"Super Mario Bros 2" VS "Doki Doki Panic"

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Many of us remember Mario Bros 2 for being very different than either its prequel or its sequel. Also, it’s a well known fact that this game was originally not meant to be a Mario game. The “real” Mario Bros 2 was a more difficult rip-off of the original Super Mario Bros game with a difficulty level that bordered on unfair at times. That game wouldn’t see a worldwide release until the SNES era when it was brought back as “The Lost Levels”. A game called “Doki Doki Panic” was changed into a Mario game and released as Super Mario Bros 2. A few things were changed and I’d like to take a look most of them before getting into the discussion question for this thread.

In DDP you had to complete every single level using all 4 characters in order to clear the game. You could still had to go back and beat levels you skipped by warping. In SMB2 the game ended when you cleared the last level for the first time.

The playable cast had changes in graphics. The original cast was a family who got replaced by the Mario characters. The son became Mario, the mother became Luigi, the daughter became Peach, and the father became Toad. Each character’s strengths/weaknesses remained unchanged as this was only a graphical change. Another interesting change they did make was that you could not run by using the B button in the original, in the Mario version you can.

There were other graphical changes such as the fact that you do not shrink in the original when you are one hit away from dying, though in the Mario version you do. Some enemies animate worse in the original and the vegetables have less impressive looking graphics when they are still stuck in the ground. The bonus game had a much less impressive screen than in the Mario version. DDP had shrunken heads instead of turtle shells…. “BOM” written in explosions instead of “BOMB”…. Character heads instead of Mushrooms for 1ups…. Masks instead of Mushroom Blocks…. Phanto enemies (the guys who chased you when you were running with a key to locked doors) looked confused instead of angry…. and a Magic Lamp instead of a Potion to reach the rooms with the extra lives.

Finally…. probably the oddest thing of all…. Clawgrip, the crab boss from world 5, did not exist in the original. World 5’s boss in the original DDP game was another rematch against Mouser. This time he’s stronger than the one you face as the boss of worlds 1 and 3.

Now with that long list of trivia out of the way…. I have a few questions that I’d like to ask all of you.

1. If the original version of Doki Doki Panic had been released instead of the Super Mario Bros 2 version we all are familiar with, what longterm impact do you think that would have made on the gaming industry?

2. Would you have liked to play DDP in its original form, with all the changes gone? What about the original NES version of Mario 2 (now known as “The Lost Levels), would you have liked to play that in its original 8 bit form back in the day?

3. Would a 4th game have replaced Mario Bros 2 in the “Super Mario Allstars” game’s collection? Would there even BE a "Super Mario Allstars" collection game?

4. What characters would have replaced guys like Birdo, Shy Guy, Mouser, or Bob-Omb, in future Mario games…. since they all made their debut in Super Mario Bros 2?

5. Would Princess Peach have a different set of abilities in Smash Bros since her vegetable throw and floating are a tribute to Super Mario Bros 2, a game she wasn’t supposed to be in originally?

6. Could the Doki Doki Panic cast have become popular on their own, without being a Mario novelty like they are today?

I’ll give my answers first. I think that it would have made a huge difference. Part of what made Mario Bros 3 so great was that it brought the series back to its roots after the drastic departure in the 2nd game. If “The Lost Levels” had been the 2nd game, then I doubt that Mario Bros 3 would have been as big of a deal. I wouldn’t go as far as saying that the Mario series wouldn’t be around at this point, but it probably wouldn’t be as big of a name as it currently is. Any game/cartoon of Mario that features characters introduced in Mario Bros 2 would be drastically different today. Super Mario World would most likely have been the 4th game in Super Mario All-stars, if that collection would even have been released. Peach would be nowhere near as useful as she is in Smash Bros today if it weren’t for Super Mario Bros 2. Her floating ability and vegetable throw would obviously have been taken out. I can’t think of anything that they would have ended up using instead though, probably just some generic “B” moves like most of the characters have.

Two years ago I had the pleasure of playing Doki Doki Panic in its original form. It was honestly more fun than the Mario Bros 2 version…. I would have liked to have played it back in the day in its original form, as well as the 8 bit version of “The Lost Levels” but I don't think DDP would have been anywhere near as popular on its own because it did not feature an already familiar cast. Probably the only character I think would have grown popular would be the daughter, who has the floating ability that Peach inherited in the Mario version. She might have ended up with a cameo in Smash Bros and other games. I believe anyone else from the game would fade into obscurity if the game had been released in its original form.

Alright, now it’s your turn to answer my questions. I think this is a fascinating topic (I've always been a big fan of “what if” scenarios) so let’s get some good discussion going here.

1. If the original version of Doki Doki Panic had been released instead of the Super Mario Bros 2 version we all are familiar with, what longterm impact do you think that would have made on the gaming industry?

Nothing would have happened. Doki doki Panic was a fun little game, but without the Mario coat of paint, it would have languished in obscurity. The only reason Birdo and others even exist is because they have been integrated into Mario canon. So I suppose the effect it would have on gaming would be to slice and dice a major chunk of Mario history.

2. Would you have liked to play DDP in its original form, with all the changes gone?
No. It looked fairly bad compared to the updated Mario version and I probably wouldn't have even heard about it nor played it if it weren't in Super Mario All Stars.

What about the original NES version of Mario 2 (now known as “The Lost Levels), would you have liked to play that in its original 8 bit form back in the day?

Not really. Lost Levels was ridiculously hard, even for a Mario game. It got to be discouraging. And I'm perfectly happy playing it on the Super Nintendo via Super Mario All Stars.

3. Would a 4th game have replaced Mario Bros 2 in the “Super Mario Allstars” game’s collection? Would there even BE a "Super Mario Allstars" collection game?

No, I don't think a fourth game would have been added, unless they decided to put Super Mario World on the cartridge like they did for later releases of the compilation. It would have been a collection of three games: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2 (Lost Levels), and Super Mario Bros. 3.

4. What characters would have replaced guys like Birdo, Shy Guy, Mouser, or Bob-Omb, in future Mario games…. since they all made their debut in Super Mario Bros 2?

Probably regular sentient bombs and other weird creatures. Perhaps they wouldn't have even included those characters in future games, using Koopa Troopas and the like to substitute.

5. Would Princess Peach have a different set of abilities in Smash Bros since her vegetable throw and floating are a tribute to Super Mario Bros 2, a game she wasn’t supposed to be in originally?
I doubt Peach would have even been in Smash Bros. Super Mario Bros. 2 established many of the abilities she's known for today (The dress glide for example). Without Mario 2, she was just a damsel in distress.

6. Could the Doki Doki Panic cast have become popular on their own, without being a Mario novelty like they are today?

I doubt it. Like I said, DDP would have languished in obscurity.

That pretty much would have been the end for Mario as far as I'm concerned, with no major changes from 1 and 2 why would they bother doing the same with three?

2. Would you have liked to play DDP in its original form, with all the changes gone?

Yeah I would do, Miyamoto is a genius so I have faith that DokiDokiPanic would have been good.

What about the original NES version of Mario 2 (now known as “The Lost Levels), would you have liked to play that in its original 8 bit form back in the day?

I've played it and completed it, back in the day though, no.

See my answer to q1.

Just would have kept the main SMB3 cast aside from bombs.

There wouldn't be a smash bros.

I doubt it. Like I said, DDP would have languished in obscurity.

Yes, times 100. Name me a Miyamoto series that has languished in obscurity. Exactly. Miyamoto worked on DDP and not LL, makes sense that it would do better than the original Mario 2! These characters would all become a staple of Nintendo lore just like Link, Mario, Starfox et al.

Ah, been watching a little Irate Gamer/ Angry Video Game Nerd, haven't you Dagger?

Well, I think if Nintendo didnt end up copying that version for Super Mario Bros 2, they would have released the REAL Super Mario Bros 2, which was dubbed "The Lost Levels" when Super Mario All Stars came around for the SNES. As for the industry, I don't think it would have changed all that much. No matter what version of Super Mario Bros 2 Nintendo would release, It woud still make money and still be pretty successful.

2. Would you have liked to play DDP in its original form, with all the changes gone? What about the original NES version of Mario 2 (now known as “The Lost Levels), would you have liked to play that in its original 8 bit form back in the day?

No, I really wouldn't like to play DDP in it's original form, I disliked it in the form it was released as. I would like to play the Lost Levels in it's orginal. However, I downloaded it from WiiShop and play it on my Wii, and many Super Mario Flash games are based off of the Lost Levels. I don't really mind whether it's the original 8 Bit or not.

Maybe, Maybe not. Based on what Mario 2 was, I would think Nintendo would be too lazy to add a 4th game. Yes there would be a Super Mario Allstars, but it would only be Super Mario Bros 1,2 and, 3.

Well I don't think anyone would have replaced them, They would have made their debut at some point. Had it not been in any of the SNES games or eeven any of the Nintendo 64 games (Bob-Omb was in Mario 64), we probably would have seen them in a game like Yoshi's Island or maybe even as late as Super Mario Baseball.

Maybe, I mean if not for this what would her abilities be? Be abducted by Bowser and make Mario leave the fight to go save that dumb bitch?

It was only released in Japan, so No.

For one, our mushroom eating homeboy wouldn't be the international celebrity that he is today. Maybe in Japan, but not as much internationally. Videogames always sell well in Japan. Thats no mystery. The international market, however can be very demanding. Isn't the reason the game was re-branded as a Mario game so it would catch on internationally? A game with a rising star would sell a lot better than with a group of newcomers.

I'll have to search for the emulator. Yes, I would like to play it. DDP that is. Mario 2, on the other hand, doesn't sound quite as attractive. That probably because it is near identical to the first one. Which led us to the DDP/Mario 2 re-branding.
I don't know. I know this is probably the original "Greatest Hits" videogame. But I don't think the impact on this specific game would be so great.

I'm gonna guess that we would've stayed with the Koopas and Goombas from Mario 1. However seeing how Bob-Ombs and Shy-Guys play pivetal roles in future Mario games, it really leaves you wondering.

She probably wouldn't even be playable. Its the only game that has her as a playable character, or even doing something that doesn't involve Bowser kidnapping her.

Probably. Nintendo characters aren't exactly forgettable. But they can remain obscure. Recall Fire Emblem.

That pretty much would have been the end for Mario as far as I'm concerned, with no major changes from 1 and 2 why would they bother doing the same with three?
This is pretty true. Miyamoto isn't known for persisting on negative things.

Yes, times 100. Name me a Miyamoto series that has languished in obscurity. Exactly. Miyamoto worked on DDP and not LL, makes sense that it would do better than the original Mario 2! These characters would all become a staple of Nintendo lore just like Link, Mario, Starfox et al.

Fire Emblem. It is an amazing and unique series of games that have somehow been hidden in the confines of Japan for over 10 years. Who knows if it would still breath if it hadn't been for Marth and Roy's Smash Bros. appearance.

Ah, been watching a little Irate Gamer/ Angry Video Game Nerd, haven't you Dagger?

That was my first thought when I saw the title of the thread. Both reviews were pretty good. I was actually turned on to Irate Gamer before AVGN, but quickly found I like AVGN better.

The impact would only have been in the Mario franchise, the gaming industry itself wouldn't have been changed really. Instead of the rip off of another game we would have got a perfect sequel instead of a game that had nothing to do with the Mario series, and was really an outcast in the group.

I didn't like SMB2 so I don't think I would have liked the scaled down version any better. I would much rather have had "The Lost Levels" as SMB2 and played it in the 8 bit form originally. I have beat "The Lost Levels" and I liked it specifically because it was so hard. SMB1 was too easy, it was nice to have one that was a real challenge. I thought "The Lost Levels" was a perfect sequel to the original.

Never know, maybe Dr. Mario would have been put on the "All-Stars" game instead of "The Lost Levels", giving you Super Mario World, SMB1, 2(The real one), 3, and Dr. Mario on one cartridge. That wouldn't have been a bad deal in my book.

No telling, I can only agree with others on this one that those characters would probably have made their debuts in another game anyways.

Once again, there is just no way of knowing. I would have to guess that if DDP wasn't converted into SMB2 that when put in SSB they would have had to come up with abilities, and probably wouldn't have used the ones they had to go off of already.

Tell me this, had you ever heard of Doki Doki Panic before watching the reviews on SMB2? Probably not, which answers your question. As Stinger said, it was only released in Japan, without success in America, it was doomed, especially when Nintendo put their poster boy on it, and sold it as the sequel to what at the time was "The most successful game ever".

Actually no. I couldn't sleep the other night so I decided to have a nostalgic playthrough of games, which I often do on nights I cannot fall asleep. Mario Bros 2 got picked and while playing it I remembered how much fun I had playing the original DDP version two years ago and then I got the idea to make this thread.

Tell me this, had you ever heard of Doki Doki Panic before watching the reviews on SMB2? Probably not, which answers your question. As Stinger said, it was only released in Japan, without success in America, it was doomed, especially when Nintendo put their poster boy on it, and sold it as the sequel to what at the time was "The most successful game ever".

Yes, I had heard of it ages ago. The fact that Super Mario Bros 2 was originally not supposed to be a Mario game was revealed to me in one of the trivia sections of the Super Mario World players guide where it discussed Mario's previous games and I recall reading way back in 1994 about how the original version was called Doki Doki Panic featuring a playable cast without Mario or his friends. I never got to actually play the original version until 2 years ago.

DDP was more fun than the Mario version for two reasons. The first of those being I am a bit of a purist so I often like the first version/release of a game better than any remakes or changed versions unless one completely blows me away (such as Final Fantasy 4 on the DS, although the original SNES version will never get old to me).... and the second reason is that the original DDP had set it to where you had to clear the game with all 4 characters rather than just one, AND you still had to clear levels you skipped by warping. Imagine how fun doing that in the Mario version would have been?

I know it was only released in Japan but going by the "what if" scenario of assuming DDP had been released as itself and "Lost Levels" was Mario 2, I do think that DDP would have seen a small amount of success because it was a really fun game. However, having the mario cast in the Mario 2 we all grew up with is what made it successful, a familiar cast made it appeal to more people. Eventually DDP would have begun to fade into obscurity although I do think it might have been brought back through the daughter being playable in Smash Bros, it's not the first time characters from a random game from the past got brought back that way. (I'm looking at YOU, Ice Climbers!)

It would have made Mario less of a big deal. The second Mario game wouldn't have flopped because it was too similar, ask Sonic, but it was too hard for the Western audience. Doki Doki Panic could quite easily have become another game in the Nintendo family, and I think that would have gone in a much more collective way forward, rather than with Mario at the forefront.

Yes, I'd have liked to play DDP in it's original form. I never had Mario 2 on the NES, only All-Stars, so it would have been nice. I played the Lost Levels on All Stars, and it was alright, but not good enough for me to want to play it in Japanese.

It depends which was more popular. If DDP became more popular than Mario 2, then no. It would have probably just been a collection of various NES games that was released. If Mario 2 had still outsold DDP despite its difficulty, then there would have been an All-stars game, but only with three titles. Mario wouldn't ever have died completely, but he would probably have ended up like Donkey Kong - important, but not a company carrier.

Assuming that Mario 2 was a flop, then these games would have been Nintendo character games, with people from all games featured. Lesser Mario characters would miss out.

Probably.

Shigsy, to use the N64 magazine terminology, makes better characters than anyone else in the industry, so yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back