What's with the boos?

AegonTargaryen

Championship Contender
I was just watching the first segment from last night's Raw.

Obviously, many of you might have found Sheamus/New Day segment to be awkward, boring, and even somewhat of a soporific.

So Sheamus comes out and behaves in a puerile manner and pretty much repeats what he said on last week's Raw and Smackdown- 5.15, Opportunity, etc. etc. He once again sucks up to the Authority and then says he needs to thank one more person without whom he wouldn't have become WWE WHC. And that person is "Roman Reigns"...Booooooooooooooooooooooh goes the audience.

In the past, when heels like Kurt Angle or HHH mentioned "The Rock", in whatever context, whether to demean and insult them or as contestant in a match for that show, the crowd would erupt into a thunderous applause, as if he won the title or press slammed the big show out of the ring. Now mind you, I don't mean to compare Roman Reigns and The Rock by any means, nor the times and crowds from then and now.

I simply want to know, why do you think the crowd almost unanimously booed upon hearing Reigns' name- Was it because they were totally bored and disliked Sheamus in the ring and would boo everything he said, or was it specifically a sign of disinterest in Roman Reigns or the storyline? I feel pretty ambivalent as to this, because quite a few people from the audience have been cheering Reigns lately, but what I heard on Raw was a unanimous boo at the mention of Roman Reigns.

And mind you, if this had been CM Punk from 2011/2012(face/tweener) and not Roman Reigns, I bet not only would there have been no unanimous boos but the exact opposite-Yeahs. So.

Bring it on.

Surely this is a troll right?

Reigns has been getting heat in a number of places before Survivor Series. This forum alone has been full of people explaining why he gets that heat. People like him but they don't want him as champion. It's pretty easy to understand.

The WWE fans are not happy with the product and who is at the forefront of that product and they are letting those in charge know it.

Surely this is a troll right?

Elaborate? What about it seems to give you "troll" vibes?

Reigns has been getting heat in a number of places before Survivor Series. This forum alone has been full of people explaining why he gets that heat.

Obviously, I understand that not everyone likes/wants Roman Reigns as champion. Perhaps there's always going to be a set of people who'll boo him. Why else do you think I used the words "ambivalence" and "unanimous"? Just like John Cena's entrance into any arena or during his matches, there are some who cheer and some who boo Roman Reigns, which is what I've been seeing pre-survivor series. What happened on Raw was a unanimous boo upon Reigns' mention.

People like him but they don't want him as champion. It's pretty easy to understand.

People like him but they don't want him as champion?? What planet do you come from? That's pretty much like women who say "I like you, but I can't sleep with you". The only difference being, women are like that or they just don't want to feel the guilt of having rejected a "nice guy" whom she likes(as a friend). Wrestling fans aren't like that. Explain to me how anyone could "like" a particular wrestler(with potential to be a maineventer/champion) and yet not want him to be champion?

They booed Reigns because he is limited in the ring, is being pushed over guys some sections of the fanbase feel are more deserving and because he is seen as Vince's chosen one who will get the belt regardless of what the fans want.

That answer it?

I like Roman and don't mind seeing him be the WWE champ, just as long as guys like Cesaro, Barret and ambrose get their dues.
Cesaro particularly has been in more matches than Roman. He has been in this business much longer than him. He is lightyears ahead of Roman in wrestling skills yet he is being held back.
I can see why WWE wants to push Roman as a face. He's quite good in ring, average with the mike, overplays his emotions sometimes but overall a good wrestler and has the looks of a Greek god.
But it may not work if they hold back the more deserving guys. It basically pisses me off as i'm sure it does with other fans. Hence the boos.

Obviously, I understand that not everyone likes/wants Roman Reigns as champion. Perhaps there's always going to be a set of people who'll boo him. Why else do you think I used the words "ambivalence" and "unanimous"? Just like John Cena's entrance into any arena or during his matches, there are some who cheer and some who boo Roman Reigns, which is what I've been seeing pre-survivor series. What happened on Raw was a unanimous boo upon Reigns' mention.

Then if you understand why some people boo him, why the question in the first place? Not all wrestlers, with the exception of Daniel Bryan are going to appeal to everyone, and he even had his detractors. But universally fans, from the most casual to the hardcore like Bryan.

Reigns is another kettle of fish entirely. Some feel he was pushed too soon. He didn't have enough experience to carry this company the way Cena has. And there are some who just don't like him because of the way he looks. I personally have nothing against him. I'm a fan of his and the Shield in particular, but even I thought he was being pushed too quickly and I was one of the first to say on this forum that it would damage him. I was right.

I don't give a damm about who Vince wants, I'm a wrestling fan and I pick who I like and don't like. Vince is very high on Bray Wyatt and Sheamus, I don't like either of them, but I don't sit and boo them. I just sit and say nothing when they come out. But I do get my cell phone out and turn on the flashlight just like everyone else does.

When Reigns was facing Batista at the end of the 2014 Rumble fans were cheering him. There were two reasons for that. First he was still with the Shield, and fans liked them, and everyone didn't want Batista too win. Here was a guy who left the WWE, didn't bother to come back for 4 years and shows up to win the Rumble and main event Wrestlemania. Yea, no thanks from this end as well. So naturally they cheered Reigns he was the only one left, they would have cheered anyone in his position.

Even though I already think Vince had picked Reigns for bigger things, that put him on the fast-track to success, and he has been in a minefield ever since.

People like him but they don't want him as champion?? What planet do you come from? That's pretty much like women who say "I like you, but I can't sleep with you". The only difference being, women are like that or they just don't want to feel the guilt of having rejected a "nice guy" whom she likes(as a friend). Wrestling fans aren't like that. Explain to me how anyone could "like" a particular wrestler(with potential to be a maineventer/champion) and yet not want him to be champion?

I'll leave the woman comment alone as obviously you know us better than we know ourselves. Getting to Reigns as champion, what's not to understand. People like him, but don't want to see him as champion. Again for the same reasons I laid out above. Not every wrestler who comes into the WWE can hold the belt. There are some that will never hold the title and with good reason.

I don't think Reigns is one of them. I think they should put the title on him and see how he does. This slow build and the underdog story isn't working for me and a lot of other people. He is not an underdog just look at the guy. A 6'3" Samoan who has been built as a juggernaut is not all of sudden an underdog. Have him tear through the locker room just like he did when he was with the Shield and who cares what anyone thinks. If the WWE is waiting for 100% of the fans to cheer him, he will never hold the title.

What is bothering me about this whole thing though, is the way others are getting held back just to build one guy up. Now with all the injuries we are seeing just how badly they've handled the rest of the roster to get Reigns to where they want him. So either put the title on him soon, or don't. Things aren't going to change overnight, either he will as I said before deal with the crowds and their booing or he will crash and burn. Better they find out now, we don't have much time left, the Rumble and Mania are coming up fast.

Then if you understand why some people boo him, why the question in the first place?

Oh boy. Here we go again. I'm mostly precise in my posts and yet people fail to see the point. I understand the "mixed reaction" boos that Roman Reigns gets. This thread specifically meant to ask you why was there a unanimous boo upon reigns being mentioned by Sheamus in the opening segment last night. UNANIMOUS boos. Now, don't get me wrong. Until yesterday, I thought Reigns had/has been getting mixed reactions and not unanimous boos. Hence, I'm confused as to why the unanimous boos NOW, especially since he seemed to have been getting better reactions? The whole thing has just left me confused. Get it?

Not all wrestlers, with the exception of Daniel Bryan are going to appeal to everyone, and he even had his detractors. But universally fans, from the most casual to the hardcore like Bryan.

True.

Reigns is another kettle of fish entirely. Some feel he was pushed too soon. He didn't have enough experience to carry this company the way Cena has. And there are some who just don't like him because of the way he looks. I personally have nothing against him. I'm a fan of his and the Shield in particular, but even I thought he was being pushed too quickly and I was one of the first to say on this forum that it would damage him. I was right.

I don't give a damm about who Vince wants, I'm a wrestling fan and I pick who I like and don't like. Vince is very high on Bray Wyatt and Sheamus, I don't like either of them, but I don't sit and boo them. I just sit and say nothing when they come out. But I do get my cell phone out and turn on the flashlight just like everyone else does.

When Reigns was facing Batista at the end of the 2014 Rumble fans were cheering him. There were two reasons for that. First he was still with the Shield, and fans liked them, and everyone didn't want Batista too win. Here was a guy who left the WWE, didn't bother to come back for 4 years and shows up to win the Rumble and main event Wrestlemania. Yea, no thanks from this end as well. So naturally they cheered Reigns he was the only one left, they would have cheered anyone in his position.

Even though I already think Vince had picked Reigns for bigger things, that put him on the fast-track to success, and he has been in a minefield ever since.

Agreed. I have only one thing to add though. Is there anything more ridiculously boring and unwatchable in the WWE than Ryback, Sheamus' promos, and everything Bray Wyatt is? Man I hate these. Sheamus is OKAYish besides when he opens his mouth, though.

I'll leave the woman comment alone as obviously you know us better than we know ourselves. .

This was funny! No offence though.

Oh boy. Here we go again. I'm mostly precise in my posts and yet people fail to see the point. I understand the "mixed reaction" boos that Roman Reigns gets. This thread specifically meant to ask you why was there a unanimous boo upon reigns being mentioned by Sheamus in the opening segment last night. UNANIMOUS boos. Now, don't get me wrong. Until yesterday, I thought Reigns had/has been getting mixed reactions and not unanimous boos. Hence, I'm confused as to why the unanimous boos NOW, especially since he seemed to have been getting better reactions? The whole thing has just left me confused. Get it?

Oh I get it and though I explained myself pretty well. He is getting the John Cena treatment. Seems to be the thing to do now with the top face in the company. It doesn't happen in every market only certain ones. He gets cheered here in Toronto, when he shows up. But he will always be boo'd by a certain portion of the crowd who just for some reason only known to them just don't like him.

Agreed. I have only one thing to add though. Is there anything more ridiculously boring and unwatchable in the WWE than Ryback, Sheamus' promos, and everything Bray Wyatt is? Man I hate these. Sheamus is OKAYish besides when he opens his mouth, though.

Ryback seems to have been forgotten about. He lost the IC title and has been booked like crap ever since. Wyatt, well I just don't understand where they are going with this guy and his family. He's gold on the mic, I don't think he's great in the ring, better off staying outside and directing traffic, but his feuds make no sense, and he loses pretty much all of them.

Sheamus had no momentum going in as the MITB holder. Don't know why he had it in the first place. He looks absolutely ridiculous with that mohawk and beads on his beard. When I first saw it, I thought, shit he's gone Bo Derek on us. But anyway, he's not that bad on the mic, but if they have to use New Day to help get him a reaction, then take the title off him and let him go back to where he was before, relative insignificance.

You're talking about Reigns getting booed and you mentioned CM Punk's name, a guy who has nothing to do with this topic.... Clear indication you're a troll.

The fans don't give a crap what Sheamus has to say and there's always a large number of fans who boo Reigns, or maybe the show is so shit the fans don't want to cheer for anything..

Essentially.....that. Since the advent of 'tweeners, which had a big part in the tendency of fans today to boo some faces and cheer some heels, it's created a group of people that seem to fancy themselves as unique rebels; for the most part, they claim to absolutely love pro wrestling, yet hate everything WWE, TNA and every other wrestling organization is doing. Answering them by saying: "If you don't like it, don't watch".......is frowned upon (for some reason) so we're treated every day on this forum to a bunch of good folks who have only bad to say about the product. (Whoopie! We hate it all!)

To add to that, I maintain that of the thousands who attend WWE house shows, there are a surprising number of non-wrestling fans. They're there for an evening of entertainment and don't actually know (or care) who is who.

Since their money is just as tasty to WWE as anyone else's, they're welcome to attend and root however they want. If today's "in" thing is to boo Roman Reigns, that's what they're going to do........and those fans watching on TV may hear the thunderous chorus of jeers and think: "Wow! They really hate Roman Reigns!"

It ain't necessarily so. I believe many of them don't give a tin damn about how Vince McMahon may have deigned Roman as the next Cena; it's just that doing whatever the other people in the arena are doing gives some folks a sense of belonging they long for. It's always easier to go with the crowd.

That's one theory for the booing, anyway.

We are sick of Cena. Lame superhero character for the last ten years. We were all happy he is slowly moving on and retiring. We were all ready to move on and love wrestling again....

Then Vince/WWE said they wanted to create Cena 2.0 for the next decade!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!...we all screamed! We have just suffered SuperCena all these years and you want to continue it with Roman Reigns for another ten?!?!?! NOPE!!'

We are not going to take it anymore WWE. We will boo this man to oblivion. He will never get over as a face because we don't want another Cena. We don't want superman. We don't want to watch a god bury the entire roster. We want Spiderman and characters we can relate to.

The crowd has spoken. We want people like Ambrose, Ziggler, Bryan, Cesaro, KO, Rollins and a bunch of others.

You cannot force another Cena like that on us again. You fooled us once. It wont happen a second time.

the Audience doesn't want the Samoan Cena, who's an average wrestler, has no mic skills, and is getting crammed down our throats by creative every week in and out.

Watching a 20 minute match where Roman gets destroyed, and then a Superman Punch and a weak spear (compared to Edge, Rhyno or Goldberg's) that gives him a win, feels cheaper to me than when heels pull out Brass Knuckles or etc..

The dudes been getting Booed out of the building for over a year now, remember the Royal Rumble, when he got the Rock Booed out of the arena when Rocky was face? Best bet for Vince is to just capitalize on the hate and turn the guy into a megaheel that turns because he can't stand the WWE universe anymore, If that's actually Vince's play, well done sir, if he's still hoping that Reigns will ever be cheered as a face.... Well, Keep trying to figure out why RAW ratings are down sir.

We are sick of Cena. Lame superhero character for the last ten years. We were all happy he is slowly moving on and retiring. We were all ready to move on and love wrestling again....

Then Vince/WWE said they wanted to create Cena 2.0 for the next decade!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!...we all screamed! We have just suffered SuperCena all these years and you want to continue it with Roman Reigns for another ten?!?!?! NOPE!!'

We are not going to take it anymore WWE. We will boo this man to oblivion. He will never get over as a face because we don't want another Cena. We don't want superman. We don't want to watch a god bury the entire roster. We want Spiderman and characters we can relate to.

The crowd has spoken. We want people like Ambrose, Ziggler, Bryan, Cesaro, KO, Rollins and a bunch of others.

You cannot force another Cena like that on us again. You fooled us once. It wont happen a second time.

You are well within your rights to boo and cheer for whoever you want, no one should tell you otherwise.

But did you really just say, you don't want Superman, but want Spiderman. You know a character that you can relate too. Because honestly I can't relate to either of those people, they don't really exist, they are comic book characters.

I relate to people that are walking and talking. Roman Reigns while he looks like a Greek God is not, he just looks like one. He is just as human as you and me, he makes mistakes, and will be judged as such. The guy is just doing what he's told. Do you honestly think if he went to McMahon and said, yo dude love the fact that you want me to be world champ, but no, he would ever get another shot. No one on the roster is that stupid.

You are well within your rights to boo and cheer for whoever you want, no one should tell you otherwise.

But did you really just say, you don't want Superman, but want Spiderman. You know a character that you can relate too. Because honestly I can't relate to either of those people, they don't really exist, they are comic book characters.

I relate to people that are walking and talking. Roman Reigns while he looks like a Greek God is not, he just looks like one. He is just as human as you and me, he makes mistakes, and will be judged as such. The guy is just doing what he's told. Do you honestly think if he went to McMahon and said, yo dude love the fact that you want me to be world champ, but no, he would ever get another shot. No one on the roster is that stupid.

You missed my point. The reason people love Marvel Characters is because they are human for the most part. The reason people hate DC characters is because they are gods for the most part.

One is relateable. The other isn't. You can figure it out.

How is spiderman not relateable to most of the WWE universe? He is a shy awkward poor virgin nerd with a bad job, horrible boss, lives with his grandma in a huge city stuggling to make ends meet. Sounds like the average person.

KO is relatable because most of the audience is fat. They now have someone to cheer for.

Daniel Bryan looks like you and me and we love him for it. There is nothing special about him...which makes him special. If this short bearded midgit lumberjack who is so nice and humble can do it, maybe I can someday?! .

Vs Gods(Cena and Roman), Giants(Big show) and other people we have nothing in common with. Like I said, we can't relate to these men. Wrestling fans in 2015 don't really care for the larger than life guys. We want someone we can connect with.

Sometimes we get both like Stone Cold. We can relate to him and he was still larger than life with all the crazy stuff he did.

Yeah, pretty sure they were booing Sheamus for dumping on Reigns. If you'll notice Reigns got his face pop with the Superman Punch.

I will also have to agree that the boos- in this case- were made in response to Sheamus' sarcastic thanks to Roman. Had those been aimed at Roman, the unanimous negative reception would have carried forward to his entrance and match as well, which... I don't think it did.

For the most part, there are two kinds of people that hate him.The first kind, do not want to see yet another Super Cena and wants the WWE to understand and acknowledge that the tastes and preferences of people have changed with the times. Wrestler x may be one of the better wrestlers of the world, but the typical Super Cena-routine to a match gets boring after a while. The second kind, the one which we are very familiar with, rallies behind a wrestler so long as he is 'cool', 'badass', 'held back' and an 'underdog'... but as soon as wrestler x starts getting those wins and made to look stronger than the rest, they start finding flaws in him, flaws that are either petty, or some other times, don't even exist. Roman Reigns can't wrestle, Charlotte can't cut a promo, Ambrose can't throw a punch, Daniel Bryan doesn't look marketable... same story. Next in line are Cesaro ("Vince was right, he doesn't have charisma") and Kevin Owens ("he is fat and can't move") when they get their respective pushes.

Watching a 20 minute match where Roman gets destroyed, and then a Superman Punch and a weak spear (compared to Edge, Rhyno or Goldberg's) that gives him a win, feels cheaper to me than when heels pull out Brass Knuckles or etc..

Rhyno and Goldberg- I can understand, but Edge? Man, his spear was basically a running hug and had about the same impact as that of Kaitlyn. At least Roman leaps from the ground when doing it. He has executed many powerful-looking spears over the years.. One that I recall in particular was to Big Show outdide the ring:
tYrJfoc.gif

They booed because Sheamus was being a prick sarcastically thanking Reigns.

Oh Man this is quite the revelation! I wanted to know exactly this.
Since Reigns is being cheered on every show lately(except that some do boo, leading to mixed reaction), what happened on Raw was a unanimous boo. MostT posters directly went on to attack Roman Reigns instead of reading my query which was to know why the unanimous boo upon Sheamus' thanking Roman Reigns. Thank You nonetheless.

About being a troll was exaggerating, mostly because I felt this was quite an obvious answer to the question.

It seems to be cool to Boo reigns, and in certain places, as per Cena being 100% booed in places like Chicago, sometimes the boos just outweigh the cheers so you don't hear it. You can't know everyone in that arena was booing reigns, just that the boos outweighed the cheers.

It's absolutely possible to like a wrestler but don't want him to be champion. I like Cena but do I want him as champion? No, because we go back to the same old stuff he used to do. I liked Santino, but did I want him as champion? Of course not because his character as champion would be awful. As I've read on this forum, a lot of people like reigns but do they want him as champion? Hell No, because he is being force fed to us. He is being given what we want Bryan, Ceasro, Ziggler, Rusev to get. We like Reigns but don't think he deserves the title, so we don't want him to be champion.

So, just to clear up. I am on this planet, with a pretty clear argument to back up my statement. Did I pass the test?

P.S. Let go of that hurt mate. The nice blonde from across the office won't go out with you, no matter how many times you stand outside her bedroom window staring at her getting undressed

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back