Steel Cage Forums: A Wrestling Forum That Won't Make You Sick And Kill You

So...you said something which was either wrong or nonsensical and somehow that's my fault?

Also, you complaining about someone discussing semantics in the midst of a discussion which is almost entirely semantic in nature is rather humorous. The fact is no one has died on this hill, we're just engaging in a discussion over the meaning/usage of a word.
Dammit Sly, the idiom "Died on the hill" is semantical as well, I can concede that too. I'm truly, non-semantically, glad that despite this bullshit, no one literally died.

You're 100% right here KJ. This was all handled in a curious and overdone manner, and definitely shouldn't have played out toward Sly or Yaz in the way that it did. My only real issue is the defense I've seen of the term(which should be indefensible once its been brought up as issue, even in an environment where I and others have been conditioned to look the other way) which caused the issue, and the way that its been played for jokes since.

Yeah. Because the consequences of a "noble" man to stand up for a guy who didn't give a damn about being offended (we can see reported posts, never got one about a mod being offensive) seemed to fuck everything up rather than fix it.

You could almost say it was a dumb effort and we're pointing out how stupid it was.

You're 100% right here KJ. This was all handled in a curious and overdone manner, and definitely shouldn't have played out toward Sly or Yaz in the way that it did. My only real issue is the defense I've seen of the term(which should be indefensible once its been brought up as issue, even in an environment where I and others have been conditioned to look the other way) which caused the issue, and the way that its been played for jokes since.
In that, I think you have slightly misunderstood (or maybe not, it just appears from this post you may have)...the things I have posted have not necessarily been a defense of the use of the term, but rather the fact that usage of the word is usually consistent with its definition (including as it was used by Yaz). And implicit within this discussion has been whether or not Yaz should have been punished (by me or anyone else) in the first place.
Dammit Sly, the idiom "Died on the hill" is truly semantical as well
Metaphorical, I believe you mean. ;)

And, yes, I'm aware no one physically died. That wasn't my point.

My apologies, I should be saying "dictionary definition".

They are a recognized authority of meaning of words. Certainly there are examples of words having meanings not included in the dictionary, but society generally accepts a dictionary's definition of a word.

This is incorrect. Dictionaries attempt to describe the meanings to which words are, and critically, were, used by people. They do not dictate correct usage. This is why when people began using the word "Literally" to mean "Figuratively", it was the dictionaries that changed. Most of my dictionaries are in storage at present, but I've got Chambers handy, and literally two minutes browsing found for following definitions:

Long(adj./adv.) = on account of
Measure (v.) = to dance
Meal (v.) = to stain or spot
Mess (n.) = the weight or volume of an object

None of these words mean the definitions I've put alongside them, and if you try and use them as such in public discourse then nobody will understand you and the fault will be entirely yours for communicating badly. Meanings are gained, lost and changed over time as the collective conscious evolves.

Once upon a time they may have meant those things - but that is not how language works. Words mean what people understand them to mean, and as I showed previously by referencing the COCA, the overwhelming majority of society understand "******" to have extreme negative prosody. If you say something that the majority of people consider to be offensive, and people get offended by it, you don't get to point to an archaic and irrelevant document and explain to them that you didn't actually say anything offensive after all.

Best case scenario, you're bad at communicating. Worst case, you're being an arse and trying to use semantics as a shield from taking responsibility for your own words.

Perhaps an example that will be better received would be the use of the word "Negro". That term certainly did not originate as a pejorative, and as I understand your definition, its original meaning should therefore still be perfectly valid. Somehow I doubt that you'd consider it acceptable language to use publicly though.

This is incorrect.
No it is not.

Dictionaries attempt to describe the meanings to which words are, and critically, were, used by people.
They are, for want of a better phrase, the keeper of records when it comes to language.

They do not dictate correct usage.
Society recognizes the definitions of words, as noted in dictionaries.

Language may be fluid but it is not arbitrary. Dictionaries are the method by which society essentially agrees on the meanings of words. You trying to argue dictionaries hold no real authority on meanings of words in society is baffling.

Once upon a time they may have meant those things - but that is not how language works. Words mean what people understand them to mean
And people understand the word "******" in the way I'm describing, even if it is not the only or even the most commonly used way. And, again, if I call you "******ed", I'm using it consistent with its definition.

This really isn't that difficult to understand.

the overwhelming majority of society understand "******" to have extreme negative prosody. If you say something that the majority of people consider to be offensive, and people get offended by it, you don't get to point to an archaic and irrelevant document and explain to them that you didn't actually say anything offensive after all.
Wait, you don't seem to be understanding.

I'm not saying the word isn't used to be insulting. In fact, I've said that I recognize it is. Again, had you paid greater attention to the thread, you'd probably have realized that.

My point isn't that people do not consider it an insult, but rather that it is an insult used within the framework of the word's definition and, as such, is more akin to insults such as "stupid" or "moron" or even, to an extent, insults like "useless" or "worthless". We understand "******" to represent a slowing of understanding or development and when you refuse to understand my argument and I say "you're ******ed", I am using that word consistent with the definition society understands it to hold.

If you're here to try and tell me ONE understanding of the word is that is an insult, then you are wasting both of our time. I've never said otherwise. As I said to Papa, however, "the things I have posted have not necessarily been a defense of the use of the term, but rather the fact that usage of the word is usually consistent with its definition (including as it was used by Yaz). And implicit within this discussion has been whether or not Yaz should have been punished (by me or anyone else) in the first place."

Best case scenario, you're bad at communicating. Worst case, you're being an arse and trying to use semantics as a shield from taking responsibility for your own words.
Again, had you bothered to read, you'd know I wasn't the one to say the word.

I'll tell you what. Until you can demonstrate that you possess an understanding of what is actually being discussed in this thread, I won't bother replying to you. Because it is more than a little annoying to reply to someone who doesn't seem to really understand what is being said.

And, just to be clear, that is not a failure of mine at communication, but rather a failure of yours to comprehend what has been said.

Yes, deeper reading is revealing it to perhaps not be the ideal choice for a streamlined version of the argument. As an expression, it super doesn't play across most of Europe.

Although interestingly, the official definition as denoted by Oxford says that it's offensive across both Europe and the US.

Again, had you bothered to read, you'd know I wasn't the one to say the word.

I'll tell you what. Until you can demonstrate that you possess an understanding of what is actually being discussed in this thread, I won't bother replying to you. Because it is more than a little annoying to reply to someone who doesn't seem to really understand what is being said.

Oh for Pete sake.

Slyfox said:
Well that is just patently false. If you have a mental disability and I say you are mentally ******ed, I'm using the word exactly as it is defined in the dictionary.

Gelgarin said:

If you're going to contrive to interpret that as as a lack of understanding then there's no point talking to you. If you want to have the discussion like an adult then I'm happy to, but if it's just going to be pathetic attempts for you to feel like you "win", then I'm really not interested.

Oh for Pete sake.

If you're going to contrive to interpret that as as a lack of understanding then there's no point talking to you.
But I DIDN'T say that about you, that's the point. Thus, I would have no reason to play semantics to shield from responsibility, since my position has never been about avoiding responsibility or trying to deny the word as an insult. Because of that, there's really only one way to take the comment you made about a shield, which is your lack of understanding of what we're discussing.

When you attempt to make the point I'm saying "I didn't actually say anything offensive after all" in an effort "to use semantics as a shield from taking responsibility for your own words", then you have COMPLETELY missed the point of any and every thing I've posted.

You piggybacked something which wasn't true to something which also wasn't true. You clearly DON'T understand what is being said. Even if I accept your obvious backtracking defense that you were merely responding based on me hypothetically using the phrase, that still doesn't make sense because in my hypothetical I'm never trying to claim it isn't a term of insult nor am I trying to buck responsibility for my words.

You clearly DON'T understand what is being said in this thread and are basically to the point of making things up because you realize you're in the wrong. So, again, take the time to understand the thread and then get back to me.

If you want to have the discussion like an adult then I'm happy to
The only way that can happen is if you bother to comprehend my position as it actually stands and not the strawmen you have tried to ascribe to me.

The ball is in your court. If you want to have a mature discussion, then it is your responsibility to know what the hell we're talking about.

The ball is in your court. If you want to have a mature discussion, then it is your responsibility to know what the hell we're talking about.
Well, to each their own. If it were me, I'd take the time to understand but I guess I can't require you to do so.

Oh well, maybe next time we debate you'll try to understand what is being discussed before you jump in so we can have that adult conversation you claimed you would be happy to have.

Have a good night.

Guys, stop. It was one thing when people were trying to point out how piss poor of a job Crave did and how transparent Taylor was, but the truth is I said something that most people consider offensive. Yeah, Sly is correct, it was once an official medical term. I watched an episode of SVU from the early 2000s a couple of days ago with a mentally challenged man who committed rape and everyone, cops, judge, lawyers, doctors, all referred to him as ******ed. That wasn't even twenty years ago, but it has changed. Because of popular usage, it became offensive. I was upset at a bad poster who I had dealt with multiple times and I crossed a line. I've never denied what I said, I have no desire to get my mod spot back, and would have taken any fair punishment without fuss. Like I've said multiple times, I often let the anonymous nature of the internet lead me into being an ass. I say things I wouldn't say in real life. I got upset, and said something I shouldn't have. Could have been worse, but it was still over a line and I accept that.

There is no use arguing at this point. Taylor won, the forum lost. Nothing has changed, save Sly getting the boot. It looks like nothing will change. If you want to be mad and raise complaints and argue, aim it at those who deserve it.

This does nothing to make me feel better over this.

Guys, stop. It was one thing when people were trying to point out how piss poor of a job Crave did and how transparent Taylor was, but the truth is I said something that most people consider offensive. Yeah, Sly is correct, it was once an official medical term. I watched an episode of SVU from the early 2000s a couple of days ago with a mentally challenged man who committed rape and everyone, cops, judge, lawyers, doctors, all referred to him as ******ed. That wasn't even twenty years ago, but it has changed. Because of popular usage, it became offensive. I was upset at a bad poster who I had dealt with multiple times and I crossed a line. I've never denied what I said, I have no desire to get my mod spot back, and would have taken any fair punishment without fuss. Like I've said multiple times, I often let the anonymous nature of the internet lead me into being an ass. I say things I wouldn't say in real life. I got upset, and said something I shouldn't have. Could have been worse, but it was still over a line and I accept that.

There is no use arguing at this point. Taylor won, the forum lost. Nothing has changed, save Sly getting the boot. It looks like nothing will change. If you want to be mad and raise complaints and argue, aim it at those who deserve it.

This does nothing to make me feel better over this.

No he didn't. He still hasn't gotten that main page spot he's hoping for. Nor have the rules changed. This was all just a cavalcade of mistakes. Each one being bigger than the last. Did you say something bad? Yes you did, you naughty boy, you. But was it against the rules? Nope. For better or worse, it actually was not against the rules. But Rob Taylor decided he had to fight for justice. In the name of making the main pa-I mean to stand up for wrestlingmaster55 who is nowhere to be found in all this and despite being told why there was no case, he went over Sly to Crave. Never actually fixing the problem and just causing a slew of other issues but still deciding to stand his ground while we have a shit ton of broken images on outdated software.

And there's Crave. Who only partly (if we're to believe his stories) listened to Rob, booted you and Sly without figuring out what happened, leaving things for worse and then fucked off.

It's like when I was in school and I was told I'd go to hell for not tucking my shirt in, instead of just telling me that it's a private school and it's disciplinary to follow dress code. I have weird analogies.

Reconsiders Crave not communicating with Sly and how that could have led to some productive understanding.

Reads through this thread and confirms that Crave made the right move.

Pretty sure Yaz used ******ed, not ******. The word ******ed and ******ation have plenty of usage meaning something which is slow or slowed down, as a physics teacher I see it in this context all the time.

I’m not interested in the semantics argument, but if we are going to have thousands of words of argument on it, we should probably at least focus on what was said not a similar word.

Pretty sure Yaz used ******ed, not ******. The word ******ed and ******ation have plenty of usage meaning something which is slow or slowed down, as a physics teacher I see it in this context all the time.

I’m not interested in the semantics argument, but if we are going to have thousands of words of argument on it, we should probably at least focus on what was said not a similar word.

Either way he was offending the mentally handicapped. If he got punched in the face in the real world for it or lost his job I wouldn't be surprised. You can "but dictionary" or "but rules" argue this to death but in the end it would have been very simple to delete the post and move on and nothing would need to change but the admin's here made a stupid mistake and now they and all of us have less of a forum to visit.

Either way he was offending the mentally handicapped. If he got punched in the face in the real world for it or lost his job I wouldn't be surprised. You can "but dictionary" or "but rules" argue this to death but in the end it would have been very simple to delete the post and move on and nothing would need to change but the admin's here made a stupid mistake and now they and all of us have less of a forum to visit.

I guess it’s a cultural thing, but the word doesn’t conjure up that image to me, and I don’t think of it as particularly offensive. But I understand what you’re saying.

What I think needs to be made clear though, if it hasn’t been already, is that this incident was the catalyst, not the cause of the other forums being set up.

I guess it’s a cultural thing, but the word doesn’t conjure up that image to me, and I don’t think of it as particularly offensive. But I understand what you’re saying.

I don't either but I understand that plenty of other people do and in a forum with "rules" it is best to be cautious and careless to do nothing.

What I think needs to be made clear though, if it hasn’t been already, is that this incident was the catalyst, not the cause of the other forums being set up.

I buy that.

Reconsiders Crave not communicating with Sly and how that could have led to some productive understanding.

Reads through this thread and confirms that Crave made the right move.
2) If the dude from Crave had simply said, we find the use of the word “******” to be offensive, a form of bullying, whatever, so I want you to clarify the rules in this regard, issue an apology to the guy who was offended (not his knight in shining armor), and let’s move on, would you have cooperated with his request?
Yes, though the apology would have been on behalf of Crave.
:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back