Should WWE theme music have more intensity?

WWEvsJosh

Pre-Show Stalwart
This is not an anti PG thread! So leave those comments somewhere else

Should WWE theme music have more intensity?

When I watch Raw every week I just wish the theme music would be different. I dont really hate the song but I just want a little more intensity. I mean wrestling has not always had intensity but I think some would help out.

Also the theme music of stars today. Once again i dont hate the theme music but it would be nice to have some more intense music for some stars.

Raw- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nystre2GWQ
Kane- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToLPYGvTH2k&feature=related

These are just two examples.

Or

Could this just confuse the fans? I mean this type of music could fit more for era's like the Attiude era then a PG era

I just know personally that is what I would like to see even in an era with all the PG stuff they do.

What do you guys think?

I think in some cases you are right, I mean, I too like the current song for Raw, but it has nothing on Papa Roach ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AInll076HM ).

As for the Superstars themselves, you gotta take a look into the WWE's marketing strategy. The reason everything nowadays is P.G (although I really hope it goes back), is because they expanded their target audience. It doesn't want to lose it's audience in fear that when a parent hears a swear word they say to their kid 'I don't want you hearing those bad words'.

That's not how I want it to be, that's just how it is.

To be honest, I don't think that the Raw or SD opening theme songs have ever really done much for me. I've always much preferred it when they open the show straight inside the arena, no opening montages or no theme song/videos...it gets right to the point and pulls at least myself in to whatever is going on.

Of course I'm probably a bit biased though, because I do believe the Nickelback song they are using right now is utter crap lol

The RAW opening could use an overhaul, yeah. As for individual wrestlers, it needs to fit the character. Orton "hears voices in his head" The undertakers gong is iconic, but I find some of them to be a little bland. (Cody rhodes comes to mind here) Music should be intense if the character is intense. I wouldnt want Santino coming out to death metal.

To be honest, I don't think that the Raw or SD opening theme songs have ever really done much for me. I've always much preferred it when they open the show straight inside the arena, no opening montages or no theme song/videos...it gets right to the point and pulls at least myself in to whatever is going on.

Of course I'm probably a bit biased though, because I do believe the Nickelback song they are using right now is utter crap lol

I agree. When you just have the theme song as bumper music as you cut straight to the event, rather than run an opening package, it gives the event a bigger feel to me. For me, it just make things seem a bit more "real" and a bit bigger.

My problem isn't with the intro music, but with wrestler entrance music. Back in the late 80's and in the 90's the entrance music was fitting for the wrestler, and most stood out against one another, i.e Hogan, Flair, Savage, Taker, Austin, Hart, Angle. Now it seems that they get the same obscure rock band to play most of the mid card/ upper mid carders music. I remember watching the royal rumble for the past couple of years and not knowing who was coming out unless they had music which was really different, i.e Santino, ADR.

The first seconds of Entrance music should sound EPIC, that will evoke a reaction out of the crowd (Glass Shatters, If Ya Smeeeeell, Undertakers Gong, Real American). It helps with the initial Pop/Heat plus for Returns, Interferences, Savior moments, when there music hits it helps.

Some that come close to today are Cena's, Punks, Christians and Ortons. Miz's and Sheamus' are good but not on the level of the days of old. Alot of the new talent, they all seem so bland and uninteresting when they first hit. I cite as my example Wade Barretts old and new one. God i hate his new one, theres no reaction to it.

My problem isn't with the intro music, but with wrestler entrance music. Back in the late 80's and in the 90's the entrance music was fitting for the wrestler, and most stood out against one another, i.e Hogan, Flair, Savage, Taker, Austin, Hart, Angle. Now it seems that they get the same obscure rock band to play most of the mid card/ upper mid carders music. I remember watching the royal rumble for the past couple of years and not knowing who was coming out unless they had music which was really different, i.e Santino, ADR.

I had this big rant planned out about today's theme music for the wrestlers, then I read what you wrote and felt better because I agree with you 100 percent. I posted in a couple of other threads that the themes are almost interchangeable. I, like you, did not know who was coming out at the rumble unless they had distinctive music. More intensity is something that is needed, but more important the music needs to be distinct to the wrestler.

Commercialized big name music has ruined wrestling themes.
The original compositions and personalized music made so much more sense back then.
It also helped that many of the wrestlers were true characters and it was easier to fit their themes.

To the main part of the topic, for the intro music, it's the same issue, RAW's theme isn't too bad compared to Smackdown's (Smackdown's song sounds like everyone's going to hug eachother), but RAW's theme would be better if it was simply the Theme to Raw, not some record label they borrowed.

Stepping into the warzone just felt so much more appropriate than getting to know the enemy.

As someone mentioned, watching the 1998 Royal Rumble, I knew every single superstar by their theme, I knew the words, and I they were all perfect, watching 2011 and 2012's Royal Rumbles, I was trying to guess who people were.

The first seconds of Entrance music should sound EPIC, that will evoke a reaction out of the crowd (Glass Shatters, If Ya Smeeeeell, Undertakers Gong, Real American). It helps with the initial Pop/Heat plus for Returns, Interferences, Savior moments, when there music hits it helps.

Some that come close to today are Cena's, Punks, Christians and Ortons. Miz's and Sheamus' are good but not on the level of the days of old. Alot of the new talent, they all seem so bland and uninteresting when they first hit. I cite as my example Wade Barretts old and new one. God i hate his new one, theres no reaction to it.

This definitely played a big part in that I think. Most of the memories I have for those wrestlers is usually the first few "chords".

Especially the Glass breaking, hearing that out of nowhere always made people wake up.

I know the theme music now is done by nickelback, but really, almost all the songs for the wrestlers kinda sound like nickelback. Like generic, vanilla rock. Like Saliva or Seether or Theory of a Deadman or other shite.

But some are good. For some reason Beth Pheonix's kinda reminds me of a female version of Bret Hart's theme, which is a classic.

For sure HBK and Razor Ramon are myfavs though.

Yes, but it should only if it goes with the person and their gimmick. Example is Golddust, his wasnt that intense but it was perfect for him. HBK's wasnt intense either but perfect for him. Cody Rhodes, Ted Jr, they're theme needs intensity. So it all depends on the person and gimmick. Also the Smackdown theme needs alot more intensity.

I Was thinking of this the other day.

Smackdown NEEDS something more intense, its current theme is utter SHITE.

Same with Wade Barrett, shoud NEVER of changed his theme.
Although I do agree with the guy above me.

Agreed. A lot of the themes now are bland. Some of them don't even reflect the character. The best ones I can think of now are, are not ones that were churned out as generic music. I get what you mean. The song has to help personify whom it is for. Its like Randy Orton using what would eventually be CM Punk's first theme. It didn't fit. There's some good talent but they aren't getting justice because their music is bland... One in particular right now I can say that hasn't ever gotten the correct music is Wade Barrett. None of his music except The Nexus theme has fit him. The Corre music was crap and always changing. He hasn't gotten a piece that has fit his character at all. It needs to be something more gritty....

To echo a few other posters, it's not a matter of intensity. Rather, it's just that themes need to become more unique. Orton, Punk, Cena, ADR, Santino, Henry, Bryan and Ryder are among the handful with unique music. In the main event scene, this isn't too much of an issue but as you get lower in the card, it becomes a much bigger issue. Frankly, that's part of the reason lower and mid card wrestlers have trouble getting over. It's part of why they're not distinct enough.

Music ought to be instantly recognizable, molded to the character, and largely distinct from other talents. Why not let Barrett have something really *British* be his theme? Ziggler's "show off" theme is a step in the right direction, but why not something *really* ... Zigglery? Cody's music is totally blase. Same for Swagger. What's wrong with more instrumental themes? Warrior, Perfect, Savage, Hitman, Flair, and Daniel Bryan have done fine with them.

I totally understand your point. When you think about entrance music, you think of that very first rip or chord. When you hear that glass shatter, you know some hell is going to be raised. When you hear "if ya smell", a sense of electricity literally flows through your body. When you hear the gong, you know that The Deadman is coming to claim another soul. I think the problem is that today's theme songs sound so much alike! They all have that generic rock music theme that fans can't catch on to. I remember a time where I would know every lyric to every wrestling song, now, for some reason, I could care less. Not bashing PG, because I'm digging the current product. But, back in the day, when you heard that saxophone then "Hello Ladies", you knew The Big Valboski was coming. Old wrestlers song you could immediately identify who was coming out because of how the music was. I think WWE just needs more variety. It wouldn't hurt to give some people a rap song, or terrorizing song, or a heavy metal song. Now, don't EVEN get me started on TNA's music production. . .

UGh!

The past year it's gotten pretty bad with the exception of one of Metallica's worst songs I'm not much of a fan of the direction of the theme music choices. CAW leagues on You Tube pick better music than the WWE for the past 8-9 years. Giving credit where it's due the E's production department almost always finds a way to make it work. My thing is they have been leaning more towards hip hop than metal for the past 6 years which would be better if they picked the right tracks.

The past year it's gotten pretty bad with the exception of one of Metallica's worst songs I'm not much of a fan of the direction of the theme music choices. CAW leagues on You Tube pick better music than the WWE for the past 8-9 years. Giving credit where it's due the E's production department almost always finds a way to make it work. My thing is they have been leaning more towards hip hop than metal for the past 6 years which would be better if they picked the right tracks.

Couldn't agree more! SO many superstars need themes that people KNOW and when they hear them, they know they're in for a ride. Suggestions, folks? I am compiling a list of songs that I think would be cool (In my opinion, of course) but I'd like to see other's suggestions?

A lot of the entrance music is dull right now, and as others have said it's difficult to tell who it is just from the music outside of the main event. It's more important that they have music that fits their character though.

I don't really care what they use for the RAW theme as long as they get rid of Nickelback, and publicly apologize for ever use such a terrible, horrible "band" to begin with.

I was really hoping when they moved back to USA Network that they'd go back one of the Attitude-era themes, like "Thorn in Your Eye" or "Across the Nation." Everything they've used since then has been garbage.

Themes just need to fit the character.

Dolph Ziggler's "I am perfection" was AWESOME. Hate his new stuff.

Cena, Orton, Punk, Miz, Rhodes, etc, all basically fit them.

Smackdown and Raw's themes both suck because both Green Day (from American Idiot on) and Nickelback (for basically their whole careers) suck.

The wrestlers themes aren't bad really. Considering they have to write original music for each guy and not every guy is a draw, it makes sense.

Also, going back to metal/late 90s sounding rock is a horrible idea. I like rock music, but it doesn't make them look anymore modern. They need a heavy electronic type of rap/dubstep (and I fuckin hate dubstep) intro. They need to ALWAYS look modern, not like a 90s nostalgia show.

Dolph's theme has had "perfection" removed from it. Was he becoming Mr Hennig pt 2 a bit too much for their liking?

Green Day shite needs to stop on Smackdown..... NOW!
Seriously that shit makes me want to not watch, and I have been watching since Hogan/Warrior and Undertaker was unveiled at Survivor Series......

One little bugbear, The Nickelback theme is not that bad, and for the pg era (and hip hop era) has been a cracking little song. I think it is because of them playing live, and people saying "wait, that catchy song was by Nickelback? time to start hating!"

It isn't Attitude era rock quality, but considering where we are since leaving the Attitude Era, I would consider that a win.

and NEVER.....EVER.........should they use Dubstep

Dolph's theme has had "perfection" removed from it. Was he becoming Mr Hennig pt 2 a bit too much for their liking?

Green Day shite needs to stop on Smackdown..... NOW!
Seriously that shit makes me want to not watch, and I have been watching since Hogan/Warrior and Undertaker was unveiled at Survivor Series......

One little bugbear, The Nickelback theme is not that bad, and for the pg era (and hip hop era) has been a cracking little song. I think it is because of them playing live, and people saying "wait, that catchy song was by Nickelback? time to start hating!"

It isn't Attitude era rock quality, but considering where we are since leaving the Attitude Era, I would consider that a win.

and NEVER.....EVER.........should they use Dubstep
I wouldn't use direct Dubstep. Just said something similar where it's a bass heavy song with hip hoppy stuff going on. I'm not a fan of dubstep, but it's hot right now. Shit man they used to use LIMP BIZKIT. Probably the worst lyricist of all time.

Their WWE Network promo was perfect. It felt modern. Whether you like it or not, being modern helps the product. I hate limp bizkit, I hate Nickelback, I hate dubstep, but it makes the show look modern. Their vids should look like MTV produced them. As horrible as that sounds, but that's what's going to sell.

Personally, I'd like the Raw theme to be Bulls on Parade, but that makes them look dated. At the very least, they should use something similar to Trent Reznor's cover of "Immigrant Song" that they used for the dragon tatoo movie.

Nickelback doesn't seem new at all, makes it seem like you're watching a rerun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu66HIUqZNE&feature=fvwrel

that looks modern. Much more modern than this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okEiCkRQFo8

Sorry, but that's how it is big mang. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm 22 and male and I still listen to Led Zeppelin. I'm clearly not the target audience for the hipsters. All I know is that the kids at work LOVE that dubstep shit and I sound like a grumpy old man when I tell them it's not music. Doesn't mater, this is entertainment. Keep up with the Jonses or get moved off the block.

I used to hate that wrestlemania didn't really use rock songs anymore, but it really does make the product look more modern. Maybe Smackdown could use a song similar to LMFAO Party Rock whatever. Again, I don't listen to this stuff, but the product needs to look modern. Green Day and Nickelback aren't modern, they make the product look dated.

I wouldn't use direct Dubstep. Just said something similar where it's a bass heavy song with hip hoppy stuff going on. I'm not a fan of dubstep, but it's hot right now. Shit man they used to use LIMP BIZKIT. Probably the worst lyricist of all time.

Their WWE Network promo was perfect. It felt modern. Whether you like it or not, being modern helps the product. I hate limp bizkit, I hate Nickelback, I hate dubstep, but it makes the show look modern. Their vids should look like MTV produced them. As horrible as that sounds, but that's what's going to sell.

Personally, I'd like the Raw theme to be Bulls on Parade, but that makes them look dated. At the very least, they should use something similar to Trent Reznor's cover of "Immigrant Song" that they used for the dragon tatoo movie.

Nickelback doesn't seem new at all, makes it seem like you're watching a rerun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu66HIUqZNE&feature=fvwrel

that looks modern. Much more modern than this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okEiCkRQFo8

Sorry, but that's how it is big mang. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm 22 and male and I still listen to Led Zeppelin. I'm clearly not the target audience for the hipsters. All I know is that the kids at work LOVE that dubstep shit and I sound like a grumpy old man when I tell them it's not music. Doesn't mater, this is entertainment. Keep up with the Jonses or get moved off the block.

I used to hate that wrestlemania didn't really use rock songs anymore, but it really does make the product look more modern. Maybe Smackdown could use a song similar to LMFAO Party Rock whatever. Again, I don't listen to this stuff, but the product needs to look modern. Green Day and Nickelback aren't modern, they make the product look dated.

dude, re:target audiences... I am 34 and don't listen to a large portion of newer music. I would make you look fresh and down with it if I worked with you or joined a conversation at your work.....

I honestly think for a majority of people, actually knowing it is/was Nickelback doing the RAW theme has tainted it for them. I honestly (and can't believe I am typing this) think their recent music is listenable to, and not just either.

When we have "written in the stars" as a Mania (or ppv theme) and it wasn't long ago we had "ladies and gentlemen" by Saliva, then I weep....

however if we go full gimmick and get the (and I mean THE) Wrestlemania song back, then we've gone too far. (whoah whoah Wrestlemania, fighting to survive, pump it up....)

If they can modernise the themes whilst keeping the energy/attitude of older themes then I wont complain. I may not be too keen on change but if it is for the greater good, then I can always do what I am doing to Smackdown every week... fast forward through that Billie Joe shite

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back