Should family be used in a storyline...........

Fallen Angel 21.3

Getting Noticed By Management
Now as I was watching RAW tonight as most of you know we see the return or Brian Lawler. He basicly comes out and has a spat on live tv with his father Jerry Lawler saying he was ashamed of his dad and that he was never there for him. Jerry also said that his son was a screwup. Also a couple weeks ago you had Cole say that his dead mother got to watch Jerry lose to the AWESOME MIZ.

Go into TNA we had Jarrett using Kurt Angle's own kids in videos saying how they call him "daddy" Jarrett. Saying that Angle was a deadbeat dad and a bunch of other shit.

Rick Rude was hitting on Jake Roberts wife and actually put Robert's wife face on his trunks, which sent Jack into an uproar and he actually pulled off his tights and exposed Rude on tv.

What i am basicly saying is I know there is a fine line between real and fake and most of the time wrestling crosses the line and goes into real life problems, but I do find it distrubing heels using a face's own family to get fake heat what does everybody else think........

I think you can use family IF there are no KIDS involved. Since Brian is not a kid anymore, I think its fine to use him. But I just don't agree with kids being used in the kind of storyline TNA has them right now. When Cole mentioned his mother (obviously he was told to say that and Jerry probably okayed it), that is taking it to far.

Basically
Not dead/not kid - Okay
Kid/dead - Not Okay

Family involvement usually enhances a storyline, just like when Randy Orton punted Cena's dad in 2007. That was the fuel that lit that raging fire under Cena and raised their feud to new heights.

When the McMahons collaborate for a storyline it's always entertaining as well. I don't using family is such a big deal, it could either be boring and irrelevant (like Sexay's return tonight) or exciting and eventful like Orton destroying Cody Rhodes in his feud with Dusty.

to be honest, wwe and tna, and any other show/company that lets people who are feuding, mention other peoples family is garbage. that is one line you should never cross and the fact that people do cross that line, well, its BS! it shouldnt happen, cole just, well, he looks even worse (if it had been possible).

It may have been felt as inappropriate but it did one thing for sure, it caught everyones attention and made the feud ten times more personal. I think things like this come up to question now than ever before is because the WWE is going on the edge right now, they are pushing borders of PG Era and previous Eras whether anyone wants to admit it or not, and going on the edge no is something a lot of people aren't used to so it brings up speculation.

I think Lawler and his son were executed perfectly, and JR's presence as well, made the feud that much more to look forward to. I mean, who really wants to look forward to a match between commentators at Wrestlemania... well thanks to how they're building it out... I can say that I am looking forward to watching it.

It's amazing that some people from time to time can forget these things are scripted. I know that's not literally true but it sure seems that way. What's wrong with using family? Obviously the family agreed to the storylines or they would not have been done. WWE is a scripted television show. Nothing more. Family issues are used all the time in television. It just so happens the actors here are actual family members. I really don't see the big deal.

Yes. As long as the wrestler is comfortable with the content, and context in which thier family is used.
Growing up and knowing what wrestling is from a very young age it was sometimes difficult to invest in the story. Bret Hart always got my attention I think partially because his family was so involved. Hart's feuds with Owen and Davey just had that "true" feeling to them because the lines were blured.
Anyone old enough to have seen the Hart-Lawler feud? Fucking brilliant.
Bottom line: if the wrestler involved are ok with it, and it's not ******ed...I'm all for it. Used correctly it blurs the reality/entertainment line and can help people invest in the product.

It's amazing that some people from time to time can forget these things are scripted. I know that's not literally true but it sure seems that way. What's wrong with using family? Obviously the family agreed to the storylines or they would not have been done. WWE is a scripted television show. Nothing more. Family issues are used all the time in television. It just so happens the actors here are actual family members. I really don't see the big deal.

We all know its scripted but comeon man like I said before there is a line between FAKE AND REAL. So your saying is that if you real life wife was being used in storyline with another man who was her ex you wouldn't be pissed a little bit. If you son said in front of a crowd and on tv in front of millions of people saying that your a disgrace daddy and i hate you that wouldn't be a hit below the belt. If your exgirlfriend was with another man on live tv and is saying a bunch of shit about you and your manhood. That wouldn't be taking it a little too far for you. Because thats basicly what you are saying.

We all know its scripted but comeon man like I said before there is a line between FAKE AND REAL. So your saying is that if you real life wife was being used in storyline with another man who was her ex you wouldn't be pissed a little bit. If you son said in front of a crowd and on tv in front of millions of people saying that your a disgrace daddy and i hate you that wouldn't be a hit below the belt. If your exgirlfriend was with another man on live tv and is saying a bunch of shit about you and your manhood. That wouldn't be taking it a little too far for you. Because thats basicly what you are saying.

I am saying that if everyone involved agrees to the script there is nothing wrong with it. I'm sure if either Brian Christopher or Jerry Lawler was uncomfortable with tonight's segment it would not have taken place. Instead as professionals they both realize it is simply an angle to further a storyline. If I was a wrestler and was not comfortable having my wife involved in an angle she would not be involved. Simple as that.

I am saying that if everyone involved agrees to the script there is nothing wrong with it. I'm sure if either Brian Christopher or Jerry Lawler was uncomfortable with tonight's segment it would not have taken place. Instead as professionals they both realize it is simply an angle to further a storyline. If I was a wrestler and was not comfortable having my wife involved in an angle she would not be involved. Simple as that.

And what i am saying dude is that you might be comforable doing the storyline at the moment but when it comes down to it and you hear it being said, sooner or later it would feel like a shot below the belt. Lord knows that Kurt Angle is comfortable having his children being all around TNA tv. Showing how Jarrett is the perfect Step-dad while Kurt is being labeled a dead-beat dad. Look at how Dustin Rhodes marrage when his wife was being the personal assistant to her exboyfriend. Or how Matt was all dandy with his exgifriend being with Edge. Because that storyline went perfect

And what i am saying dude is that you might be comforable doing the storyline at the moment but when it comes down to it and you hear it being said, sooner or later it would feel like a shot below the belt. Lord knows that Kurt Angle is comfortable having his children being all around TNA tv. Showing how Jarrett is the perfect Step-dad while Kurt is being labeled a dead-beat dad. Look at how Dustin Rhodes marrage when his wife was being the personal assistant to her exboyfriend. Or how Matt was all dandy with his exgifriend being with Edge. Because that storyline went perfect

Honestly I'm not sure why this is even a topic. Has there been a case where someone involved in a personal storyline has voiced a real discomfort? You're just assuming people are uncomfortable with it. For all we know these guys could be having the time of their lives having their family involved with their work. These people are in show business. They love to perfrom and entertain. Usually people like that have a good sense of humor and know how to separate scripted entertainment from real life.

Ok let me see if I can answer this question with a very clear and concise answer that is easy to understand... Should Family be used in a storyline?

NO!

Honestly I'm not sure why this is even a topic. Has there been a case where someone involved in a personal storyline has voiced a real discomfort? You're just assuming people are uncomfortable with it. For all we know these guys could be having the time of their lives having their family involved with their work. These people are in show business. They love to perfrom and entertain. Usually people like that have a good sense of humor and know how to separate scripted entertainment from real life.

Kurt Angle has voiced on how he feels on his current fued with Jeff Jarrett and he doesn't like the Fued and Hulk wanted him to do and and Angle is a trooper and does what he can do for a company he loves. Now dude you have to agree with me here i now most of the fueds that involve personal family matters and the family itself everybody has to be professional about it, but sooner or later that shit has to dig at you until you finally snap on camera and let the real emotions fly out that are not scripted. Also if you don't believe me on the Kurt Angle saying how he feels look around on wrestlezone because the interview is there and Hogan is helping him out on every detail making sure Angle is okay with everything.

Should family be used in the storyline??...

Depends on the content.

Right now, TNA has the Angle/Jarrett family feud, and I turn the channel with that. It's stupid, and really doesn't help build anything. I mean, if Kurt Angle makes Jarrett taps at a Pay-per-view, where does that lead him and his career. Really not worth it.

Another bad example was The Big Show and the Big Boss Man. Where the Big Boss Man hooked the coffin up to his car, and dragged it threw the cemetery. Really wasn't a needed, and didn't help anything.

Now, Jerry Lawler vs. Bret Hart. That was family used correctly. It went over very well, and not a person in the crowd didn't boo Lawler.

Macho Man and Miss Elizabeth. That went over very well, both WWF and WCW.

So, when it comes down to it. If they can use it correctly, and have that sense of realism, that it can work alright. If you have crap. Then it's going to fall.

Family in feuds is fine, as long as everyone involved, is ok with it.
Obviously the Wife has to sign on it, and I'm sure if one of the kids really didn't want involved, they would be left out of it (Hey, the kids probably love being on TV)

Nobody is being forced into these storylines. Kurt Angle is a Company man, hes put a lot of things into TNA, and his family and personal life aren't that much a stretch from other things hes put out on Televsion.

I was a little against the story when the kids popped in, but at this point, its actually one of the better things airing on TNA.

I think family being used to elevate feuds is fine.What I have a problem with are the companies exploiting real-world situations to try to advance or start a feud.Orton saying Eddie Guerrero is in hell,not cool.Cole saying that King disappointed his dead mother,not cool.Turning Kurt and Karen Angle's divorce and her relationship with Jeff Jarrett into a storyline,not cool.I didn't like the Rey Mysterio/Eddie Guerrero feud where they claimed Rey's son was actually Eddie's son.I mean,that's some stuff that can get a kid bullied in school or worse,mentally traumatize him.I'm against kids being put in the middle of storylines,but I'm fine with CM Punk singing a creepy Happy Birthday to Rey's daughter.It didn't bring her into the storyline but it elevated the feud.

I thought Brian Christopher smack talking Jerry Lawler on Raw was alright from a moral standpoint.These guys are professionals,and I'm sure that they're not being forced into doing anything they don't want to.I doubt Jerry Lawler and his son would get into a big fight because they were just acting.It's like saying Angelina Jolie would have a problem with Brad Pitt acting in a movie where he would be married to another actress.Actors know how to separate their feelings.They would have a big problem if they couldn't separate real life from fiction.Wrestlers are also actors,it just happens that their characters sometimes share the same names.

Besides,after all the McMahon family's been through,they're still a happy family,sort of.

Well considering some of the most successful storylines over the last 10 15 years in WWE have involved the McMahon family at war, and one of ECW's most iconic storylines was Raven stealing away the Sandman's family I do think that family can be involved in storylines that work.

I do not like the fact WWE mentioned King's recently deceased mother, I thought that was uncomfortable to watch, but the return of Brian Lawler this week was fine. Brian is a wrestler, a PERFORMER, who was obviously ok with this. I thought that was no issue at all.

It is a tough choice to make, but if it is done right it can be ok. I feel a bit stupid saying I hated the Eddie/Rey/Dominick "I'm your Papi" storyline because it involved a young kid, while really enjoying the Raven/Sandman/Tyler storyline. Perhaps because Raven was not saying he was the Kid's dad? That is the only thing I can think of as to why my opinion is different.

I also hate the Jarrett/Angle storyline right now, I think its tasteless as it is playing off a real life issue which surely cannot help the kids adjust. I just do not like it.

Overall, I think in some situations family can be used, and it will work. But, other situations should not be brought into wrestling. I have found this quite difficult to put down in words, I just get a gut feeling as to whether I like a family-related storyline or not, but I hope you understand what I mean

Kurt Angle has voiced on how he feels on his current fued with Jeff Jarrett and he doesn't like the Fued and Hulk wanted him to do and and Angle is a trooper and does what he can do for a company he loves. Now dude you have to agree with me here i now most of the fueds that involve personal family matters and the family itself everybody has to be professional about it, but sooner or later that shit has to dig at you until you finally snap on camera and let the real emotions fly out that are not scripted. Also if you don't believe me on the Kurt Angle saying how he feels look around on wrestlezone because the interview is there and Hogan is helping him out on every detail making sure Angle is okay with everything.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the wrestler has a right to say no. If an idea is pitched to him from the creative team and he agrees then who is at fault? It may sting a bit, but hurt feelings is often a reasonable price to pay for good business to these professionals. I highly doubt emotions will get the best of these guys while on camera. Again, they are professionals. If things start to go too far they can talk about it during “rehearsal” (for lack of a better term).

As for Angle and Jarrett, I’ll admit that storyline may have gone too far. I don’t watch TNA much. A couple months ago I saw Jarrett at home with Karen and the kids. I wasn’t really paying attention and didn’t know about the storyline. I didn’t know those were Angle’s kids. Considering their parents had gone through a divorce and they had to now adjust to life with Jarrett it would have been wise to leave the kids out of it. I still think a storyline between Angle and Jarrett without the kids would be ok. Adults obviously have a better understanding of the world. Given all that went down in their lives using the kids could be a little too close to home and too much to handle. I can’t think of any other examples off the top of my head where using the family went too far.

I'm fine with it, to be honest. The only time I find it a bit irritating is when they exploit something that is ULTRA-personal, i.e. Kurt Angle/Karen Jarrett/Jeff Jarrett. That, to me, is just a blatant ploy for viewers. The content of the storyline distracts from the quality, it makes the viewers uncomfortable. Last night on Raw, I thought they did a fine job. The Lawler angle was a nice build up to the 'Mania match, it accomplished everything that needed to be done. Now, you may think I'm being a hypocrite, but I'm really not. They're making Angle out to be a maniac with this storyline, they're really going too far. I'd understand if they didn't throw the children in there and flaunt his wife around in front of his face. Sure, he signed off on it, but I doubt he's really enjoying himself. Another distasteful one was the whole Eddie/Rey/Dominic storyline. Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterio fighting for custody of a child, I mean... REALLY?! That was another line they shouldn't have crossed, and while they had nice matches, I couldn't focus on that because of the ABSURD storyline.

What I'm trying to say is that family can be used if it's not a totally despicable storyline. If you want to use them to give it the faux appearance of being personal, then fine, but don't actually make it personal.

I think a lot of it comes down to who the family members are. If its a wrestler whose family has real ties to wrestling, like Dusty getting involved with Cody's feud with Rey, the Harts sibling rivalries in the 90s, things of that nature, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. The discomfort for me comes when the storyline involves someone completely without ties to wrestling. This would include the Big Boss Man's mom (even though she was never actually shown, IIRC), Rey's son Dominic, using Kurt and Karen Angle's children and similar avenues. It all depends on the situation.

I think it depends on if that family member is actually (or wants to be) in the business or not.

Like WCW using Reid Flair, WWE using Brian Lawler and others isn't that big of a deal to me, because that's just how they're gonna get some heat for the heel. I mean let's face it, Brian and Jerry have hated each other in storylines for years, and have teamed with each other for years. This honestly is NOTHING new to me. In fact, I called it when Cole said "I've brought someone from your past" because I've seen them use Brian or The Kat so many times in Lawler rivalries it isn't funny.

Likewise, in WCW, when they used Reid Flair in a storyline, I was ok with that. Reid's been trained by his father and a lot of other legends... it's not that big of a deal.

In TNA, with them using Devon's kids, I don't see a problem with that either. They are (or almost) 16 years old, the minimum age to wrestle in Florida. They're able to decide whether or not they want to be in the business, and that's fine. I really don't mind that.

But on the flip side, I don't think dead relatives or kids should be dragged into it. As someone said before, "It's usually pre-agreed upon"... well that's not exactly true. Who's to say that Kurt's kids aren't bothered by them being in the storyline and Jarrett/Karen are trying to create some kind of child prodigy? And furthermore, whatever happened to Rest in Peace? Jerry's mother has passed away so let her rest.

So yeah, my opinion is that if THEY can make the decision then it's ok but if THEY can't then no. Hell, even Kurt has already addressed it publicly that he's not too fond of having his kids involved and he has a right to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back