That Wyatt segment

Well considering the crowd did their best to bury the segment, I think it got over pretty well. Love how when the single voice was singing in the dark, the whole crowd was singing along, but when the lights turned on and revealed the choir, the crowd started chanting NO because "kids aren't cool" or something or other... (Sorry I'm ranting but for some reason I had a big problem with that St. Louis crowd). The segment would have been a lot better had the crowd been into it, but it was still pretty awesome. Nowhere near boring imo and was probably the best mindgame we've seen played on John Cena in a long time, if not ever.

bray wyatt has been very good. the problem, i have, is when the crowd started singing it at mania, i was floored. but know that wyatt is asking the crowd to sing it it is not as good. if the crowd sing it on their own, thats the best. but dont ask them to with yov every night it takes away from it to me. their feud has been really good otherwise.

If some feel that Bray Wyatt is boring, well more power to 'em. For all the various claims about wanting something fresh and different, I don't really see how any act could be more fresh or different in wrestling right now. Bray Wyatt ultimately did what he's done best since he arrived: using his character to help tell a fun, interesting story. The little rendition of "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands" has sort of taken on a life of its own and when you consider the simple lyrics of the song itself, which includes a verse that says "He's got the little bitty babies in His hands", then bringing out all those kids dressed in black while wearing sheep masks plays along perfectly with the aspect of Wyatt being this demented cult leader that's "brainwashing" people. Cena's reaction, in my opinion, played along perfectly with the theme when you consider how important kids are and have been to his persona.

Was it a little on the creepy side? Sure it was, but it's supposed to be. Being creepy is one of the stereotypical calling cards of any cult leader. When's the last time you read or heard about a cult leader who didn't come off as deranged?

Jack, let me start by telling you that I think you're the best poster on Wrestlezone, your comments are always perfect, right on the money, well written and respectful. Props for that.

Your comment is exactly what I was going to write.
People complaining the segment was creepy, well WWE is hoping that everything Bray does IS creepy.

The kids represented Cena's public. It represented the Cenation, the make a wish kids, the people who never give up. Aldo I don't think Cena is a good actor I could understand the emotion he was trying to share with us during the segment. "Bray is taking good kids, my kids, and is turning them into monsters"

One thing that wasn't talked about in this thread,
I assume it was the goal but can't be sure : Cena was being booed at first, but Bray was the full blown heel at the end of the segment. People were cheering for Cena. I don't know how they're going to play it out this sunday but I got the feeling that the goal was really to show Bray as a full heel and kill the positive reaction he gets. Let's see if the crowd follows on sunday.

I love Wyatt but that segment wasn't great to me. Especially because Sky Sports cut to commercial while the kids were on stage with no sign of the Wyatts and when it came back he was in the chair with a kid on his lap laughing. Watching the replays didn't do much for me.

The segment would have been better under other circumstances. John Cena has gone through the same old shit for years. He fights for his legacy, the bad guy brings up the fact the audience hates him, he brushes it off, they try getting into his head, he beats the bad guy, acts like nothing happened, and moves on despite the fact he showed 0 net character growth and the audience still chants the same way.

This is even worsened by the fact that John Cena already beat Bray Wyatt. So him showing fear or insecurity or w/e is just illogical. It would be different if Bray was the one who challenged him to a Steel Cage match saying he needs that stipulation to beat Cena. But nope, it was Cena who came up with it. He pretty much wants to keep beating up on a punching bag he's already busted open.

This segment should have been done in March, instead of now, when Bray Wyatt is already the loser who "doesn't care about wins and losses" and John Cena is the almighty hero who beat him and SAVED HIS LEGACYYYYY at WrestleMania.

So what? He taunts him with little kids and then escapes the cage at Extreme Rules? Is that supposed to affect Cena in any way? We've already been through this. Cena is going to brush it off, keep wearing the same merchandise, giving the same "love me or hate me" speeches, and acting like nothing's changed. And that's because NOTHING'S CHANGED.

I truly think,that some folks on here troll and hate because they A:Think their funny or B:see Reason A. That segment,wow was pure genius.. It started out with one little voice singing that song,then you hear multiple voices.. It was very spooky with all the kids singing that song to Cena..

An awesome segment no doubt.. Bray is in Cenas head more so than any other competitor has been. Bray goes over in this match he has to. Give me the last time a cult leader was not a bit deranged? Hell Bray has a certain charisma to him,he is awesome at doing what he does.. (Hope that sentence structure was okay).

Personally I loved it. It was creepy, and it was uncomfortable to watch. But that was the point. They wanted to show kids following Wyatt and make you feel uncomfortable about it. That was what it was about. Everyone can love it or hate it if they choose. Im not posting this to say that your wrong if you didn't like it. For me, it was a highlight. I like creepy characters in wrestling, and that's just what Bray is.

Personally I thought the segment was the perfect end to the build pre PPV.

People seem to be missing the subliminal message within the segment, Cena knows his fan base is mostly children and for wyatt to have children surrounding the ring wearing the sheep masks is suggesting to cena that wyatt might actually have the whole world in his hands and that possibly cenas legacy could be at threat.

Granted the segment could have played out better, if they wanted the singing and children in sheep masks why not have wyatt appear on the tron singing the song, without the choir singing or on show, lights go out whilst bray still sings, the choir joins him whilst the lights are out. Then when the lights come up it is exactly as it was at the end of the segment. The ring surrounded by the mask wearing children and wyatt sat in his chair laughing with a child sat on his lap wearing a mask. We could have possibly got an even better "shock" reaction from cena if nobody saw the children pre-masks.

All in all it wasn't the worst segment I've ever seen but it certainly could have been played out better for a more shocking reveal of the children to add to the shock value

I truly think,that some folks on here troll and hate because they A:Think their funny or B:see Reason A. That segment,wow was pure genius.. It started out with one little voice singing that song,then you hear multiple voices.. It was very spooky with all the kids singing that song to Cena..

An awesome segment no doubt.. Bray is in Cenas head more so than any other competitor has been. Bray goes over in this match he has to. Give me the last time a cult leader was not a bit deranged? Hell Bray has a certain charisma to him,he is awesome at doing what he does.. (Hope that sentence structure was okay).

thats whats wrong with fans on here, no one is allowed to have a different opinion without being called a troll. i didnt like the segment, the kids were dumb, it was a dumb idea and couldnt make bray any less intimidating. before peopl go "you dont get it" yes i do, wwe tried to make bray look creepy but the song, especially being sung by children is anything but. i hate that song, we had to sing it in preschool, hated it then, hate it now.

I just posted in a thread about Bray's character getting old and how I disagreed as long as he could mix things up and throw in some new exciting segments, well this is just that. This is what makes Bray so unique and special, it was done so well and the whole segment was just plain eerie with all the kids getting involved and then putting on the masks. It's edgy for WWE in this day in age and definitely grabs your attention in some kind of way, and short term in further played to the idea that Bray in in John's head and is winning the mental aspect of the feud. Excellent stuff from Bray and WWE on this one, a great Raw moment for years to come.

I think the idea and concept of the segment was good, but I think they could have executed it in a much more creepy way. The way the kids were singing way just to soulful for it to have any sort of creepy factor, and the fact that you could very clearly see the kids hiding the masks behind their back as they sauntered to ther ing kind of took away from that piece as well.

I think the segment went on for too long. Cena gave a lengthy speech that did a good job showing his frustrations with the crowd and with Bray. After that, the segment started to exhaust the crowd and by the time the kids were shown, most of the people seemed to want it to end. I agree with Ry.the_Stunner that the soulfulness of the "lead" girl singer took away from what could have been done in a creepy way. It should have been a dreary sounding version of the song instead. Bray didn't say anything (if you don't count singing/coaching) so I don't fault his role in the segment.

I love character-acting in pro wrestling. You really get to see the actor grow into the character. So because of this, I hope Bray is forced to stay in this role. I only imagine him getting better and better with more years under his belt. That said, I'm really irritated with the notion that people who have unpopular opinions are trolls. Coincidentally, I think that people who claim that others are trolls are actually exhibiting "trollish" behavior because they're making passive comments only to comically manipulate a responder to react a certain way (under the guise of "calling them out").

Everyone is entitled to an opinion no matter how immature. All the power in the world to those of you who didn't enjoy what I feel was one of the best moments in wrestling over the past decade. If you couldn't enjoy that then I don't know how you could have sat through the mundane PG era. Hating on Bray Wyatt and wanting what instead? Ted Dibiase Jr pushed to the moon? Bring back the shitty Nexus? Have Miz headline Wrestlemania? People there is nothing to complain about when it comes to the Wyatt Family. Of course all some of you do is complain. I remember you all when the Vince vs Austin angle started. You all hated the NWO and despised Hogan vs Rock at WM 18. But you all just loved Cena rapping and the big bad Nexus. Anyway we 're all entitled to like or hate what we want. It boggles my mind that someone, anyone could hate on pure brilliance which was the creepy kid segment. But then again some people aren't intelligent enough to understand the symbology and meaning of the moment. Instead of seeing it and making sense of it..instead of seeing the evolution of the Cena character ..some of you just want to be contrary. I battled many of you for years here when you were all defensive of the stale product. Now that it's been spiced up and WWE is finally entertaining every segment, it's the other way around. Bray Wyatt is a HEEL. He's not singing the 'whole world is in his hands' so you'll enjoy it. He's singing it for the children marks (or child-like adult marks) to generate a response. For kids and immature rationalizers that is heat. For those of us who can recognize and appreciate a great heel, it generates praise. So hating Wyatt and that segment Monday is more indicative of taste. If you are easily entertained by paint drying or uncharismatic, chiseled Zigglers, then you probably didn't like the segment or anything to do with The Wyatts.

I've made two interesting observations about all this. Most of those who loved the segment state it was the best one in years and of the decade. These posters seem to be able to refer back to past amazing moments. Back when every 15 minutes of RAW was watchable back in 2002 and before. The haters, however, don't seem to have that ability to remember back. That brings me to my last point. We all remember brilliant moments in wrestling history but with different views on what we preferred . I find that a lot of posters I don't agree with (haters) have read the incessant bragging about a moment before taking that moment in live. For example, people who saw Steamboat and Savage live in the moment (with nothing in post 87) to compare it to feel differently about its brilliance than a bunch of kids stumbling on it 24 years later after it being hyped up as the greatest match on wrestlings greatest stage. It's human nature to read incessant bragging and get huge expectations. Or going into overly critical because you weren't lucky enough to watch it unfold, in-the-moment and others were. People prop up the brilliant angle they weren't expecting but witnessed live. That's the personal utility. That's the beauty. I actually didn't see the Bray-Cena segment live. I didn't hear about it after the fact and couldn't be let down. I switched over to see the RAW replay and stumbled on gold. I was not expecting something that elaborate and well done. Mind you, when the choir started singing I laughed and found it a bit over the top. That was my initial reaction. But what unfolded was pure magic. Had I not tuned in the way I did, I might not 'grasp' or 'get' what most of us have been raving about since. So I'll give the haters or indifferent among us that.

The segment would have been better under other circumstances. John Cena has gone through the same old shit for years. He fights for his legacy, the bad guy brings up the fact the audience hates him, he brushes it off, they try getting into his head, he beats the bad guy, acts like nothing happened, and moves on despite the fact he showed 0 net character growth and the audience still chants the same way.

Maybe so, but in the past said opponent never truly targeted Cena's audience. Sure, they mentioned the audience that booed him, they mentioned stadiums wishing for him to lose to men who were either "leaving the company", part timers, or even a wannabe rapper married to a [at the time] washed up pop singer... But they never targeted the children, Cena's main audience.

Now, Bray Wyatt's not only targeted them but he's taken them over. At least, that's what the segment was supposed to give off, and for me it did. It was well put together and well thought out. And no, Bray doesn't need to beat Cena. It's the same as when Kane was trying to get Cena to Embrace the Hate. Ideologically, Kane had seen the same hate and anger in John that Bray sees now. The only difference is that Kane wanted Cena to embrace it for Cena's benefit, whereas Bray simply wants to force it out of Cena to show the world the "lie" Cena has to them.

This is one of those really deep storylines, and if people don't like this storyline then I'm afraid they're just too stupid to understand it or are [as previously stated] trolling.

But they never targeted the children, Cena's main audience.

You're way off. What about all of R-Truth's Little Jimmy rants? Or what about The Rock's skit with the little kid dressed up in Cena gear? This has happened more than you're giving credit for.

Now, Bray Wyatt's not only targeted them but he's taken them over. At least, that's what the segment was supposed to give off, and for me it did. It was well put together and well thought out. And no, Bray doesn't need to beat Cena.

It's the same as when Kane was trying to get Cena to Embrace the Hate
Exactly my point. That feud was pointless and did nothing for either of them. Cena and Bray's feud will end up the same way.

This is one of those really deep storylines, and if people don't like this storyline then I'm afraid they're just too stupid to understand it or are [as previously stated] trolling.

Your standards have to be realllyyyyyy low to consider this "deep". In fact, I think only a stupid person would be convinced that this is deep. Bray wants to expose Cena? No different than any of the other countless people who've thought to do the same thing. Batista, CM Punk, Kane, The Rock, and many others have sought out to do the same, the only difference is that Bray has a flashier way of doing it.

Was the kid's segment a cool visual? Sure. Will it mean anything in the long run? No. We'll probably forget about it by next week just like John Cena will.

I just saw it, and was just amazed at how creepy it was. I thought it was perfect. Most the time I watch raw while using my phone, but I had to put it down for this.

You want to beat Cena? It isn't about him embracing the hate, it is about breaking him. That segment was a waste because you had a couple dozen kids in the stage singing with Wyatt while hundreds were in the audience cheering Cena. How is that supposed to hurt Cena? That is why Wyatt is a joke - he does things that have no real impact but he is supposed to be the master of the mind games. If you want to break him, you do things so he starts to lose his shine - interfer in matches not so he loses but so he wins by dq so you can say how he hasn't truly won in months, jump him back stage so he has to miss appearances which he hates to do, etc. Then you start to promote yourself to the kids as something better and take them away. You slowly take away everything he cares for and holds dear until he snaps. But there lies the problem - wwe will never take Cena far enough so he starts to lose his shine so instead we get Wyatt with these dumb segments which really don't accomplish anything. Even if he beats Cena, Cena is not going to fade away and in 6 months it will be as though none of this happened. And you can only push Wyatt for so long until people start realizing he hasn't really accomplished anything since he debuted yet we get the same song and dance and are supposed to be scared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back