. Go read it. It's received great praise but I can't bring myself to give a fuck about this track.

5. Gotta Have it
A phenomenal reminder that Jay-Z and Kanye West are no to be fucked with. The two trade lines instead of verses which proves these two together are unstoppable. They finish their partner’s thoughts in a way i’ve come to expect is still satisfying, particularly when filled with humorous pop culture references.

6. New Day
If you hate Kanye, listen to this song. Dedicated to their hypothetical sons, Kanye and Jay resolve not to make the mistakes their parents did and it’s hard not to be moved by the track–if not by the verses, then by their moody underpinnings, particularly by the end, where a distorted guitar sample and Simone’s full lyrics at the end.

7. That’s My Bitch
I've did a short little review when it was leaked. Go listen. There's few minor changes and like i said back then, it wasn't done at the time.

8. Welcome to the Jungle
Ok song. Most of the track is consumed by Jay’s self-doubt (“I look in the mirror, My only opponent”) though things spiral downward after he initially announces himself as King of the Jungle, starting the track off with a bombastic statement like much of what that fills the rest of the album (“Black Axl Rose, Move halfs and wholes / Come down to the jungle, Jus ask for Hov”). This song can go fuck itself.

9. Who’s Gon Stop Me
This beat relies heavily on a slowed down version of Flux Pavilion's I Can't Stop. The song fits the album title so perfectly with the "no one can touch us" theme. It's a good song and all but some of the lyrics are ******ed. Like Jay-Z's verse “like a rabbit, I like carrots. I’m allergic to having bunny ears” sounded incredibly stupid. Jay-Z also sounded like he was gasping for air when he was spittin'.

10. Murder to Excellence
This track is good. Produced by Swizz Beatz and producer S1, this track relies heavily on a chorus of vocal samples and aggressive drums along with some of the most pointed lyrics present on the album. It switches production styles halfway through the song. Jay and Kanye’s somber lyrics bringing drama with Jay and Kanye’s somber lyrics bringing the song together. Kanye sounds really good here...and he's singing.

11. Made In America (feat. Frank Ocean)
Kanye spends his time looking back, remembering his rise from summer school student to most demanded producer. Jay-Z is planning ahead for the future and his potentially expanding family. Jay-Z reveals things he may be thinking but no regularly willing to share with others. While the song’s chorus seems to honor all of those “Made In America,” the track is really a look at the history these two have shared and differing futures, which is a fitting way to end the album.

12. Why I Love You (feat. Mr. Hudson)
One of my more favorites from the album. Jay-Z and Kanye interact more on this track then any other track on this album so I'd say it's worth the listen. G.O.O.D. Music's Mr. Hudson joins these two spitting the chorus which is incredibly catchy. Kanye weaves in and out of Jay's verses. Overall cool song and when it ends, so does Watch The Throne.

Album Rating - 8/10
It's definitely good, but the album feels more like a Jay-Z album with Kanye sticking behind the scenes. Yeah he has numerous verses thorughout but Jay-Z is definitely the one most will appreciate. On Watch the Throne, they push each other and have fun doing it, and the result is huge rap spectacle that still sounds like two insanely talented guys that put a lot of work into their album. Seems rushed but I'm fine with the way it turned out. If you're a fan of Kanye's producing and Jay-Z's rapping then this is the album for you. Jay-Z is actually rapping as if he gives a shit. Kanye forces Jay to step it up everytime they share a track together. It's been roughly 8 months since My Beautiful Dark Twoisted Fantasy was released. Kanye's had one of the best years for any rap hip hop artist since Lil Wayne in 2008. Hats off to both Kanye and Jay-Z for a well worked collaboration album.

As my my boy Ham has WTT is a great album so expect my review up when I get off the plan from Chicago.

Now I have watched the Otis video 8 times and I must say I like the set up Ye and Jay was just out there having fun cut up a Maybach and make it a true "Fire Bird" So A nice music video for a superb single.

Let me go ahead and tell you Watch The Throne is 1 of the few albums where I like every track a lot but I honestly think not just people who dislike Kayne and Jay ,but Hip-Hop in general need to listen to "New Day" this track is very special and heartwarming for both artist and represent a common factor that has went missing in our society: Fatherhood.

As they spit about how they would raise their families and the future sons just brings a tear to my eye and smile from cheek to cheek

New Day - Watch The Throne
By Kanye West and Jay-Z

I agree with you Jay, this song is definitely a tearjerker. There are many people who have a huge dislike for Kanye West as a person therefore will not listen to anything he touches (which is complete horse shit). This song is definitely one to listen to if you think he's scum. I get the song is about their hypothetical sons but if you listen to Kanye's verse, he admits he's a huge douche. He spits about not letting his son grow up to be hated, not letting him have an ego, and Kanye even brings his mother into his lyrics stating how he'd never let his son move his mother into the spotlight where she can't handle the pressure; I'm sure most of us know the story of the passing of Kanye's mother. Overall it's an inspirational song that should definitely get a little more attention before Watch the Throne fades out. Probably one of the deepest Kanye songs in a while.

I just listened to Watch the Throne for the first time a couple days ago, and I was impressed. Both guys showed plenty of lyrical ability, though I felt Jay outshone Kanye in that respect, which isn't too surprising. This was more Rap than Hip-Hop overall. I need to listen to it some more before giving my full thoughts on it, but it may take a while considering how many other albums I have to get through.

Watch The Throne Breaks Digital Sales Record

Released digitally last Monday, August 8th, Kanye West and Jay-Z’s Watch the Throne jumped to number one in 23 countries across the globe.

The LP is now the highest selling album in online sales history, with a record breaking 290,000 copies sold and counting. The album shattered Coldplay’s 2008 record Viva La Vida which had a digital sales record of 155,000.

The total number of digital and physical units sold will be released this Wednesday.

Source - HipHopDX

I need to thank you for your Kanye love, Hamler. This thread reminds me to keep listening to his awesome music. Anyway, I (for some reason) watched the VMA's last night and was pleasantly surprised to see Kanye & Jay-Z perform together. It was easily the best performance of the night (not like it had much competition), and I remember seeing Kanye get at least one award, so that's good. I still need to listen to Watch the Throne again though. I'm sure I'll get around to it soon.

I need to thank you for your Kanye love, Hamler. This thread reminds me to keep listening to his awesome music. Anyway, I (for some reason) watched the VMA's last night and was pleasantly surprised to see Kanye & Jay-Z perform together. It was easily the best performance of the night (not like it had much competition), and I remember seeing Kanye get at least one award, so that's good. I still need to listen to Watch the Throne again though. I'm sure I'll get around to it soon.

Thank you to you and the select few who keep me company in this thread. It's very much appreciated.

Kanye won two with Katy Perry for E.T. One for best collaboration and the other for best special effects in a video which wasn't shown. I think Kanye should've won the special effects award for Power but that's just me. Kanye was nominated for 11 awards at the VMAs but if you look at the adds and commercials for the VMAs, not once was Kanye mentioned. Not as a guest or even a promoted performence which I think is a bit bullshit. It's obvious MTV doesn't give two shits about Kanye and I think he knows it. It's not like the VMAs are all that prestigious anymore anyways. I'll admit, I expected him to win a few more awards since he put so much fucking work on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

As for Watch the Throne, give it a listen and come discuss it with me. Lol

Dagger Dias via rep said:
Kanye is better than the haters want people to think. I'm not that big of a fan but I want to check out his tag team effort with Jay-Z, would that be worth the money?

Well, if you aren't much if a fan, it's hard to say. As I have said before, Watch The Throne feels a lot like a Jay-Z album with Kanye sticking behind the scenes. He has multiple verses throughout the album but most people will appreciate Jay-Z's effort. Kanye did a lot of the producing for the album. So if you're a fan of Kanye's producing, and Jay-Z's rapping, the album is good for you. Give it a listen, it's actually pretty much worth it. If anything, look up the track listing and pick out a couple songs and listen on Youtube.

Recommended Tracks:

Why I Love You
No Church in the Wild
That's My Bitch
Nigg*s In Paris
Otis
Murder to Excellence
New Day

Of course, I like pretty much every song on the album, and my opinion of Otis has changed since listening to it a couple times. Give it a listen Dagger, if you're a fan of rap, you'll like it.

A Look Back....
gold-digger.jpg

"She take my money, when I'm in need." Damn straight, going back to Late Registration's number one hit, Gold Digger by your boy Kanye West featuring Jamie Foxx. The song is heavily influenced by Ray Charles using the sample I Got a Woman (although sung by Foxx). Gold Digger has become the 9th most successful U.S. single of the 2000s which is one of Kanye's many great feats.

The song kicks off with Jamie Foxx's blues like cry about a woman who takes his money when he's in need. Kanye West comes in telling stories and cautioning wealthy young men about the truobles they may face when dating a woman who likes you for your money. Kanye's lyrics are phenomenal here. Before the song closes, there is also a caution for the women out searching for a poor young guy who has "that ambition/look in his eyes." This song might have been played a little too much on the radio for my liking but it's fun dusting off the tack and popping it in after sometime of not listening to it.

[YOUTUBE]zPTGcWxyKbw[/YOUTUBE]
Nigg*s In Paris
Kanye West and Jay-Z

The Hitboy produced club banger from Kanye West and Jay-Z's highly recommended collaboration album Watch The Throne is by far one of my favorite songs on the EP. Jay-Z does a wonderful job of rhyming double time over the jittery, up-tempo, drum pushing beat while Kanye takes the song into half time with his verse spitting out hilarious bullshit I’ve yet to comprehend. Then comes the most unexpected sample of dialogue from the Will Ferrell/Jon Heder comedy Blades of Glory - "No one knows what it means, but it's provocative," summing up the art of the hip hop lyrics.

This song isn't meant to be taken seriously and is hilariously a fun song to get down to. It takes talent to make something you'd hear off of a shitty Soulja Boy album work, and these two did just that. They took a step back from the seriousness of Watch the Throne to cut loose and make a song that will probably be played on the radio in the near future. Good/fun listen.

First off i wanna list my favorite songs of Mr West.

Through The Wire- His first hit, first song period. My man made this song with his jaw wired shut basically.. sold me on him right away because i was like.. "dude has this much passion for music that he got in there and recorded this song with a messed up jaw" legendary sample from Chaka went perfect with the beat and vibe of his words. This were it all started for me loving Kanye.

Slow Jamz- Already being sold on Kanye West and liking him... Then he gives me this song with Twista. Loved how funny he was in this song.. the loose feeling he had.. good vibe. "It definitely will, definitely will." "She got a light skin friend look like Michael Jackson" "got a dark skin friend, look like Michael Jackson" Never will forget those lines in his verses. This song let me know that Kanye had tons of unique personality and that he was about to set a unique tone in the world of Hip Hop.

Drive Slow- While everybody was caught up on Gold Digger from his 2nd album, this is the song that took me on a new level on my love for Kanye West. Dont get me wrong, Gold Digger was the shit, but it got repetitive quick to me it was funny and cheesy though. But when i heard "Drive Slow" for the first time, i couldn't believe what i was hearing. The beat caught me up instantly, it was so chill and cruise. Once again Kanye set the tone with a great verse. He flowed it good, good story telling. I got the theme of the song right away at the end of his verse. "Put me on with these ho's homie, he told me dont rush to get grown, drive slow" Paul Wall and GLC's verse was good, but they were bragging to much about the materialistic side for me. The only verse that fit theme of this song besides Kanye's was T.I's verse. But this is my top 3 favorite Kanye West songs ever.

We Major- This is the most underrated song Kanye has ever done IMO. That beat was so epic, the chorus was just the shit man. Kanye's verse was real and down to earth as usual. Throw in the fact that it featured my favorite rap artist ever in Nas.. It was just so official. I mean the whole Late Registration album was to set to let people know that Kanye West was here to stay but.. This song to me justify that the most on the whole album. That not only was he here to stay but.. that he Major.

Testify-I'm mostly mentioning this song because it introduced me to who is now my top 5 favorite rapper of all time, Lupe Fiasco.. In fact honestly.. Lupe is my top 3. The song was good, Kanye was good and himself as usual. Love the video, how they had Nia Long and Tracy Ross in it. But thank God for this song, because it further made me proud to be a Kanye fan but.. also introduce me to Lupe Fiasco.. holla

The Glory- To me, the whole Graduation album period is where Kanye's ego tripping took off lol. I mean but with good reasoning. We all were happy when we graduated right?
But honestly this was his best album next to registration, its a close one. I love this song right here, made me happy when i first heard it, makes me happy every time i hear it. The sample and beat was so great. "can i talk my shit again? even if i dont hit again? dog are you fucking kidding?" "its easy the hood love to listen to Jeezy and Weezy and oh yea Yeezy" enough said lol

Everything I am- "Here we go again" "You see how i creep up? you see how i played the big role in Chicago like Queen Latifiah?" What more can i say? Beat was great, good ass sample and scratches. One of his most underrated songs. Loved it

Champion- Something about this beat that was unique and catchy. It makes me feel good when i hear this. It was a good song to open the album with after the intro "Good Morning"

Homecoming- One of things that makes Kanye West so great is that he is just so damn unique. What other Rapper you know could make a song with my man from Coldplay? and then make it a great song at that. Ahh the piano keys in the song were so good. It was such a soulful time listening to it. The video watching Kanye be real and watching Chris Martin in it. Epic

Heartless- Hey umm did i mention that Kanye is super unique? did i mention that he is real? Yes i did and yes he is. This song was just shocking, the whole album was shocking but i wasn't surprised at the end of the day, not one bit. The whole album was so special and gratifying to who Kanye is. And how he isnt afraid to be himself and different.

Paranoid- Ahhhh my man went so 80's retro on it, and it was great. The beat and how he sang and talked in it.. Super good man.

While I was on my extended break from the Kanye thread, Kanye's been doing his thing making headlines in the music world. While he's busy with his Watch The Throne tour with Jay-Z, they are both being sued for illegally using a sample from blues artist Syl Johnson in The Joy. Not big news considering Johnson has also filed lawsuits again Wu-Tang clan, Cypress Hill and Michael Jackson. Anyways, Kanye has also unveiled a womans wear new clothing line in Paris called DW. I haven't seen it myself but to be fair, I don't care much. Let's move on to the bigger stories.

Kanye To Work with Justin Bieber on Bieber's Upcoming Album
After that little no good little shit Justin Bieber promised to never work with Kanye West after the Taylor Swift incident, he's decided to include Kanye on his upcoming album which also includes Drake. It sounds like Bieber is aiming for a more distinguished sound working with artists such as Mariah Carey, Busta Rhymes, and Chris Brown on his November 1st release which I believe is a Christmas album. It's said that Bieber wants to grow musically, expanding in the ever so popular hip hop genre. It might work considering Kanye can make pretty much anyone look good. Well, I guess Bieber doesn't need Kanye more like Kanye needs Justin. Surely, after two solid albums Kanye can get away from the ****e named Taylor Swift and everyone can put that behind them. If Justin Bieber can forgive Kanye, so can anyone.

Gold Digger Featured in TIME Magazine's Top 100 Songs of All Time
This is a very interesting story. TIME Magazine published an article about the top 100 songs of all time. Although the list is unranked, I'm sure it's an honor to be on the top 100 list with such legends like Michael Jackson, Prince, Lady GaGa and The Beatles. The list includes songs all the way from the 1920's.

Kanye West Named 5th Most Influencial Man of 2011
On AskMen.com, out of 200,000 men, Kanye West was elected as the 5th most influencial man of 2011. Kanye's 2011 has been filled with amazing moments; one of the biggest tours in his career with Jay-Z, Unveiling of his new DW clothing line and the release of the ever so highly anticipated Collaboration album Watch The Throne. Kanye's been on fire. You may ask yourself, why the fuck is Kanye on this list, he's an ass? Well, to put it simple, Kanye West is very popular under the male demographic. He's the highest rated entertainer on the list and it’s damn clear who was on top of the rap industry in 2011. Those lucky guys who rank ahead of Kanye include: Warren Buffet, Google founder Larry Page, Seal Team Six and the late Steve Jobs finish off the list. This is the year of Kanye no doubt.

Kanye West is one of the few rappers I enjoy no matter what. NIP is probably my favorite song right now. It is hilarious and the beat is great and the lyrics are that much better. Kanye is ridiculously good. I know whether he is the featured artist or just as an accompanying artist that I'm going to get a good song nearly 100 percent of the time. I'm not much of the music listener, but Kanye is definitely someone I listen to when I'm in the musical mood. And while I'm here I'll throw out a Kanye piece that I've really been digging lately.

[youtube]qzVKZ4LdDvg[/youtube]

BREAKING NEWS
Watch The Throne Sales Reach 1 Million

A bit of breaking news here. It appears that Kanye West's and Jay-Z's Watch The Throne has reached one million album sales.
Kanyetothe.com said:
It took their premiere effort nearly three-months to do so, but the collaboration LP Watch The Throne between Kanye West and Jay-Z has sold itself to platinum status, marking the sale of one million albums. The two are no strangers to platinum plaques as both of their most recent solo releases have achieved that status. Still sitting in the American album sales Top 20 list, Watch The Throne has been the second highest selling rap album of 2011, eclipsed only by Lil Wayne’s Tha Carter IV.
As I look throughout the web to verify, it looks to be true. Kanye and Jay's effort seems to be paying off as their most recent album is topping one million album sales which is still an impressive feat in the world of hip hop. This story mentions that Watch The Throne is the second highest selling album of 2011 only second to Lil' Wayne's recent Tha Carter IV. I hate Lil Wayne but he is damn sure popular which is truly saying something for Kanye West and Jay-Z. I find it hilariously ironic that the two kings of hip hop produced the second highest selling album of 2011 and not the highest. Nontheless, it's still a great accomplishment for one of the highest anticipated albums of the year. The LP went from a 5 track joint to a huge sucess which is great. Go ahead and add this to the long list of accolades Kanye's received in recent months. Great news indeed.

Also, that shit cray. Ok, I just wanted to say that...

A Look Back....
KW-Stronger.jpg

Stronger is from the third studio album of Kanye West, Graduation. Over the years, its become West's third most successful single with over 4,402,000 digital units sold. It won a Grammy Award for Best Rap Solo Performance at the 50th Grammy Awards and deservingly so. Stronger is by far one of the best songs on Kanye's Graduation album but at times, I find myself skipping the song when it comes up on my playlist. I love this song as much as anybody, but damn is it overrated. I think Kanye utilized the popularity of the French group, Daft Punk to gain some major sucess on his third studio album.

Here, Kanye samples the hit Daft Punk song Harder, Better, Faster, Stonger. Kanye West stripped out the trademark disco flourishes from Daft Punk leaving primarily the hooky, robotic chant. Adding in some very simple percussion and Kanye style of rapping gives you a fine club banger and best of all, a radio smash hit. There's no doubt that Kanye is a fan of '80's style rap. Like most hip hop songs in the '80's, Stronger samples an electric style which makes it a fine single to represent the Graduation album. It's contemporary and retro and has a "get up on your feet and dance," feel which is a great style to represent today's hip hop generation.

Well I am not going to post the new songs of Kanye but rather give my opinion of him as well as 2 of my favorite songs of his.

Kanye West is one of the few rappers who's voice really doesn't irritate me, that cannot be said for guys like Lil Wayne, Drake (when he is rapping not singing), and Jay Z (sometimes). I actually like his voice and most of his music has a great beat. Plus his hair is awesome, it looks like most basketball' players but with a twist. Anyway enough with his appearance these are my 2 (scratch that 3) favorite songs that feature Kanye West:

[YOUTUBE]PsO6ZnUZI0g&ob=av2e[/YOUTUBE]

This is probalby my favorite of his. I enjoyed the Daft Punk song that was the original (or sample to this song). I don't think he relies on the original track since it comes off sounding fantastic regardless of how much he uses it. The video is cool too. A bit heavy and just a tad stereotypical of Japanese people due to their technology but at least it isn't bad assumptions like if he were to include WW2 suicide deaths of the imperial army in the video.

[YOUTUBE]yVA-xTBeHyM[/YOUTUBE]

Believe it or not West is not the best part of the song IMO. Jay Z is the best here because like I said I find him and his voice annoying at times, however this occasion is an exception. Back to Kanye, his rap here is great, I think it goes on for too long but that really does not hurt too much. The whole warlord theme is brilliant and the visuals are great.

[YOUTUBE]HAfFfqiYLp0&ob=av3e[/YOUTUBE]

I like the energy that all of the bright light in the video bring. It is not the generic club lights that are in nearly every Hip Hop music video that centers around loving a girl. The images of the police and the argument add to the feel to an already epic song. The music itself has a great beat and all of the artist especially West are great here (anyone wonder why he always grabs his head). The lyrics depict the story of a man that did something to his wife and wants to see the his daughter.. then there is a lot of lights flashing suddenly.The story of that even if it is overshadowed by the overwhelming abundance of lights.

Anyway that is my 2 cents on Kanye West.:)

Hamler Presents:
My Fav Five Kanye West Songs

5. Heartless - From Kanye's album 808s & Heartbreak

How do you follow up the smash radio hit “Love Lockdown”, with a song that's catchy enough to be burned into everyone's minds, Heartless. This song is definitely underrated. Kanye made a very bold move with this album, stepping into the unknown..and dammit, he stuck the landing. It was rap free. No hip hop. No egotistical slurs, no hoes and whatnot. 808s & Heartbreak featured an R&B style mixed with huge amounts of Auto-Tuned lyrics. Kanye called it "Pop Art". Kanye describes "Pop Art" as making pop music in an artistic way. So many people shit Heartless but there's a reason it's been downloaded so many times. Pretty much, the song is catchy. Not to in-depth to understand but very lyrical.

4. Gold Digger - From Kanye's album Late Registration

"She take my money, when I'm in need." Damn straight, going back to Late Registration's number one hit, Gold Digger by your boy Kanye West featuring Jamie Foxx. The song is heavily influenced by Ray Charles using the sample I Got a Woman (although sung by Foxx). Gold Digger has become the 9th most successful U.S. single of the 2000s which is one of Kanye's many great feats. The song kicks off with Jamie Foxx's blues like cry about a woman who takes his money when he's in need. Kanye West comes in telling stories and cautioning wealthy young men about the truobles they may face when dating a woman who likes you for your money.

Kanye's lyrics are phenomenal here. Before the song closes, there is also a caution for the women out searching for a poor young guy who has "that ambition/look in his eyes." This song might have been played a little too much on the radio for my liking but it's fun dusting off the tack and popping it in after sometime of not listening to it. Still has to be one of my fav five Kanye songs.

3. Through The Wire - From Kanye's album The College Dropout

Need I say it again? I think I do. Would you have the balls to record a solo debut record with your jaw wired shut? Well, Kanye's balls are huge and he did just that. One of Kanye's most underrated songs features samples from Chaka Khan's Through the Fire. This song seems to get little recognition on various internet sites. Through the Wire launched one of the biggest hip hop icons in the last decade in Kanye West. Without this song, Roc-A-Fella would have never signed West to any type of music deal. Now, thanks to Kanye's first hit single, he's where he is now. Through the Wire could have easily been higher my list if it had not been for the damn repeat button on my iPod. Through The Wire means so much as a Kanye fan and it's truly amazing where'd he would be without this track.

2. Jesus Walks - From Kanye's album The College Dropout

At the beginning of this thread, this was my number one pick. Sadly, it's lost it's position. But the fact still remains, the song is still on my fav five Kanye list. This song starts off great. With a nice tempo giving the song a military feel. Kanye's back up vocals start next. Then the chorus is layed down next with some auto tuned Gospel like melody. Kanye's flow is at it's best in this song featuring pitch and volume changes throughout. Here, Kanye basically explains his feelings of religion, as well as comparing them to society's perspective. In the song, he's admitting that he's made bad choices throughout his life but Jesus is full aware of those decisions and bad choices. He knows that Jesus will always be there.

Kanye then goes further telling us how he finds it necessary to sing a song on a contorversial topic that doesn't receive recognition in the genre he is in. There are songs all over the radio about sex and what not, there's really no more positive inflences anymore. He wants everyone to know of his relationship with Jesus. He doesn't want people thinking just because they may not attend church every Sunday, does not that you're not a believer. I'm not religious in anyway, but Kanye's message here is a great way to live your life. In short he's telling everyone to believe what they believe no matter how lame it may be. Great song.

1. Power - From Kanye's album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Suprised huh? First, let me say that Power and Jesus Walks are completely interchangeable and at times, often switch. But lately, I've been feeling Power more than any other Kanye West song as of late. Power's beat is fucking incredible; more so than most other hip hop songs. Kanye uses 3 notable sample when mixing up the best; King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man, Afromerica by Continent Number 6 and It's Your Thing by Cold Grits. He turned these classic songs into one phenomenal and still catchy beat that I cannot get over.

The Nation turned against him, Obama called him a jackass, and Jay Leno making him feel like a dick, Kanye seemed to vanish from the public's eye. No verses. No paparazzi. No TMZ. No Kanye West. For an amazing eight months, Kanye was no where to be found. Then, Power hit the streets like magic and Kanye fucking West was back. The beat is phenomenal but lyrically, Kanye is in your face telling the haters to kiss his ass (more specifically his asshole). Kanye fucking kills this song on so many levels that no one can touch him. This is why Kanye is so great. He comes through the hate, still high on himself, still egotastic as ever.

Bonus

The Glory - From Kanye's album Graduation

Sadly, this didn't make the cut. But The Glory is definitely one of Kanye West's most underrated songs in his entire career. The Glory samples Laura Nyro's Save The Country. Kanye shows here that he doesn't think to highly of what's going on with today's rap industry. He's doing what he does best by showing himself off to every one of his listeners. The last verse hits hard explaining how he will always stay true to himself which is rare in the hip hop ondustry these days. God I love this song.

Good idea with the Fave Five Hamler. I think I'm gonna have to rip you off real quick and post my own.

5. Can't Tell Me Nothing - Back when I didn't like Kanye that much, this was the song that started to change my mind on him. Though it's usually not something I pay much attention to or give credit for, the massive amount of swagger he has in this song left quite an impression on me.

4. Heard 'em Say -
Mostly for the chorus, which gets stuck in my head anytime I even think of the song, and the beat, which is very well put together by Mr. West. I often overlook the lyrics in this song, but they're pretty good, actually.

3. Runaway -
I remember just hearing about his performance of this at the VMA's (I think) last year. After watching it the next day, I was excited as hell for his next album (I was not let down).

2. Lost in the World -
Still my go-to song from Dark Twisted Fantasy. The use of Bon Iver's "Woods" (great song, by the way) is perfect, and Kanye just builds on it from there until it reaches a peak of awesome near the end. Great end to an amazing album.

1. Jesus Walks -
The second song of his I heard (after Through the Wire). It definitely grabbed my attention to hear such a catchy, radio loved song talking about how great Jesus is. Immediate points from me for doing something different. I'm not a religious guy, but I can feel the passion and love he put into this song, and it works exceptionally well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back