The Doors: What would've they been?

TSG

Too Sweet To Be Sour
As some of you (Xfear in particular), The Doors were a rock band, what most classify as psychadelic/acid rock, from 1965. They were formed by frontman Jim Morrison. They released 6 studio albums with Morrison and had many succesful hit songs. Sadly, Morrison died July 3, 1971 in Paris, of what was declared heart failure. An autopsy was never performed, though, and his death has been shrouded in controversy. They released 3 more albums after Morrison's death before breaking up the band. The Doors are considered today one of the most influential, controversial, and greatest bands in rock history.

But, say on that faithful day of July 3, 1971, that Morrison wouldn't have died in a bathtub in Paris. What do you think they would've done. I think that Morrison would've had to get ahold of his full faculties before the band performed live again (in the past few years Morrison had some mental breakdowns on-stage and had been under pressure with the "Miami Incident" and other legal problems;after what ended up being the final Doors public performance the band decided to end performing live) I do think that they could've recored many more great songs and eventually return to their great (and controversial) live act.

That's my thoughts, what does everyone else think?

The sheer manic genius of Morrison could have provided decades worth of material for the group to record. Even after his death his bandmates took some of his spoken word poetry and dubbed it over their music to try and relive their former glory.

As for what would have happened had Morrison lived...well, that's a pretty big if. Morrison was the definition of self-destructive and if he hadn't died in Paris, he would have died sooner or later from his drug use, there's almost no denying that. But, let's just say hypothetically he cleans himself up and lives a long life. What could he and the Doors have been? Even better than what they already are. I imagine The Doors would be one of if not the biggest band on the planet through out these last few decades had Morrison remained alive (whenever a Doors "Best Of" compilation would be released in the 70s-90s, they would almost always shoot to number one). God I can't even begin to think about all of the great art Morrison and the rest of the group could have continued to give us for years to come.

This thread is a bit depressing honestly. I'm not big on "What Ifs", particularly when it involves my all time favorite band.

i think im going to revive this thread. Personally, i think if morrison had stayed alive the doors would've become one of the most popular groups ever. I'm talking Rolling Stones popularity level. I agree with xfear in that he probably would have OD eventually, but think of all the entertainment they could've provided in the mean time. I guess it's just not to be.

Morrison was a poet and the Doors are definitly Iconic no arguments there

Had Morrison lived and got clean I think they would have recovered from the Miami incident and would have made some excellant music though I think Morrison would have also written more poetry and gone down that road too.

I absolutely agree with the thread starter. If Morrison had lived longer than the band could have made many more great songe because he was extremely talented. They would have released a few more albums, but the inevitable would probably have still happened, for reasons already pointed out in other posts about Morrison's self-destruction. There cannot be a "The Doors" without him. They reformed as "The Doors of the 21st Century" and again as "Riders On the Storm" but without Morrison there is no "The Doors". Not even a name change can help them be as good without him. That would be impossible. This is one of those cases when the frontman IS the band. It's a tragedy that he was not around long enough to make more great hits, I will keep on listening to their greatest hits forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back