Social Networking: Are You In?

Myspace Since I'm not a 14 year old emo kid, I don't use it. I used to like it but not anymore.

Facebook
I deleted this but then I realised how many people I only had contact with on the book (old colleagues, school friends, cousins etc)

Twitter I use mainly to plug my blog. It's great for breaking news, and being a huge football fan it's good for getting team news before the news outlets get it.

I prefer Twitter as to me it seems less invasive (like on FB you get tagged in a random photo from a night out three years ago, that doesn't happen on twitter).

I understand the fact that people choose to put information on there, the point is, WHY SHOULD YOU GIVE A DAMN WHAT SOMEONE IS DOING? You see what other people tweet, why? to keep up with what someone else is doing. Definition of stalk is..

By definition, following someones twitter is stalking. how is that ignorant? Explain? Following is the entire part of TWITTER!

Stalking is harassing someone by following them around, invading their privacy, unknowingly or without their consent. If you put something on Twitter, you are sharing these things intentionally. If I tell someone I just had some cereal, I wouldn't call them a stalker for knowing that I just had cereal. Don't be intentionally fucking obtuse by arguing semantics.

I have Facebook, Twitter and one that gets overlooked, Tumblr. Myspace I stopped using years ago.

I signed up to FB in 2006 when it was in the phase of being for Uni Students only and it's caught on. Effectively, this works as a bridge to contact people that I don't have their number on or which to arrange meet ups, it's basically my personal side and giving an insight into my life.

Twitter, I signed up purely to help plug my work as encouraged by a friend last year (I did avoid it for so long), but admittedly, I caught onto the twitter-bug of following celebs, etc. I tend to use twitter more than facebook nowadays and I've managed to make a newer network with people because of twitter while plugging my work.

Finally, Tumblr, I only just signed up, but it's a combo of Facebook and Twitter, why use this? This is because where Twitter failed to be "work-based only", I needed something to maintain that and that's what Tumblr is for, I use it to blog about my work and promote my website. Yeah things like gifs and whatnot sometimes bring it down, but as said, it works for the purpose I intended and I will continue to use it for that.

The one thing I always feel to keep importantly is a distance between all three of them, only at times will certain views be shared on either accounts, though my Tumblr is my business element so when I post in that, it links to my FB and T accounts because I need that service there. But Facebook and Twitter never blend for me, I have different audiences, same reason with WZ, I rarely cross my personal life into this forum because you know me for certain reasons here and not for the reasons others know me on FB/Twitter, etc. I use them for different intentions.

Stalking is harassing someone by following them around, invading their privacy, unknowingly or without their consent. If you put something on Twitter, you are sharing these things intentionally. If I tell someone I just had some cereal, I wouldn't call them a stalker for knowing that I just had cereal. Don't be intentionally fucking obtuse by arguing semantics.

Lol, okay. Thanks. Even with definitions, you still can't understand how I equate twitter to stalking? Just because you love Twitter does not mean that it is perfect. If you have your window open while you eat cereal and I walk by and notice you eating cereal, that's fine, (I used open window because it isn't illegal, atleast where I am) but, if I deliberately look into your window to see you eating cereal, you would be perfectly fine with that? Why does anyone even go on twitter? to conversate? no. it's to be nosy and see what others are doing. Openly stalking.

Just like somebody going to LeBron James' twitter and saying derogatory comments over and over about "The Decision", that isn't stalking? Or how about how some people, including some of the WZF guys, going to John Cena's and talking about how much they hate him. That isn't stalking? That isn't harrassment? Or how about the fact that some people check twitter everyday because they are obsessed with what Ashton Kutcher is doing every second of every day? I guess that isn't stalking either.

I found this interesting too, Here’s 4 reasons why Twitter builds a healthy appetite for stalking:

1. It encourages you to follow people you are already clearly obsessed with. Early warning signs of a stalker to be.

2. It gets fans one step closer to celebrities & high profile internet entrepreneurs. Twitter has to be the only social network that celebrities actually use themselves… at least that what appears to be going on behind these famous Twitter handles.

3. The fact that you have to constantly type in the person your @mentioning creates a recurring cycle in your brain of repetition of the person you’re
(stalking) following on Twitter.

4. Last but not least. After so many @mentions and DM’s to the stalkee with no signs of them knowing you exist it forces the follower/stalker to find other means of getting the stalkee to acknowledge there 140 characters of Twitter love.

Also, there's actually a word for it, it's called cyberstalking. And guess what, twitter has cyber-stalking cases on the rise. But you won't listen to facts and definitions anyway, so why bother? So how about we just agree to disagree, and you keep twittering or whatever and I keep saying that your cyber-stalking. Deal? Lol.

And how can you call someone an idiot just because they don't see things like you do? You obviously don't know me, but that's fine. That's what the internet has created. Cyber-stalking bold talking superpeople who are invincible and ruthless..... yeah right. But debating is good practice for me so keep it up. Maybe I'll go and post something on twitter about it.

Lol, okay. Thanks. Even with definitions, you still can't understand how I equate twitter to stalking?

No.

Just because you love Twitter does not mean that it is perfect.

I never said I love Twitter, nor did I say it was perfect. Further, it has absolutely zero relevance to the discussion. Basically, cool argument, bro.

If you have your window open while you eat cereal and I walk by and notice you eating cereal, that's fine, (I used open window because it isn't illegal, atleast where I am) but, if I deliberately look into your window to see you eating cereal, you would be perfectly fine with that?

If my window were in a place where people are invited to come and watch me eat cereal, then no, I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. Your analogy is shit. Twitter is a place where an open privacy setting is an invitation for strangers to view what you post. I'm not going to walk around with something written on my shirt and get all pissed off an paranoid when people stop to read it.

Why does anyone even go on twitter? to conversate? no. it's to be nosy and see what others are doing. Openly stalking.

You've shown here that you have no idea what you're talking about, and you're making up your own idea of what kind of people are attracted to Twitter simply to be insulting.

Just like somebody going to LeBron James' twitter and saying derogatory comments over and over about "The Decision", that isn't stalking?

No. It's not stalking. Lebron James' Twitter account is open for anyone to see. If he didn't want people viewing or responding to his Twitter, then he could very easily change the settings to disallow people to do so. But he doesn't, so it's an invitation.

Or how about how some people, including some of the WZF guys, going to John Cena's and talking about how much they hate him. That isn't stalking? That isn't harrassment?

No, it's not. You can walk up to anyone and say anything you'd like. Following John Cena around, and lurking around his private property, and, you know, actually harassing John Cena would be stalking. If you think telling John Cena that he sucks is stalking by any stretch of the imagination, then you have problems beyond anything this discussion can help you with.

Or how about the fact that some people check twitter everyday because they are obsessed with what Ashton Kutcher is doing every second of every day? I guess that isn't stalking either.

Ashton Kutcher's Twitter is open for anyone to view.

Also, there's actually a word for it, it's called cyberstalking. And guess what, twitter has cyber-stalking cases on the rise. But you won't listen to facts and definitions anyway, so why bother?

Your "facts" are twisted and warped definitions you're using to apply your version of logic to the argument. That's called arguing semantics, and it makes you look like a complete fool.

So how about we just agree to disagree, and you keep twittering or whatever and I keep saying that your cyber-stalking. Deal? Lol.

Er, actually no deal. You posting on a public forum that I'm cyber-stalking someone simply for using Twitter is called "libel," which is an infinite amount of times more against the law than using Twitter is.

And how can you call someone an idiot just because they don't see things like you do? You obviously don't know me, but that's fine. That's what the internet has created. Cyber-stalking bold talking superpeople who are invincible and ruthless..... yeah right. But debating is good practice for me so keep it up. Maybe I'll go and post something on twitter about it.

:lmao:

I don't see things the way you do, because I see things logically and coherently, as opposed to someone who thinks using Twitter is automatically cyber-stalking.

Myspace: Never used it, probably never will now that it's popularity has gone down now.

Facebook: I find it staggering that my boss learns an employee has flown off to Philly via freakin' Facebook as opposed to the telephone, but it seems that's the popular thing now. I don't like it. I don't take pictures and if I don't call you or visit your house, there is probably a good reason why.

Twitter: Literally opened an account for the sole purpose of hassling Dixie Carter. Other than that, I take the fact that you need "twit" so say Twitter, close to heart. I don't care enough about celebrities to check out when they are in the bathroom or when they leave for a club.

Yeah, I sound a bit like an antisocial prick. I guess I am. But the thing is, if I want to socialize I want the full experience. Personal interaction. Face to face. I don't want to see what my dad has posted in his Facebook. I want to see him personally. I don't want to chat via test. I want to hear his voice. MSN (with cam and mic) and a phone are social outputs for me. Facebook, Twitter and all that are nothing more than public billboards. Socializing is something you do in person not via a computer.

What, the forums? Discussing and shutting random breezes =/= socializing.

Why does anyone even go on twitter? to conversate? no.

WRRRRRRROOOOONG

I go on Twitter to "conversate" regularly. I have a selection of people I love to talk to because they're interesting and nice. @ replies get sent to my phone, so it's no different from texting except I use a medium that isn't telephone numbers. I also use Twitter to roleplay as different characters and interact with other fictional character accounts. So yes, people go on Twitter to talk to other people, hence why it's called a "social" network and why @ replies were invented.

As for your stalking argument, if someone didn't want others to know what they were up to, they wouldn't be tweeting about it, or even open up a Twitter account in the first place.

Don't talk about things you don't understand.

Myspace: Who doesn't have a myspace? Seriously back in the early days of high school/middle school myspace was the be all of be all. If you didn't have one you obviously were behind the ages. Myspace was cool while it lasted, but that it became irritating and less user friendly because of....

Facebook: Yup Facebook practically destroyed myspace. Facebook is heavily user friendly and pretty much everyone is getting one nowadays. Given the added effect of certain games and you have a fun experience. And finally...

Twitter: The stalking system of the social network. I never saw the use of twitter, but I got one for shits and giggles and now I'm in love with it. It is especially fun if you know a lot of people who use it and have a vast interest of people to follow as well. It is fun to see what is on people's mind. @BeardedTheo if you're interested ;)

So to wrap this bad boy up I consistently use twitter and facebook, as I find them entertaining and just a good way to shoot the shit with people and stay connected with the modern world.

I fail to see the problems people say regarding Facebook. If you don't want one, that's completely up to you, but people come up with a load of stupid reasons that they're a bad thing.

Sure, I could go meet, call or text someone if I needed to speak to them, and I do that with many of my friends. But what about those of us who have friends currently living in different countries? With friends who don't have a working mobile, or credit on said mobile to have a conversation? Facebook is a free, fast and easy to use way of keeping in touch with friends and having conversations.

'Embarrasing things' get put on there - well, you could always stop doing embarrasing things or not put them on Facebook? You know, don't get so drunk you threw up and a friend took a picture? Don't be smoking weed in front of a camera, don't write something bad about your boss when they're on your friend list?

Social Networking sites will always be used by some to get the highest number of 'friends' - but for many it's a simple and easy way of keeping in touch with friends whom you may otherwise lose touch with, or to find friends you lost contact with back when mobile phones weren't very common.

I also have a Twitter, but I use it to follow/stalk Shawn Michaels on an hourly basis :) And that's about it.

I have a Facebook. I use it only as a convenient way to keep in touch with people for school, work, and other "creative endeavors" I'm involved in (vague so you know it's none of your business). Purely utilitarian is my use of the beast. I don't particularly like it. I have no interest in knowing what most of my friends are doing and have no interest in advertising personal information about myself. I don't allow posts on my wall as I find that helps discourage unwanted attention. If it's important, you'll inbox me, text me, or call me. If it's really important, I'll contact you. All things considered, there's a good and a bad to the whole sordid affair. Such is the case with anything. I like that I have such easy access to anyone I would need to get in contact with. On the other hand, Facebook and other modern social networking marvels seem to facilitate a culture where people don't know how to spend time alone or keep a single solitary thought to them self. Many people would of course be like that with or without the medium Facebook provides, but the existence of it seems to help people flaunt this undesirable aspect of humanity in a disconcerting way. That said, I don't sit around lamenting the state of things like this. I have better things to do. Like ignore your texts and inbox messages.

Color me indifferent.

You've shown here that you have no idea what you're talking about, and you're making up your own idea of what kind of people are attracted to Twitter simply to be insulting.

Actually, it has no reason to be insulting, because that's not what i'm doing at all. I'm simply stating my opinion. Twitter allows you to write a sentence of what, 150 characters or whatever it is? Majority of the people on twitter go on there not for conversation (Remember the word majority doesn't mean "All" or "Every", so the statement "I don't do that" doesn't mean that you are the majority or that you represent the whole.) If you want to conversate, why not find a better way to do so? There are hundreds of instant messagers, and emails. Why not use those? Because everybody can't read those, thats why. Because you can't read everyone elses? If people are looking for conversations, why did twitter overtake other social sites? Because twitter allows you to be "closer" to celebrities?

No. It's not stalking. Lebron James' Twitter account is open for anyone to see. If he didn't want people viewing or responding to his Twitter, then he could very easily change the settings to disallow people to do so. But he doesn't, so it's an invitation.

No, it's not. You can walk up to anyone and say anything you'd like. Following John Cena around, and lurking around his private property, and, you know, actually harassing John Cena would be stalking. If you think telling John Cena that he sucks is stalking by any stretch of the imagination, then you have problems beyond anything this discussion can help you with.

Ashton Kutcher's Twitter is open for anyone to view.

Those guys, like LeBron, have their settings the way they are so they could feel "close to the fans". And although they have it there for anyone to view, my question is still, why? why would someone want to know that? It's not because they are obsessed with them? Is obsession not the cause of stalking?

Er, actually no deal. You posting on a public forum that I'm cyber-stalking someone simply for using Twitter is called "libel," which is an infinite amount of times more against the law than using Twitter is.

Actually, your libel case would have no merit because I never said you were cyberstalking someone. I am stating my opinion on what I think Twitter is, cyberstalking. Libel is a form of defamation. Defamation has to do with your reputation and your name. You say following someone, and I say cyberstalking. Now if I were to say "[Your Name Here] is cyberstalking LeBron James" than maybe you would have a case. But my general statement of my opinion is simply that. If that was the case, I would be defamating the entire Twitter nation, not just you. Now it could be a libel case for twitter, but they would have to prove that Twitter isn't cyberstalking in court. (Yeah, good luck with that, Twitter.) And I can guarantee I'm not the first to say that.

I don't see things the way you do, because I see things logically and coherently, as opposed to someone who thinks using Twitter is automatically cyber-stalking.

No, you don't see things the way I do, not because of logic or coherency, but because you are head strong and stubborn. No matter what anyone says, you'll stand by your ideas. And that's cool. We won't ever see eye to eye on this subject, but i see it as anything else, either you like it and do it, hate it and not do it, or don't give a shit about it. You are on the "do it" side, and I'm on the "not do it" side. I just don't care about what anyone else is doing enough to ever read it. And I'm not obsessed with anyone enough to "follow" them and read their little 150 word update of their life.

Actually, it has no reason to be insulting, because that's not what i'm doing at all. I'm simply stating my opinion.

And your opinion is insulting. You're calling a bunch of people stalkers because they choose to use a website you don't like. You're being a dick whether you intend to or not.

Twitter allows you to write a sentence of what, 150 characters or whatever it is?

I don't know why you keep bringing up the character limit when your main argument is about cyber-stalking, or whatever.

If you want to conversate, why not find a better way to do so? There are hundreds of instant messagers, and emails. Why not use those?

Because I choose not to, and it's none of your goddamn business why.

Because everybody can't read those, thats why. Because you can't read everyone elses? If people are looking for conversations, why did twitter overtake other social sites? Because twitter allows you to be "closer" to celebrities?

No, because people enjoy being on a soapbox, and talking to an audience. Also, you don't really get to tell people what their reasons are for using a website you disapprove of. There are lots and lots of people who use Twitter to get updates from news, celebrities, events, and all kinds of information that's not available anywhere else.

Those guys, like LeBron, have their settings the way they are so they could feel "close to the fans". And although they have it there for anyone to view, my question is still, why? why would someone want to know that? It's not because they are obsessed with them? Is obsession not the cause of stalking?

Again, none of your goddamn business, that's why. If they are opening themselves up to be closer to the fans, then the fans who feel close to their celebrities are not stalking. You can't tell people, "HEY, COME FOLLOW ME AROUND," and then call the police on them for stalking.

Actually, your libel case would have no merit because I never said you were cyberstalking someone. I am stating my opinion on what I think Twitter is, cyberstalking. Libel is a form of defamation. Defamation has to do with your reputation and your name. You say following someone, and I say cyberstalking. Now if I were to say "[Your Name Here] is cyberstalking LeBron James" than maybe you would have a case. But my general statement of my opinion is simply that. If that was the case, I would be defamating the entire Twitter nation, not just you. Now it could be a libel case for twitter, but they would have to prove that Twitter isn't cyberstalking in court. (Yeah, good luck with that, Twitter.) And I can guarantee I'm not the first to say that.

Actually, if you cared to apply any kind of logic at all, you'd know that you actually did say that using Twitter is cyberstalking. Therefore, the people who use Twitter are cyberstalking.

But don't worry, I'm not going to press charges simply because you're a moron.

No, you don't see things the way I do, not because of logic or coherency, but because you are head strong and stubborn. No matter what anyone says, you'll stand by your ideas. And that's cool. We won't ever see eye to eye on this subject, but i see it as anything else, either you like it and do it, hate it and not do it, or don't give a shit about it. You are on the "do it" side, and I'm on the "not do it" side. I just don't care about what anyone else is doing enough to ever read it. And I'm not obsessed with anyone enough to "follow" them and read their little 150 word update of their life.

Cool. But you are also not everyone else. You also don't get to make up a new definition for stalking and apply it to real-life situations.

1. It encourages you to follow people you are already clearly obsessed with. Early warning signs of a stalker to be.

First, I think everything you've said here is Bullshit, but Mozzarella is doing a great job of debating everything you say so I won't repeat. One thing I seriously don't understand, though, is how you made such a strong connection between 'following on Twitter' and 'already clearly obsessed with'. It's just such an absurd connection to make, and one which makes no sense in almost any situation.

Just because someone presses one button on a website - that to 'follow' a persons updates it doesn't then, for want of a better word, follow that they are obsessed with a person. Furthermore, if someone didn't want their 'fans' to know something about them, they shouldn't/wouldn't put it on Twitter where those people are watching. If Twitter is stalking, as you seem to suggest - well it makes no sense. You can't ask to be stalked; by it's very definition stalking is unwanted attention. And if people didn't want to be 'followed' they wouldn't make the account, thus inviting people to follow them.

Again, none of your goddamn business, that's why. If they are opening themselves up to be closer to the fans, then the fans who feel close to their celebrities are not stalking. You can't tell people, "HEY, COME FOLLOW ME AROUND," and then call the police on them for stalking.

Okay, so you are saying that it's none of my business but you also said it's their for the public? So wouldn't it be my business? If your "logic" is that it's public, how come it isn't everyone's business? Am I not included in everyone? You eating cereal shouldn't be my business. Neither should most of the other stuff posted on their, if you want to get on the subject of someone's business. If someone where to openly follow you everywhere a celebrity went in public, to all the shows, to all the hotels, to all the concerts, to every place that they talk at, which is all in the open, which is all in public places, like the internet, would you honestly not feel like they are stalking someone? Or think that they are obsessed? But because it's openly on the internet that changes things? Let me throw another word out there that many would associate with that... groupie. So would that be better? If I admit that Twitter isn't stalking, but it's for being a groupie?

stalk 2 (stôk)
v. stalked, stalk·ing, stalks
v.intr.
1. To walk with a stiff, haughty, or angry gait: stalked off in a huff.
2. To move threateningly or menacingly.
3. To track prey or quarry.
v.tr.
1. To pursue by tracking stealthily.
2. To follow or observe (a person) persistently, especially out of obsession or derangement.
3. To go through (an area) in pursuit of prey or quarry.
By definition, following someones twitter is stalking. how is that ignorant? Explain? Following is the entire part of TWITTER!

I've stayed out of this since Mozz has been handling quite fine on his own, but this part just irks me. You're trying to use the fact that following is a possible attribute of a stalker but you're failing to acknowledge that there a several uses for the word follow. You're using it in it's most literal form, like to say that since I'm in a car behind you with the intention of going where you are going, I'm following you. But following someone on Twitter is not the same thing.

To keep oneself informed of the course, progress, or fortunes of

You see what I'm getting at here? To follow someone on Twitter would be the equivalent of following the New York Yankees. You watch every game, you scout the upcoming teams they play so you could have an idea of how well they're going to do, and you keep up with what's goings on in the front office. Now, would you consider that stalking or would it be the actions of a devoted fan?

Just for kicks, here's a small example. Let's say for the sake of argument that Lebron James tweeted the following(look, another use for the word follow):

LeBronJames: Be sure to watch me tomorrow on The View!!

Now one who is a devoted fan might have a few different reactions to this.

1. Man, I love me some Lebron, but I'm not going to watch that shit.

2. I hate The View but if Lebron is on it I have to watch!!

Just a couple of examples. However, if a someone who stalks Lebron saw such a thing, one could expect them to be trying to figure out how long it would take them to get there, which dressing room he's in, boy I really want to get in there and smell his underwear, etc.

There are several different ways to define what stalking means, but being a devoted enough fan that you want to know what's going on with your favorite athletes/celebrities isn't one of them.

Okay, so you are saying that it's none of my business but you also said it's their for the public? So wouldn't it be my business? If your "logic" is that it's public, how come it isn't everyone's business? Am I not included in everyone? You eating cereal shouldn't be my business.

Then don't follow me on Twitter. Problem solved. If you choose to, then me eating cereal is going to become your business, because I have intentionally given up that information, not because you stalked me. And it'll be my decision to give up that information.

The people who follow me on Twitter don't know anything about me that I haven't willingly spoken about.

Neither should most of the other stuff posted on their, if you want to get on the subject of someone's business. If someone where to openly follow you everywhere a celebrity went in public, to all the shows, to all the hotels, to all the concerts, to every place that they talk at, which is all in the open, which is all in public places, like the internet, would you honestly not feel like they are stalking someone?

No. You don't know what stalking means. Quit using words you don't understand.

Or think that they are obsessed? But because it's openly on the internet that changes things? Let me throw another word out there that many would associate with that... groupie. So would that be better? If I admit that Twitter isn't stalking, but it's for being a groupie?

Being a groupie is nothing like being a stalker, actually. For you to come to this little epiphany as if you had two valid terms to use and just decided to randomly use "stalker"... I just can't even.

I just love how you think you're able to decide why everybody on Twitter uses Twitter and twist it fit into your insultingly narrow minded thoughts of them. If you are going to attempt to debate with someone, at least learn your basic third grade vocabulary, so I don't feel like I should be speaking to you on a salary.

On a side note, if you really want to know why I use Twitter, it's because I have a lot of thoughts that take up half a line of space, and Twitter is a better medium for expressing those thoughts rather than a blog or a forum. Completely shatters your little theory though, doesn't it?

I have a facebook and twitter. Not a whole lot to really say about facebook, everyone knows what it is.

Twitter I don't really use often to tweet, I just follow a lot of sports writers and entertainment writers to see their latest articles or articles they link to. Breaking news comes across twitter a lot too. It is good for a few laughs and a lot of interesting reading for me.

facebook....ok,very good for long distance friendships,fun to take the piss..!
twitter...sucks balls,very boring signed up ,then signed out...again though you can take the piss quite alot here...!!!!

I use Twitter and have a private account. I only follow a few celebs and friends. I keep it private b/c of my job. It keeps me protected :)

I never had a Facebook...it seems like to much potential trouble.

I like Twitter just to say random shit and creep out my buds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back