The Cardinals, The Yankees, The World Series - Book It

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
I'm not a big fan of the St. Louis Cardinals, but living where I do, I get quite a bit of exposure to them. With that being said, at this point, I see no way that the World Series this year will not be between the two teams with the most World Series titles.

Since the Cardinals traded for Holliday, they have been red hot. The additions of Holliday and DeRosa have added punch to a previously suspect lineup. Chris Carpenter and Adam Wainwright are BOTH contenders for the Cy Young, and form arguably the best 1-2 punch in baseball. Throw in Joel Piniero who just threw 8 innings of 2 run baseball (who has had a very good year), the John Smoltz acquisition (which lead to 9 strikeouts in 5 scoreless innings, as well as 7 straight K's), and you are looking at potentially the most fearsome starting rotation in baseball.

Since Alex Rodriguez's return to the Yankees, they have had rather ho-hum record of 65-32 and have vaulted to the top of the American League. They are second in runs scored in the majors, and have a team BA of .280. While their pitching may not quite have the glamor it did of a decade ago, they do have a true #1 starting pitcher and a closer who is still one of the best in the game.

While the Phillies are good, the Rockies hot, and the Angels underrated, I see no way these two teams don't end up together in the World Series.

So, how do you think the World Series between these two teams will turn out? Or do you see another team making the Series instead of these two?

This is the strongest the National League has been in a while.

I do begrudgingly agree that the Yankees have to be the favorite in the AL, but I wouldn't lock the Cardinals in yet.

I am an Astros fan, and that's not happening. I hate to admit it, but I do like the Cardinals. Albert Pujols is this generations Ted Williams, and if he keeps this up for five more years, we will have to start putting him in the best hitter ever argument. To put up the numbers he does, in today's game, it's remarkable.

I would, however, have to pick the Phillies. Pitching wins in the post season. The Philles can trot out Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Brett Myers, and Pedro. For a change of pace, Jamie Moyer can start or come in late to throw 37 mph fastballs that somehow have been sneaking past hitters for the better part of a half century now. Their infield has three hall of famers, and the outfield started the all-star game.

Yet the Phillies have a mediocre bullpen. Lidge has like 9 blown saves, a 6.75 Era, he has given up more hits than innings pitched, he has been throwing the ball everywhere but over the strike zone. In my opinion you need to have a good complete pitching staff to win in October, and the Cardinals have that. Like Sly said, Wainwright, and Carpenter are both Cy Young Candidates, plus the back end of their rotation is one of the best in the games. Plus there bullpen is pretty good. Franklin has been a very good closer this year and the pitchers in front of him are solid. So I give the edge in the NL to Saint Louis. They have Pujols and with the addition of Holliday only made them better.. Since he is hitting well, everyone else around him seems to be playing at high level.

Philly and STL match up pretty well, but I give the edge to STL. I just think they are a more complete team...

Great to see if The Yanks will finally make it back to the WS after years of buying a all star cast in free agency. Cheating does pay off I guess...No im not a Red Sox fan.

I haven't been paying too close attention to the AL this year, but I love the Cards chances in the NL. They have the best player in baseball, Albert Pujols, 3 great starting pitchers, Adam Wainwright, Chris Carpenter, and Joel Pinero, and a bunch of great midseason acquisitions: Matt Holiday, Mark DeRosa, Julio Lugo, and John Smoltz. Add in a career year from closer Ryan Franklin and rookie of the year candidate Colby Rasmus and you have the best team in the National League.

Actually, come to think of it, I am not sold on the Yankees just yet. I know the Angels have the tendency to choke early in the playoffs, but they are playing great ball and I believe they are not at full strength. They have underrated pitching, there hitting is solid and isn't Hunter still injured? That offense has the potential to be very scary come playoff time. I know the Yankees have a better team but I would not count out the Angels...

Actually, come to think of it, I am not sold on the Yankees just yet. I know the Angels have the tendency to choke early in the playoffs, but they are playing great ball and I believe they are not at full strength. They have underrated pitching, there hitting is solid and isn't Hunter still injured? That offense has the potential to be very scary come playoff time. I know the Yankees have a better team but I would not count out the Angels...

The Angels are Yankee killers, professional ones. I couldn't tell you the last time that we won in Anaheim. Unfortunately for the Angels, well, they can't win against anyone else in the playoffs. As it stands, they would go on to meet the Boston Red Sox in the playoffs, and I'm convinced that Beckett and Lester can shut down Lackey and the Angels. The Yankees have handled the Tigers this year, so we'd see Sox/Yankees again, and we all know how that's been going lately.

Back to the Angels... They've been playing very good ball. Their whole team is hitting above .300, save for one or two players. Their offense is very dangerous, even without an MVP caliber player in the line-up. I'm not sold on their pitching. John Lackey is their ace. Does that speak to you like it does me? I wouldn't want to have to rely on John Lackey to lead a team in the playoffs... ever. Their bullpen is mediocre this season. The Yankees and the Red Sox are both better geared to succeed down the stretch, and in the playoffs. I won't even mention that the Angels play in the weakest division in baseball. Maybe I will.

Long story short, the Yankees are on fire. They're simply better than anyone else in the American League, and will win the pennant.

Love them or hate them, the Yankees definetly are the best team in baseball right now. It seems like they put up at least 10 runs every game. Their pitching has been decent this year, which is all it needs to be, and Hughes and Rivera make it nearly impossible for an apposing team to score in the last two innings.

The Angles are the only team in the AL with a chance of knocking off the Yankess. They have their number in the past and all nine of their starters are hitting over .300, which is incredible. Their pitching isn't as great as it's been in the past, but Lackey, Santana, and Weaver are all respectable. If they can make it to the ALCS, I think they have a good shot of knocking off the Yanks.

The Cards have to be the favorites in the NL. As you said, a great combo of dominant starters and the combo on Holliday and Pujos, arguably the best back to back hitters in the majors. They do have a lot of young guys getting significant at bats, but I think they are still good enough to win it all.

However, if the Giants make it into the playoffs, they will be tough to knock out. They have the best top of the rotation in the majors, which is really dangerous in a short series. If their bats can get hot at the right time, I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a run to the WS.

As much as I hate the Yankees, they have got to be the favorites to win the AL. Putting Phil Hughes as the setup man was probably the best decision Joe Girardi will ever make as a manager. Hughes has been phenomenal for them.

Their rotation that payed so much money for is paying off now as C.C. is once again playing great in the 2nd half, Burnett has been solid all year, Pettitte is doing his job, and Joba has been pitching well also.

In the National League if the Giants make the playoffs my money is on them to make the World Series. Yes I know there hitting absolutely sucks, but in playoffs PITCHING wins championships. They by far have the best rotation in baseball. Lincecum and Cain are almost unhittable. Now with Brad Penny who was once a Cy Young contender in the NL West and has a grudge against the Dodgers is a perfect pickup for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back