The John Tenta Memorial Invitational, Round 1: Kurrgan VS. The Giant Gonzales

Who Wins?

• The Guy in 300

• The Guy with an Airbrushed Ass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tenta

The Shark Should've Worked in WCW
The John Tenta Memorial Invitational

The following match is take place in the first round of the John Tenta Memorial Invitational, to crown the worst gimmick in the history of professional wrestling. It takes part in the Katie Vick Region, and at The TD Banknorth Garden in Boston, Massachusetts

td-banknorth-garden.jpg

kurrgan.jpg

VS.

Giant-Gonzalez.jpg

Kurrgan VS. The Giant Gonzales

The match will be contested in a standard, one fall match, with no time limit. A wrestler can win the match by pinfall, submission, countout, or disqualification. Much like the Annual Wrestlezone Tournament, there's no se way in which one needs to vote for the match. This can be done either by kayfabe, or by non kayfabe. Either way, pick a winner to advance to the second round.

Voting Ends By Sunday, June 11th

Giant Gonzalez is by far the worse gimmick. Pre Oddity Kurrgan actually made some sense. Pissed off giant foreign guy is pretty common in wrestling. 7'8" guy in a full body suit, however, not so much. Gonzalez was a big attraction that really didn't attract anything but weird glances from his ring attire.

Giant Gonzalez..

In his defense he was wrestling in a time where size could get you over to the point your move set could be shit. Looking back at his feuds/matches today I forgot just how bad he stunk up the arena.

I remember when Jackle introduced Truth Commision and I was actually intrigued with Kurrgan. What was the other 3... I think Sniper and Reacon (Bull Buchanon) were two.. can't remember the 3rd.

IMO, only problem with TC is the fact this was a time in which the company already had like 5 stables if not more going on. That many stables with only 2 hours to work with made it almost impossible for them to get over in the long run ..

Giant Gonzalez by far the worse gimmick..

Giant Gonzales. He got a feud with The Undertaker and that wasn't even anything to brag about. The feud was pretty awful with an awful match at Wrestlemania. He was just one big guy in a costume. Something that makes me wonder how he actually looked beneath that. But I fear it might be worse than I could imagine.

Kurrgan didn't accomplish anything at all neither. Giant Gonzales got a better feud. Kurrgan got shit. I guess from accomplishments and such Kurrgan would be the winner. But I simply cannot stand Giant Gonzales. So that's enough for me to push him through.

I honestly don't mind Giant Gonzales. I mean, in the context of 1993 WWF, he kinda makes sense. Back when wrestling was basically a massive cartoon, a 7 foot 7 guy is pretty impressive. And I don't think the infamous WM IX with Taker is that bad. I can't defend the costume though, that thing was just preposterous. Apparently the guy's got a lot of health problems now, he's in a wheel chair full-time I believe, feel bad for the dude.

So I'm gonna vote Kurrgan. One of those "who's that guy" wrestlers that accomplished truly nothing. Who the fuck were the Truth Commission? Although he's not all bad, apparently he legit punched Robert Downey Jr in the face once. I can concede that's more than I will ever achieve.

I would have to say that Giant Gonzales had the worst gimmick out of the two imo, that body suit was just horrible, and he shouldn't have wore it, I always wondered how he was able to walk around in it for a while. He should have stayed in Wcw.

Kurrgans character I never really paid much attention to, I never really noticed him that much in the Wwf/e, so he's gimmick didn't really stand out to me.

My vote goes to giant Gonzales.

Not that Gonzales was much better in WCW as El Gigante but he was slightly better due to lack of fur. WCW just made the mistake trying to make him a face. Humungus guys who can't speak English and can't wrestle should just be monster heels with a good manager who wrestle quick squashes.

Kurgan was "The Interrogator" in the Truth Commission. The funny thing about the TC was that it could have worked if the left Kurgan at ringside to scare/interefere to help them win matches, have Reacon start every match and Sniper score the win with one move. Oh crap, I'm starting to think like a WWE writer. I guess I should say that if there weren't DX, THe Nation of Domination, Los Borricuas, The Disciples of Apocalypse, Ministry, Corporation, and that ill-concieved "NWA" invasion. Then they could have settled into at least a comfortable tag run.

I give Kurgan bonus points for having Jackyl as the manager though. He was always encourging us to Jackyl Off. :)

Giant Gonzales was just lame, Kurgan was actually pretty cool and a believable monster. Call me a schmuck, but I enjoyed the freak show that was the oddities, they were fun and light hearted.
Harvey Whippleman was a horrible manager that made me click the channel, and was only convincing with the bully, so that took even more away from Giant Gonzales.

Never saw the hate for Giant Gonzales. Sure he was slow and plodding but wasn't the Undertaker that in his first few years. Their WM 9 match was all about Undertaker trying to slay the giant, a story that has been done many times before and plenty times since.

Giant Gonzales. He got a feud with The Undertaker and that wasn't even anything to brag about. The feud was pretty awful with an awful match at Wrestlemania. He was just one big guy in a costume. Something that makes me wonder how he actually looked beneath that. But I fear it might be worse than I could imagine.

Kurrgan didn't accomplish anything at all neither. Giant Gonzales got a better feud. Kurrgan got shit. I guess from accomplishments and such Kurrgan would be the winner. But I simply cannot stand Giant Gonzales. So that's enough for me to push him through.

exactly Ferb, exactly. it was almost a random guy in a costume :wtf: I mean, IMO he had a great name "Giant Gonzales". when you heard the name, you expected I don't know, a MONSTER maybe? but then this guy came out wearing a suit!? pathetic, lame, silly, ABSURD amongst many other adjectives.

and the match against Taker:disappointed:... at least it continue the streak. but I insist, A GUY IN A COSTUME!!!!how the fuck are you going to get intimidated by that? what an asshole...

Im going with Gonzalez here because he was worse that Kurrgan (as hard as that is to believe) and he got a pretty huge push coming in with his feud with Taker. This guy doesn't deserve to wipe takers ass let alone wrestle him on the grandest stage of all (which brings me to my next point. WHY was he on a Wrestlemania?). This guy wins because he was shoved down our throats and he deserved NONE of it, this guy was the worlds worst wrestler (who even at 7'6" couldn't get more than 2 feet height on a chokeslam) and didn't deserve his push or to even be in the ring at all. They were both bad, but at least Kurrgan wasn't shoved down my throat, he was just there and even was a little entertaining while in the oddities, Gonzalez was just an abortion.

Giant Gonzales sucked and his ring attire was even worse. He's terribad.

Kurrgan wasn't that bad actually. He was ok with the TC but he was pretty entertaining in the Oddities.

I admit I’m a little more tolerant than most of bad gimmicks. It’s probably because I started watching wrestling as a little kid a long time ago. There were a lot of bad gimmicks during my childhood so I just kind of accepted that that’s how it was. I didn’t think Giant Gonzalez was that bad. Sure he sucked in the ring, but what did you expect? Besides, this is about gimmicks not in ring ability. I’m not going to completely defend the gimmick (how can I with the bodysuit?) but he wasn’t as bad as people make him out to be. His debut at the Royal Rumble was pretty cool and it definitely made me want to see him vs. Taker at WM9. I knew it wasn't going to be a pretty match, but at least it was intriguing.

Im going with Gonzalez here because he was worse that Kurrgan (as hard as that is to believe) and he got a pretty huge push coming in with his feud with Taker. This guy doesn't deserve to wipe takers ass let alone wrestle him on the grandest stage of all (which brings me to my next point. WHY was he on a Wrestlemania?). This guy wins because he was shoved down our throats and he deserved NONE of it, this guy was the worlds worst wrestler (who even at 7'6" couldn't get more than 2 feet height on a chokeslam) and didn't deserve his push or to even be in the ring at all. They were both bad, but at least Kurrgan wasn't shoved down my throat, he was just there and even was a little entertaining while in the oddities, Gonzalez was just an abortion.

I don’t see how he was shoved down out throats. He had a good debut at the rumble. He feuded with Taker and got a match with him at mania. He had a rematch at SummerSlam, which I don’t think was the original plan anyway. I think Mr. Hughes was supposed to be Taker’s opponent and Gonzalez was a substitute. Gonzalez was gone shortly after SummerSlam. I wouldn’t call an eight month run consisting of one feud and rare in ring performances being shoved down our throats.

I don’t really have anything bad to say about Kurrgan either. I probably would have left both these guys off the brackets but to each his own. This is a coin toss for me. Since I'm on the fence I'm voting Kurrgan because I think Gonzalez is getting more hate than he deserves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back