Storylines vs. Fueds

TSG

Too Sweet To Be Sour
So, what this thread asks is, what do you think is the difference between a storyline and a fued? I think that a storyline is a complex, deep, rivalry, with more than just a challenge for a championship behind it. Like, I would consider Mr. McMahon's Limo Explosion, Randy Orton fighting and beating up the McMahons, and Katie Vick all storylines. Where as a fued is just a simple challenge against another wrestler for a title, or just a simnple rivalry between two wrestlers, like Christain vs. Tommy Dreamer or Chavo Guererro vs. Hornswoggle.

So, my question to all of you is, what do you consider a storyline, and what do you consider a fued?

Let me guess, Lord Sidious inspired this thread?

A feud is a battle between two opposing people or groups of people (stables) that contain one or more of the following: A.) Matches B.) Promos C.) Angles/storylines
A feud usually has a storyline behind it.

A storyline is a story that's conveyed through promos, actions, matches, and angles. Storylines are usually the stories in feuds. That simple, really.

Let me guess, Lord Sidious inspired this thread?

A feud is a battle between two opposing people or groups of people (stables) that contain one or more of the following: A.) Matches B.) Promos C.) Angles/storylines
A feud usually has a storyline behind it.

A storyline is a story that's conveyed through promos, actions, matches, and angles. Storylines are usually the stories in feuds. That simple, really.

I would consider it an honor if I somehow did serve as an inspiration for the thread. But it is a great topic that I think needs clarification, as there seems to be a good amount of disagreement on it today.

I would classify a feud as much more basic. A feud is simply another word for a "program" between two or more wrestlers, which results in a series of matches for a certain period of time. Feuds can go on for several weeks, or they could go on for several months.

Some of today's FEUDS would be:

Jeff Hardy vs CM Punk
John Cena vs Randy Orton (just starting up again)
Triple H vs Randy Orton and Legacy (more recently)
Chavo Guerrero vs Hornswoggle (God, when will it end??)

All of the above examples are Feuds, not Storylines. Unfortunately, we have both less Feuds AND less storylines than we have compared to year's past.

The Hogan Era was a Feud-based Era, but nearly everyone on the roster, from the Top of the card, to the Mid-Card division, to Tag Teams all were involved in feuds, and WWE did a fantastic job with this. Today, not so much.

Let's compare today's feuds to those of the Hogan Era. I'm simply going to pick the year that I started following wrestling. These were a list of the feuds that were all going on simultaneously, around SummerSlam 1990:

Hulk Hogan vs Earthquake

Ultimate Warrior vs Ravishing Rick Rude

The Hart Foundation vs Demolition (when Demolition added a 3rd member) ... with the Legion of Doom waiting in the background

Texas Tornado vs Mr. Perfect

Tugboat vs Dino Bravo

Dusty Rhodes vs Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase & Macho King Randy Savage

Jake the Snake Robert vs Bad News Brown

Nikolai Volkoff vs Boris Zhukov

Hacksaw Jim Duggan vs Sgt. Slaughter

Bushwhackers vs Rhythm and Blues

Rockers vs Power and Glory

I need to emphasize that all of those feuds were going on at the same time. And they went on for several months thereafter on the House Show circuit ... they weren't just made for the PPV, only to move on the next month with another series of matches.

How many feuds can you list that are going on today, at this moment in time compared to those? Also, notice how all of those feuds have a nice fluctuation of Main Event, Mid-Card, Tag-Team, and even lower Mid-card talent ... which helped get the talent over with the audience and got them to care about the people involved.

The Attitude Era was much more Storyline-based and took things to the next level with the complexity of its writing for television.

A storyline could be described as a much more complex plot, which goes beyond a simple feud. It contains a beginning, middle, and end with probably some twists along the way. You get the impression that with each passing week, you are actually building towards something, while working your way to the climax.

Here are some examples of STORYLINES ...

Who tried to kill Mr. McMahon?

Who ran over Stone Cold Steve Austin?

Who is Mr. McMahon's Illegitimate son?

Stone Cold Steve Austin takes over as the CEO of World Wrestling Entertainment

Who is the Higher Power of the Ministry of Darkness

JBL hires Shawn Michaels due to Shawn Michaels financial woes, and forces him to do his bidding

For some reason, the Undertaker sold his soul to the Million Dollar Man, and is working for him. Is it the Real Undertaker or not?

Eddie Guerrero propositioning Chyna to be his Mamacita

Chris Jericho and Christian teaming up for a "who can get a girlfriend and bang them first" contest, and Jericho keeping this information from Trish Stratus, after they became a couple

Stephanie McMahon impregnated with Triple H's baby (in an effort to get back together with him, when she was a Heel and he was a Face)

Dawn Marie taking a romantic love interest in Al Wilson, Torrie Wilson's father, and planning a wedding

The Gay wedding being planned for Billy and Chuck ... the wedding planning for Teddy Long and Kristal Marshall

Vickie Guerrero cheating on Edge with the Big Show

Mae Young being impregnated by "Sexual Chocolate" Mark Henry

Jake The Snake Roberts mentoring the Ultimate Warrior on a weekly basis to prepare him to meet his destiny against The Undertaker (only to turn on him)

Storylines still happen in this day and age, but like feuds, they are very, very rare. And part of that is either because of lazy booking or simply because McMahon wants it that way, in an effort to portray wrestling as more so of a sport, as opposed to Soap-Opera-like Entertainment for guys, which he used to.

The two are not necessarily linked though. Austin was in a storyline a few years ago where he pissed off every other participant of the Royal Rumble, but he wasn't fueding with them all. Likewise winning or losing streaks (like MVP's last year) are storylines without fueds.

Other than that, Blue Chipper's pretty bang on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back