Tribute Series: The Doors

Ty Burna

Getting Noticed By Management
Alright so I had originally done something like this for the Hip Hop Thread by creating artist profiles for artists of my choosing. Well I have decided to extend this out to music in general and I want to create some good discussion on how good a band was, their legacy in music history etc. So I'm going to start this series out with a thread on The Doors.

250px-The_Doors_band_members.jpg

The Doors

Members:
Jim Morrison - Lead Vocals and Lyricist
Ray Manzarek - Keyboardist
John Densmore - Drummer
Robby Krieger - Guitarist

Notable Singles:
"Break On Through (To The Other Side)"
"Light My Fire"
"Hello, I Love You"
"People Are Strange"
"Touch Me"
"Love Her Madly"
"Riders On The Storm"

Notable Albums:
The Doors - 1967
Strange Days - 1967
Waiting For The Sun - 1968
The Soft Parade - 1969
Morrison Hotel - 1970
L.A. Woman - 1971

Originate From: Los Angeles, California

The Doors, famous for their psychedelic rock and their lead singer Jim Morrison, were a group for only 8 years not counting subsequent reunions in later years. However in that 8 year span, they created some of the best music that I personally have ever heard. Their use of poetic lyrics and smooth and melodic instrumentals helped them create a sound of their own. Most associate The Doors with the musical genius of Jim Morrison, but it was much more than just Mr. Morrison. Keyboardist Ray Manzarek was exceptional at creating the right vibe to go along with Morrison's fluid like vocals and lyrics that could create pictures in your mind. Robby Krieger was also heavily involved with writing lyrics, having penned many of The Doors' most famous singles.

The band started in 1965 when Morrison and Manzarek met at UCLA. Manzarek suggested they start the band and soon after recruited Densmore and Krieger into the group. Initially they played at local clubs and soon they became the house band that backed up the legendary Van Morrison. They were noticed by the record label Elektra and were soon signed to a contract. They immediately started recording and came out with their Self named debut, The Doors. They had initial success with "Break On Through (To The Otherside)" as well as "Light My Fire". On the B-side of their debut album, they also released a song called "The End" which was a musical drama, a style that personally I enjoyed the most about The Doors.

They followed up with their sophomore album, Strange Days but it was not as commercially successful as their first album. During this time, The Doors met with their first controversy at a New Haven, CT show. According to the story, Jim Morrison was getting frisky with a groupie in the bathroom. A New Haven policeman who had walked into the bathroom began harassing the two. Morrison became belligerent and ended up getting maced. On stage he began ridiculing the New Haven PD before getting arrested and dragged off stage, leading to the crowd rioting. Morrison was booked on indecent exposure and public obscenity.

Sadly after this incident and during the recording stage of their third album Waiting For The Sun, Morrison developed an addiction for alcohol and drugs, causing major tension within the band. This all came to a head at a Miami, FL concert where Morrison showed a lack of interest in singing the group's songs, leading to a restless crowd. Morrison also seemed to be extremely intoxicated and also emotionally unstable as he continually had outbursts during the set. Allegedly he also showed his genitals to the crowd, leading to the Miami PD to put out an arrest warrant for indecent exposure.

The Doors ended up releasing three more albums as a full group, The Soft Parade, Morrison Hotel, and L.A. Woman. Many critics feel that The Doors moved away from their origins and started to create a more pop sound with The Soft Parade and Morrison Hotel. L.A. Woman was seen as more of a jazz infused rock album. Personally it was my favorite album from The Doors. After the release of L.A. Woman, Morrison decided to move to Paris. It was here on July 3rd, 1971, Jim Morrison was found dead in an apartment bathtub. No autopsy was ever done due to no evidence of foul play. To this day there is a mystery about what exactly killed Jim Morrison, but most seem to agree it was a heroin overdose.

After Morrison's death, the remaining members continued to tour for another three years before splitting up. Many albums containing unreleased material from The Doors has trickled out over the years. The remaining members have also had short reunions for special tours and shows.

So now I open it up to you guys.
What is The Doors' legacy in music history exactly?
What was your favorite song and/or album from the Doors?
What would it be like if Jim Morrison had never died?

Having got into The Doors in a big way recently I shall give my opinion.

The Doors mark in music history is popularising pyschedelic music during the 60s and 70s which helped influence various different artists and using different techniques for their songs. However their main legacy (unfortunatly) will be the band Jim Morrison was part of (not in a bad way) but they gained the majority of their fame because he died young.

Having only got their debut album (The Doors) I really enjoy it all of the songs are gems but my favourites are Break On Through (To The Other Side), Soul Kitchen, Twentieth Century Fox, Alabama Song (Whiskey Bar) ans Light My Fire. I have listened to Moonlight Drive and LA Women as well and these songs are exceptional too.

If Jim Morrision hadn't died they may have been putting out albums on the calibur of their first two, this in turn may possibly have made them rival The Beatles in popularity, we may have even seen some experimentation in the music that wasn't seen before (this would help with the popularity of their albums)

Ty, I am so glad you pointed this thread out in the Bar Room tonight.

The Doors are one of those bands that are truly unique. Due to the true creative genius that was Jim Morrison, combined with an amazing group of musicians, The Doors were producing music that not only was unique for it's time, but is still in many ways relevant today. However, as AA said, it is truly Jim Morrison that they will best be remembered for.

I heard a story several years ago, told by Robby Krieger I believe, that best sums up Jim Morrison's outlook on the world in general. The band was preparing to play Light My Fire on the Ed Sullivan show, and a producer approached them backstage. He told them the network was concerned about the line "Girl we couldn't get much higher." He said that if they changed that line during their performance on the show, they were prepared to book them for as many as five more appearances. Everyone agreed it wasn't a big deal and said they would change the line.

Of course, when they actually played the song live on the show, Morrison not only sang the line as written, he emphasized it. Afterwards, the rest of the band freaked out on him backstage, losing their minds because he had just blown an additional five appearances. When he asked why they were so mad, they explained that he had just them a chance to be booked again on the Ed Sullivan show. Jim's response? "Guys, we just played the Ed Sullivan show."

Morrison realized that it was more important to be true to his music than to worry about being on the show again. He knew that the people he was trying to reach, the people who would understand and appreciate his words, would care more that he took a stand than they would about seeing the band on the show multiple times. And that the one appearance would get them enough publicity that additional shows would be unnecessary, anyway.

As far as where they would be if Morrison hadn't died so young...honestly, probably where they are now. Alcohol and drugs ended The Doors long before Jim's death in a Paris hotel room. It is even possible that they would not be as fondly remembered if they had tried to continue, as they would have most likely lost the edge that youth gave their music.

I commend you, Ty, on choosing the Doors as the first rock band of this series. I can't wait to see who else you profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back