Social Networking: Are You In?

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You don't have to “like” this thread or tweet about it to your followers.

That being said, I would love to get your feelings about something that I believe to be a rather polarising aspect of modern civilisation. You hear people talking about how much they hate Facebook, Myspace and Twitter but for every single one of those people, there is always someone else who will defend them to the death. So, let's take a look at the social networking sites and see who here is in on them.

Facebook

Definitely the most popular social networking site on the internet. Mark Zuckerberg is worth £12 billion these days. Considering that he literally didn't have a fucking penny to this name when he started Facebook should tell you all you need to know about this venture. Over the last couple of years, Facebook has come into it's own world and is capitalising on the popularity of social networking. For me, this is the premier social networking site and with a user base of around 600 million people, you can bet that most of the people you know will have an account.

Myspace

My thoughts about Myspace are pretty negative if I am being frank. Here's the thing about Myspace, it really was the first social networking site that I had heard of and it was cashing on on it's fame for the most part. People like Lily Allen came through Myspace to go onto have pretty successful careers in music and that cannot be underestimated. It's portal way of thinking has been really damaging over the last couple of years though. Whilst Twitter and Facebook have been constantly developing new ways of getting people involved, Myspace seems to be content to be based around music and not about connecting the everyday user to his friends. Maybe that is why they have seen such a decline in their user base. Still, at 35 million people for a user base, they are not doing too shabbily.

Twitter

Or as I call it, Twat-ter. Really, I have no reason to hate Twitter any more than I hate Facebook or Myspace but Twitter really manages to niggle away at me. Maybe it is because of the excessive celebrity use, or the fact that WrestleZone only reports things they hear on Twitter. Or maybe it is because everyone and their dog has a Twitter account that may be the least fun and least entertaining social medium in the world. I swear, when I signed up to Twitter, I read that Ashton Kutcher had just ate a grape... Fuck off, Kutcher! With a user base of around 300 million people, it is slowly making it's way up the ranks and with it sitting at 9th in the Alexa rankings, you can bet that Twitter is no going away any time soon.

So, which ones do you have? Or, are you like a number people in this world that does not do social networking sites?

Me? I am on Facebook and that is it. Facebook has literally become a social hub in Scotland. Every single one of my friends, bar none, have an account and if you don't have one then you are going to be left behind, it is becoming that serious an epidemic. That being said, I like Facebook and I think it is the most usable social networking site on the internet. I would never sign up for Twat-ter or Myspace any more simply because they are messy and lack the entertainment factor that Facebook does.

I think these things are crap. I always felt like if you want "friends" than go your fucking ass outside and meet some damn body. I think that some aspects of it are great, like getting in touch with old classmates and family, but for the most part, i think it's crap.

Facebook- My wife made me one, because my family kept contacting her on it so she made me one so I could get in contact with them. Do I use it? Hell no. I think it's a waste of time. I have a phone, if I want to talk to someone far away (I live in a different state than my family) I'd call them. If not, than oh well. I think that most of the time, the people on facebook making "friends" are the same people who nobody talks to in public.

Myspace- When this was hot, I got on it because my older cousin told me that this was where the hoes was at. I got on (before I got married, and it wasn't to someone I met online like a lot of the dumb as stories I hear about that) and found tons of females on it, but other than girls from other states, most of them I saw at school or I could have seen around the hood, they just act more "friendly" and hoeish behind a computer screen.

Stalker... I mean Twitter- This is the ultimate in stalking. You can tell when someone goes to take a shit in the morning. What is the point of it? Why should i even want to know some of the shit posted on here. I don't have one of these accounts because I don't care what the hell anyone had to eat for breakfast, or that they just finished brushing their teeth and are now drinking a diet coke. Who gives a shit!

This is always an interesting topic!

Facebook
I've got an account on Facebook and I'm a regular user. What I love about the site is that all my long distance friends are there and we keep in touch. It takes away our time, I admit that but don't hate on Facebook, it all depends on the user.

Twitter
I've got an account on Twitter and it's pretty boring. I log in there like once a month.. I find tweeting at celebrities just to get ignored is hilarious. BUT some DO tweet back and yeah, it feels good. Lol

Myspace
I've got an account on Myspace and the first time I logged in was the last time.

Facebook
Yes, I have one. Very useful to check up on friends and talk to a few people I know in real life (and a few I don't). I don't bother with the extended features or games, though.

Twitter
Now this is awesome. I love Twitter! You see, I have a ton on my mind at all times, so Twitter's a useful outlet. Plus, it syncs with my phone, so I can text people who are miles away, or even on the other side of the world. Any reply to me from people I follow is delivered to my hpone via texting and that means I can text them right back. Wonderful. I've met some great people I talk to over Twitter, and I also like seeing what wrestlers and celebs have to say. It's how I know when Calvin Harris has a new song out, for example.

But all that is nothing compared with how creative someone can be on Twitter. You see, I have several fictional accounts that interact with other fictional accounts, to create this huge story, all told through Twitter. It's really awesome! The accounts I use are @SlickPatel (Matthew Patel from the Scott Pilgrim series) and @ActionSaxton (my WZCW character). It's a great new method of character portrayal that's concise and creative.

On top of all that, Twitter can be great for advertising. I mean, even Wrestlezone Forums has a Twitter where it posts news on new threads and site news. You can follow that - @WZForums. Interest groups, news sites, and more all use Twitter. I get the headlines from CNN on there and it's a good way to keep abreast of the news.

I think Twitter's main problem is that the website is beyond awful. That's why I use the awesome program Tweetdeck, which manages multiple Twitter accoutns, is easy to use and navigate, and when you get a new tweet it posts it at the top of the screen for a short time, so you can see what's going on without having to constantly open the Twitter tab in your favorite web browser.

I think social networking is a new and interesting way to interact with people, but it's only as fun as you let it be. I didn't see the point of Twitter until I got it on my phone, made some friends, and started the roleplaying accounts. Now I love it.

I wish more WZCW characters were on Twitter. That would be pretty funny.

I'm not a very big fan of social networking, if I'm going to be social with somebody I would rather do it in person because I enjoy somebody's company.
I do find that they are a good way of keeping track of people and their daily activities when they are not around but my god some people take it wayy to seriously, and that's what turns me off.

Facebook: I didn't mind Facebook when it first came out because it was new and fresh and was quite convenient for awhile. Back then there wasn't much going on really and it was relatively simple and easy to keep up to date with current agendas and what not. Now people just obsess over the thing, I've seen people waste hours on Facebook, people who update their statues every god damn 30 seconds, people who hang out with a group of friends who then proceed to spend all their time on facebook than with the people they are actually hanging out with. I was seriously hanging out with some friends one night and the chick I was with spend all night on the computer and on facebook chatting with one of her other chick friends..turns out that other friend just lived the next street over. Like what the fuck? You spend all that time of Facebook when you could have easily taken a 4 minute walk to her place and talked all kinds of gossiped and shit in person. Now its all about "liking" this or "liking" that, like come on..wheres the fuck off button? I haven't used facebook in damn near 2 years, it was only recently that I went on their to delete my account. I'm glad I'm not one of those Facebook obsessions.

Twitter: I don't see any point in...its like texting but only on the computer. OMG I just took a shit!...Congratulations you twat! You just told the entire fucking world that you just took a shit! Very productive stuff you got going on huh? Or OMG I just ate a grape! :wtf: NO WAY!?! now tweet about all the other single grapes your going to eat! I'm sure the whole world is just dying to know how many you have left! I'm sorry but I just seen no point in twitter, fucking useless.

How I miss the days when people actually got together to socialize. I'm not against social networking as it could be a great and new way to interact with your fellow people, however I'm not completely for them as I have seen one to many people obsesses over them. Every time I think of FaceBook I can't help but think of the South Park episode where everybody pressured Stan to get a Facebook account. I'm not a follower when it comes to these things, nope not in anyway, shape or form.

I have Facebook and Twitter accounts, so I'll give each a little... I don't know, review?

Facebook-I fought and fought this fad with everything that I had, but after about a year, I succumbed to my curiosity. I was addicted for the longest time. I used to just piss everyone off by just trolling and stirring up shit. Lots of fun. Now, however, I get on to check what's going on and post pictures of my kids for the family I have that I don't want to actually come in contact with, but for the most part, everyone is lame. Not even worth the time to sign on.

Twitter-I use it to follow a few comedians for the lulz and wrestlers to see how stupid they are. Other than that, I have no use for it.

No Twitter here, but I have a MySpace, and a Facebook, sort of.

MySpace: When I first met my wife, this was one of the things that she insisted I get. I fought her kicking and screaming for two years until I finally agreed just to get her off my case. Lo and behold, I became obsessed with the damn thing and wound up reconnecting with friends I hadn't seen in a long time, and my employees outside of work. Until it started to suck, I had alot of fun with it, and have a lot of good memories and fun quotes on my wall or what have you. I still log in from time to time just to get a good laugh, or when i get a update on my phone that someone has posted a comment. I also have one for my agency, but I havent used that one, because it felt unprofessional.

Facebook: I have a Facebook, but it wasn't due to my own doing. My wife is obsessed with social networking and as a result, thinks that I should be too. So she took it upon herself to create a Facebook account for me, which i think she still updates from time to time. The only picture I have up there is of her and I, and she posted it. I couldn't even tell you the password to the account, to be honest. :shrug:

Myspace - I was really into myspace from 2005-2008. I loved the whole decorating your profile thing, it was the first real place to find old friends because of its popularity, and the groups system was fucking awesome and that was really my first experience with forums and what not. Posting in those stupid groups is what shaped me into the poster I am today, lol.

Today, however, myspace is pretty much dead. People could attribute that to the popularity of Facebook, but nah... myspace just sold out. The site became way too fucking slow with all its ridiculous adds, and it just kept changing and changing, when the regular system was fine. As the old saying goes... if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Myspace felt they made improvements, but they only made the site worse and worse.

I still have my myspace profile, and sometimes I still like the dabble with the look of the profile itself whenever I'm super bored since that's always been my source to learning html codes and what not. But, I still rarely check it these days, and if myspace shut down tomorrow I wouldn't be able to care less.

Facebook - I caved in and finally got a facebook about two years ago, and I still think it's the most overrated thing ever. However, since it's so popular, the site is the best way to keep up with current and old friends. I'm not very active on the site at all, but I still check it a couple of times a week to look over the news feed and all that stuff.

Twitter - I also have a Twitter account, but I rarely post. I think Twitter is currently the best news source on the planet, however. Most stories today get broke out on Twitter, which is why it's such a valuable site. It's also fun to follow your very celebrities and see what they're up to, since Twitter for a lot of them is the only time they show their human side.

Facebook is the only one I use at the moment. It is a great way to keep in touch with people and it does everything. Email, posting comments on someone's page for all to see, the ability to "like" comments or other pages, the newsfeed that shows what your friends have been up to or posting, and the endless list of apps. It's a much easier way to manage a group of friends you want to keep in touch with than relying on phones or email lists.

Then there's other sites like Myspace. I used to use it back in the 2006-2008 timeframe, but only because everyone else did. I never cared for Myspace. I had some friends who refused to get a facebook (all of which finally have by this point) that I still wanted to keep in touch with but had to use Myspace to talk to them. They had a bulletin board where posts could be seen by friends and mine was often bombarded with random surveys that I'd take in between classes back in the day. Facebook has completely taken over and no one that I know of does Myspace anymore. Good riddance in my opinion. I can see why some might have liked it better than facebook, but I never really liked it.

Finally, twitter.... I will never, and I mean NEVER get a Twitter. Facebook does everything Twitter can do and better. Facebook newsfeed allows me to "follow" friends or celebrities who I want to communicate with. There goes the whole purpose of Twitter. I understand that there's people out there who like it. If you do, cool. I don't see the point and refuse to ever sign up for an account there because they have yet to show me what they can do that facebook can't that'd be worth my time.

I dont understand how you could "hate" them, if you dont like it, dont fucking log in. Why the fuck do people let stupid shit effect them so much? I hear people like "oh fuck this, im deleting my Facebook" as if....as if it hurts them that it merely exists or something :lmao:

I dont get how it could possibly be allowed to cause any logical human to have a negative emotion in their day to day life, is what im saying. Those people probably have very insignificant/un sought after genitalia.

I have Facebook, I dig it. Talk shit, keep up with friends, do what exactly what its meant to do.

I have a myspace as well, and dominated that shit from 06 til like 08, when it started being all bullshit, and everyone quit using it.

No twitter, as I dont understand how it is so much different than status updates on FB. Which reminds me, I dont particularly understand having more than one, wouldnt it be the dame people giving a fuck about you? Do they need to hear your shit twice? I beleive not.

I find Facebook to be tolerable but only because I use it solely for shooting the shit with only my three or four closest friends. I have no interest in reading about what people with whom I have little social interaction with or have met once or twice or perhaps never. I suppose me having a Facebook account is somewhat pointless really particularly as I find Twitter totally pointless

Facebook, and Twitter are easily the most revolutionary sites to come out of the 2000s. Facebook is almost essential these days. If you want to keep in touch with your friends, Facebook is where it's at. It's almost replaced calling and texting as a means of efficient communication.

Twitter is basically Facebook, with a more intimate system. You know what people are thinking, should they choose to post it. It's extremely fun.

Myspace evolved from its previous form, and it's now a place to share music, or something.

Herp derp derpity Twitter is a stalker!

People CHOOSE to put information of themselves on the internet. Other people seeing that information is not stalking. That's not a word you should throw around as lightly. Someone knowing what I had for breakfast because I intentionally wrote about it on Twitter is not me having a stalker. Don't be an idiot.

Facebook - I first started using this in late 2006 after I saw a classmate logging onto a site I didn't even know existed. Once I got an account, I added a bunch of people and got the wall post conversations rolling. I joined clubs and participated in discussions. I also shared some art with people and vice-versa. But, as time went on, I found myself logging on less and less. Sure, it's revolutionary in raising the bar of social networking and I understand why people use it, especially businesses. I just don't find it useful, because everything it offers I can easily do offline. E-mail works fine with me in keeping in touch with the few people I keep in touch with.

MySpace - Back when I was still active in making music, I used MySpace (2004-2005). I got in touch with several other fellow indie musicians and it was all fine and dandy for a while. Once I stopped making music, I stopped using MySpace. That's really all I used it for -- promotion.

Twitter - I registered, tweeted a bit and then deleted my account all in one day lol. I understand the concept of exchanging information, but it's ridiculous at the same time what people tweet about. I don't have any use for it.

As far as social networking in general goes, I used to use a site called AsianAvenue way back in 2000-2001. I used it for the chat and to meet other Asians with mutual interests. It was fun. This was back when ICQ was popular.

The first social network site I used was MySpace, and I thought it was pretty good. Complicated if you wanted to add videos and shit to your profile but it was pretty neat.

Then I found Facebook, which blew MySpace out of the water. I fucking love Facebook. I use it pretty much every day. Even at work I regularly have FB on in the background. I think its a great way to see what people are up to that you havent seen in years. I have reconnected with several old school friends on there and have added/been added by almost everyone I know, so I have a huge friends list.

Some people only want contacts that they know they will speak to, but I am of the opinion that if I add everyone I know even vaguely, then they are there IF and WHEN I want/need to talk to them. I can make it so there posts do not appear on my feed, so it doesnt affect my life negatively to have these people on my friends list.

Also, I love the fact that people can tag you in photos. I have loads of great pictures from nights out that I would never have got a copy of, had Facebook not allowed someone to upload their digital camera pics of me. Helps to keep the great memories fresh

It can get addictive though, constantly checking updates or to see if people have "liked" your status, but overall I think its a great thing, allowing people to stay in touch a lot easier.

I have a Facebook, which I use regularly and a Twitter which I use occasionally. The Facebook account is good for connecting with friends and just staying social in general. Very useful, I'm quite content with it. I don't use Twitter much anymore, I usually just used it to keep up with certain wrestlers and news and stuff. I haven't logged on in months, probably won't for a while. Facebook and Twitter are actually completely different. Facebook is much more, I don't know how to describe it really, "private." You usually just stick to people you know, but Twitter is all about branching out and stuff. I'm basically just content with Facebook, though.

I like facebook for what it does well, which is keep me in touch with friends, keeps me up to date with upcoming events in the area and for things that interest me, and it's really good for event planning and group organizing and stuff. I also like using status updates to express my sarcastic view of the world in which I live.

I had a myspace, but I stopped using it so I deleted it.

I also just got a twitter account today. I had no interest in getting one except to follow Zack Ryder, but the film club that I'm the president of started using it, so I have to follow my film club's twitter account and tweet it whenever I see a movie. I probably won't use it for anything besides that, but who knows, maybe I'll get hooked. I did wind up following Zack Ryder, by the way.

Having a facebook account is probably one of the dumbest things you can do as an aspiring professional. As one who loves to keep their private and work life separate, I always maintain the lowest possible online visibility. You can find my resume on monster.com and I have an account on linkedin, but, as long as I'm in the workforce, I'll never have a facebook or twitter account.

I like the concept of social networking, but as Tdigs said, you walk a very fine line as to what you can say and put on it if you have any hopes for a significant job, which I do. I love being able to put things on Facebook or tweet but I have to be very careful about pictures and what I say because if a possible employers checks on me I don't want them to find anything offensive or silly that could get my name taken out of consideration for a job. So, while I do enjoy Facebook and Twitter it is a bit of a bitch censoring myself all the time.

Having a facebook account is probably one of the dumbest things you can do as an aspiring professional. As one who loves to keep their private and work life separate, I always maintain the lowest possible online visibility. You can find my resume on monster.com and I have an account on linkedin, but, as long as I'm in the workforce, I'll never have a facebook or twitter account.

Agreed, it is just way too easy for people to access information via Facebook.

I want to delete mine so badly but there's a) the fact that I use it to keep in touch with a lot of people on a regular basis and that's our main means of communication (yeah, I know...) and b) the damage is already done. I shudder to think of the horrendous pictures of me that are floating around on there. I try to keep the info that's accessible on there to an absolute minimum. Especially for the type of work I'm going into, a lot of those pictures can really just screw things up for me down the line. That being said, I keep my profile incredibly privatized so it can't even be searched and I hide as much of it as I can but the bottom line is that it exists and even deleting mine won't remove the shit other people have tagged me in or posted about me, etc. Anyways, fuck Facebook. The irony lies in the fact that while I'm checking my news feed as I type this...

I have a Twitter that I pretty much never use because I don't see the need in updating people (who would follow me anyways?) about my life by the hour/minute/second/etc. Even I'm not that conceited.

Never really had a MySpace. I think it was a bit before my ~time~ and not many of my friends had one so I never used it. I think it's a legitimate and useful promotional tool for musicians and bands, though.

Pretty easy solution to all that.

if you cant be proud of your actions, you probably shouldnt be doing them. Social netowrking is hardly to blame in that scenario.

People CHOOSE to put information of themselves on the internet. Other people seeing that information is not stalking. That's not a word you should throw around as lightly. Someone knowing what I had for breakfast because I intentionally wrote about it on Twitter is not me having a stalker. Don't be an idiot.

I understand the fact that people choose to put information on there, the point is, WHY SHOULD YOU GIVE A DAMN WHAT SOMEONE IS DOING? You see what other people tweet, why? to keep up with what someone else is doing. Definition of stalk is..

stalk 2 (stôk)
v. stalked, stalk·ing, stalks
v.intr.
1. To walk with a stiff, haughty, or angry gait: stalked off in a huff.
2. To move threateningly or menacingly.
3. To track prey or quarry.
v.tr.
1. To pursue by tracking stealthily.
2. To follow or observe (a person) persistently, especially out of obsession or derangement.
3. To go through (an area) in pursuit of prey or quarry.

By definition, following someones twitter is stalking. how is that ignorant? Explain? Following is the entire part of TWITTER!

Pretty easy solution to all that.

if you cant be proud of your actions, you probably shouldnt be doing them. Social netowrking is hardly to blame in that scenario.

No it's definitely not to blame but it is a catalyst for spreading things around. I made some poor decisions while growing up (as many do) especially towards the end of high school and the beginning of college. Might have been stupid but it was part of growing up and personally, I needed to go through that phase in order to get to where I am right now. My point is that it's unfortunate that my own/my generation's poor decisions will always be on display on social networking sites. It makes it really hard to live things down and more forward.

Facebook.

When I'm at home, I'm always logged in. Even if I'm doing other stuff, it's simply logged in all the time. For a time, I was slightly addicted to updating my status and commenting on other people's status'. I update my status maybe 3 times a week tops now and 9 times out of 10, it's normally about Formula 1 or going out and getting pissed. I don't love Facebook, but I do feel obliged to be logged in whenever I'm online.

Twitter.

I've had Twitter for about a year but didn't use it for the first 7 months. Thought it was pointless. But I got one of my tweets re-posted by a Formula 1 personality and now I tweet quite often. It's not like Facebook though, where I feel the need to log in, I'll go on Twitter three times a week tops and log off fairly quickly afterwards.

My friends got me into Myspace around 2006, and I was on there all the time changing my layout and posting comments on other pages. I didn't want to get into Facebook, but once again my friends told me about it and Myspace became obsolete. Some people spend hours on their with Farmville or Mafia Wars. I can't get into the games.

I check it every now and then to see what some of my friends have posted, I have a lot of people on my page that I have no idea who they are. Some post irrelevant shit like "My toes are cold", "Reading Harry Potter", "Going to bed". Who cares?
I'm glad my parents are computer illiterate, because it would be embarrassing to get comments from your mom all the time like some people do.

I have a Twitter account mainly to see random self loathing girls show nude pictures of themselves. If you constantly show nude photos of yourself for free on Twitter, then no one will pay to go to your website. Dummy. It is funny to follow wrestlers and comedians to hear their tweets. Val Venis is good for a laugh and so is CM Punk. Mick Foley, Jim Ross, and Steve Austin usually have something interesting to say about the business. I don't use it to talk to people, just read random quotes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back