Should Matt Hardy just jump ship to TNA?

Savion83

Pre-Show Stalwart
Former WWE tag team Matt Hardy has had a somewhat of a good wrestling career thus far. I remember back in 2004/5 when Matt Hardy got released from the WWE because he made his break-up with former WWE diva Lita public to the wrestling fans via the internet. But WWE chairman Vince McMahon realized that he made a mistake by firing Matt Hardy and soon brought him back to the WWE.

During the time Matt Hardy was unemployed, there was alot of criticism by wrestling fans and the wrestling media that Matt Hardy should of went to TNA wrestling to tag once again with his little brother Jeff. But that didn't happen of course. Now some five years later Matt Hardy has done well for himself by winning the WWE U.S. championship and later that year (2008) Matt won the (WW)ECW championship. Making 2008 Matt Hardy's grestest year in wrestling!

But now that Matt Hardy is once again lost in the WWE shuffle on the roster, and younger brother Jeff is as a big a star as a rockstar on tour in either wrestling company. Should Matt Hardy just jump ship to TNA? Where he would once again be lost in the shuffle on a roster of wrestlers, but more apprecated for his work. And reunite with brother Jeff Hardy and friend from North Carolina Shannon Moore. I don't know if TNA will ever see Gregory Helms?

Matt would be lost in the shuffle in TNA just as he is now. I think that the star power on SmackDown is easier to contend with than that in TNA. On SmackDown, for main eventers/upper midcarders they have Mysterio, Kane, Punk, Show, Swagger. Compare this to TNA's crowded main event/upper midcard scene of Angle, Sting, RVD, Joe, AJ, Jeff, Anderson, Abyss, Morgan, Pope, Rob Terry, Jarrett, etc. Matt would be stuck as a lower midcarder in TNA, exactly where he is right now, except that in WWE he is making more money, performing in front of bigger crowds, and enjoying better popularity than he would in TNA.

i agree w/hacksaw he isnt main eventing now in WWE hes not gonna in TNA either, so he might as well stay where hes makin more money. itd be stupid to jump ship, make less money and possibly not have a job in a year if TNA ends up folding. hes at the age where he should just be content where he is makin good money.

No. Hardy needs to establish himself in the wwe first. Let's face it. Imo, matt hardy's had a shit career so far. It took him ten fucking years to win a major title. Matt need to make himself a force to be reckond with before jumping ship. Next, matt has always lived under jeff's shadow. jeff leaving the wwe gave hardy a little sunlight. Moving to tna he'd just be another face not getting used the right way. So his best bet is keep climing that long ass ladder to the top of the wwe. It might be a while but why clime down a step on the ladder by going to tna. Just my opinion.

BUT... christain went to tna and seemed like he was better when he came back...could work for hardy. I still say no though

Matt Hardy could go to TNA and flounder in their mid-card and be with his brother for what could make for a very lame and uninteresting reunion or whatever, while at the same time making less money. His position on the card will not change if he were to go to TNA and he will basically be earning less just to do the same thing he's been doing for the last three years or so. But hey he will get to have another 1000th tag team reunion with his brother right? Give me a break.

Matt Hardy if he was smart would continue to work for the WWE, which for the most part he has. Hardy seems content doing what he is doing which he should be. He has a solid mid-card spot that he has had for the better part of five years. Why would he let this position go that makes him more money for the exact same position that will essentially pay less and he will most likely be thrown into another rehashed angle where he teams up with his brother Jeff again.

No, he shouldn't. Matt wouldn't be any better in TNA than he is in WWE. Let's face it, Matt is mediocre, and will probably always be unless he finds a treadmill. Matt jumping ship to TNA will be the dumbest move of his career, even more so than his feud with Jeff, which was not only boring to watch, but didn't help anyone. What does TNA have to offer? Jeff? A main event that looks easier to get into? A huge bag of twinkies? Matt would be a bigger flop in TNA than The Firm was in music. He's in the final years of his career anyway, there really is nothing left for poor Matt except for a possible discount at 7-11.

Yes, People can say "Well he wouldn't be any better off in TNA" but the thing is, who the fuck cares. His fan base is dwindling while his weight and mediocrity is at it's peak. I'm sure he gets paid more than a lot of more deserving wrestlers and is riding off his last name which has been pretty battered by his dear brother. This may be a little harsh, but I see Matt as a cold sore that just won't go away.

He can be a small (yet fat) fish in a large pond or a fat big fish in a smaller pond. They would quickly have him reunite with his brother, than turn on him, have a mediocre singles run, have him team with somebody else that isn't doing shit and then have him turn face again and reunite with Jeff. If Jeff is still there of course. All the while, I get to watch my WWE programming Hardy-free. Even disregarding my clear bias, would the WWE really lose anything? He has had flop after flop in terms of feuds and it's clear he will never be a world champion. He has replaced the large pops he used to get with large tubs of popcorn and looks like the guy who works at the shitty local record store. There isn't anything left for him really and honestly he is taking up space. That wasn't just a fat joke; the feuds and matches he gets can go to someone that may actually go somewhere and do something productive.

So go for it Matt, jump ship. If you can still jump.

I got to disagree with a few post's here.... Hardy should not join TNA. How ever hardy is not a mediocre wrestler, ok he is nothing special on the mic and yes he has gained some lbs (credit matt striker for the lbs lol) but hardy is a dam fine wrestler and a hard worker. His brother jeff is no were near the wrestler matt is. So no matt should stay in WWE were he belons and will prosper

Either way, it's not gonna make much difference to his career. If we're talking in terms of which company he's more likely to be main eventing in, neither WWE or TNA look likely. WWE don't seem to have any plans with him, and TNA is stacked as it is with main-eventers. Hardy himself would surely admit he's midcard for life at this point.

I guess the only practical advantage of going to TNA would be the lighter schedule, less touring, travel, etc. Although that means he's not going to get to visit as many restaurants that way.

Eh, at least if he sticks with WWE he might get a nice send-off. HOF deal, all that jazz.

On the surface, it would appear to be the perfect time for Matt Hardy to jump ship from WWE to TNA. He's fat. He's out of shape. He has a loyal cult-lke following of fans for reasons which escape me. He would appear to be exactly what TNA is looking for, especially if they could get him in time for Hardcore Justice.

All sarcasm aside, though, of course he should not leave WWE to go to TNA. He's in the middle of the pack in the WWE and that's likely where he's destined to stay. But if he goes to TNA, he'll be in the middle of the pack there too.

Better to be in the middle of the pack when the pack is large and has an audience, rather than being in the middle of the pack in oblivion. It's just a question of dollars and sense.

So here's the thing...Matt Hardy going to TNA is a crapshoot. Would you rather...

A) Leave your extremely lucrative and secure job, which just happens to be the leading company in its industry, and go to another company that is years away from being a competitor. If he went to TNA, he could possibly be a World Champion. He could once again team with his brother Jeff and reform Team Extreme. He could work a quarter of the schedule for a quarter of the pay, and have 10% of the fan base. But at least he'd be able to do whatever he wanted.

B) He could stay in the WWE, get paid a crap load of money, have more fans, more popularity, and the comfort of knowing your company will stay on top for the rest of your life. But, he may never be World Champion or reunite with his brother. He would have to put up will all the politics and backstage bullshit, and he may never actually go farther than he is right now.

So there's pros and cons to both sides. But here's the real question...are any of the TNA pros really worth the cons? Do you really think that Matt Hardy would rather be a main eventer in TNA? What would that really mean? Be a midcarder and having 20,000 screaming fans cheer you on every night is a hell of a lot better than be a World CHampion and having 600 fans cheer for you. At this point, Jeff (although they are still close) has cost him a lot in his career, because Vince has made him pay for his brothers sins. He's been tag team champion enough, and he's finally at the point where he wants to get back on track and make a name on his own. He loves the work schedule and the travel, and the money that goes with it, so at this point Hardy really has no reason to go to TNA. Maybe if he wanted to work less...maybe. No matter what they say, nobody goes to TNA just because it's a cool company and they want to work to make it better. Matt Hardy isn't going to give up his place on Smackdown as a POSSIBLE future main eventer, just to team up with his dysfunctional brother in a second-rate product.

This isn't an anti-TNA thread at all. It's just simple. Matt Hardy has no REAL reason to go to TNA, and if he ever did, I would consider him to be a lot stupider than we think. If Matt Hardy ever leaves the WWE, it will be the end of his career. Or at least any career that really matters.

Depends if hes looking 4 a tag team go to TNA.but me personaly think he could be a great Tweener hav him tag wit christian as the the two guys who never got noticed( E and C,Hardy boyz ) for a couple of months winning the Tag titles than when they lose it he turns on Christen and he gets the My time gimmick that Shad got and destroys the World heavyweight champ whoever it is ( HEEL or FACE ). What do you think?

He should definately stay in WWE. Let's see what would happen if Matt went to TNA....

He definately wouldn't be main eventing do to the croweded roster. He would be making less money, on a less popular show, even lower in the mid-card. Does that sound like a good idea to you? Well it sure doesn't to me.
The best thing that would happen if he went to TNA was him making a lame reunion with Jeff and possibly winning the tag team belts for a month or so. He would probably not have a very successful singles career.

Now if he stays in WWE, he makes more money, on a more popular show, higher in the mid-card. That's the way to go. Who knows, maybe Matt will get a little gold in the future.:shrug:

I don't think Matt's lost in the shuffle. He's in a solid mid-card fued with Christian that's still building and building, so it may only be a matter of time before he becomes a main eventer as Smackdown has given us some first time Champions lately, so for now the sky could be the limit for him. Even if he doesn't become a main eventer, an IC Title reign would be great for him. Anyway, I don't think he's going to TNA any time soon if not at all, and I hope instead that Jeff comes back to WWE so the tag team division can be rebuilt, but that's another thread at another time.

No,just...no. Matt Hardy has more or less secured a legacy and devout fanbase over the years in WWE. Not to mention his sweet paychecks and the fact that he's financially secure for the rest of his life.This can mean only one thing.He wrestles through the pain and the negative comments because he truly loves the business.Some say he has no charisma,no mic skills,and can't do half the things he used to.I say he's switched his style to a more grounded assault,and had he not had charisma,he wouldn't be able to work several thousand people into a frenzy yelling "Hardy!" if he had none. He's in the twilight of his career,and is no doubt riding his wave of success from his youth into a happy and healthy retirement. Going to TNA would only destroy the Hardy legacy in WWE,which Jeffro has done enough of,and he would only get hurt due to those guys pumping his head full of that "You can still do teh flippyz!" nonsense and he'd wind up sprawled out in the iMPACT Zone,hurt worse than ever.Either that or he'll wind up just like those ECW jerks,hogging the spotlight from homegrown TNA talent who've been calmly waiting to be in the main event picture for years. Matt is good where he is,and the fact that you don't think the WWE Universe appreciates his work is a true,true shame.

He can listen to his NC buddies if he wants to,but Helms sure as hell ain't.If he wanted to be in TNA he could have went long ago.But he has a ton of cash from his days as Hurricane,and now wrestles independently,seemingly for the hell of it.Matt has made it clear that he wants to open his own school,and crossing the line wouldn't further that goal at all.He would lose he star power and hurt himself blading every thursday night or on some ridiculous spot.

Matt Hardy's career is winding down, he's not a young talent anymore so why would he waste his time jumping ship to a company that is not even using his brother properly.

A prime example is Jeff in the WWE, he was pushed to the moon against CM Punk and portrayed as a huge babyface even though he had limited mic ability and was a potential spot monkey.

Now without the machine Jeff has nothing, he hasn't done anything in TNA warranting a TNA title run and has yet to establish anything notable in regards to feuds, he bounces from feud to feud not even being able to build a proper story or elevate himself for a PPV match.

Now look at the supposed lesser of the two Hardy's, do you believe Matt will have anything outside of tagging with his brother and a couple of mid level tag title runs, I doubt it, Matt is barely on the bubble in the WWE, if he moves to TNA he will destroy any credibility he may have careerwise and earn less.

Matt is staying put for the forceeable future unless he wants to commit career suicide.

What an absolutely absurd thread topic and title. Why should he jump to TNA? To make less money, have less exposure, be given less freedom in his matches, receive less of a push than he is now? Is that why? Oh I know! It's so he can win the coveted TNA Tag Titles with Jeff, right?

Seriously, why would Matt want to leave the WWE? He's an established talent with an established fanbase, he's a veteran and a respected one at that in the locker room and unlike his brother he's always been 100% a company man for the WWE. Even if Matt never does achieve the big World title win (which I think he deserves), he's still had a great career and can continue to contribute greatly to the WWE's product for many more years to come, helping teach this next generation of wrestlers.

Matt would be out of his mind to go to TNA, and I think he knows that and will stay with the WWE for as long as Vince wants him around.

So just to get this straight, you the OP actually agree that Matt wouldn't be in a better position in TNA than he is now seeing how you said he would be lost in the shuffle. I don't see how his work would be appreciated seeing how Jeff's isn't now. I also fail to see how Jeff is such a rockstar in TNA now if he was still in the WWE then yeah but not now. Like you said, Matt has a had a pretty sucessful career and he's making good money in the WWE without doing pretty much nothing. So why would he give that up to make signifancantly less in TNA where he probably wouldn't even sniff a title let alone have a quality fued like he's been doing in the WWE. Matt is perfectly fine where he is, a established veteran who can help elevate young guys in the midcard.

IMO Matt would just not fit into TNA and he would not be appreciated more by the fans because the fans can care less if even Jeff is there. Matt would get lost in the shuffle in TNA and he does have a better chance staying on Smackdown. Him and Jeff would not be a tag team because Jeff is somewhat of a main eventer in TNA and Matt would be even in greater danger in TNA than he is on SD. Matt has been improving lately where his in-ring work has become so much better since his surgery and even his promos are not that bad. Matt is even doing more than Jeff at the moment. Matt should not jump also because I truly believe Matt will receive a world title before his time is up you can bank on it!!!!

I don't see how his work would be appreciated seeing how Jeff's isn't now.

TNA has been reluctant to push Jeff because they know he's a sinking ship. They can't boost him too high while his legal status remains uncertain. Even if he gets clear of that, who knows if he can be depended on? Also, while TNA was thrilled to grab him, they can't help but see the circumstances under which he left his previous employer: promising to come back after a break and then joining the competition. If they build around Jeff, they may get some of what WWE got.

Matt, on the other hand, might be the kind of guy TNA needs; loyal to the company, hard worker, not commanding big bucks. Given TNA's propensity to screw up their booking, I can see them luring Matt with the promise of a world title run.......then burying him once it's over.

Sure, Matt would be best off staying where he is but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll do what's best.

I think Matt should stay with WWE. I think his loyalty and commitmant to the company could hold him high in the long run. When his wrestling days are behind him he could be given a booker role or talent relations or trainer? I don't know but I would assume he'd still like to be involved behind the scenes once he retires from active wrestling. If he stays he could very well be offered something like that.

His career has certainly been a success even if is at a mid card level he's still done a lot for the business. There wouldn't be much for him in TNA anyways. Jeff is hardly getting any meaningful stories, he's just getting TV time but no real progression. He needs the WWE behind him but that's a different story.

Matt should stay in WWE.

Matt's better off in the WWE. He's got a very solid job there as a mid-carder with crowd credibility that can get other wrestlers over. Remember his program with MVP? They kept that thing alive forever- in a good way- even through repeated injuries.

You can't look at a win-loss record or his position on the card to determine how well he's doing. He's not a main eventer and never will be. But you need people to put other people over, and Matt Hardy has the ability to do that while losing very little of his own credibility.

Now, he's not having much success with Drew McIntyre, but you couldn't get Drew over if you had a catapult to do it with. But you can infer from the program how much the WWE respects Matt Hardy; they really, really, really want Drew over (note to self: Why?!?!?!), and they give him a long program with Matt Hardy.

Now say he goes to TNA; what does he get? He gets a big "OMG, it's Matt Freakin' Hardy!" when he shows up on Impact. He gets tossed into some program with Jeff Hardy, where he will inevitably be "the other Hardy brother", and from there, who knows? There seems to be no rhyme or reason lately to who TNA pushes and who they leave off camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back