UFC Live Fighter Spotlight: Jon Jones

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
This is going to be a feature for this forum, where I'll take a couple of fighters from each major card and do a "spotlight" on them. Usually these fighters won't be someone like a GSP or an Anderson Silva. They're going to be focused mainly on fighters who are:

A.) Serious up and comers
B.) Highly underrated fighters
C.) Fighters who may be released from the UFC, and need a win

For the UFC Live card that's coming up at the beginning of next month, I decided to take a look at Jon Jones, who is undoubtedly a serious up and comer.

Jon Jones, since coming to the UFC, has been extremely impressive. He showed flashes of talent against Andre Gusmao (who was highly touted coming out of the IFL), and in that fight, he demonstrated the raw talent he had with his takedowns, and spinning backfists and back kicks. He took that fight on 3 weeks notice, filling in for the injured Tomasz Drwal. It was completely a "right place at the right time" situation, and Jones made the best of it, gaining a unanimous decision victory.

It was the fight against Stephan Bonnar at UFC 94 that was his true coming out party. In that fight, against a huge crowd favorite, Jones shined, using some spinning back elbows, spinning back fists, spinning back kicks, and even busted out a German Suplex, dominating Stephan Bonnar, gaining another unanimous decision victory. His dominance continued at UFC 100, choking out fantastic bust Jake O'Brien.

It was at the TUF 10 Finale that Jon Jones truly showed how dominant he can be. Matt Hamill was considered his toughest challenge, because like Jones, he is a very strong wrestler with above average striking. Jones took him down and displayed to this day one of the most dominant and brutal displays of ground and pound that I've ever seen. Jones lost that night, but only because of an illegal downward elbow... the fight should have been stopped in the first place.

The UFC didn't punish Jones at all, giving him a main event fight at the first UFC Live on Versus card against Brandon Vera. Vera was at one point like Jon Jones, a young prospect putting up some very impressive wins. However, he fell by the wayside and hadn't been good in awhile. Nonetheless, he was coming off of a very controversial decision loss to Randy Couture, and he posed a very tough challenge to Jones. Jones again dominated with brutal ground and pound, breaking Vera's orbital bone.

In Vladimir Matyushenko, Jones faces a former UFC title contender and a former IFL Champion. He's very boring, but a good test for Jones. He has a 24-4 record, but it really isn't like he's beaten anyone of note besides Lil Nog. Jones should dominate, but I want to get some discussion going on Jones, so here's the question I'm going to pose:

What do you see Jon Jones' upside being?

I think he has all the tools to succeed. He's being pushed by the UFC as their top prospect. They're also making a smart move by putting these last few fights of his on free television as well. It's the best way to really build a fanbase for the guy, where everyone can see him fight for free now, and that can easily translate into PPV buys later on. He's being protected right now, and as much as I'd like to see him against someone like Thiago Silva, the UFC is also being careful, which is a good thing. Why derail a hype train, and why put him in a position where he loses confidence?

He's in with quite possibly the best overall coach and camp with Greg Jackson. Working with that fight camp is invaluable, especially for a young fighter like Jones, who when you think about it, hasn't even hit his actual prime yet.

I honestly think that after Matyushenko, he'll get his first real big fight, with either Lil Nog, Luiz Cane, or maybe even Thiago Silva or Rich Franklin. There's going to be a time where he's going to need to show he can absolutely hang with top competition, and that Dana White was right on in predicting in a recent interview that he'll be UFC Light Heavyweight Champion by the end of 2011.

I think he will absolutely be Light Heavyweight Champion, but probably not until the middle of 2012. The UFC seems like they aren't in any real rush to get him to that point, and they shouldn't be. In the meantime, I'm going to keep looking forward to his exciting fights, and watching him rise to the top of the division. It's going to be a fun ride.

Jones literally has it ALL to be the Michael Jordan of MMA.

He's a young, well-spoken, good-looking kid who's already shown himself to be a beast of a man.

He's actually an EXCITING wrestler. When's the last time we saw an exciting wrestler in MMA? Been a while.. because most of those boring motherfuckers only use their wrestling to lay on top of their opponent for 15 minutes. But not Jon Jones... he doesn't go for a single leg, no.. he goes for suplexes. And when he gets someone to the ground, he doesn't look to lay and hump on him; no, he looks to bash their fucking face in.

Also, on the feet... Jones is very unique. He throws strikes and comes from angles that we've never seen in the sport before. His incredible length lets him pull that off.

So, yeah... I see nothing but great things from this guy. The only thing I worry about is his Jiu-Jitsu, but I'm positive that will improve over time. Outside of that though, right now he's the poster boy of the "future" of the sport, and I totally see this guy as a UFC Champion before 2012 reaches us.

He's a young, well-spoken, good-looking kid who's already shown himself to be a beast of a man.

He's actually an EXCITING wrestler. When's the last time we saw an exciting wrestler in MMA? Been a while.. because most of those boring motherfuckers only use their wrestling to lay on top of their opponent for 15 minutes. But not Jon Jones... he doesn't go for a single leg, no.. he goes for suplexes. And when he gets someone to the ground, he doesn't look to lay and hump on him; no, he looks to bash their fucking face in.

Cain Velasquez, BIAAAAAAAATCCCH. That's when.

While I was totally being serious about Cain Velasquez, I think that Cain and Bones are the two most exciting up-and-comers in MMA. They are very similar and have more in common than people recognize. Both of their stand-up's are much better than the years they have practicing them suggest that they should be. They both change levels and mix it up mid-combination, which, to me, suggests a very high fight IQ. Both have explosive wrestling which has translated very well to MMA. About the only thing that separates them is the fact that Cain is getting his title shot.

About the only thing that separates them is the fact that Cain is getting his title shot.

And the fact that Cain is 27 while Jones is 22. That is the main reason why people are so impressed with the guy. Hes so young, and yet so dominate. Sure they are spitting images of eachother when it comes to style, but what makes Jones so fucking dangerous is he can only get better. He isn't close to his prime yet, and is this dominate and impressive. Sure Cain has impressed me, but Jones is just so far ahead of any rookie I have seen in so long.

I fully expect Jones to become the LHW's long time title holder. Middleweight has Anderson, Welterweight has GSP, and Lightweight had BJ. Now it's time for the LHW's to have one. Jones has shown he has everything it takes to be that guy. He is the future, and I expect he will have a title by the end of 2011 if not earlier. Hes just so dynamic, and I really see nobody that can stop the kid once he really starts getting into his prime. He has everything that it takes to be a top notch fighter. Another thing about him is he is fun as hell to watch. The shit the kid does really amazes me. He is absolutely no fucking joke, and I can't wait to see how he looks in his upcoming fight.

And the fact that Cain is 27 while Jones is 22. That is the main reason why people are so impressed with the guy. Hes so young, and yet so dominate. Sure they are spitting images of eachother when it comes to style, but what makes Jones so fucking dangerous is he can only get better. He isn't close to his prime yet, and is this dominate and impressive. Sure Cain has impressed me, but Jones is just so far ahead of any rookie I have seen in so long.

I fully expect Jones to become the LHW's long time title holder. Middleweight has Anderson, Welterweight has GSP, and Lightweight had BJ. Now it's time for the LHW's to have one. Jones has shown he has everything it takes to be that guy. He is the future, and I expect he will have a title by the end of 2011 if not earlier. Hes just so dynamic, and I really see nobody that can stop the kid once he really starts getting into his prime. He has everything that it takes to be a top notch fighter. Another thing about him is he is fun as hell to watch. The shit the kid does really amazes me. He is absolutely no fucking joke, and I can't wait to see how he looks in his upcoming fight.

Well, yeah obviously the age thing. But Cain is about to have his 7th fight in the octagon and it's for a title, whereas Jones, who's about to have his 6th fight, is getting Matyushenko. Dana is really babying Jones while he BLASTED Cain out the gate. Hard to believe that Cain has been around since Serra vs. St. Pierre 2. Jones has been around since St. Pierre vs. Fitch as well. Crazy, they need to give Jones his due.

Well, yeah obviously the age thing. But Cain is about to have his 7th fight in the octagon and it's for a title, whereas Jones, who's about to have his 6th fight, is getting Matyushenko. Dana is really babying Jones while he BLASTED Cain out the gate. Hard to believe that Cain has been around since Serra vs. St. Pierre 2. Jones has been around since St. Pierre vs. Fitch as well. Crazy, they need to give Jones his due.

I think Cain getting a title shot relatively early is based off of two things.
1. He's been putting in the work and has looked great doing it.
2. Dana really wants to use Cain to tap into the latino market(mostly Mexican-Americans, they're the reason De La Hoya is the biggest PPV draw in the history of PPV)

Back on topic, I think Bones has a great career ahead of him, he's got the skills, training partners and coaches to go as far as he wants.

I think alot of people are sleeping on Vlad, but with Greg Jackson in his corner I see Jones with his hand raised.

I think Cain getting a title shot relatively early is based off of two things.
1. He's been putting in the work and has looked great doing it.
2. Dana really wants to use Cain to tap into the latino market(mostly Mexican-Americans, they're the reason De La Hoya is the biggest PPV draw in the history of PPV)

Back on topic, I think Bones has a great career ahead of him, he's got the skills, training partners and coaches to go as far as he wants.

I think alot of people are sleeping on Vlad, but with Greg Jackson in his corner I see Jones with his hand raised.

I'm cosigning this statement. I'm not sleeping on Vlad. He's actually one of my favorite fighters, but I just can't see him winning this fight in any way. Not to mention Greg "motherfucking" Jackson. There's not a coach in MMA that game-plans as well as Jackson. When his fighters actually stick to his gameplan, they usually win. It almost saddens me that I am going to see Bones steamroll one of my favorite fighters. At least I have one fighter left at LHW that I don't think Bones can beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back