Should Jon Jones Move Up To A Heavyweight?

Jon Jones: Light Heavyweight Or Heavyweight?

• Light Heavyweight - He's established his legacy in the 205 pound division

• Heavyweight - He's done all he can and it's time for new challenges in a heavyier weight class

• Undecided - Both sides have valid points.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Over the course of the past year or so, the UFC has been rocked by one controversy after another, most of which have revolved around multiple fighters failing drug tests. One of the fighters generating the most controversy is current UFC Light Heavyweight Champion, Jon Jones; Jones, over the years, has been involved in various incidents ranging from driving under the influence, declining not to go through with a scheduled fight against Chael Sonnen at the last minute, accusations of using homophobic slurs, brawling with Daniel Cormier during a promotional event hyping UFC 178 and failing a drug test he took prior to his bout with Cormier at UFC 182 in which he tested positive for cocaine. Some people just aren't fans of the guy for similar reasons why a lot of people have turned on Floyd Mayweather, Jr.: because he's extremely cocky, yet has a great deal of ability and continues to win fight after fight.

Since his win over Cormier at UFC 182 via unanimous decision on January 3, 2015, there's been talk off & on regarding Jones possibly moving up in weight class to the heavyweight division. Over the course of the past few days, Jones himself seems to have put the breaks on when asked if he was moving up in weight class saying, Honestly, probably not."As I get older I'm maturing a lot more. My weight cuts are becoming a lot more easy. I'm learning how to eat better. I'll probably be at light heavyweight for a long time. I'll probably go to heavyweight for one or two super fights and then get back down to light heavyweight."

As far as those feeling he should move up, I feel one of the primary motives some have for believing he should go to the heavyweight division is because he's been so dominant and that there are no real challenges left for him. After all, since winning the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship on March 19, 2011, Jones has successfully defended the title 8 consecutive times; his 9th defense is scheduled for UFC 187 on May 23, 2015 against Anthony Johnson. If he's successful, he'll be tied with George St. Pierre for the 2nd highest number of consecutive title defenses in UFC history and a 10th successful defense would tie him with Anderson Silva for the #1 spot.

At the same time, I can also see the potential benefits of Jones remaining where he is because he's established one of the most dominant legacies of any division in MMA history. To my knowledge, Jones has always fought as a light heavyweight and has a record of 21-1, with his only loss being due to a technicality as he was disqualified for using the "12-6" elbow strikes, which are downward elbow strikes using the point of the elbow itself rather than utilizing forearm shots, in his bout against Matt Hamill during The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights finale in early December 2009. This decision itself was controversial in that it was This marked the first time that Nevada has used its recently enacted instant replay rule, in which the referee's decision was supported by the commission, which utilized a slow-motion replay to review the elbows. Hamill's nose was already lacerated and couldn't continue the fight due to suffering a dislocated shoulder. To this day, many feel, including UFC President Dana White, feel that the loss shouldn't have counted.

Also, as I alluded to earlier, Jones is one of the most the most dominant fighters in UFC history, or MMA history as a whole. Jones has been UFC Light Heavyweight Champion for just over 4 years now with his 9th consecutive title defense taking place about this time next month, he's 21-1, is ranked by numerous publications as the #1 pound for pound MMA fighter in the world & has been for a few years now and is only 27 years old. If he was to retire tomorrow, his legacy as one of the top MMA fighters of all time would be all but carved in stone so I can understand why he may choose to remain where he is since being a light heavyweight is where he's been unequaled in dominance.

Should he move up or stay where he is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back