The Diving Headbutt

What do you think about the Diving Headbutt?

• It should be banned entirely.

• It shouldn't be used as a signature move in every match.

• Don't ban or regulate it.

• Undecided.

Results are only viewable after voting.

@smarkmouth

Friendly Neighborhood
"O, cruel maneuver, thou hast taken another beloved entertainer from the pro wrestling coil." - William Shakespeare

I must admit, I'm not a big fan of the banning of specific wrestling moves, but the diving headbutt has built a solid case against itself over the years. This months headline of Daniel Bryan forced into retirement is a harsh example of the danger of this move. But out of other wrestlers who used it in their arsenal, Bryan's story is one of the few that ended positive.

I can't cite this story, so I may in fact be corrected, but I recall reading a story of how Dynamite Kid, sitting in his wheelchair, asked Chris Benoit to stop doing the move for his own good. Harley Race has even been quoted as regretful for inventing the move, feeling remorse and to some degree, responsible for Dynamite Kid's paralysis. Race, funny enough, has had the least head and neck injuries out of the four men named in this thread, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the other three suffered from multiple concussions, and two of them broke their necks during their career.

Obviously, this move can't be held entirely at fault. Benoit, Kid, and Danielson also had physical styles, and wouldn't shy away from a hit either. However, the diving headbutt is a strange move, as it either looks sloppy for missing or it legit connects, with little wiggle room for error. In my opinion, the move should be dropped from the pro wrestling arsenal. Failing that, no one, NO ONE should be doing it every match as a signature move.

Finally, to contextualize my opinions, I am pro piledriver. There's so much more control to a grounded drop on your head than flinging your entire body from the top rope and making head to body contact.

What do you think about the diving headbutt?

The diving headbutt is stupid really. You are in the top rope corner and you have much better possibilites to dive into your opponent with much more impact: splash, back, knee.. Why use your head? It doesn't really make sense, except if your name is the name of the famous Spidey villain, Hammerhead. It's like a suicide bombing and it doesn't really seem that it damages your opponent more than it damages you. Silly and dangerous move.

I know that everyone uses diving splashes, thus they created the diving headbutt to make a difference, but it's the only move in wrestling were the attacker receives the same impact as the defender. Why do it then?

Wow, literally was debating making this exact same thread. Obviously, I agree with the notion that the Diving Headbutt should be outlawed. There's no need for a move that impacts the head THAT much. We've seen what multiple headbutts can do to a person and I'm not only referring to Benoit. Look at Honma, the guy's slowly losing his wit because of all the headbutts he has given throughout his career. Look at Snuka. Look at Bryan now. Every time Bryan would perform that move I would cringe just thinking about the role they played on Benoit's brain.

At the end of the day, it's a move that focuses the pressure and impact on the head and neck of the wrestler giving it. With all the new studies and info on concussions and head trauma, there's no need to have it around anymore.

I always thought the move itself suited more the Samoan wrestlers who in wrestling were known for having 'hard heads'.

Generally, I never cared much for it, I think the move (in the right hands) could be down breathtakingly well, but the impact of the head to shoulder/chest never worked for me. Getting hit in the chest/shoulder would obviously stun someone, but getting hit in the head would absolutely knock you silly.

Generally, it's not a good idea at all, especially about what we know now about what head trauma is capable of and how much harm it can do to someone later on in life. In all honesty, if they're banning chair-shots, The Flying Headbutt shouldn't be happening anywhere in the ring either. It's not too big a loss, because there are so many other moves that are capable of being done from the top-rope, sacrificing one, that can do the most damage, would do far more good than harm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back