Should NXT have a champion?

Mighty NorCal

SHALL WE BEGIN?
Now before every moron jumps in here mongering "BUT DUURR ITS A SEASON DUUURRR" know that I understand that already. I can hardly see why that matters. When the end of the season comes, you simply vacate this title.

I feel like the NXT guys should have something "more" to fight for than the approval of the mentors, and it will be another plot device for the mentors to brag about THEIR guy being NXT champ, so on and so forth. I can hardly see how it would hurt, being as how NXT is almost an entirely seperate entity to the rest of the WWE.

Thoughts?

I agree. they need something other then the approval of the pro's even if it's only for the season. they coudl easily turn it into a number one contender spot for either the Unites states championship or the I.C after they graduate. It would also be a way to keep record of who is doing the best out of the lot.

It would also give them a chance to be on the PPV's to really get them used to big crowds and that.

Edit: it would also be a good storyline if they keep with the Pro hates the rookie idea. imagine the Miz loosing his titles while bryan has one? it would really shake things up.

I definitely think the winner of the show should become a champion, but not one with a belt. Rather, a trophy.

I say once the season is over, you grant the winner of the show, "Champion of NXT" and give them this big ass trophy for them to carry down to the ring every time they wrestle after that, until it's time to pass it on to the next season's winner. It would just serve a reminder to the WWE audience that this guy right now is the best rookie in WWE and should be taken seriously. Plus, there are far more angles, I believe, you can do with a trophy that's never on the line than you can a championship belt.

But as far as them having a champion throughout the season? Nah, I have to disagree with you there, Norcs. The belt would basically be meaningless, and the fans would have a hard time buying it as a legitimate title since it's never defended against people they know. I say actually winning the show and getting a spot on Raw is enough to "fight" over. You don't need to throw a championship in that mix, IMO.

Personally, I thought that the show would progress in a way that, when they were approaching the final episodes, they would have a tournament which would end wherein the main event of the last episode would be a match between the 2 finalist rookies and the winner would receive a spot on Raw or Smackdown. For the rest of that night's show, you could have the other rookies face their mentors in matches.

The only problem with that is what you do with the other 7 guys that didn't earn a spot. You can't just ditch them, especially if they're good enough to actually be a part of R/S. I haven't quite figured that out, but then again, I've only given this idea about 12 seconds worth of thought lol.

I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of "champion" idea, but I don't think a belt is a good decision. That just seems too advanced for this kind of a concept show.

I don't think that NXT should have an actual championship belt, it's not a true brand. Having a way to distinguish who the top rookie is wouldn't be that bad of an idea.... Maybe have a tournament with each rookie in 1 on 1 matches until the best guy has won it, but I wouldn't hold that tournament until a week or two before the end of this season of NXT. That's similar to ideas others have already suggested, it's a good idea if you ask me. I'd also like to see whoever does leave NXT as the top rookie receive a title shot for the US title if he goes to Raw or the IC title if he goes to Smackdown. The show doesn't need a championship belt though because it should be about the rookies interacting with their mentors. That's just my opinion though.

I have been reading over everything that being said, yes they need something to fight for but I think instead of a NXT Champion, they should have a NXT Battle Royal for a NXT Television Championship, reserve the PPV NXT matches for Number 1 contender matches or for the Rookie to Vs a Pro (Not a NXT Pro but someone like Triple H, John Morrison or another established superstar).

The LAst NXT TV champion should vacated the title at the end of the season and become Number 1 contender for a IC or US titles.

Instead of a title i think NXT should have a points system like in the sport leagues. Then in the finally the two guys with the most points battle it out for the big contract.

I dont think that NXT should have a title. It's not the sort of show that needs it. What they're doing (having the rookies fight it out for a Raw contract) is fine in my opinion.

A contract to the flagship show and if they attach some kayfabe cash to it (i.e. the winner gets a million dollar Raw contract) it'd definately be a worthy prize. as for how they win, I say have a tournament where the rookies performances are graded and ranked by either the Pros or who ever generates the Power 25 and have the highest ranked people face the easiest routes to the finals (in the first round the no.1 seed faces the no. 8 seed) which could generate some underdog drama (OMG THE NUMBER 2 ROOKIE GOT BEATEN BY THE NUMBER 7) as well as explain why the guys the show's been focused on have gotten to the final (they faced an easier path).

I think NXT should have a champion but I dunno about having a title belt because like Dagger already pointed out, NXT isn't a true brand. I like jmt's idea of having a trophey or something similar to give the eventual winner credibility and (for lack of a better term) bragging rights sorta like the winner of the PPV. Maybe even have a sort of tournament or something of the like at a big PPV (perhaps at Summerslam) to give the rookies PPV exposure.

Personally I like the trophy idea I saw, similiar to that of Bragging Rights. That's the better way to go in my opinion, because like others have said, NXT isn't technically a brand. And, vacating the title every season is kind of pointless, titles should only be vacated if a wrestler has a legit injury or when it's really necessary. And, like Dias said, I agree that it's really about the relationship between the mentee and mentor, that's what makes it interesting.

But yea I do think there should be some of kind of achievement, hell maybe even a simple plaque would do... lol. But, anything but a belt for me.

Personally I'm glad that the ECW title is done for, there's already too many belts anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back