Should MLB change Rookie of the Year eligibility rules

Akhilleus

Getting Noticed By Management
I saw a video on ESPN with Jim Bowden who was giving his reasoning as to why he thinks that there is a flaw in the rookie of the year eligibility system that the MLB uses. The way the current system is set up is players are considered rookies in the league unless they have a 130 at bats for positions players, 50 innings pitcher for a pitcher, or 45 days of service time prior to September 1st.

Bowden agreed that this criteria seems fair, but one thing he argued is that guys like Marashiro Tanaka and Jose Abreu should not be eligiable because they are coming over from the international leagues. He claims that they are already seasoned players, and that it is unfair to compare them to the other players.

I personally disagree. I don't know if Bowden knows what a rookie is or not, but Tanaka and Abreu are rookies. They have never played in the Major League Baseball organization before, and therefor they are rookies. I'm not sure if he knows how different the Japan and Cuban leagues are compared to the Majors, but they are very different. The players compete at a much higher and different level, and sometimes it just takes a lot of adjusting for those international players to do. Not only that, but Tanaka is only 25 years old. Most guys who are called up to the Majors are called up just around that age, usually around 23 or 24 years old. Abreu is 27 which is right around in his prime, but he's still a rookie in my mind. Would Tommy Maddox have not been considered a rookie in the NFL because he played in the XFL? Or what about those guys who have played in the Arena Football League? Would they just not be rookies playing in the NFL for the first time?

Now one thing that Bowden did say that I do agree with is that he suggested there be an award for positional players, and an award for pitchers in both leagues. That I do agree with. They already have separate awards for both positions, like the CY Young and the Batting Titles. It's a little harder to compare good performance for two different positions. I definitely wouldn't be opposed to them doing that.

So I'd like to hear some other opinions on this. Do you agree with Bowden in saying guys like Jose Abreu and Tanaka should not be rookie eligible? Despite the fact that they've never played in the MLB before? Or do you agree with the current set up the MLB has now?

I'd also disagree that the international players shouldn't be counted as rookies. I mean, it's their first year in the MLB, therefore, they're rookies to that league. I don't really know how much different international leagues are to the MLB, but I'd assume they're very different. The MLB is where the highest caliber baseball players are playing.

Also, Tommy Maddox wouldn't be considered a rookie after coming in from the XFL, because he already played in the NFL before that. :p But, still, all hail the greatest XFL player of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back