The Dark Knight Rises vs Avengers

FlexAmerican Dynamite

WZCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION
Two superhero movies im really looking forward to this summer are The Dark Knight Rises,and The Avengers. Honestly I'll admit right off the start Im biased toward Marvel. I feel as though in the movie department they have completely owned DC. I feel as though DC is barely hanging on by a thread with the Christopher Nolan/Batman series and since this is the last Batman film in which Nolan and Christian Bale(Batman) are going to be in I feel as though DC is really losing the mainstream audience. You can argue that Green Latern was DC's next step towards a hopeful Justice League movie but that got way too many mixed reviews to call that a success. Honestly there is alot riding on the still in development Man of Steel movie(Superman reboot). If DC screws up there I believe that's pretty much there last chance. Anyway back on topic. The Avengers is basically Marvel's culmination of I believe five movies(Iron Man 1 & 2,Captain America, The Incredible Hulk even though Norton is not returning as Banner :disappointed:, and Thor). which for the most part(Thor was terrible in my opinion)really got the box office rolling. Now the question Im asking you is which one will do more of a success? The Dark Knight Rises or The Avengers? You can argue that The Dark Knight was better than all of those Marvel Movies seperately but can the Batman really take the gang of heroes all together? And if im going way to in detail I apologize, im as television and movie critic and aspiring screen writer so I can kind of ramble on.

Both movies will do very well, but TDKR will without a shadow of a doubt overtake Avengers when it comes box office gross. Batman is arguably the single most popular Superhero still going today, with, perhaps, Superman being the only one rivaling him for that title. Batman just has a mass appeal that will bring more people to the theater, & the last two Batman movies have been easily the best two comicbook movies ever made, some could argue that they're two of the best action movies ever made. Where Avengers will do well, the fact that Batman is just more of a household name & a massive pulp culture icon leads me to beleive that Batman will once again take the crown this summer movie season.

I think Marvel knows this aswell, which is why Avengers will be hitting theaters 3 months before TDKR, so as to not have to compete head on for movie goers money.

Both movies are films I would predict to be early candidates for 2012's movie of the year, no question about it. They are going to be nothing short of awesome. Avengers will see a team of heroes coming together, each with an excellent movie of their own for a backstory before they have a movie together. The only one I disliked was Captain America, but I was a little biased against it due to how cheesy I always felt he was as a superhero. Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor all had great films and I anticipate greatness from Avengers despite Captain America being in it.

Then we have The Dark Knight Rises. I personally think it will destroy Avengers in terms of how much money it makes. The Dark Knight was such an amazing film, and the interest in seeing where this series will go is enough for the movie to make a fortune. I do not expect it to be as good as The Dark Knight, but it will be a film worth watching and that's an understatement. It has a tremendously difficult act to follow, but I think The Dark Knight Rises will pull it off and defeat Avengers both in quality and financial success.

I'll be watching both movies regardless.

If Batman has been more successfull than the Marvel titles seperately then it ought to win out against The Avengers. Hulk, Thor and all the others are all watched by mostly the same core of fans anyway, the fanbase should increase for The Avengers but it wont multiply four or five times to see all the heroes together.

Not sure which I'll prefer, not really a fan of Batman (gasp) and The Avengers is in danger of being incredibly convoluted.

The Dark Knight Rises is the final film of genre defining and great superhero franchise. The Avengers is a movie in which characters from 5 average films making a bigger, but potentially, average picture. Plus the trailer of The Avengers feels awfully generic for me to care too much about it.

So The Dark Knight Rises wins this easily.

There are no factor in the Avengers that will make it a better film. As good as Iron Man was, the sequel was painfully average and the Hulk films were a step above that. The villains are going to be average and does anyone foresee anything truly dramatic happening to any of the heroes? It's going to be two hours of one liners where the heroes are put in "peril" before coming back in a dominant victory.

I am looking forward to the potential on screen chemistry between Downey Jnr and Chris Evans.

TDKR is on the other hand going to be an all around better film. Being a trilogy helps but you know there is going to be a boatload of tension and drama. We genuinely cannot be sure that Batman survives this in one piece. Sure, he will beat Bane somehow but the journey to see how he does this will be tremendous. Can't wait to see it.

I will probably end up seeing both but TDKR will be the better film, by some way.

Avengers does it for me. I know and openly admit Batman will most likely and almost undoubtedly be superior, but The Avengers has me far more hooked. It's been built up for a very long time and all sorts of shenanigans to raise interest in it has been done, ranging from 5 minute bits in the movies to set it up. The trailer at the end of Thor and Hawkeye's cameo there. Disney's rather well done cartoon series and even making a rather unrelated videogame quite Avenger's friendly (Marvel VS Capcom 3).

The Nolan films have been awesome and all, but like someone here already said, Marvel loves ruffling it's fans' feathers and I feel they've done just that in a rather stellar way that would have any Marvel fan rushing to the theater.

This is as close to a no-contest as you are ever likely to get.

Don't get me wrong, I very much like the way that The Avengers have set out their upcoming theatrical release. They have did things patiently and they'll see some sort of payoff for that. whether that comes in regards to overall quality or more money at the Box Office, we will wait and see.

Regardless, the upcoming Batman release is going to blow it out of he water. But not because it is going to be a better movie. We haven't seen both of the movies yet, so it really doesn't make sense for us to be judging them that way. but given the history of the Batman series, you would be a fool to bet against The Dark Knight Rises being the top-grossing film of this year and perhaps of all time. Batman is lucky enough to not only bring in it's core audience. But it also manages to bring in casual audiences again and again. This is not something I would say is true of The Avengers and thats where the battle will be won and lost.

Cannot wait for Dark Knight Rises. I am mos definitely going to have to catch it in IMAX. I hear it has used more IMAX specific cameras in filming than any other film. Should be superb!

Don't be writing The Avengers off in this box office battle, the original Bale Batman didn't come close to either Iron Man movie. Lets be honest here, the Dark Knight wouldn't have done close to the Box Office that it did if it hadn't been for all the free publicity that it received from the premature death of Heath Ledger and his astounding performance as Bat's most iconic foe. This time round we have a nemesis last seen backing up the hamtastic Uma Thurman in the squeamishly so bad it was quite enjoyable Batman & Robin.

Against this we have the dynamism of the Avengers. People may decry the loss of Edward Norton as the Hulk but, IMO, the two Hulk movies tried to hard to be tragedies instead of embracing the two phrases that have always been the green behemoth's calling card - "HULK SMASH!" and "Hulk is the strongest one there is!" I feel that there is a very simple reason why Batman has always lent itself better to the tortured soul story, he's human even when he dons the suit. Banner is only human when he's Banner, when he's the Hulk he's everything that Bruce isn't - restraint becomes impulse and brains is replaced by brawn.

The two sides of Banner has two great foils in this film, Banner and Stark are bound to spark in the big brains department and Thor's machismo will be itching at someone claiming to be stronger. Then we have fish out of water and Icon, Captain America trying to adapt to all the madness. Not to mention Hawkeye and Black Widow attempting to build their own legacies among such heavy hitters... I'm sure Nick Fury'll have his hands full.

Plus you have star power to rival if not surpass The Dark Knight Rises. First you have the established guys like Robert Downey Jnr, Samuel L Jackson, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson (in a cat suit;)), Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeremy Renner and Mark Ruffalo. Even deep diving the cast throws up great names like How I Met Your Mother's Cobie Smulder, The Railway Children & An American Werewolf In London's Jenny Agutter, Stellan Skarsgård (one of those "What do I know him from?" actors) and voice performances from Paul Bettany and, the original jolly green giant, Lou Ferringo.

But the biggest edge I see Marvel having over DC here is originality. The Dark Knight Rises will follow the same premise as the previous two in the series. This is the first showing for the Avengers and unlike the XMen or the Fantastic Four, they are not based around characters who have known each other for years.

Nothing is a guarantee in movies but having been a massive fan of the medium for almost 30years, I can see Batman winning the critics vote (not a certainty as The Dark Knight will be a very tough act to follow) but, without the Ledger factor, I see The Avengers triumph in box office figures provided they don't completely screw the pooch quality wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back