Superstar Billy Graham- "Linda McMahon's Senate Run is the reason WWE went PG".

finneycom1

Pre-Show Stalwart
I just watched the video of Billy Graham's claim that McMahon only went PG to help Linda win the election. So, I never really thought of that reason before I guess just b/c I havent really thought at all why McMahon went PG. If I were to guess it was b/c alot of their big names; Cena, Mysterio, DX, are all cash cows with the merchandise and if you think about it, they are kinda like cartoon characters. But that is another thread for another time.

So, what if this is the only reason McMahon went the PG route? And, if this is the reason, what do you think will happen once the election is over. If she wins, will WWE continue on the PG road. If she loses, will we see a return of an Attitude Era-esque time? What do you guys think?

DISCUSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's definitely right. People just don't decide to run for Senate over night. This has probably been in the works for a few years. They just turned PG not even 2 years ago, so thats a little time to cool off before the announcement. Another big reason is to get the little kids watching so parents will by the clothes, toys, posters, and PPVs for their kids.

Well first to be honest after these last couple vids im not a fan of his anymore. The way he is really trashing Ted D,Vince,and all them is just not really something i think it should be said. I am actually a christian so watching these comments from a guy that takes so much pride in his faith and all that,it just doesnt fit with these statements. I mean the whole i never want to talk to Ted again is deffintly not forgivness and the way he talks about vince is totally beyond slander. He seems like just another bitter veteren in shoot interview trying to get attention if you ask me.

Also i highly doubt its the reason because they had been going towards this for years. They have been really becoming more and more pg as the attitude era ended as many will agree. They would of had to known linda would run for many years to say that is a liable reason in my opinion

Well first to be honest after these last couple vids im not a fan of his anymore. The way he is really trashing Ted D,Vince,and all them is just not really something i think it should be said. I am actually a christian so watching these comments from a guy that takes so much pride in his faith and all that,it just doesnt fit with these statements. I mean the whole i never want to talk to Ted again is deffintly not forgivness and the way he talks about vince is totally beyond slander. He seems like just another bitter veteren in shoot interview trying to get attention if you ask me.

Also i highly doubt its the reason because they had been going towards this for years. They have been really becoming more and more pg as the attitude era ended as many will agree. They would of had to known linda would run for many years to say that is a liable reason in my opinion

I agree wholeheartedly, but I think we need to take it one step further. I think this goes beyond faith. I don't believe for one second that Billy Graham is saying these things just because he believes them, if he even does. I think he's doing it to satisfy a certain need in his life. Is Billy Graham really relevant anymore? I would argue not. This is nothing more than the rantings of someone who is feeling a little low in his life. This is his personal grudge against WWE and anyone associated with it. That's why he sold his HOF ring earlier this year. It's sad to see this behavior out of a man who many consider one of the more entertaining and influential characters of the 1970's. There's nothing more shameful than to watch someone like that fall to the depths of internet videos just to make an echo in the caverns of wrestling discussion boards.

while that may be part of it, in my opinion they went pg simply because older people stopped watching. once the older people stopped watching, it only makes sense to switch to pg and try to get some younger fans. eventually they will turn back to a 14 rating because those fans will eventually get older and want different things. its pretty much just a huge cycle and once those fans stop watching they would most likely eventually go pg again.

After thinking about it, it sorta makes sense. The PG rating which is aimed for kids now doesn't make the company look negative, thus it won't make Linda look negative in the election. Whether she wins or loses it's hard to say what direction WWE will take especially if she does win because now TNA has stepped up big time and will be a threat to WWE in terms of competition which is just what Vince needs, a wake-up call to turn around his product and make it more "Attitude-like". Only time will tell.

Let's rewind the clock folks before we talk about Linda running for senate. What was the big shocker that changed wrestling in the US. Chris Benoit. After another wrestling tragedy, which involves drugs, steroids, and a family slain, WWE had to take a new approach. They didn't want to be known as a company of cutthroat roid monsters that produced violence among the community. With a new direction of family programming instead of sex, violence, and in your face phrases they switched for the better of the company. Plus if Linda was thinking about running for Senate in 2007, don't you think she would of ran in 2008? I mean, the presidential election had unknown names in the race in Mid 2007, and big names that reached later that year. So, with a horrible theory of a senate campaign changing the entire course of a company is just insane. Steve Coors from Coors Light ran in 2004, and the company didn't stop selling beer, but juice in a two year transition now did you? On top of that, why are so many guys who are retired so bitter after wrestling. Ric Flair rips every wrestler that gets some credit because he was in the business for 40 years, and I hope he doesn't even join TNA, because his retirement was amazing, Superstar from Superstar coming down the aisle, and shaking his hand, and tears coming from his eye... But like earlier stated, that is another thread for another time. Overall, using a top notch company, and changing it's philosophy to win an election is awkward and cheap claim.

For a guy who ok'ed T&A, HLA, Profanity, Reference to Alcohol, and Necrophilia in the past of course Vince isn't doing this out of the "goodness of his heart".

Though I never thought it was because Linda was running for senate, I always thought it was because he wanted a family oriented product so he can attract more younger viewers and "program" them as loyal fans in the long term and lessen the influence of the IWC so Vince can have more control over his product.

Interesting take by Graham though.

It was no secret that Linda was seeking a political future. She ran for her area's school board (sucessfully) and it looked as if it it wsa only a stepping stone for her. Hell, I'd call it a mid-card title for fun.

But as far as Vince going PG. I doubt that her politcal future played anymore than 5% in the decision. The other 95%:

There is a buttload of money in PG that's not available in a more mature market. Merchandise is first on mind, if parents are okay with the product...they'll pay for it. Now I know that theysold merch in the Attitude Era but the media backlash ate into what they can possibly make.

Also WWE was kid oriented in the past, Hogan Era, and it was in this thime where they went global and completely mainstream. So as a business move, it should/could be succsessful again.

I understand that the older fan is not okay with this but realize this, with WWE being the pseudo monopoly they are they can take this risk and if it doesn't prove successful (PROFITABLE) then they have the freedom to switch it up.

With WCW gone no one is pushing them so they can try anything they want. And don't give me the TNA option as a defense. They're ratings are equal to ECW so they can not be considered competition, more like a different option. (WWE/McDonald's = TNA/Blimpie)

Vince isn't puttting product out for entertainment anymore, it's strictly profit so he is pandering to the demographic he feels he can gain the most from.

**And here is a possible benefit to the PG move- When WCW and ECW came on strong in the 90's they basically grabbed the kids that grew up with Hogan/Steamboat/Savage "PG WWF" and outgrew that particular product. The fans that flocked to WCW/ECW at that time were disenfranchised teens/young adults that couldn't bear to watch the WWF.

SO with Vince going after the 7-13 year olds now, in time THEY will be the disenfranchised teen/young adult that can't bear to watch WWE. Vince will have to make a change if it affects his pockets.**

In the words of many "WWE SUPERSTARS" (imitating the way SCSA said it at the first ECW One Night Stand) WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT I'm sure Linda running for office had something to do with it. But maybe just a fraction of the reason. Something I've always thought about was if Vinnie Mac really wanted to make his baby WWE have "Attitude"...I mean as far as I know the WWF was always about Fantasy, Imagination, Characters out of Cartoons or Comic books. And never really pushed the envolope as far as the promos considering it was violence between each other. We all know/think that if it isn't Vince's original idea he's not too fond about it. The past speaks for itself that he had no other choice but to change the way he presented his promotion. He had to make it edgier, he had to break kayfabe (somewhat). He had to get rid of GOOD GUY vs. BAD GUY. He had to make it more realistic. I've always wondered to myself if he was really happy with going in that direction. Obviously it paid off big time and I'm sure he's glad he did, but do you think he really wanted that. Now that his company reacher a higher level he can do wahtever he wants.

Do you think most of the switch to PG is because thats the way Vince always wanted his company to be?

Honestly i think we'll know if hes right or wrong sooner rather than later.Lets face it if its too get Linda elected say she is Elected then what will happen to the product,will they go back to TV-14 or is Vince really doing this out of the kindness of his heart.Another thing thats gonna play a factor on if he's right or not is what TNA will do with the Monday night thing.If TNA goes to a live Monday night show with a tv-14 rating this forces Vince's hand,yes he will keep the majority of the youth audience but he will loose a lot of the adult fans to the more edgy product.

You brought up a good point and for me, I always think that Vince always had the WWE be about Good Vs. Evil, Heroes and villains, cartoonish characters, justice and crime, blah blah..a charade of "justice prevails over evil" or whatever you wanna call it. The WWE has always been about the "PG" rating since the 80's. It was always their priority to have little kids as their fanbase.

The reason why the WWE had the "Attitude Era" is because of WCW, ECW, and Vince Russo. Without any of those factors, WWE would of always kept their product "kid friendly".

The WWE is trying to relive the 80's. Enough said.

i think mostly why he has gone the PG route is because that WWE in on the stockmarket so he has to answer to the shareholders. if it was never on the stockmarket then it probably could be more risque and such.

I think the reason he went pg was this
how old were most of the people watching wwf in the late 90s
between 8-16
it was the adults that went to the shows but it was the kids watching at home
its gonna happen again
and the fact that we have been in a pg era for a while
will only make the first superstar that says a curse word that more popular
lets face it if kofi kingston called randy orton a son of a bitch everyone would go nuts and kofi would get a push just for going against the rules
so the reason i think the pg era is here
is so the wwe has younger fans who probably wont remember the attitude era
and so that when superstars curse and bleed and divas come out in their bra and panties
it wont b boreing cos we havent seen it in a while
also if i am right can we all join in and say
get rid of the brand extension

WWE went PG because they are starting over..

Let's look at this scenario..

Say Stone Cold was the main dude in the 80's and Hogan wasn't.. Would we be fans? It's questionable.. Because our parents back then during those times wouldn't let us watch it. (Remember, even UFC was banned during these times)

But because of the Hogan era, we got into it especially since our parents let us. He stood for the good in the world.

And as WE grew, WWE grew.. Bret Hart came around and we got a taste of GREAT matches.. The technics and so forth. And then the Austin Era and by THEN, we were older as well..

We grew with WWE..

Now most of us are older, with families or the ages where we CAN have families, and now us adults are looking to get OUR kids into wrestling. And with the Cena's and so forth, we can.

I don't have children YET, but Cena is a GREAT poster child for a product I would want my child to be in. I've been to live shows and it's great to see FAMILIES in the arena..

Let's face it everyone. During the attitude era, WWE's reputation was TRASH. Yea it was entertaining, but it was cursing, blood, sex, and known for trailer trash. WWE was on news about how obscene it's show was and media really wasn't too fond on it..

NOW with Cena and WWE PG, it's getting a good face back.. But that's another story as well..

You watch.. Give about 3 years.. Someone will come around and it'll go mature again. But let the new fanbase GROW just like WE did.

I DOUBT WWE went PG ALL for Linda..

Certainly Linda's Senate bid must play a role in WWE's current product. It seems all-too-obvious that Linda's decision to run for a Senate seat is not out-of-the-blue. As previously stated, her political involvement has grown gradually since she ran for that School Board position a couple years back, a move I suspect was to test the waters politically and allow her to acclimate herself to that environment. As a whole, the McMahons are a very savvy family and know their matriarch's political aspirations would get body-slammed pretty quickly if they were collectively producing the product made popular in the "Attitude Era." Surely they have taken this into consideration. However, it's also far from the only factor at play here.

One guiding force I have not seen mentioned in this thread is the influence of the USA Network on the WWE's product. When WWE returned to USA from SPIKE TV in October 2005, there were a significant number of caveates to the switch. One such caveate was that WWE relinquished 100-percent of advertising time to the USA Network itself, making the WWE's flagship program RAW a cash cow for the channel. In doing so, this also gave USA a vested-interest in the type of product WWE produces.

As a point of reference, when WWE jumped to SPIKE TV in Sept. 2000, the E retained 100-percent of RAW's ad revenues (just under $85 million in '02). However, to get their product back on USA, which reaches a significantly larger audience than SPIKE TV (a fact people should remember when bashing TNA for it's 1.0 rating), WWE relinquished all -- yes ALL -- of the ad sales from RAW to the cable network. As a result, it stands to reason that USA would have included in any contract negotiations with WWE a degree of accountability for their product to Network officials. In essence, USA probably has a significant influence on saying what is and is not permissable for broadcast.

Whereas WWE might have been content with the adult-oriented product because the company factored in things such as merchandising sales, PPV buys, house show attendance, etc., to even out any possible ad revenue losses because their product alienated certain potential buyers, USA does not have that incentive. The cable network has only their advertising revenue to think about, and as a result, almost assuredly makes their voice known in WWE creative's direction, considering that, in turn, links directly to their advertising revenue/sales.

Regardless of whether WWE produces a "PG" or "PG-14" product, the company heavily targets the extremely lucrative 18-49 Male demographic so popular with advertisers. However, the more "PG-14" product might also very easily alienate many potential advertisers, particularly those more directly geared toward a "PG" audience. From a network perspective, this would be a no-no. By pushing WWE to eliminate key "PG-14" elements from the program, the product can be expanded to its current "PG" ranking, in turn opening it to advertisers wishing to reach the 8-14 viewer demographic in addition to the 18-49 male demographic. Over-all, it makes the product more widely accessible, marketable, and, as a result, much more [potentially] profitable for the network.

Am I mistaken to think that the network has voiced its disapproval before in certain key areas, some of which have been reported on the wrestling boards? Certainly the case of Muhammad Hussein comes immediately to mind. Network officials voiced their serious dislike for the character and angle, and within weeks he was gone.

Therefore, to me, it only stands to reason that other, similar instances happen all the time, but perhaps on a level where it's not necessary to report upon it or so casually the IWC never catches wind of it. Most likely the WWE creative team has been provided simple parameters to work within and does so on a weekly basis, creating the "PG Era" we know so well. This happens all the time with other network programming. Why should we think the WWE would be any different?

WWE is PG for one reason only!!!

SPONSORS!!!!

Since going PG, WWE have been able to get bigger sponsors for their PPV (7-11 sponored SummerSlam), wich means more money for Vince.
It's as simple as that.

But I bet that USA Network have had a say in things as well.
And stockholders as well.

NO WAY, that WWE is PG because of Linda. The entire idea of wrestling (people beating each other up to solve a feud) is "offensive" enough for most critics. And WWE have had enough rowdy angles and problems to rule that out.

Vince doesn't care if he has to show blood or not, it's a business thing and about making money.

Would Linda running for senate have an effect on WWE's product? Of course!

It's only obvious to assume that.

However, the main reason WWE is going TV-PG is because of three simple letters... U... F... C.

Thanks in large part to WWE's poor product for the last few years, many of the 13-24 year olds that WWE (and advertisers) covet have slowly moved away from WWE to UFC, where the matches are 'real', but more importantly, the product is booked pretty damn well.

So Vince sees that his company is hemmorhaging these fans week after week and he doesn't know how to compete (clearly, improving the quality of his product is out of the question), so what does WWE do? They re-aim their sights at the younger fan base, the one that's going to be more interested in wrestling (with it's weekly programming that they can watch for free) and larger than life personalities, and the one that's going to be least likely to get lost to UFC (who doesn't market really to ANYONE but 13-24 year old males at this point).

The fact that Linda was running for senate probably just was the icing on the cake that made WWE make the 'PG' decision, but that wasn't the biggest reason.

The biggest reason is that Dana White is out-promoting Vince McMahon right now.

I hate to say it but Billy Graham comes across as a bitter old man. He calls Ted DiBiase a hypocrite for going back to WWE but Graham himself wasn't adverse to doing exactly the same thing when he had a book and a DVD to publicise. I don't recall him telling Vince that it went against his principles. That makes him the biggest hypocrite IMO. People in glass houses Billy.....

Who gives a damn if he was right or wrong? Regardless of whether he is or not, the WWE will still be PG. The reasoning for the change doesn't matter as long as the quality is good. Raw was vastly better this past week and Smackdown and ECW have been good for some time.

I believe he us right and what was interesting to me the anger he showed towards Vince and the WWE.

People overrate merchandise sales importance so so soooooooooooo much on these boards Vince doesn't need merch sales to keep going he is a billionaire and can get his money in other places.

This PG era is all because of Linda's senate run which she will lose anyways but it's true. Vince knew the slander campaigns against Linda would be easy with more abrasive content thus you have the PG era.

Well if it's true, then I hope Linda loses ect because then the WWE can go back to not being PG. I haven't got a lot against the WWE being PG, because they've got some of their highest ratings recently and there has been some fantastic shows.

However, if the WWE can drop the PG rating then it allows for more flexability for the WWE and it's product. Blood can be used to enhance moments. Think of Bret Hart vs Austin. The shot of Austin screaming without blood down his face, maybe wouldn't have been as epic.

Plus if Linda was thinking about running for Senate in 2007, don't you think she would of ran in 2008? I mean, the presidential election had unknown names in the race in Mid 2007, and big names that reached later that year.

How? There wasn't a CT Senate race in 2008, Lieberman saved his seat in 2006 and Dodd was reelected in 2004, there wasn't an open seat in 2008. Senators carry their seat for 6 years which is why there is an election in 2010. Unless you suggest she carpetbag somewhere but where?

Let's face it everyone. During the attitude era, WWE's reputation was TRASH. Yea it was entertaining, but it was cursing, blood, sex, and known for trailer trash. WWE was on news about how obscene it's show was and media really wasn't too fond on it..

NOW with Cena and WWE PG, it's getting a good face back.. But that's another story as well...

Your right. When friends/college roomates at the time/classmates/family found out I like to watch wrestling they would call me trailer trash..lol...this was during the ATT ERA. No one can deny that there were moments during that time that will always define the WWE...but the majority of it was pretty raunchy..lol...but I liked it then, and I like it now.

I don't know if Billy Graham is right or not. I do think it's at least possible however.

As has been said, nobody simply decides to run for major political office on a whim. I'd say that Linda McMahon has been considering and planning for this for quite some time. I'd say it's at least somewhat possible that the WWE went PG for purposes of somehow helping Linda out during the election. Of course she's going to be tied to the WWE and the WWE's controversial tastes in programming in the past is something that her opponent could no doubt use against her.

If one is running on a Republican ticket like Linda McMahon is, then she has to come across as someone that cares about family values, worrying about the content of shows shown on television and all this and that because Republicans especially eat that shit up. Saying that the WWE has cleaned up its image and has made a change more towards a family friendly product will be something she'll put to use if she thinks it can help.

So is this the reason the WWE went PG? In my opinion, I'm leaning towards no but anything's possible I suppose when it comes to the ambition of a McMahon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back