The Change of CM Punk

DirtSheet

Occasional Pre-Show
One thing I noticed last week when Punk beat Cena is how far he has come in the last year or so. Go back to the Slammys at 2009 and Punk lost inside 2 minutes. Not a chance and I dreaded seeing Punk face Cena because I didnt want him to get squashed. A year later and Punk has won 3 times. Yes its not clean but who cares? Punk is on top at the moment and it really is pleasing to see the change and to see Punk being pushed.

What I enjoy most out of CM Punk is that he's a complete performer. There's very little that he doesn't do well. He's made very good on the opportunities given him, and I completely agree that for a long time he was overlooked, even at times during his first title run.

While I'm sorry we're still dealing with Nexus, giving the lead to Punk was the best thing to keep it going. An extension of the SES in many ways, but Punk has thrived being the lead of a heel faction. And to be feuding with both Cena and Orton, and not made to look inferior is a testament to where he is as opposed to where he was just a short while ago.

Am I the only one that misses him on commentary?

Am I the only one that misses him on commentary?

Well ur not the only one cuz i do miss him as commentary as well
cm punk on commentary was better than josh matthews and of course michael cole

what a change since 2009 for punk
a heel turn
getting head shaved
and moving to raw

and am i the only one that noticed when punk was a commentator he was a face(fan favorite)?

CM Punk really is the total package. He is an amazing asset to the company. Great mic skills, great in ring skills etc. It takes a lot of talent in the sense that you preach about how bad drugs and alcohol are, yet you can still draw heat from it. I probably would have preferred they saved the John Cena vs CM Punk match up for Wrestlemania, but I'm sure Punk vs Orton is going to be great as well.

To achromat666, no you are not the only one who misses him on commentary. He was very entertaining and made me laugh quite a bit with his diet soda jokes and calling Cena "Grimace" lol. I think whenever CM Punk decides to hang up the boots (which I hope will not be for a very long time), he decides to do commentary full time.

I haven't hated a heel since probably the JBL days as I do with CM Punk. I am in no way comparing him to JBL or saying that hating Punk is a bad thing. I hate him because I drink and smoke and he calls people like me out on it. That's what makes him exceptional in the role he is in. I don't know if I am a fan of him being the leader of Nexus, as I would like to see Punk on his own, but I feel he is giving the rest of Nexus a great rub. The future looks nothing but great for Punk. I just hope the WWE understands what they have with him.

CM Punk is reinventing heels IMO. What he did with SES was good and it really made him a megaheel, but what he's doing now to me is better. He barely has to say anything and people instantaniously hate the guy. Heat he is getting is actually quite cool.

He was always like this though. His ROH heel stuff was always top notch, it's a big contrast to when he started in WWE on ECW. He was amazingly popular after a couple months and then he did the angle where he was going to join The New Breed. But he kept staying out of it, but it showed that he could play a heel at any time.

He just knows what to do. The words, the mannerisms, the facial expressions. Like I said, reinventing heels IMO.

Cm punk is a beast no matter what u turn him into. YOU can give him the mic were he is 1 of very few who can backup everything he say in the ring, and if not he gotta click of goons who will. So both ways talkin or scrappin he in the top 5 on any roster u put him on however you package him you gotta monster right there

I think, all around, CM Punk could wrestle circles around Cena anyday of the week and twice on Sunday. In fact, I think if the WWE would remove their heads out of Cena's butt they'd notice that too. Thing is, Punk's run won't last too much longer, which is sad because they'll once again throw Cena a bone for the sake of those children who chant his name constantly and out Punk will go, knowing damn well that he deserves to be on top right now. In fact, being completely honest about the situation, the "change" in Punk, which dates back to him starting his rants on Jeff Hardy, should garner him the WWE title. I would much rather hear Punk blast the fans for not living right than the Miz talking about how "awesome" he is. I'm tired of Miz's gimmick already----so let's give C.M. a run, and a lengthy one at that.

StunningBlackMamba24, Nope I caught that too. He seemed to be face for no other reason than because he opposed Cole's ridiculousness but he went heel again the moment he put on the tights.

Speaking of that, Even though he's not winning cleanly, I'm impressed they're letting him look as strong as he has against Cena. A lot of those matches could have gone either way without Nexus being involved. And very much looking forward to the Orton vs. CM Punk at Wrestlemania.

The WWE has a lot of strong new talent going for it and I'm happy that they have seen enough of Punk to put him in a position to make these sorts of strides.

Punk has done an amazing job. He's similar to Jericho...he's smaller, but that hasn't held him back. He did ok as a face...2 titles...but really has come into his own a a heel. He can work, he can talk, and he's still pretty young. He should be in the main even mix for a long time.

I am certainly enjoying the change in CM Punk's fortunes as compared to last year but I am certainly not surprised by it. CM Punk is certainly the best heel in the business today and the only reason why he was stuck in a rut in 2010 was because he had no one to feud with once his feud with Mysterio ended.

The great thing about him is that he could lose a match in under five minutes even today but even that would not do a thing to his credibility. He is so good on the mic that he could get all his credibility back with just a single promo.

I am certainly happy with the way Punk is being treated though. He deserves to main event more than anyone on the roster except for Cena, Orton, Undertaker and Triple H.

There was also a match he had with Cena before Nexus and SES I believe, or could be during, I don't remember exactly, but Cena did beat him but did in no way squash him. He had to give him the AA off the top rope to win.

So it really shows WWE believes in his ability and really likes his work.

While I'm a fan of Punk, this run he's been on has seemed inevitable for quite a long time; after his match with Cena where he got squashed within 2 minutes, a lot of people were complaining about how badly he was treated then, so he's been threatening to go over for a while.

The SES let him get more familiar with leading a group despite it's non-success, but it also allowed him to hone his preaching skills on the mic and really get under the audiences skin and upset their sensibilities.

Another big thing in Punk's favour right now is the fact that he hasn't held the title for a while, and as someone pointed out earlier he has only held it as a face so seeing a heel Punk with the belt would not only be refreshing but also open a wider range of feuds with the likes of Bryan and Morrison for instance.

So, his current success isn't really that surprising to me, but it's still good to see someone like him earning plaudits just now.

The first and second time he held the World Heavyweight Title, Punk was a face who won it using Money in the Bank, against Edge and Jeff Hardy. During his fued with Hardy, he became heel by saying he was straight edge and Hardy was a druggy. In the process, Punk lost, re-won and retained the title as a heel. The next month, he even retained again against the Undertaker (by cheating) before finally losing it in Hell in a Cell. So, we have seen Punk as a heel champ before, and oh was it awesome.

Ever since the moment I saw Cm Punk backstage getting interviewed, (That was how he made his debut practically), I've been a huge fan of his. Don't get me wrong, I was a fan of his when he was in RoH, but since I didn't watch RoH, only a few matches here and there on Youtube, I wasn't as big of a fan. Now that he's been in the WWE for roughly six years now, he is the one person who amazes me every time I see him. Can you believe that? Six years in the WWE already. These are his accolades in the WWE; 1x ECW Championship, 3x World Heavyweight Championship, 1x World Tag Team Championship, 1x WWE Intercontinental Championship, 2x Mr. Money in the Bank, Slammy Award for "OMG" Moment of the Year, Slammy Award for Shocker of the Year, Slammy Award for Despicable Me, and the Nineteenth Triple Crown Champion. He is the most successful indy turned WWE wrestler in my books. Now, with leading Nexus, he'll keep adding to his WWE accolades, because, well...He's better than us.

I love how CM Punk has become the top heel in the game by being so anti-Austin 3:16. When Austin debuted in WWF he was a full flesh heel and never did anything to turn face, he was a bad ass from day 1, cursing, drinking, and a rebel but he was a fan favorite but in his gimmick he didn't care for anyone not even the fans. Now CM Punk enter wwe a face and never really turned heel on his own, the fans decided to make him the bad guy because he cash in his money in the bank, which he earned. From SES & NEXUS he alway talked about good values and morals but he gets booed out of the building. I'm loving how he is proving that from the birth of the attitude era to now that most so call wrestling fans are ignorant, gullible and hypocrites.

I think C.M. Punk is overrated especially his ring skills i've watched countless Punk matches trying to see what everyone see's in him. I have yet to see it myself it's like when Punk steps in the ring he's just ok.

Nothing to rant and rave about there he's really sloppy and constantly botches his finisher. If he doesn't have a great wrestler in the ring with him he fails just like The miz remember his match with Kane last year on SD??

Punk has one thing going for him and that's his Mic work anything beyond that is horrible. :disappointed:

CM Punk has every aspect of pro wrestling on LOCK. Every part of someone's game that you can think of, Punk does better then well. On the mic, his look, his in ring skills, charisma, great finisher and more.

As more guys fall out of favor with the office. Punk remains solid. As more guys get older and bow out of the business, he moves another step closer to being "The Guy". Imagine the huge step he will take within the company when Triple H and Undertaker retire.

He is a stand up guy backstage, and isn't afraid to deal with other people's politics (so I've heard). He can go toe to toe with anyone in Pro Wrestling and still come out looking better then them. Whether it is inside of the ring, or as they are cutting a promo, Punk always does more then hold his own.

His story telling ability inside the ring and also verbally, are becoming better then everyone else out there. He will continue to get better. It is obvious that WWE knows what they have in CM Punk. He has had some great moments in WWE already, and I expect bigger and better ones in the near future!

CM Punk is one of the few guys that can take a textbook heel angle and do it perfectly. He's a tremendous actor, and he's not a bad in-ring performer. The only problem he has right now is his finisher.

That being said, I'm glad he was given the chance to take the spotlight in the absence of some of the bigger stars, because everybody knew he would shine. It wouldn't be like Kofi Kingston, who would stumble and choke in the spotlight. Everybody from the IWC to people in the business knew the guy was ready, and his heel push worked out perfectly for him.

Cm punk is overrated clearly everything he does is over looked into especially here in the iwc where he is some kind of wrestling god.

Both his title reigns were flops nobody took him serious reason why both reigns were cut short he can't carry a match. Has serious problems actually connecting with the GTS god forbid he's in the ring somebody not Rey mysterio. Oh wait he broke Rey mysterio's nose and a few others with said sloppy finisher. Let's not mention his ECW days when he first came to WWE he wrestled like a rookie. So you're telling me he's a vet??? With his horrible in ring track record.

Ignore the facts all you want he's a glorified mouth piece nothing more since WWE is all about awful wrestlers with good mic skills being ''top'' guys.
Miz ring a bell?? When Punk gets in the ring and shows me he can carry a match without injuring somebody then and only then will i give him props.

If you want to call it that BTW Evan bourne was indeed injured By Cm. Punk on RAW it was not kafaybe..No matter how many reports on the internet said so yeah and he's a WRESTLING GAWD :disappointed:

Atleast Kofi doesn't botch his finisher back to back and can actually put on great matches with whom ever he's in the ring with.;)

CM Punk equals best heel the wwe has today. He can garnish heat simply from his lifestyle, and claiming that because if it, he's better than you. He works his gimmick perfectly, and does it in the ring, as well as on the mic. He can play the heel role of running, attacking, falling behind, managing a sly win. He does it well, and with Nexus, there are so many more ways for them to interfere, it seems constantly legit. He has come far since his IC title bouts against William Regal.

I can't believe how much Punk has done in a short time, from jobbing to the Big Show 3v1 to getting beat every week, basically being made to look as weak as possible to pinning and taunting Orton, beating Cena, etc.

He's actually extremely lucky he got injured, I think that commentating job put him front and center.

Punk is definitely overrated by many in the IWC but he is still one of the better wrestlers on Raw right now. His facial expressions are very good and you can feel his emotions during the match itself. He can do fear, arrogance or play the good guy and make you believe it. Overall he adds a nice variety to the main event roster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back