Sports Mount Rushmores

Paul Bunyan's Axe

Occasional Pre-Show
One of the things a lot of people seemed to be interested in was that whole Lebron James interview talking about an NBA Mount Rushmore. In this thread, it can be open to any sport. NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, Lacrosse, Tennis, whatever works for you. I'm going to do three; MLB, NBA, and NFL, because those are the sports I follow closely. Now, the main thing that will influence my list is not the best players, but the players who made the biggest impact in their sport.

NBA:

Michael Jordan: Easy choice. I don't know how this list would not have Jordan on it.

Magic Johnson: When Magic came into the league, it wasn't a great time for the NBA. The Finals were on tape delay, and the game was close to bankrupt. His rivalry with Larry Bird and the Celtics though, made a lot more people care about the NBA, and basketball as a whole.

Larry Bird: Mostly for the same reasons as Magic.

Wilt Chamberlain: The first four are easy, in my opinion, but the fourth one is where you'll see more differing opinions. I go with Chamberlian though, simply because of all the rules that were changed because of him.

MLB:

Jackie Robinson: This is an easy one for me, really. He didn't just make a big impact on the MLB, he made a great impact on the entire country.

Babe Ruth: The greatest slugger of all time, and he was such a big figure in the 1920s that he has to be on the list as well.

Ted Williams: Ted Williams impact doesn't show on the game as much in the statistics, but that is mostly because he was serving in two different wars in the midst of his prime.

Hank Aaron: Mays is close, but I went with Aaron on the final spot.

NFL:

Jerry Rice: He's considered by most to be the best player of any position, and an obvious choice.

Jim Brown: The big guy changed the game for Running Backs a ton.

Lawerence Taylor: Gotta have a defensive player, and Lawerence Taylor is probably the best defensive player to ever step on the field.

Don Hutson: Someone reading this might say "Who the hell is Don Hutson?" Well, Don Hutson made a major impact in the NFL. Hutson played in the NFL for 11 years. He led the league in receptions 8 of those years, yards seven times, and touchdowns nine times. He piled up more than impressive stats, and this was at a time when the league ran the ball a large amount of the time. Back when Hutson played, throwing the ball was considered too risky. He changed that, and paved the way for the receivers of the future, which is why he belongs on my Mount Rushmore.

I have actually been deliberating over this exact concept for quite some time. Not so much in the sense of and entire sport. Far be it from me to name the four greatest players in any one sport. But, more specifically I have been mulling over who I think the four greatest Pacers of all time are. Now, I think I have made my final decision on this matter, but I change my mind a lot so I don't know. The four Pacers who would be on the Mount Rushmore in Bankers Life Field house would have to be:

Mel Daniels: Daniels was the ABA Pacers. He won 3 championships, as well a 2 time ABA MVP. He never played in the NBA, but you had best believe if he had he would have gone down as one of the greatest big men in the history of that association. He still works with the Pacers and is credited with being the man who gave Reggie Miller his confidence. "Uncle" Mel would be the first face carved in the mountain.

Roger Brown: Another ABA Pacers mainstay. He won 3 championships as well. Add on an ABA playoffs MVP and a short run with the NBA Pacers. He was the second man to ever have his jersey retired by the Pacers. Often forgotten by mainstream NBA fans, but never duplicated, this Indianapolis native helped prove the Pacers dominance in the 70's.

Jermaine O'Neal: O'Neal is one of the most overlooked and underrated big men of the last 25 years. He essentially developed from nothing. Portland had all but given up on him and Larry Bird took a chance. Since his Pacers days he's made the rounds in the NBA, but his 8 seasons with the Pacers proved how good he was. Named the Most Improved Player in 2002, he went on to be a 6 time all-star, one time all NBA second team, and two time all NBA third team. Despite his minor roll in the "Malice in the Palace" incident, he has been nothing short of a model citizen and role model.

And last, but certainly not least.

Reggie Miller: What needs to be said? He's the all time leading scorer in Pacers history with 25,279 points. He is second in career three pointers. He is a 5 time NBA all-star, 3 time all NBA third team, and the man who put the dagger in the New York Knicks heart more times than anyone else. He is one of the greatest trash talkers, but also one of the greatest competitors and sportsman of all time. He played his entire career with the Pacers, and is the man who really put Indiana sports on the map. There wasn't a whole lot to go on before him, besides the Indiana Hoosiers.

Well, I think my list is pretty solid and the best men have made the mountain. Honorable mentions have to go out to Bob "Slick" Leonard, Dr. Jack Ramsey, Rik Smits, Danny Granger, Paul George and Roy Hibbert. Obviously, the latter two didn't make the cut because of their age, but the others are just as worthy as the four I chose. This was fun. I may have to do another.

I'm going to answer it based on people I've seen in the sports I follow so my choices will be football, rugby, cricket, athletics and horse racing.

Rugby - Martain Johnson - captain of the England team that won the rugby World cup in 2003. Just an all round beast of a player and the type of guy you'd want beside you in a war. The way he played and inspired those around him is just breathtaking...plus he was in Australia and walking round the streets of Sydney with the trophy, hoping some Aussies would give it the large. Geezer!

Horse Racing - AP McCoy....over 4,000 career winners is a pretty amazing feet in itself, even more amazing when he doesn't show any sign of slowing down and, having seen others ride some of them, it's amazing he manages to win when he does.

Athletics - Steve Redgraves. 5 gold medals in 5 consecutive Olympic games in Rowing. Never seen the like before, doubt we'll see the likes again...Legend.

Cricket - Ian Botham. Commentates like he played, straight to the point, no bullshit and, again, always inspired those around him to up his game...plus he made me eat shredded wheat, so he helped my health too!

Football - Lionel Messi. Quite possibly the best player to ever play the game. It's even more annoying because he's as humble as he is talented.

I'm Canadian, so obviously I'm going to do hockey. It's actually probably one of the easier ones to figure out.

1. Wayne Gretzky: forget about the Rock, this guy is the real Great One. He stands above everyone else.
2. Bobby Orr: the greatest defenseman in NHL history. Another obvious choice behind Wayne.
3. Mario Lemieux: another guy who was completely dominant, using both size and skill. Multiple Stanley Cups, a shit load of points, Mario definitely deserves a spot.
4. Patrick Roy: the greatest goalie of all time.

Honorable mention to Gordie Howe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back