The Fairer Flair

Mustang Sally

Sells seashells by the seashore
The Wrestling Observer reports WWE has signed Ashley Fliehr Johnson to a developmental contract. She is the daughter of WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair.

Good Lord, what's next?:wtf:

On the one hand, someone like Nattie Neidhart following in her Dad's footsteps was one thing; Daddy Jim didn't have an overbearing personality his child needed to measure up to in order to succeed.

But how do you follow Ric Flair? Consider his son David; even without comparisons to his famous father, David would have been considered bland and uninspiring, both in the ring and out. He would have had to be an ultra-exceptional performer to have a chance to be measured on his own merit. He wasn't.

At the same time, if Ashley isn't bellicose and loud, what's she going to be as a wrestler? A technical marvel? A bathing suit beauty more fit for Caribbean photoshoots than action in the ring?

The child of a mega-star who chooses to follow their parent in a profession may have an in when applying for the position, but man, once they're in there, they've got the weight of a legacy on their shoulders......and when the parent is Ric Flair, it's going to take more stylin' and profilin' than most wrestling hopefuls can handle.

Shout out a "Wooooooooo!" to Ashley Fliehr.

flairt.jpg

Given the overall state of the Divas in the WWE, I'm not expecting Ric Flair's bouncing baby girl to set the world on fire. She's been signed to a developmental deal and might wind up spending the next several years in FCW before heading to the main roster, if she ever makes it to the main roster at all.

Without a drastic change in the overall use and direction, or lack thereof, in women's wrestling in WWE, she's not going to be anything special. Her last name alone would probably be enough to secure her a push and a Diva title run.

Hate to sound cynical, but I think this is more a play to resigning Flair than anything. If his daughter is wrestling he has a reason to be there, helping to train and then managing her.

Who knows she might be the next Mickie James or Gail Kim...

Wow, I hadn't heard or read anything about Ashley wanting to get into the business, this has come as a total surprise to me!

I expect she has been given favourable treatment by WWE due to her last name, but it will be interesting to see how she fares in FCW and whether she really is serious about becoming a wrestler or just sees it as a quick way to make a few bucks off her family name.

Also, WWE signing Ashley is certainly going to increase the chances of Ric Flair returning to the company, even as just a manager of his daughter if she ever makes it to the roster. Flair is a name worth having on the payroll, even if his days in the ring are over.

I say good luck to Ashley, she will be under a lot of pressure with the family name, and I hope she does well and listens to all the advise the Nature Boy has for her.

Like someone else said, this might just be a ploy to get Flair to resign with the WWE. Either way, I dont see the big deal about his daughter being hired. She should get a push as soon as debuting because after all it would be stupid to pass up on using a family history like hers to draw attention to the Divas division.

It is great that she is trying to follow in her father's footsteps by giving the WWE a try. I highly doubt she will become legendary like him, but her family history should be enough to warrant an initial push. The rest is up to her. Granted, the divas division would be MUCH easier to dominate so if she does have the skills needed to live up to her father's legacy then perhaps she will capture several titles of her own.

This happens with every legend's child though. We should not compare her to her father and just wait to see how she does. Maybe she will suck, maybe she will be great. There is no point in doing intense levels of speculation when she only just started. I wish her all the best of luck and if she makes it to Raw or Smackdown then I will be watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back