Tag Teams that should be?

T2KFreeker

Getting Noticed By Management
Yeah, so with WWE trying to rebuild the Tag Team division, it has occured to me that they need a stronger line up of players. They basically have:

Legacy
D-X (Who I just don't see lowering themselves to the Tag Team Titles)
The Hart Legacy (Who really need to be booked more as a Tag Team)
Cryme Tyme (Don't know what to sat here, stupid WWE)
Mark Henry and MVP
Show and Jericho

Okay, so we have six tag teams? Never gonna' fly. The reason why the Tag Team divisions stand out is due to amazing teams and several going for the title. There are an abundance of wrestlers that could be great Tag Teams and add some much needed fire to the division. Might even do well to make for some damn fine feuds. My ideas:

Kozlov and Ezekiel Jackson - Yeah, so the two of them are backing William Regal, which has worked well for them. Why not have the two of them get into the title hunt? The two of them would be very believable Tag Team Champs. Plus they make a great power team going back to the days of the LOD. Not saying they are as great as LOD is, but with Regal in their corner, they could cause some damage and feud well with just about anyone as they could be the group that cares about nothing but the prestige of the title. No nonsense and who cares about heels and faces, that would be the attitude I'd give here.

Cnavo and Carlito - Yup, I am daring wiuth this one. It would hopefully add some credibility back to Chavo, who is a Guerrero after all, and he has a great mind for Tag Team wrestling and being a Heel. Carlito also makes a great heel and can wrestle up a storm in the Tag Team division. Gives Primo some time to grow as a singles wrestler as well since WWE seems hellbent on grooming him for that. Hell, have them feud with Cryme Tyme to help get them over and make them serious contenders for the title even. Better than jobbing to Hornswoggle every week.

Benjamin and Haas - Yeah, I know that they have been around before, but they made a great Tag Team and proved that they could do both the face and heel and get other wrestlers over big time. Why not have the two of them get back together and do the whole "America VS Canada" thing again as the storyline always gets a strong reaction on both fronts. Have them feud with The Hart Legacy and you could probably get some damn good matches as well as some good heat from the fans. Stuff like this could really put some more faith in the Tag Team Division.

Kofi Kingston and Even Bourne - They would be the ultimate face Tag Team and could bring ther kind of energy that a fast Tag Team can bring to the table. The two would compliment each others style and end up with some damn good matches with whoever you brought into the division. This would be some good stuff if done well with these two. People miss teams like Kendrick and London and these two together could possibly do a good job filling that void.

Lastly, TNA fired Jim Cornette. Hire him back just to work with the Tag Team division and see what he could do with it. Hell, I'll bet that with his expertise and experience even with just the tag teams he has managed over the years, he could get WWE's Tag Team Division back in the spotlight in a year or less and I mean that without a doubt and even using just the tallent WWE has now without having to hire anyone new.

Show and Jericho seem to be being booked just fine these days, but here's my suggestions on what to do with Cryme Tyme and The Hart Dynasty; Stop Having then get beaten in single matches. They are supposed to be Tag Teams then let them function as a Tag Team. Cryme Tyme alone, even though I am not personally a fan of, are big time over with the fans. Listen to the people and put them in a big time feud and see what happens. Sometimes it's just a good idea to let natural progression take over and these two are big time popular, but they never seem to win matches and get used as fodder for other fish. What the Hell. Hart Dynasty is another team that needs to be booked better, what in the Hell are you thinking with the whole Harry Smith and Great Khali thing? Hell, I would have had the Hart Dynasty beat the Hell out of him and then have Kane try to get involved and the Hart Dynasty takes him out also. Mind you, it puts the Hart Dynasty over, but doesn't hurt Kane or Khali because they were beaten down by two people and it doesn't hurt their feud either. Might be time even to add another member as it's about safety in numbers.

Now, even with these last few added teams, you could really add some charact6er to the division and hopefully get some good feuds. Oh, and my last thought? Could we please get some new damn belts? Let's drop the whole two belts thing. When WCW combined the Tag Team Titles, I know that they had two sets of belts for a short period of time, and it's been long enough. It's time for a new set of belts. Just my thoughts. Anyone else agree or have different thoughts?

i think they should add Carlito and Primo, i thought it was wierd that they were both in tag matches on raw but not with each other.

I think they should bring back jesse and festus, i hate when they divide tag teams during the draft if both members dont have a successful single career

maybe if you are keeping them brand specific team Jesse with Curt Hawkins,

Jamie Noble and Jimmy wang yang

evan bourne and matt hardy would be really entertaining

Well, I agree that we definitely need more tag teams while this division is really heating up. Here's my problem...

Back in the glory days of tag team wrestling, there were teams... real teams that dressed alike, had a team name, and a combined finisher.

I think that now, with the focus being so miniscule on the tag belts since the days of The Hardys, Edge and Christian and The Dudleys, all we have had are singles wrestlers teaming up together to make a team, with a few exceptions.

They did try in 2003 or so with Los Guerreros, World's Greatest Tag Team, and even the Bashams. But really for quite a while there have been no main event feel tag matches, outside of the obligatory two faces teaming up against the two heels they are facing at the next pay per view.

All of the sudden, here comes Jericho to save us yet again. The work this man has done in elevating the Intercontinental and now tag titles is nothing short of amazing. But still, we need real teams to make this division work.

In the old days, with the territory system, teams would go from place to place together, learning how to work as a team and how to get over in different places. So how does WWE put together new teams?

There are a few options...

1. Team up some guys from FCW. Look, I know nothing about the FCW roster and most of us probably don't outside of a few names. But to establish a couple of guys as a team, they must come up together. Put them in the same trunks, come up with a cool team name, and while we're at it, give them some cool individual names as well. Not something a character on the latest teen drama would be named. Put together a finisher that implements both guys, and send them up.

2. Team up some guys on the current roster who haven't had that much exposure on television. The other night Kofi and Primo tagged up, and I heard someone call them the Caribbean Connection. This would have been great if we didn't already know them as Kofi and Primo. I'm racking my brain trying to think of some guys that would feel like a team, not two singles stars paired together... and it's tough.

3. Bring in some outside talent. One thing the E has over their competition is money. I know that many of these guys have contracts, but they would be exposed to a whole new audience, and if they are serious about building the tag division, they might have to spend a little dough (and wait however long, but can you imagine a hot new debuting tag team after this division continues to go in the right direction?)...

- Motor City Machine Guns. They're being used for comedy right now, but they are a great team. One of the only reasons I ever sneak a peek at TNA.

- Beer Money. When I first heard about the gimmick, I thought, oh boy, just throw something together. But it works. Really well. They are over. So bring 'em over.

With them and the six teams you mentioned, that's a pretty stout tag division right there. Not quite the glory days of the LOD, the Rockers, the Brain Busters, Demolition, the Hart Foundation... I could go on and on, but pretty stout. Throw in a team or two manufactured in FCW as young up and comers, and you'd be in good shape.

Just for grins, let's say you throw Finlay and Seamus together (But please keep Hornswoggle far, far away). Send Festus away for a while, long enough to grow an epic beard, and have him return to be Mike Knox' brother or something. Ike Knox? I don't know.

Bring in Jim Cornette (But keep Santino far, far away) to run the division from the back, and immediately you have an outstanding tag team roster and a variety of matches available.

Edit: I don't know why I chose to put all the names in bold, but at first glance my post looked pretty plain. Now it pops. :rolleyes:

Yeah, not the glory days, but a start and much better than what they have going on right now. I tell you, I could really care less about the matches they are having now because most of them feel rushed and thrown together just to have a tag match or two on the card. It's not even that the belts mean nothing, it's that the division has no structure. Bring structure back to the Tag Team Division and the rest falls in place on it's own. Now if only someone from WWE would pay attention to these posts and maybe we could help save what is turning, very quickly, into a sinking ship.

ok so batista apparently pix a fite w/ jericho... just think, punk and taker kick ass for a few months, and then tista comes in. but have batista and like r-truth or someone of the sort take on jerishow for an epic few months, w/ jerishow coming out on top, so that batista can go 2 title picture.

when EDGE returns, he should come back as a face...or when EDGE comes back, Christian turns heel and they Reunite!!! GREATEST TAG TEAM OF ALL TIME!!!!! <br>

I don't know about you, but I like the good old Hurricane and Rosie duo. So I'm thinking start something with the Hurricane again. I know he's in a duel with Burchill, but here's my idea. The Hurricane hooks up with somebody in similar size and wrestling ways. Like a Charlie Haas or somebody. Maybe even Fu Naki They duke it out with some teams. Eventually Beth Pheonix joins them because she is sort of a fantasy character as well. The three of them could start tearing up the tag team division. Now I know they're all on different brands. I think it would be interesting.

Jimmy Wang Yang is barely hanging on, I have no idea why. One idea could be to combine him with Yoshi Tatsu once Yoshi gets a bit more experience. That could be a tag team that would be beneficial to Yoshi's growth.

It is kind of hard to have many tag teams right now because if you actually pull up the rosters on WWE.com they dont have a whole lot of guys on each roster. However tag teams and building back up the divison would be a great way to help build some of these young and still realitively unknown guys up. It is great for young guys because the two can balance out each others weak spots. So here is my dream top 10 for the WWEtag divison for the WWE using their current roster.

WWE tag team champs
Big Show/Chris Jericho- Lets face it Chris isnt going to be in the world title picture right now so this is the best place for him. I also think his alliance with Show has made him seem even more dangerous and nasty. For Show well this is the first time I have cared about him in years. He seems to have a new attitude and confidence coming out with Chris. He also seems alot more aggresive in the ring. Perfect tag team right here one of the greatest wrestlers ever teamed with one of the baddest power wrestlers around.

1. DX- Ok yes I kind of hate DX to. Lets be honest though if you want to make the titles mean something again what better way than to make DX actually care about winning them. Should be decent matches as well because Jericho woul make HHH look great and Shawn can make Show look great.

2. Haas/Benjamin- Why is Vince so against this tag team? It is obvious neither man really gets anywhere by themselves so why not leave them togther. As far as ring work they could be legendary as a tag team. I would turn them heel and slap a manager with them personally.

3. MVP/Mark Henry- I like this team alot. I normally cannot stand to watch MVP and use him for my Raw bathroom break match. Something just clicks with him and Mark though and they really work well.

4. Kane/Undertaker- If Undertaker really is leaving soon I would love to see these to run the gauntlet one more time. This could be your modern day Road Warriors.

5. Legacy- No reason to break up this team in my opinion. I think they will both eventually find singles success but I dont think they are truly going to be ready in the next 2 to 3 years. Instead keep these guys togther until they are ready like Edge/Christian. Honestly they are just now coming into their own I think breaking them up anytime soon would be a huge mistake.

6. The Hart Dynast- Everytime I see these guys I think they look like money. These guys are ready for the show and should be pushed.

7. Evan Bourne/Chavo Gurrero- Chavo is tired of losing he realizes the only reason he cant win is he keeps trying to take shortcuts. The story I would set up is one of the monster heels, lets say Jack Swagger for example has Swaggle alone in the ring and is about to break him. Chavo comes flying to the ring and we all think that he is coming to help Swagger. Well Bourne sees it on the monitor and comes running to. He grabs Chavo to try and stop him but Chavo pushes him away and mounts the ropes, instead of a frog splash on Swaggle like we all thing he comes off on Swagger and saves the midget. Afterwards him and Bourne are friends. it revalidates Chavo as a threat, and it gives the whole stupid Chavo/Hornswaggle feud a point.

8. Santino Marella/Chris Masters- I always hated Masters but the last few times I saw him on t.v. he has really looked good. He seems alot more aggresive and mean now. Stick Santino with him for comic relief and personality. Their styles would compliment each other and Santino could actually win a few matches.

9. Cryme Tyme- Only I would turn them heel. I hear they are looking for something for Tony Atlas to do. Put him with them have him convince them that WWE has a conspiracy against them because of their race. Have them actually be thugs instead of clowns. It would make them legit and if they decided to turn face again they might actually be popular.

10. Kozlov/Jackson- They are on the right tracks with these 2. Putting Regal with them was great. Regal is so underated on the mic. In my opinion he is one of the best heels in the WWE. After he retires from in ring they should really keep him on as a manger.

I feel that the WWE needs a story behind alot of these teams forming. Have a tournament like the Crocket Cup from the old NWA days in the 80's. Put together some teams that probably never tag in real life, kind of like Dusty Rhodes and Nikita Koloff. Of course you'd have the established teams ( Rhodes and Dibase,DX,Mvp and Henry) in it also. Have a huge cash prize and a trophy for the winner along with a title shot when ever the team wants like the MITB. This could defintily make the tagteam divison important again. This tourament would give all the teams something to do and talk about.
Of course Jeri-Show would enter it,get to the finals, and lose to whomever got to the finals themselves. I can see Jericho bragging how him and bigshow are gonna add another notch to there belts by winning this tournament.
The team that wins this has to be an underdog team. Maybe Evan Bourne and Kofi. I'd like to see the Hart Dynasty win this. This would defintly make them into bigger players in the wwe. DX doesn't need to win this.

I really like the Chavo and Bourne idea. Born is becoming one of my favorite wrestlers to watch. His energy and style is amazing. The thing is, I can't see Chavo as a good guy. It could probably work out, but Chavo as a face seems weird to me.

Although I very much like the tag team titles to be united - I think sometime or another - we gotta have the split again. We need to see two different tag champs - like Vladimir&Zeke (wwe tag title) well having the Hart Dynasty dominating with the world tag team titles. It'd add alot to SD - and of course ECW. Imagine how exciting ECW would be with weekly tag bouts for the title - or at least feuds for em.

omg completely 4got about e&c. that wud b amazing if they got tt titles and took on BoD in epic tlc, HiaC and the liek matches, b/c not only are they two of the best tag teams evar, three of hem (excluding christian, for now) are HoF material... edge has 10 world champ reigns, but unfortunately theat cudnt happen. also, i think that kofi bourne wud prob b the highest flying tag team since hardy boyz... but they cud do much betr 2 as singles competitors. WGTT shud ttly come back and dominate. also, i truly believe that Cryme Tyme as heels w/ Tony Atlas as almost a new Nation of Domination. i liek the new D/X... less fun oriented and more about wut happens in the ring, i mean i liek the shtick they pull, but that duznt qualify them as a good tag team, its 2 hall of famers that makes them that. the only other tag team i wud want to see come back is if SCSA came back and reformed the Two Man Power Trip. they are pretty much just as star studded as D/X, but the attitude of SCSA w/ a heel HHH wud make possibly the best tag team in history... too bad they only hung around for a cupl weeks

It seems like tag team wrestling may finally be making a comeback so far we have

DX
Legacy
Cryme Tyme
Hart Dynasty
Koslov & Jackson

As far as some new teams we could have

MVP/Henry - Fits the scheme they've been using of one muscle one technical. The main event is too crowded right now and they are too big for the U.S. title now imo

Kofi/Primo - After Carlitos turn I thought they would make a good team after seeing them tag on monday I could see them making a run for the titles to keep Primo his job

Carlito/Chavo - If they're really done with the hornswoggle junk this would make a good stable with Rosa backing them possibly feuding with Kofi/Primo

Miz/ Masters - The Masters of Awesome has a ring to it - With Miz's mic skills and Masters strength they could be a force to be reckoned with almost like the new Kendrick/Zeke

Batista/ Rey Mysterio - neither have any business going for the title right now could be an interesting feud with Jerishow

Sheamus/ Finlay - The irish men that love to fight could boost Smackdown's tag division against Hart Dynasty

John Morrison/ Matt Hardy - not in the long run but after seeing them work together they could be good allies and have a fluke tag title run

Mike Knox / Charlie Haas - Would give Charlie something to do

Jimmy Wang Yang/ Funaki/ Yoshi - three jobbers using freebird rule almost like the original kaientai

Regal/ Burchill - if they arent going to push regal in the mainevent at least use him in a tag team to elevate new comers

R Truth/ Jesse - Since Cryme Tyme doesn't want a lame white rapper around maybe he can make a name for himself with R Truth Whats Up!!!!

Possibly the return of

Edge & Christian on Smackdown after The Draft - not as a traditional team but allies that tag together like The Hardys in later years

Brothers of Destruction - same as Edge & Christian

Haas/ Benjamin - As much as they seperate them neither can get over might as well use them as tag team fillers

I love the ideas that have been said already. One thing I might do though is to bring back the pirate Burchill to team w/the Hurricane. Oh, come on! That would be gold! Epic Movie meets Superhero Movie! I also think that they could put together more talent not going anywhere like everybody said, but not too many or they lose ppl for the other belts. I love the Finlay-Sheamus idea, mad props. Hell, even bring back the Highlanders as more of a serious team instead of the comedic nitwits they were made into. Especially since the way they were let go was pretty shitty. You might even make them into a monster heel team ala the Moondogs or something. WGTT is also a good idea to bring back. I dunno, they could always wait until Rey comes back from his suspension and team him w/Chavo. Give everybody a nice little underdog team to stand behind and watch them surprise the other teams with wins. Best idea I think though was the tournament idea at the very beginning. Who wouldn't eat that up and go ape shit? Especially if they threw in some surprise teams that actually did well even if the members didn't get along. Something like DiBiase and HHH and Rhodes and Michaels. That would be interesting.

I agree with a lot of the opinions in this thread on tag-partners... but I'd just like to see it reborn. What happened to the gimmicks that were fun? The Dudley Boys and screaming "Get the tables!" or even Legion of Doom when they came out w/ their spiked football pads. Give me some gimmick tag teams that also can wrestle and I'd really enjoy the division.

Everyone in the WWE today has a name like Mike Knox, John Cena, John Morrison, Kofi Kingston, etc. What happened to throwing some names out there like The Rock (yes I know he originally came in as his real name) or Stone Cold Steve Austin. The Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels, and stuff like that.

Am I the only one w/ that opinion?

I would love to see Shemaus and Finlay team together. Also Jesse needs to become Terry Gordy Jr and either join Legacy or start another stable but a face stable with the colons, Goldust, and matt hardy and have them feud with rhodes dibiase the hart dynasty and orton. then put r truth and kofi together to face the miz and jack swagger.
I could see the miz and swagger making a faction same with kofi and truth. what if legacy broke up and rated rko came back? or even better kind of a team canada runion with edge and christian and jericho.

WWE is sooooooo jealous of TNA when it comes to tag teams!

...I am not going to dignify that with an answer...Okay I will, Although TNA has a good tag team division, do you honestly think Vince gives a crap? I mean maybe one day they will be challengers to the E' But for now all they are to him is a pesky buzzing noise a long way away. Although he may sneak a peek every once and then to make sure they aren't covering any ground I doubt he really cares too much.

On topic, I think that a Festus, Knox team could be interesting. Reteam the Colons for frick sake (They worked, jesus christ, you know you aren't going to push either of them, just team them!!) and send two teams from FCW. I was reading a column on the main page not too long ago, and it mentioned the idea of debuting two teams on ECW and having Jerishow beat the snot out of them only to have them get extreme and beat them down with weapons or something of that description, and I thought it sounded great.

Re establish the Colons, because they worked.
Put time into making a Festus, Knox team, because it has alot of potential (please drop Festus's Gimmick!!)
Bring up two or so young teams.

And suddenly the tag division starts to look mighty tempting.

Just My Opinion.

P.S. The Incredible Mr. C, That post was win, *applause*. Your like a McDonalds burger, Just the right amount of good stuff to make me feel satisfied :)

Tag Team wrestling in WWE was a joke, but hopefully they are going to follow through with this push they are giving it. Jericho saves the day again. :worship:

Lots of the teams suggested are good ideas, and I like some of them allot, but the great thing about tag teams in the past, with the likes of The Dudleys and the Hardys, and Edge and Christian, is the weren’t thrown together to inject blood into the tag team pool. (Well OK Edge and Christian were but they tagged together so long they might as well have started together :p)

Good tag teams aren’t like singles wrestlers in a team...they have chemistry together; they were like one force, two haves of a whole. WWE in my eyes doesn’t have a single team like that at the moment (well maybe crime tyme, but to be honest I just don’t like umm, and the jury is still out on the Heart Dynasty yet for me. :shrug:) .

To inject some new blood into the wrestling team I would bring up some new teams. The likes of The Briscoes, Dark City Fight club, The American Wolves, bring back Londrick, Koslov and Jackson would be a good team if they had someone to go against.

I think WWE needs at least three dedicated (and good) teams on each brand, so that’s 6 (or 9 if they are going to have teams on ECW as well), Jerishow wont last, they are just using them to put over other teams. Mark Henry and MVP might last, but I still think they wanna singles push MVP more. DX wont last, and Legacy are a good team, but I can see one or both getting a singles push soon too. That’s all but the Heart Dynasty and Cryme time gone in at most 6 months (IMO anyway). So it’s a good start but still lots of work to do.

The tag team division is doing fine at the moment with the amount of stars the WWE has on the roster. There are many guys on the roster not in a team that have other allies whom they have teamed with before. The best thing for the WWE to do is rekindle some of these relationships that still hold significance & are doable concerning face/heel alignment & being branded on different shows. Like the reformation of Mysterio & Batista whom were a very good team in their own right.

I do believe that there are some good pairings that can be possibly placed together to take on the tag division apart from anyone remotely related at the moment like Kozlov/Jackson. However, everyone whom are up for the job of being in the division just won't have enough connection with the crowd or do not have the right amount of reptuation of making it. So, the tag team division should really be kept to the Tag Team Titles & any tag team feuds for the current moment. Any other tag teams should be random pairings for random tag team matches.

I think the problem is the WWE aren't willing to commit to any long term tag teams. They want the option to break them up just around the corner. I think the thing is with The Dudleys was that they were a long term deal, they weren't going to be broken up (although the WWE almost fucked up by doing that too).

You need to treat tag teams like singles stars. Push a team to spend a long time at the top of the tag division. It needs to be treated like its own division. The tag titles were once like an actual prize because you had people who's sole goal was to be the tag team champions.

They weren't tag teams gunning for the gold as a stepping stone to the WWE title, they were tag teams gunning for the tag gold because that is where they wanted to be.

Just My Opinion

Most of you are missing the point. The best tag teams were the ones who had a common theme: Edge and Christian: So-Cal clowns, the Hardy's: high-flyers who looked like punk rockers, World's Greatest Tag Team: elite athletes, Headbangers: heavy metal fans, Cryme Tyme: gangstas.

There is no point and I mean no fucking point in lumping two wrestlers, who have already been established as singles wrestlers, in a team. It's just stupid. Look at MVP and Mark Henry for instance. What reason do they have to be teaming together - because they're black? Apart from that I can see NOTHING that these two have in common. Just because two wrestlers are heels or they are both faces it does NOT mean they will make a good tag team.

The majority of tag teams in the WWE are missing that common element that lifts them above being just a regular tag team that'll do for a couple of weeks to being a team that you just can't imagine could ever be apart.

It's pointless saying stick Chavo with Carlito or the Miz with Jack Swagger because people already know them as singles wrestlers. The WWE has to forget about trying to make band-aid tag teams to hold the division together for the short-term and focus on restructuring it for the long term.

Is there any reason why the WWE can't debut a tag team? Instead of lumping two singles wrestlers with nothing in common together, bring up some unknowns from the developmental roster and give them an obvious reason for being together, a credible backstory, attires that are at least semi-congruent and a decent name (I, for one, am sick of the laziness the WWE has in naming tag teams, who the fuck would want to cheer a team called 'MVP and Mark Henry', the BEST tag teams have their own team name).

You can't fix the tag team division by filling it with pathetic teams. Sure, Chris Jericho and the Big Show are doing a decent job at lifting it out of the rut it's been sitting in, but when they split up (and they will), what then?

All the Teams in the WWE are great. All the Teams that should be in the WWE are great suggestions by you fellow Zoners. Two Superstars I would like to see debut as a Tag Team today would be Nigel McGuinness and Bryan Danielson. Why not?? If they are as good as everyone is saying, why not give both this Team and the Tag division a push both sides could use??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back