Superman Vs. Thor: Once In A Lifetime

Death Before Disco

Little Jimmy's Imaginary Friend
I think about this sometimes. Superman and Thor are two of my favorite superheroes, and I've often wondered who would win if they got into a fight.

Here we go:

Venue: Earth, an empty Sun Life Stadium

Time: High Noon

Stipulations: Anything goes

A Brief Tale of the Tape

Similarities: Flight, Super Strength, Badassitude, Adored by Millions Worldwide

Superman

Strengths: Capable of emitting high-heat lasers from his eyes, frost breath, virtually invulnerable.

Weaknesses: Various forms of kryptonite and magic, high damage physical trauma, unable to see through lead.

Thor

Strengths: A god, mystical hammer Mjolnir, control over lightining, various types of magic.

Weaknesses: High level forms of magic high damage physical trauma.

IMO, if they were to have a fight confined within Sun Life Stadium (to ensure no human casualties, that wouldn't be very kosher for these babyfaces), I would go with Thor. If they brawled, it would be a pretty equal fight. However, I think Thor has an advantage because he can use certain forms of magic. In the end, I think this would give Thor the edge. Also, if Thor could obtain some kryptonite, he could exploit that advantage. Thor has no specific weaknesses, so if he's smart and keeps his head, I think he could take down the Man of Steel.

Winner: The Mighty Thor

I left my analysis brief because I'm really interested to see what you guys think. So,

If Superman and Thor got in a fight, who do you think would win and why?

Let the debate begin! :)

That's a good point about Thor's lack of weaknesses. However, I would argue Thor does have a small character flaw: vanity. He's quite prideful about his Asgardian heritage. I think if Superman could use Thor's vanity against him and by way of insulting Thor's ancestory, he would be angered enough to let down his guard. Superman could begin using his various powers in succession until Thor grew weak enough that a few powerful blows could render him unconscious. (I'm assuming this is going only to a knockout or submission. After all, I don't want either one to die!) Therefore my winner is:

Superman

Winner: Thor

I'm more of a dc comics kind of guy, but i have to go with thor on this one. Superman is pretty badass, but when it comes down to it, thor has more advantages. Like Albert T said, thor has vanity, and superman could use that against him. But, thor has mjolnir, and lightning. Confined to sunlife stadium, superman couldnt pull it off. Because superman biggest asset is flying. Thor can also fly, but he doen't rely on it as much. He relies more on his magic and strength, which is better than supermans. So ultimately, thor would win.

They HAVE actually faced off several times, if I'm not mistaken. Superman won once and said Thor was his strongest opponent ever. I remember both talking about each other as if they were the toughest opponent they'd ever faced, come to think of it.

I think it'd come down to the individual battle, as they seem pretty evenly matched.

I guess it'd depend on which version of Superman you're talking about. DC Comics has the most muddled, clusterfucked continuity imaginable and it's hard to weed out what's canon and what isn't. They've retconned decades of the DC Universe, including most of the more familiar versions of Superman & his various exploits, into being in alternate realities with each seeming to have different levels of powers. There are also other alternate versions, but I'm going to use the three that I'm most familiar with.

If you're talking about the first incarnation of Superman, the "Golden Age" version which existed from 1938 until the early 50s, then Thor takes the fight with little problem. During this time frame, Superman's abilities were vastly limited compared to later on and he simply wasn't on the level of someone like Thor.

If you're talking the "Silver Age" version, it's very difficult to see how Thor wins in a straight up fight. The "Silver Age" of comics lasted from the mid 50s through about 1970 but this version of Superman stayed around to the mid 80s. This version of Superman is the one that most of us grew up knowing about and various writers kept increasing the limits of Superman's powers to an absurd degree that it became impossible to keep him interesting. This version could do pretty much anything, including using his strength to move multiple planets with little to no effort. In a straight up fight, I just don't see it unless Thor simply unloads with an energy blast from his hammer with all the power he can possibly put into it. I don't see that happening though as, based on what I've read of Thor, he'd consider that cowardly. Thor is often kind of arrogant and proud to a fault and not tremendously strategic, which would certainly work against him against most Superman incarnations but it'd definitely cost him the battle against this one.

Following the Crisis on Infinite Earths storyline in the mid 80s, which was really the first time DC altered the entire continuity of its mainstream universe, writer John Byrne dramatically reduced the number of Superman's powers and their limits. It made the character more interesting because...well, the guy had limits and it was no longer impossible to come up with interesting adventures for him. After Byrne left the series, writers would go back to jacking up Superman's powers over the coming years, though not to the staggeringly absurd levels prevalent prior to John Byrne's reimagining of the character.

According to just about everything I've read, Superman's primary vulnerabilities are Kryptonite and magic, even the nigh omnipotent "Silver Age" version. It's possible for him to be hurt through non-magical or Kryptonite based attacks, but it's simply much harder. As a result, I think Superman would have a lot of trouble with Thor. Thor's physical attributes, not even including his hammer, are magical in origin. So Thor's physical attacks would have more effect on Superman than the attacks of most others. Toss Mjolnir, or whoever the hell you spell it, into the mix and Superman is in for a helluva time.

As to who would win overall, again, it depends on which version. Superman from the late 30s to very early 50s against Thor results in Thor winning pretty easily. From the 50s through the mid 80s, I have to go with Superman because the scope of his powers during those times was beyond absurd. Plus, Thor's nature would probably prevent him from exploiting a purely energy based magical attack, which I think would be his only real hope. Between Superman from 1985 through today & Thor, it might be too close to call. From a physical standpoint, they look to be pretty evenly matched. Superman has the cooler head & more strategic mind, which coupled with his physical attributes gives him a strong chance. Thor is a genuine warrior with millennia of experience, he's the better hand to hand fighter and his powers & weapons are magic. If the modern Supes can get under Thor's skin & take advantage of that brash overconfidence, he stands a better chance than in a straight up slugfest. On the other hand, Superman is often known to "hold back" out of concern for life no matter who it is. Thor could take advantage of that as he's generally not someone that restrains himself in a fight. If Supes doesn't give it all he's got from the start, then he won't win.

Like I said, Supes from the mid 80s through today vs. Thor, at least to me, is a toss up. I can see genuinely plausible scenarios in which either one could get the win over the other.

Jack has made a great case for the variable strengths of Superman and, in the interests of fairness, this also applies to the Asgardian.

'Regular' Thor is no slouch being capable of lifting approx 100 tonnes but this can be increased ten times if he should go full berzerker... and this is nothing compared to when he received the Odinforce mantle and was able to draw on basically infinite cosmic and mystical powers... and this is before you draw in magical items like the Belt of Strength which doubles his power or the iron gauntlets that allow him to fully unleash Mjolnir's abilities.

'Silver Age' Supes versus the fully rooted and booted 'Thorforce' Thor would be an unbelievable spectacle and the concussion blast from their first collision would level the Sun Life Stadium. In the end though I believe that Goldilock's mystical prowess would be the edge that would see him take Mrs Kent's baby boy.

Because of the anything goes stipulation, Thor should conditionally wipe the floor with Superman. It pains me to say it, as I am a much bigger Superman fan than I have ever been of Thor. Superman's weakness against magic is his downfall in this fight. Everything about Thor is magical, and Mjolnir, as a magical object, would be able to kill Superman with lethal force. Superman can have all of the physical strength in the world, but Thor could bash his head in with one good swing. His super strength cannot protect him against Mjolnir.

Now, I say conditionally, because this assumes that Thor has the speed to keep up with Superman. I am not familiar enough with Thor to know if this is true. If Thor is magically strong, but otherwise normal speed, then if Superman can use his own speed to avoid blows from Mjolnir, and keep his distance to avoid direct blows, focusing on long range attacks instead of melee attacks, then Superman has the advantage. Superman would able to dodge attacks, even magically powered ones. It's not like Thor casts spells.

It also depends on what Thor there is. There's the normal Thor, who's depicted in modern media and there's God Thor, who's been through Ragnarok, has the power of Gaea, The Runes, Thorforce, & The Odin-Force. On top of that he has Chronokinesis and other additional abilities.

Thor would win easily. If he can find a way to move the battle to Asgard and take Superman with him, all he would have to do is drag the fight long enough for the lack of yellow sunlight to take a toll on Superman.

The electricity might not do much to damage Superman, but the hammer sure will. Superman is not impervious to pain. I can see that hammer smashing his face into smithereens or at least breaking two or three bones.

Also, Kryptonite. If Thor can get some, Superman is screwed. Until someone can come up with some Asgardinite for Thor, I don't see Superman realistically winning that fight.

This very much depends on which version of both you are using. Thor has many different noteworthy forms. The most well know I believe is the 616 version, who can destroy planets, survive stellar explosions, and can cause earthquakes as a side effect of his fights. Give the man the almighty Odinforce and his potential destructive abilities jump to galaxy level, as does his durability... far beyond the capabilites of many versions of Superman, including the current Supes that Screwattack used.

[youtube]oyl97TG8jbA[/youtube]

That doesn't mean that Supes doesn't have his fair share of ridiculous incarnations, because he does. You have Silver Age Supes who once flew so fast he nearly tore the barrier between the living plane and heaven, and Spectre had to stop him. Pre Crisis Supes who can juggle planets, and once blew a solar system away with a sneeze... that Supes should be able to take Odinforce Thor out. If not there's the golden version of Supes [Prime 1,000,000] who is basically DC's version of the Living Tribunal. Now that Supes doesn't have many concrete feats; however, there is Cosmic Armor Supes... who is the strongest version of Superman ever devised based on feats. The guy ridiculously ludicrously powerful even for Supes.

So having a version of both is very important.

If I were to use the standard current versions of both that Screwattck used for their Deathbattles, I'd have to give the match to Superman, unless Thor can use the Odinforce - which after some quick research he has to have it bestowed on him, and it's not permanent.

As to that I'd say Superman would win. He did defeat Goku without effort after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back