Terrible build up for Wrestlemania

MERPER

Championship Contender
So, it occurred to me we are witnessing another case of WWE being lazy, and knowing the event is already sold out and millions will watch but lets stop and think for a moment about the "Road to Wrestlemania"...

1) Other than Heyman promos, the main event has gotten zero build up. Lesnar and Reigns have only gone face-to-face once and it was at WWE headquarters during the snowed-out RAW. Way to hype the biggest match of the year, guys.

2) Sting vs. Triple H. They meet at Fast Lane to establish the match and all we've gotten is video promos since. I realize it's all about contractual obligations but way to drop the ball here.

3) Bray Wyatt vs. Undertaker. The dead man won't appear live until Wrestlemania itself. So, zero actual build up. Some cool pyrotechnics and Wyatt promos, but another match with zero face-to-face build up.

4) Orton vs. Rollins. Finally Orton turns after a slow-play that anyone with a brain knew was going to happen. At least this should provide some good physical altercations the next couple weeks...

5) IC Title match. Build up is literally carrying the shows right now, which tells you all you need to know about the current state of WWE writing/creative.

6) Andre the Giant battle royal. Snooze fest build up. Who cares? How is it they've tied NOTHING to this match so far? What's the point of it other than to make sure every "superstar" is seen at the PPV? At least have the winner get something other than a trophy. Some kind of title shot or No. 1 contender status. This is a giant waste of time right now both at the PPV and in the build up.

7) Divas match. Biggest PPV of the year and they aren't even making it for the divas championship. Would it have been so hard to do a fatal 4-way or something similar to the iC title match? Who cares about the tag team match?

8) Cena/Rusev. Instead of letting this get super heated from Fast Lane on, you go the "Cena won't be a part of this Wrestlemania" which was clearly B.S. from the start and then his submission move, which almost never looks good anymore, gets the match? Come on... USA vs. Russia on the biggest stage of the industry and this is the best you can do?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: WWE has no competition in the wrestling market so they have gotten lazy. They know the numbers will be there, and they're going to make their money so they've gotten complacent and stupid.

I disagree. Building this WrestleMania has been like making love to a beautiful woman. Rushing straight into everything and getting what you want is going to leave you feeling unsatisfied and, well, sore after it. If you really want to be satisfied, you build up to it slowly... You picking up what I'm putting down? ;)

Basically, all horrible analogies aside, the build up to this WrestleMania may be a little show as opposed to other Mania events. But that does not mean that it is going to be a horrible event. Nor does it mean that we will not be as emotionally invested in the event when it comes to the big event. Personally, I would have liked to have seen more of the part-timers on Raw; the same part time staff that the vent has been built around. But that is the nature of their contracts, I'm afraid. And if the alternative to having a slow build to a show with Triple H, Sting, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar is not having them on the show at all, then I am going to throw my weight behind the strategy of the WWE at this point.

There has been plenty of built but very little interaction between interested parties, that much I will give you. But my hope is that come WrestleMania, I will be totally willing to see these guys finally get their hands on each other. It's a risky strategy on the part of the WWE but it just might be brilliant. We shall wait and see.

I disagree. Building this WrestleMania has been like making love to a beautiful woman. Rushing straight into everything and getting what you want is going to leave you feeling unsatisfied and, well, sore after it. If you really want to be satisfied, you build up to it slowly... You picking up what I'm putting down? ;)

Basically, all horrible analogies aside, the build up to this WrestleMania may be a little show as opposed to other Mania events. But that does not mean that it is going to be a horrible event. Nor does it mean that we will not be as emotionally invested in the event when it comes to the big event. Personally, I would have liked to have seen more of the part-timers on Raw; the same part time staff that the vent has been built around. But that is the nature of their contracts, I'm afraid. And if the alternative to having a slow build to a show with Triple H, Sting, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar is not having them on the show at all, then I am going to throw my weight behind the strategy of the WWE at this point.

There has been plenty of built but very little interaction between interested parties, that much I will give you. But my hope is that come WrestleMania, I will be totally willing to see these guys finally get their hands on each other. It's a risky strategy on the part of the WWE but it just might be brilliant. We shall wait and see.

Yes, however, as i mentioned above we know there's going to be zero to very little build up for 3 major matches...

Undertaker and wyatt will never go face-to-face prior to their match...

Lesnar/Reigns may get in 1 altercation...

Sting/Triple H MIGHT get in 1... maybe none...

this is wrestling, for crying out loud... WRESTLE A LITTLE!!!

Yes, however, as i mentioned above we know there's going to be zero to very little build up for 3 major matches...

Undertaker and wyatt will never go face-to-face prior to their match...

Lesnar/Reigns may get in 1 altercation...

Sting/Triple H MIGHT get in 1... maybe none...

this is wrestling, for crying out loud... WRESTLE A LITTLE!!!

I think you're missing my point. There doesn't need to be any wrestling for the matches to be successful. I do agree with you that there should be a little more interaction but there is no way that Sting, Taker and Lesnar are going to be wanting to wrestle on every Raw heading into WrestleMania. Like I said, it's all about making you WANT to see these guys get their hands on each other. Like I also said, it is a risky strategy but I am willing to give the WWE the benefit of the doubt over the next couple of weeks and see how I feel after Mania before I pass judgement.

And as for build up, these guys don't need to be technically wrestling each other to make it a good build up. I have thought Wyatt has been doing a decent job of building the Taker match without Taker even being around or showing up. The same goes for Triple H. These are supposed to be marquee matches, having these guys show up detracts from that somewhat.

It's been a slow build mostly around the midcard. More time given to establish to the IC title, US title matches, more time to establish the ATG Battle Royal, you don't need all these main event guys, especially established acts like Undertaker, HHH or Sting taking up significant TV time.

You got a lot of younger guys facing the old guard and being relied on to carry the feud week to week. That's fine with me.

Is the build electric? No. It's strong and steady, it's not going to climax too early (tip of the hat to Dave's analogy).

They aren't giving away much of anything this year and it seems that folks have gotten spoiled, we don't need promos or altercations every week or at all. Undertaker has no personal beef with Wyatt so what's the rush? Sting vs HHH already had a face to face at Fast Lane, Lesnar and Brock already had a face to face the night after the Rumble (and will probably have another in the coming weeks), the IC title match and all the heated personal feuds are dominating the screen (Rusev/Cena; Rollins/Orton) are leading the charge and that's fine with me.

The midcard build has been pretty good. The main event build is garbage, I have no reason to watch the match. This will be the first year, since I've started watching, that I will be tuning out before the main event.

The only match I have an issue with the build is the Reigns Brock match. I just feel like it's just about the title. I wish there was a personal issue. It's like I want to see Reigns win because I'm not a Brock fan but I don't necessarily want to see him beat his ass. I don't feel like I can't wait for him to get his hands on him which is how I should feel about it. Its not bad but it could be much better.

Building this WrestleMania has been like making love to a beautiful woman. Rushing straight into everything and getting what you want is going to leave you feeling unsatisfied and, well, sore after it.

Sore? Anyway moving on. :blush:

The build up to this week was just well, ugh. But we finally have the Undertaker throwing bolts of lighting around. Sting has shown up, spoke and delivered a Scorpion Death Drop to the Authority. And we'll get Lesnar/Reigns face to face next RAW. So they are getting there. It's been a snail's pace but the finish line is in sight.

The only bright spot is the build the undercard has received. Can't wait for the IC title match and Rollins/Orton. The Battle Royal will be like any other one. Bodies will be flying everywhere for the first few minutes and then it will calm down.

The only really downer is the Uso's not being in the tag match. They are most likely the most cohesive tag team the WWE has, and having one out with an injury isn't great. The Diva's match, well, it's a Diva's match and a time out break for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back