Team Punk vs. Team Armstrong @ Survivor Series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I personally think this match would be a great idea. Knowing how WWE likes to let faces get the last laugh in a feud, we all know the war between Armstrong and Punk is far from over. And after the way Punk intimidated the official after his match tonight, I think I have a great sense of where this is going.

In coming weeks, Punk will start abusing officials during and after his matches. This will leading to them rising up and coming after Punk. This feud, which has been building since Breaking Point, will climax off in a five-on-five elimination match at Survivor Series, with Punk and several expendable heat-magnets who will blame officials for their inability to rise to the top (Imagine the promos. Erc Escobar could bring Vickie with him to say "Excuse me!", Drew what's-his-face could go on about the party being over, Mike Knox could stroke his beard, etc.) losing to a team of five referees, ending with Scott Armstrong as the sole survivor and putting him over as a force to be reckoned with. WWE wouldn't invest this much time in his character if they didn't think he was a sure thing, and something like this seems like a logical next step. Punk can come out the next week and pass it off as a fluke resulting from the team format, and Armstrong can go after Ziggler once he wins the Intercontinental Championship from John Morrison. Heck, if WWE really wants to make Armstrong a huge star in a hurry, they could get him major face heat by having him face Vince at Wrestlemania in a street fight.

So, is WWE doing a good job of building up Scott Armstrong? Where do you think this feud is headed? Will there be ref bumps?

I think Team Punk vs. Team Armstrong is a brilliant idea. I just don't think Armstrong should have refs as his teammates. Do something along the lines of Punk, Miz, McIntyre, Ziggler, and Escobar going up against Armstrong, Morrison, Swagger (since he will be feuding Miz), Finlay, and...ROAD DOGG!!! I mean he is Scott's brother, why wouldn't he come and support his brother.

You two...My how the mighty have fallen. Really? Really? Really?

Team Punk, versus a bunch of referees? This might be...No would be...Worse than Team Doink, or Team Hart, or even Lawler's Knights. The "match" tonight was a bunch of garbage, and shouldn't happen, ever. I wasn't a fan when TNA did it, so why do it now? Sure, he's a trained wrestler, but there's no need to give away PPV time to him, or any other refs.

I don't see what the problem is with getting a referee to wrestle. Santino started off as a guy coming out of the crowd and ended up really catching on. The Miz was an undercard joke when he first started and we gritted our teeth and wished for him to go away. Now everyone is creaming themself over him! Point is, you never know who the next big thing is and you should never turn a blind eye to any prospect no matter how humble their begining. Give this a chance to play out, NSL.

The problem with past referee feuds is that the company dropped the ref as a wrestler after the feud was completed. It's like what creative is doing with Carlito right now. Trust me, if they really invest in Scott Armstrong, I could see him being somebody in five years. I mean he has a pretty awesome old school look about him. Maybe he could be the next JBL.

As for their match tonight on SmackDown, it was easily the highlight of the night. Punk has a great ability to convey emotion, and Armstrong had a moment there where he seemed like he could be a great foil for the former heavyweight champ. Not to mention that Armstrong sells with sympathy a-plenty. He's almost too good to not let this play out.

Santino started off as a guy coming out of the crowd and ended up really catching on.

I must have missed that somewhere. Anyway...

Referees are meant to be seen, and not heard. If you know anything about a referee, other than his name, you know too much. You only know that when they mess up or do something amazing, and we all know they mess up far more often than they become legends.

This whole segment should just be done with, and let Punk go on to fighting real talent. I still want to know how a ref can get walked into mid-match and be out for 5 minutes, but get slapped around and land a haymaker...

I must have missed that somewhere.
He's a joke, but he's over like a motherfucker. You can't deny it.

Referees are meant to be seen, and not heard.
UNLESS they're booked to be part of the storyline. Thus, sometimes they're meant to be heard. I don't see what your problem is. Referee storylines are old-hat. They've been around for decades. All I'm hoping for is WWE doing something new with the referee storyline.

If you know anything about a referee, other than his name, you know too much. You only know that when they mess up or do something amazing, and we all know they mess up far more often than they become legends.
UNLESS they're booked to be part of the storyline.

What about this is so hard to grasp?

This whole segment should just be done with, and let Punk go on to fighting real talent.
Like who? Finaly is busy with Drew, Matt and Rey are busy with Batista, Morrison is busy with Dolph, Taker's moved on.

Punk-Armstrong is all Punk has, and if you're any sort of Punk fan than you should really hope this pans out into something major. If it doesn't, it may be time for Punk to fade into the background.

I still want to know how a ref can get walked into mid-match and be out for 5 minutes, but get slapped around and land a haymaker...
What ref has ever been knocked out from a bitch slap and a stern talking to? I know Punk probably has a mean pimp hand and awful breath (I don't think mouthwash is edge), but I still don't see it.

Yeah, a 250 pound man running you down like a train tends to topple people over... You know, like other 250 pound men. Referees don't stand a chance. But a bitch slap? Come on, even wrestling physics for referees doesn't include that one.

You mean it's not over after tonight?

I honestly don't see how they can stretch this out anymore. Sure, the fans were mad as hell with Punk, booed him from the time he came out, cheered when he got punched in the face, and booed again when he beat on Scott Armstrong a little and then gave him one of the weakest GTS's I've seen in a while.

But they were never cheering for Armstrong. I could count how many people were cheering during his entrance (it was 8). And during the match, when he got in his punches on CM Punk, they weren't cheering Scott Armstrong, they were cheering the fact Punk was getting beaten up.

I can see this playing maybe a small role in Survivor Series, maybe the ref in the match will get knocked out when it's down to just Punk on his team, and someone representing the other team, and Armstrong comes out to replace him and screws Punk. Actually... I quite like that idea, let's say it's down to Punk vs. Hardy or something, and the ref somehow get's clocked by accident and is knocked out. Hardy and Punk will brawl with no rules for a while until Scott Armstrong runs in to take over for the match. Punk will eventually hit GTS on Hardy, and go for a cover, but Armstrong will refuse to count to 3. Punk gets up to argue, starts shoving Armstrong around, threatening to hit him, and then out of nowhere Hardy will turn him around, hit the Twist of Fate, and get the pin. They can then use this to transition away from Punk saying Armstrong is screwing him to Punk thinking everyone in the WWE is out to get him. That way, we can get past the ridiculous idea of a three time world champ feuding with a referee.

Really? Really?
\ Sure, he's a trained wrestler, but there's no need to give away PPV time to him, or any other refs.

I could see it working,just dont put the whole focus on armstrong going over punk and winning a match.
Have somebody over on the roster that wont be a in his own match or build p prior to Survivor series ,like Finlay was mentioned..and give him the win for that team.

There isnt PPW time worthy for anything right now.. except with the exception of The wwe title match and the dx gags and matches that are advertised here in NZ are anything to go by.
Its a traditional Survivor series match up too might I add. And I dont see how any other 5 on 5 team build up can accumalate for anything right now.

I don't see what the problem is with getting a referee to wrestle. Santino started off as a guy coming out of the crowd and ended up really catching on. The Miz was an undercard joke when he first started and we gritted our teeth and wished for him to go away. Now everyone is creaming themself over him! Point is, you never know who the next big thing is and you should never turn a blind eye to any prospect no matter how humble their begining. Give this a chance to play out, NSL.

The problem with past referee feuds is that the company dropped the ref as a wrestler after the feud was completed. It's like what creative is doing with Carlito right now. Trust me, if they really invest in Scott Armstrong, I could see him being somebody in five years. I mean he has a pretty awesome old school look about him. Maybe he could be the next JBL.

This is a joke, right? Happy Halloween? You realize Scott Armstrong is 50, right? This has got to be one of the worst ideas ever. The only way that this should even be remotely a part of SS is as someone earlier posted, Armstrong coming out to count out Punk to cost his team the match.

Ref feuds wrestlers have provided some of the worst matches/gimmicks ever, i.e. Danny Davis and Shane Sewell. This would top them.

Ref feuds wrestlers have provided some of the worst matches/gimmicks ever, i.e. Danny Davis and Shane Sewell. This would top them.

Don't forget the Tim White death one. hahahaha

Anyway... I'm in agreement with everyone else. A referee taking up PPV time on one of the 4 major PPVs of the year is superfail. It just can't be said any simpler than that. Whoever said "refs are meant to be seen, not to be heard" got it correct and as simple as possible.

Ummm.....This would be......HORRIBLE. Scott Armstrong is a referee....CM Punk is a 3 time World Heavyweight Champion, and the future of the WWE. They didn't have that match on Smackdown to help Armstrong get over in the slightest, they did the match to have CM Punk get an incredible amount of heat. I'm Sure Scott Armstrong will get his revenge, by doing a run in during some elimination match while a ref is out, and not making the count for Punk, resulting in Punk's loss.....but seriously....what in the blue hell would make you think they're about to push Scott Armstrong to "Be Somebody" in 5 years. The dude is 50, he's hardly anywhere near the shape or the look Vince strives for in a professional wrestler....the idea of it is just ridonkulous!!. There's a reason Scott Armstrong never became a wrestler....but worked as a ref.....because he just wasn't that good! Let's be honest here! The match on Smackdown WILL NOT lead to some uber awesome feud between Punk and a Ref, where the ref actually stands a chance, it will amount to a little more than nothing, and Punk will go on to fued with some young face, more than likely Morrison, as Vince loved their work together "See matches 1-6" when the new year rolls around. Until then, Punk is on a journey for heat...and this is his best way to get it. NUFF SAID!!

In no way would I pay to see a team of referees fight. Isn't Scott Armstrong 50 as it is??? The only time that I found a ref, wrestler story decent was with Ric Flair and little Nature Boy Charles Robinson.
Cm Punk is way too good to be wrestling referees. All the match on Smackdown does is put more heat on Punks character and possibly he'll get screwed down the line. I can't see how anyone could compare a ref and the Miz. No comparison.

You two...My how the mighty have fallen. Really? Really? Really?

Team Punk, versus a bunch of referees? This might be...No would be...Worse than Team Doink, or Team Hart, or even Lawler's Knights. The "match" tonight was a bunch of garbage, and shouldn't happen, ever. I wasn't a fan when TNA did it, so why do it now? Sure, he's a trained wrestler, but there's no need to give away PPV time to him, or any other refs.

I couldn't agree more. Putting a referee over big time is one thing, but to put him over against a guy like CM Punk? What does that do to Punk's credibility other than shoot him down the WWE ladder and make him look like a joke? This "feud" isn't over, but if this turns into a PPV bout, then WWE creative has truly gone down the toilet.

Whoever said "refs are meant to be seen, not to be heard" got it correct and as simple as possible.
How about my response to that claim? If he's booked as part of the story, referees are no longer expected to be silent and unseen.

Honestly people, referee feuds are a thing that have been done for quite a few decades. The way you people overreact is absolutely hilarious considering this is one of the many calling cards of pro-wrestling. Sometimes it's not all about headlocks, headscissors, and clean-cut athletic competition. Sometimes it's about entertainment, and ref feuds are an easy way to entertain. Couple that with CM Punk's amazing ability to connect with the audience and you have a formula for success and the chance to really make a break out star RIGHT NOW. Open up your minds people.

Also, give serious thought to the humble, absurd ways that the careers of Santino and The Miz started out. Not only that, but consider the way that older wrestlers like HBK, Taker, Finlay, JBL, Hardcore Holly, and so on can look like threats or appear tough even in this golden years. I can think of no reason why Armstrong can't be the same way.

I started thinking yesterday that maybe that was a way to bring Road Dog back if they hired him, plus Vince was talking about putting Bullet Bob in the HOF so maybe this story has a bigger purpose than Ref come wrestler

You're kidding me, right? This guy is at least fucking fifty. People talk about Hogan and Flair being horrible for business, if the WWE actually decided to push this guy, it would be the stupidest thing they ever did. Pushing a middle-aged man who's best asset is a sad puppy dog face? People like The Miz and Santino are young and in there 20's and 30's. Not to mention entertaining, but it doesn't seem like Vince cares about that judging from his recent decisions to push guys like Drew McIntyre and The Hart Dynasty. Scott Armstrong getting a push of any sorts would make me turn off my TV, and lose all faith in Smackdown's booking.

It might not be a bad idea for Armstrong to be a representative of a Survivor Series team, but to be an actual competitor? Hell no.

Remember all those Flair matches reffed by Tommy Young? How he would push Young and Tommy would push him back, or kick his arm off the rope when he was hanging on after a sunset flip (btw: why was it ever called a sunset flip? never mind)...Imagine the NWA calling for a match against Ric and Tommy. It would have been the absolute WORSE match in the history of wrestling. Having something similar but making it wrestlers vs. refs would be even worse than that. This is a rediculous idea for all the reasons listed above. I'm sorry. Bad, bad, bad idea.

Ummm.....This would be......HORRIBLE. Scott Armstrong is a referee....CM Punk is a 3 time World Heavyweight Champion, and the future of the WWE. They didn't have that match on Smackdown to help Armstrong get over in the slightest, they did the match to have CM Punk get an incredible amount of heat. I'm Sure Scott Armstrong will get his revenge, by doing a run in during some elimination match while a ref is out, and not making the count for Punk, resulting in Punk's loss.....but seriously....what in the blue hell would make you think they're about to push Scott Armstrong to "Be Somebody" in 5 years. The dude is 50, he's hardly anywhere near the shape or the look Vince strives for in a professional wrestler....the idea of it is just ridonkulous!!. There's a reason Scott Armstrong never became a wrestler....but worked as a ref.....because he just wasn't that good! Let's be honest here! The match on Smackdown WILL NOT lead to some uber awesome feud between Punk and a Ref, where the ref actually stands a chance, it will amount to a little more than nothing, and Punk will go on to fued with some young face, more than likely Morrison, as Vince loved their work together "See matches 1-6" when the new year rolls around. Until then, Punk is on a journey for heat...and this is his best way to get it. NUFF SAID!!

Uhhhh.....Actually Scott wrestled for at least fifteen years. He is from the "famous" Armstrong family that produced such wrestling jobbers as B.G. James, Steve Armstrong and Bob Armstrong (aka Buzzkill in WCW).

But I agree with the idea that this is not great hype for a wrestler coming off of a World Title reign. Better to let him just ref at this point.

i think that the refs will just revolt against punk. they start slow counts and move on to actually stop counts. if his opponent is gonna get counted out they stop. they let people go without a five count but they fast count punk. then they eventually interfere in missions. cm punk loses so much i would love it.

but no i dont think they will have a survivor series match

Dose anyone remember WWF Invasion 2001 PPV they had Earl Hebner V. Nick Patrick WWF Senior Ref V. wCw Senior Ref and it was the dumbest ppv match Ever and they want to do a Wrestler V. Ref Traditional Survivor Series Match with those two let Armstrong ref the match and have like Punk's team V's I don't know say Morrison 's team.

The only way this would happen is if it is the Armstrong family, scoot, brad, bullet, and road dogg. I would like that only to see BG James back in the wwe.

This idea wouldn't happen unless WWE was planning on surprising us. Scott Armstrong is old but then again he's younger than Hogan, Flair, Lawler and others. He is part of a wrestling family with his dad Bullet Bob and his brothers Brad and Roaddog Jesse James. If I were booking this I'd have Team Punk vs Team Armstrong Punk has his 3 or 4 guys and Armstrong can have his 3 or 4 referees or "mystery partners". Then at Survivor Series after Punk's team comes out here comes Scott as he introduces: Bullet Bob (although he wouldn't do too much ring work obviosuly), Brad and the Roaddog or the New Age Outlaws! I know the chances aren't great of this happening but at least for old school and traditional fans this would be quite a sight.

If he's booked as part of the story, referees are no longer expected to be silent and unseen.

Honestly people, referee feuds are a thing that have been done for quite a few decades. The way you people overreact is absolutely hilarious considering this is one of the many calling cards of pro-wrestling. Sometimes it's not all about headlocks, headscissors, and clean-cut athletic competition. Sometimes it's about entertainment, and ref feuds are an easy way to entertain. Couple that with CM Punk's amazing ability to connect with the audience and you have a formula for success and the chance to really make a break out star RIGHT NOW. Open up your minds people.

I totally see where you are coming from in the sense that this is a commonly used angle in pro wrestling. But that doesn't change the fact that this, and other similar feuds are a waste of time in my view. It simply is not entertaining for me to watch CM Punk wail on a ref that cannot compete, and in all likelihood, will never be able to either (Then again, watching Colin Delaney get annihilated each week on ECW was somewhat fun for a while).

If this ref were younger and physically capable of turning into a full fledged wrestler, sure, whatever, they could give the feud a try. But com'on, Scott Armstrong has passed that point in his career. Does anyone really care what happens to him inside the ring?:disappointed:

CM Punk-----Like his moves----Could care less about his character------but he'll end up on Raw whenever they do the draft and Armstrong will follow screwing him over in all matches. Punk goes crazy starts beatin refs up and gets suspended----Good result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back